Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Average Weight of a 50+

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Average Weight of a 50+

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-11, 01:12 PM

Bikes: Specialized, Felt, Surly, Masi,Giant

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
58, 5'11'' 170#
Old 06-07-11, 01:49 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by volosong
Can't answer for other people, but I know that when I lost 40 pounds, I was able to discontinue diabetes medicine. That alone is enough to make me watch my weight closely. Cycling help to control the weight. I'm still a diabetic, but now all I need to do is keep up the exercise and watch what I eat.
Congratulations! That is wonderful. My wife works for a dialysis company. So many of their patients are diabetic, probably didn't take care of themselves very well, and eventually their kidneys failed. If more were like you, there would be a lot more unemployed health care professionals (that would be a good thing). I've always been very active & slim, but she's a very positive influence on me as far as a better diet. In return, I'm a positive influence on her regarding exercise.
Old 06-07-11, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
I'm merely giving the reason why I want to lose weight (you'd asked that previously). My bike is light as outfitted-ly possible for a vintage ride....now it's my turn.
Please don't take my comment as an affront. It's not meant that way. I think it's good whenever anyone reaches a health goal (and as I type this I realize that body size and health are two completely different things). I just find that so often people make everything in life a contest. I suspect there is more than a modicum of this evident in this particular thread.
Old 06-07-11, 04:12 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
Please don't take my comment as an affront. It's not meant that way. I think it's good whenever anyone reaches a health goal (and as I type this I realize that body size and health are two completely different things). I just find that so often people make everything in life a contest. I suspect there is more than a modicum of this evident in this particular thread.
Not offended in the least. It's just the way I approach things that are physical.
Old 06-07-11, 10:25 PM

Bikes: Me; Fuji Road Bike and GT Mountain Bike; spouse Cannondale Road Bike and GT Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forget height and weight, forget BMI, what is your body composition? How many pounds of lean mass, how many pounds of fat mass? This is the key to goal setting, performance and understanding your nutritional needs. It's a lot tougher to keep your body fat lower as you age. Hours in the saddle and your nutritional program are key to bringing the body fat percentage back in line. TJMAX
Old 06-08-11, 07:32 AM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NOS88
With a strong correlation between them.
Old 06-08-11, 07:34 AM
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TJMAX
Forget height and weight, forget BMI, what is your body composition? How many pounds of lean mass, how many pounds of fat mass? This is the key to goal setting, performance and understanding your nutritional needs. It's a lot tougher to keep your body fat lower as you age. Hours in the saddle and your nutritional program are key to bringing the body fat percentage back in line. TJMAX
What is a good and easy way to measure this, short of having a "bod pod" in your living room?
Old 06-08-11, 09:00 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
What is a good and easy way to measure this, short of having a "bod pod" in your living room?
When your winter blue jeans fall off or at least cause a severe busting of the sag.....you just might be on your way to a low fat pound ratio
Old 06-08-11, 10:10 AM

Bikes: 1973 Peugeot UE-8, 1985 Schwinn Voyageur, 2010 Trek 1.2, 2012 Bianchi Siempre

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
185 lbs, but I have a small frame. Should be closer to 165. 5'10", 52.
Old 06-08-11, 08:04 PM

Bikes: 88 Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As Barney Fife used to say "I'm up, I'm down, 168 1/4 - 168 1/2." (6' even).
Old 06-08-11, 09:54 PM
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
When your winter blue jeans fall off or at least cause a severe busting of the sag.....you just might be on your way to a low fat pound ratio
They've been doing that for months; I have to use a belt, using the last hole available. I just saw a photo of me and my wife at a party a year ago. Unbelievable how heavy (and out of shape) I looked compared to now.
Old 06-09-11, 08:10 AM
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,286 Times in 710 Posts
Forget height and weight, forget BMI, what is your body composition?
"Pure Moral Fiber"

(168lbs, 6', 50 years old in case anyone's still counting)
Old 06-11-11, 03:34 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
64 yo. 5'8" 157 lbs.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 06-11-11, 06:23 PM
Roadkill

Bikes: 2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
165 after my ride today. Lowest I've been since college.

Weight after rehydrating & eating, more like 169.
Old 06-12-11, 03:31 PM

Bikes: Me; Fuji Road Bike and GT Mountain Bike; spouse Cannondale Road Bike and GT Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AzTallRider, you can buy weight scales today that allow you to plug in your height, body type, amount of exercise you do and the scale will give you your body fat percentage as well as weight. Also, you should be able to get your body fat percentage done at a local gym, by a personal trainer, or at many sports nutrition stores. Bod Pod is pretty much state of the art. The whole idea is to set a benchmark and then plot progress from there. People who become obsessed by weight loss alone often tend to lose more muscle than fat weight which is counter productive.

TJMAX
Old 06-13-11, 10:37 AM

Bikes: Argon Gallium, E-112, Trek Boone, Specialized Epic Expert

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
159 lbs 5' 10" small frame now all the flab is gone.
Old 06-13-11, 12:05 PM
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
AzTallRider, you can buy weight scales today that allow you to plug in your height, body type, amount of exercise you do and the scale will give you your body fat percentage as well as weight. Also, you should be able to get your body fat percentage done at a local gym, by a personal trainer, or at many sports nutrition stores. Bod Pod is pretty much state of the art. The whole idea is to set a benchmark and then plot progress from there. People who become obsessed by weight loss alone often tend to lose more muscle than fat weight which is counter productive.

TJMAX
I guess my real question is "do the home scales do a reasonable job of calculating body fat percentage?"

My stepson's school has a bod pod as part of a program of education and evaluation involving the whole student body. Over time, everyone has been evelauated. I should see if they will use me as a guinea pig example of a mature man who has radically reduced his body fat.
Old 06-13-11, 01:59 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
I guess my real question is "do the home scales do a reasonable job of calculating body fat percentage?"

My stepson's school has a bod pod as part of a program of education and evaluation involving the whole student body. Over time, everyone has been evelauated. I should see if they will use me as a guinea pig example of a mature man who has radically reduced his body fat.
Probably not... Since the home scale or even a health club machine typically uses body resistance, the resistance or water content of the skin is a factor as well as hydration in general. The only accurate method I know of is underwater weighing.

I told this story before.... I wanted to get my body fat tested in the gym by a trainer using body fat calipers. The trainer was an older more experienced person who took the skin fold measurement. He then went to a chart and told me I had 14% body fat. What was interesting is he added the 3 measurement together and then went to a table and based upon age read off the body fat. If I had been 25 years old my body fat would have been 6%. So I asked him what was going on and he said that older people tend to store fat around their organs which is not being picked up in the skin fold measurements. I said, look, I have a flat stomach that has been the same for decades. He says, look you are in great shape what do you want you body fat to be.

Okay, I get it. It is just not that accurate. Even the resistance scales require an age input and some have an athletic setting to offset the athletes from the general population.

AZT. Look in the mirror and say. Mirror mirror on the wall who is the skinniest of them all?
Old 06-13-11, 02:42 PM
I need speed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hermes
AZT. Look in the mirror and say. Mirror mirror on the wall who is the skinniest of them all?
Right now I'm using the "Am I within a quarter pound of being so skinny my wife will divorce me" method.
Old 06-13-11, 06:04 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
The belt hole method works best.
Old 06-14-11, 02:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
5' 9 and 1/2", 168 lbs plus the bicycle.
Old 06-15-11, 06:01 AM

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
142, 5'7", 52.
Old 06-15-11, 07:34 AM
Ebbe

Bikes: 11 Fuji, 79 Miyata 210, Trek MB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
54 next Tuesday, 6' 265

Actually in pretty decent shape compared to most people (that I know)

I play basketball 2-3 times a week and try to ride 15-20 miles on the weekend.
Old 09-20-16, 05:31 AM

Bikes: Argon Gallium, E-112, Trek Boone, Specialized Epic Expert

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shreck
159 lbs 5' 10" small frame now all the flab is gone.
Looking through some old posts, 159lbs in 2011

Well look now 147lbs and hardly any meat left on the bones. Due to strict diet of not eating the poison's of modern foods.

Old 09-20-16, 09:20 AM
Very Old Newbie

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport Carbon

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I will be 65 in January. 6' 237. Down from nearly 280. Headed to sub 200 I hope.

Just added cycling to my regiment to burn more calories and spend less time doing full weight bearing exercise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.