Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

"A Tale Of Two Bibs"

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

"A Tale Of Two Bibs"

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-14, 06:10 PM

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
"A Tale Of Two Bibs"

So...I bought an ISM Adamo saddle off a friend (who didn't care for it) for $20 and sure enough?...I didn't care for it either....but saddles being what they are?...often times one riders poison is another riders perfection and when I mentioned I wish I had my $20 back?...a fellow member here PM'ed me inquiring if I'd be willing to actually sell it to him for that....and I told him...

"No...you'd hafta include an extra $10 for me to ship it too you but yes...$30 and it's all yours!"

and the deal went down...but meanwhile back in the LBS?...I bought what was my first pair of Bibs ever....Specialized BG Comp Bibs...their low if not lowest line with me not wanting to blow too much cash on'em just in case I didn't like bibs but?...constantly re-adjusting my even cheaper riding shorts was getting old quick...and of course I never tried them on...after all?...they looked about right and made of expandable lycra so of course they'll fit...right?....well?...maybe a little right...yet felt oh so wrong when I got home and actually put them on...which is when I noticed that my eye was dead on as far as the shorts themselves were concerned and fit great?...the shoulder straps were a struggle...and then felt a bit tight on my shoulders...but they're not...I can slip my thumbs in between and lift them a good 6"s above my shoulders with near zero effort...which is when it occurred to me that they actually are a suitable fit but?...I'm just not used to anything on my shoulders hence not used to "The Feel" of wearing such a garment.....and as I voiced this here?...the same member who purchased the ISM Adamo saddle from me?....PM'ed me again....telling me he has a pair of Castelli Bibs he bought new several years ago but only wore them a few times...citing that the shoulder straps on his Castelli Bibs felt a bit long for him and if I wanted them?...just pay the shipping and he'll send/give them to me...I responded with an "I'll do better than that" and told him to just send me the bibs and I'll destroy his check when it gets here and consider us as square...he agreed....and this is a shameless copy/paste of what I just PM'ed him when he asked how they fit....

"They fit like they were custom tailored for me...strange...I put them on and at first thought..."ut-oh..this isn't going to be good"....as the shorts part of them fit just a snug as my specialized bibs but then when I went to slip my arms and shoulders through the straps?...I smiled...way easier going on with far less (hey! I'm here!) tension over my shoulders...I just wore them around the house for about a 1/2 hour then peeled the Castelli bibs off and slipped into the Specialized bibs trying to figure out...

"why such a big difference in "feel" between the two?"

and "the reason why" was readily apparent...it was..."The Cut"....where the shoulder straps on the Specialized bibs are joined in the center of the back right at the base of the neckline?....the shoulder straps on the Castelli bibs enjoyed a deep plunging back line to a generously separated base attachment into the shorts themselves...which resulted in a far more relaxed fit/feel."

Now as far as I'm concerned?...I now have two pairs of bibs that fit and will function just fine for me where I'm at...but one fits and feels much better...the Castelli's...and from what I can tell?...it's all about...."The Cut"...

I might also mention that not only does the chamois in the castellis have this red velvety feel?...(as opposed to the specialized that feels like real smooth tight cell foam)...just picking them up?....the castelli's feel noticeably lighter....not that "that" means a hill of beans to my short slow riding skills thus far but?...noteworthy for others I suppose...

Bruce....Thanks Man!...I love these one hand washes the other kind of deals!....I got a pair of great fitting bibs for $20 and you got an ISM Adamo saddle for $30....a saddle I hope and pray fits and feels as good too you as these bibs do for me...Thanks again man! Have a great weekend and Ride Safe! Bill.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bibs1.jpg (76.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg
bibs2.jpg (96.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 12-05-14, 06:54 PM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Just glad they work for you. Living in the frozen North I won't know about that saddle until next Spring but I'm looking forward to trying it out. Thanks. It was a nice experience.
Old 12-05-14, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
Castelli knows their ****! Coupla months ago I went to Universal Cycles' retail shop to try on some bibs. They had a good closeout deal on Castelli Ergo Dues, so I tried 'em on - they fit like spray paint! Went back to the register and asked how many more they had left: only two, but I bought 'em both. I've been wearing bibs since they first came out (decades ago) and these are BY FAR the best. I won't wear any other brand now!

Scott P
OC, OR

ps - anybody want a deal on 3 pair of Pearl Izumi Quest shorts in XL?

Last edited by Mark Stone; 12-06-14 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Don't defeat the censor
Old 12-06-14, 07:00 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by rando_couche
Castelli knows their ****! Coupla months ago I went to Universal Cycles' retail shop to try on some bibs. They had a good closeout deal on Castelli Ergo Dues, so I tried 'em on - they fit like spray paint! Went back to the register and asked how many more they had left: only two, but I bought 'em both. I've been wearing bibs since they first came out (decades ago) and these are BY FAR the best. I won't wear any other brand now!

Scott P
OC, OR

ps - anybody want a deal on 3 pair of Pearl Izumi Quest shorts in XL?

It's nice when you find "the one" isn't it? Exactly how I feel about Assos Uno bibs.

Last edited by Mark Stone; 12-06-14 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-06-14, 07:25 AM

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Thanks RD and Bruce!

And you know what's occurred to me through this short sampling of bibs?...once the fit specs of shorts get the fitment aspect of "torso length" added into the mix?...the "one size fits all" Deal goes out the window and now two body fit dimensions need to be taken into consideration along with..."The feeling of... THE CUT OF THE GARMENT"...which can and apparently does span the same across the board range of fitment falling solidly into the same category as saddles or even your favorite brand/cut of jeans...where far more needs to be taken into consideration as it's no longer a case of..."one size fits all stretchy shorts".

Which makes my mind beg the question....

I wonder how many "try" just a pair or two before writing them off only to become life long bib haters?...because if nothing else?...just how much comfort and fit difference there is between these two brands/cuts of these same size bibs?...has been a very enlightening experience for me.
Old 12-06-14, 08:18 AM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
One of the rules of this forum is "pics or it didn't happen". We have to see a photo of you modelling the bibs to demonstrate the comfortable fit.
Old 12-06-14, 08:49 AM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Be cautious of what you ask..................................
Old 12-06-14, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
One of the rules of this forum is "pics or it didn't happen". We have to see a photo of you modelling the bibs to demonstrate the comfortable fit.
Oh I'm willing but...

A. You have no clue what you're asking for. (unless you're kind of freaky that way. LOL) and?...

B. I enjoy this forum far too much to risk getting banned and finally? ...

C. I can't afford a class action law suit at this point of my life. LOL!

I'd take Wanderers advice on this one.
Old 12-08-14, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd love to be able to wear bibs, but them seem like they'd be a pita if I had to get out of them fast, ifyouknowwhatImean... Hey, I'm gettin' old - and enough said about that.
Old 12-08-14, 05:21 PM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
If they are too small they can also be a pita - literally!

Last edited by Gerryattrick; 12-10-14 at 05:29 AM.