Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Old 12-31-20, 01:41 PM
ParamountScapin

Bikes: '87 Paramount & '02 Scapin EOS3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Please tell us your age.
73 & 2 weeks.

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?.
Currently a pair of tigged-steel Scapin from 2005, or so. Have ridden them all (Ti, Ti-carbon, lugged steel, full carbon, aluminum) over the years and tigged or lugged steel are the most comfortable for me.
2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
Half a multivitamin, small D & C daily just to keep my immune system good.
3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?
Never been fast, so likely not much.
4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?
Think I started off on my sister's "girl's" (funny these days) bike when I was 5. That is my first memory on a bike.
5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.
Rode with my local club's twice weekly rides (25-35mi), centuries within a reasonable distance drive and every year or two an epic (Bike VA, Bike CO, etc.).
6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?
Mostly in the basement these days on the magnetic trainer. 3-5 times/week for 30-45 minutes. Also walk and do light weights. Really no longer feel safe on the road as cell phones are in almost everyone's hand.
Old 01-05-21, 08:50 AM
bondaroo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age.

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?.
At the moment, just a Specialized Crosstrail. It's my commuter, my light trail, my recreation. In the past I've had road and mountain too. Looking at my husband's guitar collection the other day makes me feel like it's a good time to start considering a +1 for spring.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
No

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?
I've never pushed myself physically much. It's always just been about enjoying the moment, or getting where I'm going. As I get older I am more of a weather wimp, though.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?
Mom used to tell a story about how one day I asked for my training wheels off. She told me to wait for Dad to come home from work and he'd teach me to ride. Next thing she knew she looked out the kitchen window and I was pedalling down the sidewalk, the training wheels and a wrench laying in the driveway. I was four, so almost 50 years.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.
Short rec, and sometimes commuting. I don't enjoy riding in groups, so almost all of it alone.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?
Not as much as I wish I did.
Old 02-25-21, 05:58 PM
spillai

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello everyone

I am trying to understand the market for 50+ cyclist's needs and problems. If anyone is interested to share their views for 15-20mins, it would be great! Please ping me on chat.

SP
Old 02-28-21, 05:43 PM
montagna_lunga
sc*l*tor*

Bikes: legion

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
I thought there might be some interest in a thread such as this. If not, it will go the way of all threads - just die away.

So, here is my first contribution.
Some questions:

Please tell us your age. 65

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? Old steel, us-built & british isles-continental

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? I do, B12 and D2 in the a.m., quercetin and saw palmetto with breakfast, multi-vitamin with meals & cranberry extract

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? Every time I ride, oh....you asked how much, not how often, I live near Boulder so no group rides for me anymore

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life? All my life but seriously since high school (1969)

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides. Yes, and thank-you for letting me join! -Dale Phelps, Montagna lunga Colorado USA