Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Titanium Swift frame, anyone interested?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Titanium Swift frame, anyone interested?

Old 03-03-19, 09:31 PM
  #451  
jur
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Albany, WA
Posts: 7,392
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Pine Cone
You are not missing anything.

Yup, I have a clamp above the problem solver and below the stempost. If you look at pix in post #266 you can see headtube, headset (silver), problem solver (black), clamp (blue), stempost.

Maybe Jur put the loose clamp below the problem solver,then clamped the stempost above the problem solver, adjusted the headset, clamped the clamp below the problem solver, loosened the stempost, removed the problem solver, replaced the stempost above the clamp.

That' exactly what I did.

I also introduced a suitably sized silicone O-ring under the bottom clamp. to absorb riding shocks. I found that no matter how hard I torqued the clamps down (without stripping them of course), over time the headset would relax a small amount. It's basically a lever problem and the leverage is huge, no stopping that. So I put the rubber ring and that solved the problem. It wasn't my own idea; I think I saw that in a King headset.
jur is offline  
Old 05-23-19, 08:06 PM
  #452  
55+ Club,...
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Somewhere in New York, NY
Posts: 4,171

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 537 Posts
Originally Posted by Pine Cone
You are not missing anything.

Yup, I have a clamp above the problem solver and below the stempost. If you look at pix in post #266 you can see headtube, headset (silver), problem solver (black), clamp (blue), stempost.

Maybe Jur put the loose clamp below the problem solver,then clamped the stempost above the problem solver, adjusted the headset, clamped the clamp below the problem solver, loosened the stempost, removed the problem solver, replaced the stempost above the clamp.
Originally Posted by jur
That' exactly what I did.

I also introduced a suitably sized silicone O-ring under the bottom clamp. to absorb riding shocks. I found that no matter how hard I torqued the clamps down (without stripping them of course), over time the headset would relax a small amount. It's basically a lever problem and the leverage is huge, no stopping that. So I put the rubber ring and that solved the problem. It wasn't my own idea; I think I saw that in a King headset.
I wanna see PICTURES!!!
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...
tds101 is offline  
Old 05-29-19, 07:12 PM
  #453  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all, anyone still reading this in mid-2019?

This is a great thread. So I thought I would jump on the bandwagon and flick Titanproduct an inquiry.
Basically, asking for the same as in the thread; frame, forks, seat post, headset, stem rise and bullhorn bars.

The cost has increased somewhat and is sitting just under USD $2000 (Including $160 shipping to Sydney Australia).
In my mind that has made it unfeasible, as with the crummy exchange rate at the moment it relates to AUD $3000.

And that means you can pick up a full bike, Brompton, Moulton or hopefully a Helix. Helix has been suffering some serious delays but is now actually shipping bikes out.

So I will wait till Helix stipulates a price, but one thing is for certain, the Ti Swift is not a cheap option.
the_pan_handle is offline  
Old 06-05-19, 02:05 AM
  #454  
Full Member
 
joey buzzard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: La Alpujarras Granadina
Posts: 209

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by the_pan_handle
Hi all, anyone still reading this in mid-2019?

This is a great thread. So I thought I would jump on the bandwagon and flick Titanproduct an inquiry.
Basically, asking for the same as in the thread; frame, forks, seat post, headset, stem rise and bullhorn bars.

The cost has increased somewhat and is sitting just under USD $2000 (Including $160 shipping to Sydney Australia).
In my mind that has made it unfeasible, as with the crummy exchange rate at the moment it relates to AUD $3000.

And that means you can pick up a full bike, Brompton, Moulton or hopefully a Helix. Helix has been suffering some serious delays but is now actually shipping bikes out.

So I will wait till Helix stipulates a price, but one thing is for certain, the Ti Swift is not a cheap option.



None of the bikes you list are cheap, especially if your fetish is for titanium. If you want to economise, the aluminum Swift frame is still available for around $450 from Peter Reich at swiftfolders.com, though I've just read elsewhere on forums today that he's down to just 17 frame sets and I strongly suspect you'd have to get your order in immediately if you want one now. I've no experience with the ti Swift, but the aluminum one I have is totally excellent for what I love doing (riding fast over long distances in addition to being my all around bike). It really all depends on what you want. A Brompton is a great bike if you need something to fold very small, but it doesn't compare to a Swift for ride and it's full of proprietary non standard parts. The best of the Moultons are very fast high performance bikes and I suspect these would offer something comparable to a Swift as far as the ride, but these are not cheap at all, especially the very top of the line model which is the one with all the titanium bridge strutting. As for the Helix, I'll believe it when I see it. Production is slow. Although I've only seen photos, to me it doesn't look fast, sort of utility like. Fold is great for a bigger bike though, I'm sure.
joey buzzard is offline  
Old 08-13-19, 01:13 AM
  #455  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Lewes, UK
Posts: 116

Bikes: Brompton, Xootr Swift, Scott Spark, Giant Anthem, Yeti AS-R, Dahon Helios

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by the_pan_handle
Hi all, anyone still reading this in mid-2019?
Yes - I've just revisited after a few years away because I'm thinking about going for the Ti Swift. It's that or carbon race bike (e.g. cannondale supersix) but as so many of my riding opportunities are part of my train commute (where only folding bikes allowed) having a fast folding bike still makes sense even though the price/weight of a Ti Swift can't really compete with a modern carbon racer if you don't need to fold.

I had a revelation recently with my Swift by changing tyres. I've been running Kojaks tubeless for a few years (which I loved) but recently tried Schwalbe Pro One tyres (tubeless) and OMG they are even much faster and smoother and soak up bumps better. Running tubeless means low pressures for no increase in rolling resistance (basically it's a few mm of free suspension) and 60psi is the sweet spot for me. I rode out with a group of (fit) roadie friends and the swift more than kept up. I did a few roll-down tests next to my friends and the swift rolled better than any of the (modern carbon) race bikes - I think mostly down to the me being the only one with tubeless tyres.

I've used 406 wheels for a while and have decided to stick with those due to the tyre choice available. You can't get pro one or kojaks in 451, and there's even less choice in 520 (which I also ran on my swift for a year).

I don't mind the weight so much, but the stock swift is about too short (top tube) for be which necessitates a 140mm stem to get the right stretch, which spoils the handling somewhat. The other driver is that my forks have too much rake - they are airnimal carbon forks designed for 520 wheels and the trail is too short with 406 wheels so he handling is too twitchy. I snapped the stock forks a few years back.

My gears are knackered now so I'm going to switch to 1x and the new SD driver freewheels and 10t cassettes that you can now get (e.g. SRAM 10-42) so I can ditch the front mech and my 61T chainring (good for bragging rights and starting conversations, bad for the chain rubbing on the seatstay). Chain drops have always been a problem for me and 1x setups allow the taller wide/narrow chainring teeth and clutch rear mechs that are much more secure. I had a capreo 9t groupset years ago as my first mod on the swift but that was only 9 speed and doesn't have the range I need for a 1x setup.

I've also been looking at all the other folding bike options out there but I just really like the look of the swift above all the others. I won my first bike race riding my swift and I think I still have an emotional attachment to it. Buying a custom-made Ti bike feels like a 'bike for life' and the swift design has stood the test of time.
rickybails is offline  
Old 08-13-19, 11:56 PM
  #456  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rickybails
Yes - I've just revisited after a few years away because I'm thinking about going for the Ti Swift. It's that or carbon race bike (e.g. cannondale supersix) but as so many of my riding opportunities are part of my train commute (where only folding bikes allowed) having a fast folding bike still makes sense even though the price/weight of a Ti Swift can't really compete with a modern carbon racer if you don't need to fold.

I had a revelation recently with my Swift by changing tyres. I've been running Kojaks tubeless for a few years (which I loved) but recently tried Schwalbe Pro One tyres (tubeless) and OMG they are even much faster and smoother and soak up bumps better. Running tubeless means low pressures for no increase in rolling resistance (basically it's a few mm of free suspension) and 60psi is the sweet spot for me. I rode out with a group of (fit) roadie friends and the swift more than kept up. I did a few roll-down tests next to my friends and the swift rolled better than any of the (modern carbon) race bikes - I think mostly down to the me being the only one with tubeless tyres.

I've used 406 wheels for a while and have decided to stick with those due to the tyre choice available. You can't get pro one or kojaks in 451, and there's even less choice in 520 (which I also ran on my swift for a year).

I don't mind the weight so much, but the stock swift is about too short (top tube) for be which necessitates a 140mm stem to get the right stretch, which spoils the handling somewhat. The other driver is that my forks have too much rake - they are airnimal carbon forks designed for 520 wheels and the trail is too short with 406 wheels so he handling is too twitchy. I snapped the stock forks a few years back.

My gears are knackered now so I'm going to switch to 1x and the new SD driver freewheels and 10t cassettes that you can now get (e.g. SRAM 10-42) so I can ditch the front mech and my 61T chainring (good for bragging rights and starting conversations, bad for the chain rubbing on the seatstay). Chain drops have always been a problem for me and 1x setups allow the taller wide/narrow chainring teeth and clutch rear mechs that are much more secure. I had a capreo 9t groupset years ago as my first mod on the swift but that was only 9 speed and doesn't have the range I need for a 1x setup.

I've also been looking at all the other folding bike options out there but I just really like the look of the swift above all the others. I won my first bike race riding my swift and I think I still have an emotional attachment to it. Buying a custom-made Ti bike feels like a 'bike for life' and the swift design has stood the test of time.
Which wheels did you use to run the tubeless Schwalbe?
2bridges1bike is offline  
Old 09-27-19, 11:17 PM
  #457  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice bike
Acabal is offline  
Old 10-06-19, 05:43 AM
  #458  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ti swift frame

Hi all



I am new here, I own a triton ti frame, but I would like a swift frame, looks great.


I have thoughts about the longlivity of the frame, so wanted to ask if there are abrasion
on the hinge or on the two rear seatpost tubes, where the two tubes meet?

Is there any issues with the frame?
thanks
ezsolt is offline  
Old 10-06-19, 12:38 PM
  #459  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
I paid for the shipping of the replacement frame. This seems like the correct thing to me. For example, if we were in the same city and I drove my car to pick up a replacement frame under the guarantee, I would not expect to be reimbursed for fuel. The shipping of goods falls to the customer, it's their choice. I suppose there may be cases where the vendor also pays for shipping. For example if I returned an item of clothing due to size reasons, I pay the shipping back to the vendor but they would ship me a replacement free of charge.
Hi

I really like this frame
I have thoughts about the longlivity of the frame, so wanted to ask if there are abrasion
on the hinge or on the two rear seatpost tubes, where the two tubes meet?

Is there any issues with the frame?
Did they fix the issues you mentioned?

Hope not because I love this look


thanks a lot
ezsolt is offline  
Old 10-06-19, 06:42 PM
  #460  
jur
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Albany, WA
Posts: 7,392
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ezsolt
Hi

I really like this frame
I have thoughts about the longlivity of the frame, so wanted to ask if there are abrasion
on the hinge or on the two rear seatpost tubes, where the two tubes meet?

Is there any issues with the frame?
Did they fix the issues you mentioned?

Hope not because I love this look


thanks a lot
I haven't had any issues at all. The 2nd batch were great. After 4+ years I haven't changed much, just removed the front disc brakes. The rest is identical. No problems with hinge and seat tube interfaces.

It isn't clear the company is still trading. They had problems with authorities and were forced to shut down and move.
jur is offline  
Old 02-14-21, 04:56 PM
  #461  
Full Member
 
joey buzzard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: La Alpujarras Granadina
Posts: 209

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 96 Posts
Okay, this is one of my all time favourite threads on bike forums, and nobody has posted in it for over a year.

Since Xootr got out of the biz there is no standard Swift in production, which is a terrible pity in my opinion. Nevertheless, Titan the Chinese company still has their webpage up featuring the frame which to some extent came into being on this conversation thread.

I wonder if anyone out there has recently ordered a frame from Titan and what their experience was?

Also, some readers who bought frames from Titan several years ago have now had those years to assess how well the bikes hold up and how good they actually are. Any comments from owners about how satisfied they are with the product after years of ownership?

Finally, I'm considering searching out a frame builder (preferably in Canada or the Pacific Northwest) who'd be willing to consider a titanium or stainless Swift build. Does anyone know of anybody? Has anyone besides Titan Products in China ever made such a thing as a titanium bike based on the Swift folder design?

All comments appreciated. Thanks.
joey buzzard is offline  
Old 02-14-21, 06:47 PM
  #462  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by joey buzzard
Okay, this is one of my all time favourite threads on bike forums, and nobody has posted in it for over a year.

Since Xootr got out of the biz there is no standard Swift in production, which is a terrible pity in my opinion. Nevertheless, Titan the Chinese company still has their webpage up featuring the frame which to some extent came into being on this conversation thread.

I wonder if anyone out there has recently ordered a frame from Titan and what their experience was?

Also, some readers who bought frames from Titan several years ago have now had those years to assess how well the bikes hold up and how good they actually are. Any comments from owners about how satisfied they are with the product after years of ownership?

Finally, I'm considering searching out a frame builder (preferably in Canada or the Pacific Northwest) who'd be willing to consider a titanium or stainless Swift build. Does anyone know of anybody? Has anyone besides Titan Products in China ever made such a thing as a titanium bike based on the Swift folder design?

All comments appreciated. Thanks.
I would email Peter Reich, the guy who invented the swift. I didnít order ti swift but iirc he helped facilitate the order. He is located in brooklyn but for this type of bike location shouldnít matter too much. No need for custom geo and the frame is packable.

I purchased the third to last frame he had and had it build up with a swift Alfine hub. Itís not ti but still really nice. I would consider parting with it for the right price, if your interested.
2bridges1bike is offline  
Old 02-14-21, 11:29 PM
  #463  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Western Washington
Posts: 365

Bikes: 2-many...2 road bikes, 2 fixed wheels, 3 tandems, 2 recumbents, 2 cyclecross, 3 mtb, 4 folders

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by joey buzzard
Okay, this is one of my all time favourite threads on bike forums, and nobody has posted in it for over a year.

Since Xootr got out of the biz there is no standard Swift in production, which is a terrible pity in my opinion. Nevertheless, Titan the Chinese company still has their webpage up featuring the frame which to some extent came into being on this conversation thread.

...

Also, some readers who bought frames from Titan several years ago have now had those years to assess how well the bikes hold up and how good they actually are. Any comments from owners about how satisfied they are with the product after years of ownership?

...

All comments appreciated. Thanks.
Mine has been a great bike. Currently more than a foot of snow on the ground so it has not been ridden in a while. I would buy it again. No significant build changes in years.

Good luck in getting something similar, it is worth the effort.
Pine Cone is offline  
Old 02-15-21, 03:29 PM
  #464  
Full Member
 
joey buzzard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: La Alpujarras Granadina
Posts: 209

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by 2bridges1bike
I would email Peter Reich, the guy who invented the swift. I didnít order ti swift but iirc he helped facilitate the order. He is located in brooklyn but for this type of bike location shouldnít matter too much. No need for custom geo and the frame is packable.

I purchased the third to last frame he had and had it build up with a swift Alfine hub. Itís not ti but still really nice. I would consider parting with it for the right price, if your interested.
Thanks for your reply.

I'm very familiar with the standard Alu Swift. Like you I also bought a frame from Peter a couple years back. In fact I now have four aluminium Swift frames (well, three and a half actually - one of them is broken). One from Peter, another on a bike I bought second hand which is with a friend, another I broke (my original Xootr), and my current ride which is built on a frame Xootr shipped to me last year as a warranty replacement for the broken one.

I feel like a bit of a jerk hoarding all these lovely frames, but I do ride my bikes hard. I basically live in my saddle and I like racing and climbing mountains. And the Swift is great at all this and more. I've decided that even as the whole world goes to hell I always want for the rest of my riding days to have a Swift. It's the perfect bike for me. However, with the number of kilometers I ride and the terrain and the gradients I feel that all my Alu Swift's have finite life.

Hence why I'm seeking out titanium as it's more durable.

I've considered ordering a frame from Titan. I emailed them once a couple years ago, but I've decided that I don't want to pay thousands of dollars to a company in China, which I regard as a totalitarian state and where the lines between private and state enterprise are often blurry. The PLA own a lot of businesses and welding titanium together is useful for building things other than bicycles. Whatever misqivings I might have about the United States, I'm pretty sure any frame builder who I engage there isn't also building components for missiles or submarines.

Here's a picture of my current ride.


Someday I'll have to build one frame with an internal gear hub. I like my derailleur, but imagine some advantages to internal gears.
joey buzzard is offline  
Likes For joey buzzard:
Old 02-15-21, 03:37 PM
  #465  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by joey buzzard
Thanks for your reply.

I'm very familiar with the standard Alu Swift. Like you I also bought a frame from Peter a couple years back. In fact I now have four aluminium Swift frames (well, three and a half actually - one of them is broken). One from Peter, another on a bike I bought second hand which is with a friend, another I broke (my original Xootr), and my current ride which is built on a frame Xootr shipped to me last year as a warranty replacement for the broken one.

I feel like a bit of a jerk hoarding all these lovely frames, but I do ride my bikes hard. I basically live in my saddle and I like racing and climbing mountains. And the Swift is great at all this and more. I've decided that even as the whole world goes to hell I always want for the rest of my riding days to have a Swift. It's the perfect bike for me. However, with the number of kilometers I ride and the terrain and the gradients I feel that all my Alu Swift's have finite life.

Hence why I'm seeking out titanium as it's more durable.

I've considered ordering a frame from Titan. I emailed them once a couple years ago, but I've decided that I don't want to pay thousands of dollars to a company in China, which I regard as a totalitarian state and where the lines between private and state enterprise are often blurry. The PLA own a lot of businesses and welding titanium together is useful for building things other than bicycles. Whatever misqivings I might have about the United States, I'm pretty sure any frame builder who I engage there isn't also building components for missiles or submarines.

Here's a picture of my current ride.


Someday I'll have to build one frame with an internal gear hub. I like my derailleur, but imagine some advantages to internal gears.

Thats a nice bike!. My bike was built to be a commuter and travel bike, so the igh was perfect. No risk of accidental getting chain grease on my clothes when itís folded in the train, also being able to shift while stationary at red lights is great

I also have a xootr with a derailer, it feels a tad faster and I would prefer that set up if I didnít need to carry it often.

Lately Iíve been working from home and using mostly my road bike for rec rides, so my poor swift has not been getting many miles.
2bridges1bike is offline  
Old 02-15-21, 03:47 PM
  #466  
Full Member
 
joey buzzard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: La Alpujarras Granadina
Posts: 209

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Pine Cone
Mine has been a great bike. Currently more than a foot of snow on the ground so it has not been ridden in a while. I would buy it again. No significant build changes in years.

Good luck in getting something similar, it is worth the effort.
Thanks!
​​​​​Hope the snow melts soon wherever you are so you can enjoy some fun rides.

I've noticed some of Titan's customers requested disc brakes which they built and presumably shipped. No chance yours is one of these? I'm a bit torn up about whether that's what I want, but all my bikes have been derailleur set ups so far (so no need really for horizontal dropouts) and one thing that I regularly wear out are rims. I'd love to have a wheelset last longer than a little over a year (or sometimes even a much shorter time.) On the other hand I love the elegant simplicity and versatile functionality of the aluminium standard issue, and the rim brakes and horizontal dropouts do seem in keeping with this, so it's a dilemma.

Anyway if you have any pics of your skate that you're willing to share here, I'd love to see it.

Cheers!
joey buzzard is offline  
Old 02-15-21, 05:19 PM
  #467  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Western Washington
Posts: 365

Bikes: 2-many...2 road bikes, 2 fixed wheels, 3 tandems, 2 recumbents, 2 cyclecross, 3 mtb, 4 folders

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Mine has Avid BB-7 disc brakes. For pictures look for posts #274, 283 & 293 earlier in this thread.
Pine Cone is offline  
Likes For Pine Cone:
Old 03-01-21, 11:09 PM
  #468  
my nice bike is at home
 
kraftwerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY USA
Posts: 951

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
Joey, I am among those that bought the frame from Titan several years ago, in the second "batch" ordered. I have to say it forced me to re-asses the quality I had previously associated with Chinese-built things. It is a beautiful thing to behold, very well done, not quite up up to , say, 90's Merlin standards but it is a really nice frame they build. Great to pack up and take somewhere... anywhere!

Wonder if their quality is still as good? Anyone? I just read the above that Jur has discovered:
"It isn't clear the company is still trading. They had problems with authorities and were forced to shut down and move." wow, That could be bad.

One other great thing they were able to provide was customization. Of the 2nd batch ..15 frames (?) produced,
I doubt any of them were exactly the same ! How amazing is that? I, of course messed up a tiny bit and requested something not well thought -out but it was easily reversible ..with a metal file...and not even worth mentioning, really, except to say they did exactly what I requested of them.
So that was all on me.
I fantasize ordering more custom Ti things from them, like, how cool would it be to have Ti fork made for a Raleigh Folding 20 ?
I have to be careful though, this kind of dreaming get's expensive...
I will post a picture someday and bring you all up to date on my adventures and modifications with it, it's been awhile.
Thanks again to Jur for organizing the original build, it's really his genius we have to thank for the "Folding Ti." and for working out all the "bugs" from his earlier/ exploratory order. It was really an amazingly smooth and rewarding operation and I love my Ti Swift.
__________________
BMC Race Machine / BMC Team Machine / Rossin Record / 80's Pinarello Traviso / Merlin MTB / Raleigh "Folding 20" / Ti-Swift (!)
Erikson w/C&C couplers / Trek's: 2300, 1200, 990 / Jamis 'Sputnik'


Last edited by kraftwerk; 03-02-21 at 11:11 AM.
kraftwerk is offline  
Old 03-02-21, 03:28 AM
  #469  
Senior Member
 
Geepig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Eastern Poland
Posts: 738

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 148 Posts
Originally Posted by kraftwerk
how cool would it be to have Ti fork made for a Raleigh Folding 20 ?
I have to be careful though, this kind of dreaming get's expensive...
Of course, once you have the Ti fork, why stop there...
Geepig is offline  
Old 09-12-23, 08:51 AM
  #470  
Senior Member
 
Pinigis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Henrico, VA
Posts: 1,452

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 231 Posts
As many of you know, Origami is bringing the Swift back with a chromoly frame and fork, but we have an opportunity to do a production run in titanium since the factory still have the original tooling from 2004.

I don't have pricing yet, but I would predict that they are about 50% higher now (including the 25% Trump tax), but I will work on narrowing that down as I can.

Given the cost, I will only pursue this if there is enough interest, and people are willing to preorder. We can do ether complete bikes (we can start with the same configuration as the chromoly versions or customize), or frame kits. Let me know what you think.
__________________
Paul Pinigis
Owner of Origami Bicycle Company
Pinigis is offline  
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 09-12-23, 09:42 AM
  #471  
Full Member
 
joey buzzard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: La Alpujarras Granadina
Posts: 209

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 96 Posts
Wow! I think that you're officially my hero, Paul.

​​​​​​Have you got a novel design for a titanium Swift or would it be identical to the frames on Jurs bikes? As I remember this thread they couldn't source titaniun oval tubing silmlilar to that used on the other Swifts at the time,
so they made a modified double tootube design. I also recall somebody mentioning this twin toptube
design when we were hocus-focus grouping here on bike forums on the Origami design and you replied that you'd spoke to Peter Reich about it and that he wasn't particularly keen on it.

Anyeays, this sounds very exciting. I'd personally love to see something quite light and sporty if this goes anywhere.
​​​
joey buzzard is offline  
Old 09-12-23, 10:01 AM
  #472  
Full Member
 
joey buzzard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: La Alpujarras Granadina
Posts: 209

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 96 Posts
I contacted Titan in March 2021 and they quoted me these prices for a bespoke titanium Swift with disc brake mounts:

Ti frame & fork $1200
Ti seatpost 31.6 x 600 $95
Ti headset $80
Ti integrated stem $105
Ti bullhorn handlebar $95
Ti stem clamp $25
EMS Shipping cost $200
​​​​​​The shipping was to Spain, and as such Trump taxes didn't appliy.

How many pre-ordered framesets do you reckon you need to make this worth your while? How many bikes would Titan need in order to derive a bulk discount? While It seems like a bargain to get a bespoke titanium frameset for under $1500 we are heading into a turbulent economy where people might be cutting back on luxuries, so the cheaper the better, I guess.

Anyways, very intriguing!
joey buzzard is offline  
Old 09-12-23, 11:46 AM
  #473  
Senior Member
 
Pinigis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Henrico, VA
Posts: 1,452

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 231 Posts
Originally Posted by joey buzzard
I contacted Titan in March 2021 and they quoted me these prices for a bespoke titanium Swift with disc brake mounts:

Ti frame & fork $1200
Ti seatpost 31.6 x 600 $95
Ti headset $80
Ti integrated stem $105
Ti bullhorn handlebar $95
Ti stem clamp $25
EMS Shipping cost $200
​​​​​​The shipping was to Spain, and as such Trump taxes didn't appliy.

How many pre-ordered framesets do you reckon you need to make this worth your while? How many bikes would Titan need in order to derive a bulk discount? While It seems like a bargain to get a bespoke titanium frameset for under $1500 we are heading into a turbulent economy where people might be cutting back on luxuries, so the cheaper the better, I guess.

Anyways, very intriguing!
I am trying for 15 orders to get the price down and to make it worthwhile. If we ship directly from the factory to an destination outside of the US, the Trump tax would be avoided.
__________________
Paul Pinigis
Owner of Origami Bicycle Company
Pinigis is offline  
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 09-22-23, 08:40 AM
  #474  
late night rider
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 54

Bikes: masi vincere/ san jose

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pinigis
I am trying for 15 orders to get the price down and to make it worthwhile. If we ship directly from the factory to a destination outside of the US, the Trump tax would be avoided.
Sign me up as interested.
maddy13 is offline  
Likes For maddy13:
Old 10-31-23, 09:28 AM
  #475  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Never mind!

Last edited by Estuche; 10-31-23 at 09:37 AM.
Estuche is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.