Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 09-17-11, 05:48 PM   #1
OKIE_55

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Getting back into riding

Hello, it's been a long time since I've rode much.

First time out, I couldn't believe I was out of shape that bad. My legs burned in a very short time. 2nd and 3rd times were better. Returned the bike I only rode 5 minutes, I could tell I wouldn't like it. Better bike, a hybrid, went 2 miles around the house, wasn't to bad. Next day went to an old rail trail and rode almost 8 miles, was a workout, but felt good. Next day rode 5 miles around the house again, checking out distance to different locations. I get tired, and wet, but feel better.

And yes I did get a good helmet, better than my bike, from what I've read so far about bikes.
OKIE_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-11, 06:00 PM   #2
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Welcome, and please share your stories of riding with us.

A hybrid is a pretty good "starter" bike. And, it may be the only bike you will ever need or want. On the other hand, many of us get the n+1 syndrome, and start looking at and acquiring different types of bikes, until, like me, you have a recumbent, mtn bike, two road bikes and a vintage road bike, along with 3 other bikes for the family.

Enjoy the forum

You are an OKIE who lives in FL??????????????

Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-17-11 at 07:44 PM.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-11, 07:32 PM   #3
Ridinmurray

Bikes: Specialized
Glad your back & look forward to following your return.
Ridinmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-11, 07:33 PM   #4
Big Bad G

Bikes:
I'm back in the saddle again and like you have a hybrid. It took me a month to get up to eight miles, you should be very proud that you have moved this far in such a short period of time.
Big Bad G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-11, 07:35 PM   #5
doctor j

Bikes:
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
OKIE_55, well done on the rides and the new wheels! You too Big Bad G.
doctor j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-11, 10:27 PM   #6
skilsaw

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
Welcome to the forum.
Glad you got the bike sorted out instead of cashing in your chips after the first ride.
I get leg pain if I try and push too high a gear.
Spinning my pedals in a lower gear doesn't hurt.

Good luck.
skilsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 05:48 AM   #7
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Hey, keep at it and you will be glad you did. Go easy on yourself and not try to get back to "where you were" years ago too quickly. Enjoy the simple life with knees to the breeze and wind in the spokes.
OldsCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 06:01 AM   #8
OKIE_55

Bikes:
I signed up for a local ride on a paved railroad right of way, it's 46 miles long. I signed up for 14 miles, so I rode 8 miles the other day to make sure I can make it the 7 miles each way. Took yesterday off to rest, can't wait to get back out today. The trail ride should be something, last year 1144 riders signed up.

http://railstotrailsonline.com/index.php
Old 09-18-11, 06:09 AM   #9
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
thanks for the link!
rumrunn6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 06:22 AM   #10
dguest

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 2008 Cannondale Six13 3
Welcome to the forum, I started much like you did and since that have moved to having a hybrid and a raod bike for both me and the wife. Hope you stay here with us, there is a lot of information and fellowship floating on this board.
dguest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 06:48 AM   #11
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKIE_55 View Post
I signed up for a local ride on a paved railroad right of way, it's 46 miles long. I signed up for 14 miles, so I rode 8 miles the other day to make sure I can make it the 7 miles each way. Took yesterday off to rest, can't wait to get back out today. The trail ride should be something, last year 1144 riders signed up.

http://railstotrailsonline.com/index.php
Welcome to BF and to the 50+ group. You must live in the Tampa Bay area. I am doing the Miles for Hope ride in Clearwater this coming Saturday (9/24) and was planning on doing the Rails To Trails ride as well. Unfortunately, we had to take a Sunday (10/2) flight back to Tampa for our vacation and won't be able to do that ride. I think you will really enjoy the ride. Remember to just ride at your pace and don't push yourself. It's not a race and your goal is to finish. Good luck with the ride and maybe some day we can meet and do a ride together.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
John_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 09:04 AM   #12
Dan Burkhart 

Bikes:
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Welcome. I love these stories of re-discovered joy of cycling. The endurance will improve. Just be sure to keep the fun in it.
Dan Burkhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 11:27 AM   #13
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
Quote:
. . . can't wait to get back out today . . . .
That, more than anything else, is evidence you are doing something right.
gcottay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 12:57 PM   #14
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Welcome back and I think that at your stage the best thing you could have done was to get "A" bike and ride it.

Too many feel that they have to get a decent $1,000 bike with all the right bits on it to be able to get back. Not so as you are finding out but watch out. N+1 Craving can hit very soon so wait for a good few months before thinking about the next bike. Then think about it and test ride for another few months. Wish I had .

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 05:38 PM   #15
OKIE_55

Bikes:
Just got back from riding 7.3 miles, a little tired but feel better than when I left.
I wanted to keep going, but didn't want to push it.

Tried out a dew rag under my helmet, as I'm bald, seemed to work well. When I reached my return point, I poured water on my head, stayed cool most of the way home. Need to get something as I sweat a lot, and don't like it in my eyes, and wear glasses.

Now to pick a place to ride to tomorrow.
Old 09-19-11, 05:30 PM   #16
OKIE_55

Bikes:
Just got back from 9.78 miles, I'm surprise I'm not as tired, or wet, as my first ride.
Tires were a little soft, raised the pressure a bit, sure rolls faster.

Think I just found my route to town for lunch, nice quiet local roads most of it.
Old 09-19-11, 05:34 PM   #17
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Just got back from 9.78 miles, I'm surprise I'm not as tired, or wet, as my first ride.
Tires were a little soft, raised the pressure a bit, sure rolls faster.

Think I just found my route to town for lunch, nice quiet local roads most of it.
What tire pressure are you running?

Most hybrids with 700 x 38 should run somewhere between 60 - 80 psi, but not more than the max pressure on the side of the tire.
Old 09-19-11, 06:23 PM   #18
OKIE_55

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post

Most hybrids with 700 x 38 should run somewhere between 60 - 80 psi, but not more than the max pressure on the side of the tire.
At 78psi now, had them at 74.
I noticed a lot of side wall flex, now it's just a little bit.
Old 09-19-11, 06:26 PM   #19
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
At 78psi now, had them at 74.
I noticed a lot of side wall flex, now it's just a little bit.
That is strange that 4 psi made a difference!! Interesting.
Old 09-19-11, 08:41 PM   #20
colpatrick

Bikes: Specialized Crossroads
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post

I run at 100 on my hybrid tires; anything below 85psi feels like riding in sand.
colpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-11, 08:52 PM   #21
dahut
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Bikes:
Quote:
Hello, it's been a long time since I've rode much.

First time out, I couldn't believe I was out of shape that bad. My legs burned in a very short time. 2nd and 3rd times were better. Returned the bike I only rode 5 minutes, I could tell I wouldn't like it. Better bike, a hybrid, went 2 miles around the house, wasn't to bad. Next day went to an old rail trail and rode almost 8 miles, was a workout, but felt good. Next day rode 5 miles around the house again, checking out distance to different locations. I get tired, and wet, but feel better.

And yes I did get a good helmet, better than my bike, from what I've read so far about bikes.
Well good for you. You will be glad you did it. I know I am.

At 54 I ride two hours at a time, with ease. Today it was 2 hours of hill intervals - up one, down the backside and up another. 20+ miles.
Not fast, but the hills are many and steep.

You will get there, just keep riding and not thinking too much. As for the helmet - not a deal breaker, contrary to what some might suggest. I rode with only a 'doo rag today... and survived.

Last edited by dahut; 09-20-11 at 08:18 AM.
dahut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-11, 11:34 PM   #22
alanknm

Bikes: Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
Congratulations !!

Cycling is addictive and I'll be the first one to admit that. Two years ago, I was overweight, out of shape and gaining weight at an alarming rate.

I started with a hybrid that I bought couple of years before, went out for a ride and came back feeling like something the cat dragged in after 5 miles. I kept on going and after a few months I really , really wanted to get back on a road bike.

Since I was a roadie once upon a time ago, I spent the winter doing my research and got the bike that fit me to a tee, was just right for my needs and I was back on the road in the spring. I also got a Garmin Forerunner that I also use for kayaking (a new sport for me) and xc-skiing (another pastime I've started doing again) as a concession to my wife (not overdoing it and dropping dead somewhere) and for me it was probably one of the best things I've ever spent money on.

It's been just over 6 months and almost 1500 miles later and I've been putting in over 100 miles a week without blinking.
Most of my rides during the week are limited to about an hour because of work and I try to get in about 50-60 miles on the weekends when I have the time.

I've gone down from 192 to 175, my HR had dropped about 10 beats or more and I'm getting stronger and stronger every month. I'd like to take off another 10 pounds but losing the last 5 took me about 5 months so it's going to take a bit. I need to take my bike in and get the stem flipped and the bars lowered down some more so that I can get into a more aero position (speed is addictive as well ).

Take your time, listen to your body and remember not to over do it. Those days off the bike can be just as important as those days off. More importantly, don't forget to eat and drink as well and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

And don't forget that this isn't just exercise, it's fun.
alanknm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-11, 12:11 PM   #23
OKIE_55

Bikes:
Went for a ride to town for lunch, it was great, 15.43 miles when I got home. I'm tired, but still not as much as when I first started, even had a few dry spots on my shirt. I forgot about the things you see, hear, and smell while out riding. Came upon a lizard on the sidewalk downtown, he kept up with me for two sidewalk sections at 12mph, then veered off, I couldn't believe they could run that fast. A helmet cam would have been nice right then, it was funny, he was running his little tail off, then gave up and turned left into the grass. The GPS I use is a Garmin 76c, have had it for 6 years now, ram mount makes it easy to place where I want it. Works great, been payed for a long time, and I know how to use it.
Old 09-20-11, 12:52 PM   #24
alanknm

Bikes: Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
Now that the weather is cooling down I'm always seeing squirrels and chipmunks darting across the streets, the pathways and just about everywhere I go. It's amazing that more of them don't get run over.

I'll have to bring a camera with me one of these days and get some pictures of the salmon running up the creeks and rivers this fall.
alanknm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-11, 01:24 PM   #25
qcpmsame 
Quality Engineering

Bikes: Several, three if you must know.
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Okie,
Welcome to BF and especially the 50+ gang. Good to see another Florida rider even if we aren't close geographically (I am in NW Florida, Escambia County) My wife has a Trek 7300 Multitrack Hybrid and loves it, just get it set up for your size and pedaling stroke.

I like your avatar, I remember "Reddy Kilowatt" as the symbol for Gulf Power, our local electrical supplier, in the 60's and 70's. Neat to see him again. Have a great time with the return to the greatest recreational sport there is, IMHO.

Bill

Last edited by qcpmsame; 09-20-11 at 01:27 PM.
qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote