Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

2 Cyclists Killed; One Dragged, One On MUP

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

2 Cyclists Killed; One Dragged, One On MUP

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-13, 08:08 AM

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
On the 4th of July my wife and I headed to Mackinaw City for festivities. Going through a village we saw multiple EMT squads at work where the bike path crossed a street in this lazy village (Oden, Mi). A 58yr old man rode through the posted stop sign and was hit by a car. DOA.

The next morning I'm watching local news to hear of a young lady in Traverse City was riding through a residential area and hit from behind by a pickup, dragged for a block and left to die in an alley before neighbors heard the commotion. She died at the hospital. Police said the lady was riding on the right with flow and in parking area out of traffic, everything a good rider would do.

Rough holiday. They havent found the driver as of last night.
MUP crossings are a huge hazard. MUP riding makes you feel like you are in your own world. It's easy to think you're safe when, in reality, there is a car screaming towards the crossing which is obscured by the trees.

I cross about a half dozen extremely dangerous rural intersections on my commute home (I take a different route in). All of them are killers--55 MPH limit roads--and none of them give a clear view of cars which may be coming from either direction unless I slow to a crawl. One is on such an extreme angle with a blind curve, no less, that a full stop is really the only safe choice. I used to chance it. But, I've had enough close calls that I now ride extra cautiously.

Two things. One is that close calls are really your best warning system. The memory bank stores the near miss deep inside the brain and no longer do you find yourself taking a risk at that particular location or any that are similar to it. The trick is surviving the close call. Two is adding a simple warning system on the trail, a flashing light letting you know a car is coming.
Old 07-10-13, 11:15 AM

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
No update on the lady biker case. They are having fundraisers for reward money leading to the arrest.

The bike path death was likely due to the path being ridden without the man knowing it wasnt open yet. There are no stop signs to warn bikers of road crossings and likely he didnt have a clue to watch for cars.
WHAT!?!? No stopsigns at road crossings there? The MUPs in Madison County IL have those little bicycle-sized stopsigns at every intersection with a road. I got to see more of them than I wished, when I got myself all turned around in Edwardsville, and ended up heading toward Hamel by accident... Those little plastic stopsigns can't be that expensive to install.
Old 07-10-13, 12:03 PM

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by David Bierbaum
WHAT!?!? No stopsigns at road crossings there? The MUPs in Madison County IL have those little bicycle-sized stopsigns at every intersection with a road. I got to see more of them than I wished, when I got myself all turned around in Edwardsville, and ended up heading toward Hamel by accident... Those little plastic stopsigns can't be that expensive to install.
He said the MUP wasn't open yet.
Old 07-10-13, 12:19 PM

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
Ah, you mean "not officially open for business" rather than "closed from dusk to dawn, and on holidays" When you said often frequently, I misheard you say orphan a person who has lost his parents! [/pirates of penzance]
Old 07-10-13, 02:03 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by David Bierbaum
Correct. The path was to be opened for travel soon. In the meantime there appears to be very little in the way of barricades or signage to keep off. There were no stop or warning signs yet installed. There is negligence in that sense even though the biker should not have ridden. What I dont understand is why common sense didnt alert the rider that he was approaching a road crossing. Clearly not a local biker.
Old 07-10-13, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Those signs are kind of silly aren't they? I don't need a sign to recognize an intersection with a road.
Old 07-10-13, 03:53 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
Those signs are kind of silly aren't they? I don't need a sign to recognize an intersection with a road.
Seriously. I just dont get what this guy was thinking/or not.