Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Got an Ottolock lock

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Got an Ottolock lock

Old 05-04-17, 06:18 PM
  #1  
mc9000
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
mc9000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 155

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods 29er (2010), Charge Plug (2015)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got an Ottolock lock


My Kickstarter Ottolock finally came in, so I made a quick video. I got the 60" version so that I could loop it through both tires. Though the price was kinda steep ($59), I like the design and weight (~8 oz), and think it'll will work out well for my needs.


Last edited by mc9000; 05-04-17 at 06:45 PM.
mc9000 is offline  
Old 05-04-17, 08:32 PM
  #2  
Gresp15C
Senior Member
 
Gresp15C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 3,456
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 281 Posts
Cool. Hopefully you don't have to find out how secure it is by having someone try to steal your bike, but it would be interesting to know how the strap and mechanism hold up under daily use.
Gresp15C is offline  
Old 05-04-17, 11:21 PM
  #3  
mc9000
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
mc9000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 155

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods 29er (2010), Charge Plug (2015)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C View Post
Cool. Hopefully you don't have to find out how secure it is by having someone try to steal your bike, but it would be interesting to know how the strap and mechanism hold up under daily use.
Yeah, the strap seems pretty sturdy. I'm hoping the combo mechanism lasts. Being long enough to loop through both my tires was a big selling point for me. Also, because it's flat, it's pretty compact when rolled up. (I'm much more likely to bring this along on an errand rather than my u-lock).
mc9000 is offline  
Old 05-05-17, 07:56 AM
  #4  
corrado33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bozeman
Posts: 4,094

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bet a pair of metal shears/heavy duty scissors would go right through that.

Another gimmick for people who don't want to horror of having to carry an extra pound or two for a U-lock.

Their site says it's "more secure than a cable lock" but still only for "short term theft opportunities" so not as secure as a U lock. What's the point then?

I wouldn't trust any of my bikes to it. Plus, being brightly colored, people can identify that specific lock from far away, and if they know they can break it, may just take a trip over to your bike to do so.
corrado33 is offline  
Old 05-05-17, 08:13 AM
  #5  
jefnvk
Senior Member
 
jefnvk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Metro Detroit/AA
Posts: 8,212

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33 View Post
Their site says it's "more secure than a cable lock" but still only for "short term theft opportunities" so not as secure as a U lock. What's the point then?
For those of us who just need something to keep the honest people honest, while the bike is parked on the rack with twenty others at a popular cyclist stopping spot? I've got a U-lock, it doesn't get used beyond leaving my bike parked for hours at a time on the street, which simply isn't that often.

Although I do agree, that particular one looks very flimsy.
jefnvk is offline  
Old 05-05-17, 08:54 AM
  #6  
rm -rf
don't try this at home.
 
rm -rf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: N. KY
Posts: 5,206
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 49 Posts
Gee, their video, OTTOLOCK is Extremely Hard to Cut is really misleading.

1. small 4 inch? diagonal cutters. Try longer handled ones, and snip a little at a time, like thieves do when cutting a cable lock.

2. Tin snips. These aren't even aviation snips which have way more leverage and better handles, and they don't try to cut near the pivot part of the blades! (did they loosen the pivot bolt? the lock strap seems to slide in between the blades.)

3. bolt cutters. Again, not cutting near the pivot point. They don't show the person leaning into the handles, how hard did they try?

And there's no attempts to break the (aluminum?) combo lock.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It does look good as a secondary lock for the wheels. My Kryptonite 4-foot cable lock is 12 ounces and includes a velcro strap to store it coiled into an oval shape. I use it along with a U-lock. This Ottolock would be lighter, smaller, and be locked separately.

The smallest version would be stronger than the $7 combination coil lock I use when running into a store, just to avoid someone riding off on my bike.

Last edited by rm -rf; 05-05-17 at 09:14 AM.
rm -rf is offline  
Old 05-05-17, 08:57 AM
  #7  
FrontRanger
Senior Member
 
FrontRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My review sample arrived this week. It wasn't on my radar initially but it looks better than I expected. Like the OP said, it's a good choice for keeping honest people honest.
FrontRanger is offline  
Old 05-05-17, 09:21 AM
  #8  
corrado33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bozeman
Posts: 4,094

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk View Post
For those of us who just need something to keep the honest people honest, while the bike is parked on the rack with twenty others at a popular cyclist stopping spot? I've got a U-lock, it doesn't get used beyond leaving my bike parked for hours at a time on the street, which simply isn't that often.

Although I do agree, that particular one looks very flimsy.
Originally Posted by FrontRanger View Post
My review sample arrived this week. It wasn't on my radar initially but it looks better than I expected. Like the OP said, it's a good choice for keeping honest people honest.
So is the tried and true (and likely cheaper) cable lock.
corrado33 is offline  
Old 05-05-17, 09:25 AM
  #9  
corrado33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bozeman
Posts: 4,094

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf View Post
Gee, their video, OTTOLOCK is Extremely Hard to Cut is really misleading.

1. small 4 inch? diagonal cutters. Try longer handled ones, and snip a little at a time, like thieves do when cutting a cable lock.

2. Tin snips. These aren't even aviation snips which have way more leverage and better handles, and they don't try to cut near the pivot part of the blades! (did they loosen the pivot bolt? the lock strap seems to slide in between the blades.)

3. bolt cutters. Again, not cutting near the pivot point. They don't show the person leaning into the handles, how hard did they try?

And there's no attempts to break the (aluminum?) combo lock.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It does look good as a secondary lock for the wheels. My Kryptonite 4-foot cable lock is 12 ounces and includes a velcro strap to store it coiled into an oval shape. I use it along with a U-lock. This Ottolock would be lighter, smaller, and be locked separately.

The smallest version would be stronger than the $7 combination coil lock I use when running into a store, just to avoid someone riding off on my bike.

That video is hilarious. I don't know if anyone could "half ass" it more than that guy did. Watching the video, I'm almost 100% sure I could cut it with a pair of heavy duty scissors. Even dikes if used correctly.

And bolt cutters often DON'T have blades that come all of the way together (the bolt often snaps before that) so how the heck was that expected to work? At least try it in the other orientation or folded.

With that said, I noticed the 'samples' he was using were very well cut with nice edges. I wonder how they cut those.

I bet it was a pair of metal shears/aviation snips.

Also, if this thing is made with pieces of flat metal on the inside, I wonder if taking advantage of metal fatigue would make it easier to break (aka fold it back and forth a few times.)
corrado33 is offline  
Old 05-05-17, 09:39 AM
  #10  
Maelochs
Senior Member
 
Maelochs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 12,672

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6066 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 532 Posts
That video is insulting to intelligent riders ... hilarious for thieves, I bet.

Thing is ... it Might be better than a similar cable. If they wanted to impress serious buyers, they should have shown how long it took to get through with the dikes they used---which were a reasonable pair of pocketable dikes which a thief might have, or a semi-honest person might have in the toolbox in his car or truck. if it took longer than a cable lock ... I might stop to think. As it is ... I will wait until a serious test video is released.

As was also noted ... how about a hammer and chisel to the lock body?
Maelochs is offline  
Old 05-05-17, 10:04 AM
  #11  
corrado33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bozeman
Posts: 4,094

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
That video is insulting to intelligent riders ... hilarious for thieves, I bet.

Thing is ... it Might be better than a similar cable. If they wanted to impress serious buyers, they should have shown how long it took to get through with the dikes they used---which were a reasonable pair of pocketable dikes which a thief might have, or a semi-honest person might have in the toolbox in his car or truck. if it took longer than a cable lock ... I might stop to think. As it is ... I will wait until a serious test video is released.

As was also noted ... how about a hammer and chisel to the lock body?
Not to mention the laughable 3 digit combo on it...

It MAY be better than a small cable lock, but is it better than 4 small cable locks? Cause that's how many you could buy with the same amount of money. I suppose you're also paying for ease of use but still...

For that price I'd get some cut resistant rope and just TIE it around the bike with a fancy, hard to untie knot. Some ropes are next to impossible to cut with scissors (or dikes, or shears) and must be cut using other methods. (Sharp knife on wooden block for example.)
corrado33 is offline  
Old 05-05-17, 10:15 AM
  #12  
Maelochs
Senior Member
 
Maelochs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 12,672

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6066 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 532 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33 View Post
For that price I'd get some cut resistant rope and just TIE it around the bike with a fancy, hard to untie knot. Some ropes are next to impossible to cut with scissors (or dikes, or shears) and must be cut using other methods.
I sense a Kickstartr campaign coming on .....
Maelochs is offline  
Old 05-05-17, 10:33 AM
  #13  
corrado33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bozeman
Posts: 4,094

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I sense a Kickstartr campaign coming on .....
Do you think if I made a fancy video I could get a bunch of idiots to buy some rope I pick up from my local hardware store? Citing that the rope is the best lock because it can't be cut with normal bike thief tools? (Honestly though, some rope is seriously hard to cut, even when using good tools.) Some ropes are imbedded with steel strands that stop cuts made with knives, but the rope part itself (fibrous part) can't be cut by "clamping" tools (like dikes or scissors.) The best (and sometimes only) way to cut them is to put them on a wooden block and chop at them with an axe or cut with a hot knife. Of course, hydraulic shears would work fine as well.

I think I could probably raise a few tens of thousands dollars? Do you want in? We could make so much money.

Last edited by corrado33; 05-05-17 at 10:50 AM.
corrado33 is offline  
Old 05-05-17, 10:45 AM
  #14  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 28,819
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12527 Post(s)
Liked 4,652 Times in 2,398 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33 View Post
Plus, being brightly colored, people can identify that specific lock from far away, and if they know they can break it, may just take a trip over to your bike to do so.
That's basically what I was thinking. Because it looks like it can be easily defeated, a potential thief may be attracted to it and choose to give it a go. A U lock, on the other hand, gives a PITA impression.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 05-05-17, 10:59 AM
  #15  
ecnewell 
Senior Member
 
ecnewell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 496

Bikes: 2007 Raleigh Rx 1.0, 1990 Cannondale ST400, 1981 Fredy Rüegg, 1984 Miyata One-Thousand

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For a quick trip on a bike one isn't terribly attached to, it looks ok.

Was it just me, or did it look like the would-be thief in the demo video actually did get partially through the strap with the wire cutters and the snips? Maybe that was just the casing edge.
ecnewell is offline  
Old 05-05-17, 11:22 AM
  #16  
Maelochs
Senior Member
 
Maelochs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 12,672

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6066 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 532 Posts
Originally Posted by ecnewell View Post
Was it just me, or did it look like the would-be thief in the demo video actually did get partially through the strap with the wire cutters and the snips? Maybe that was just the casing edge.
Looked to me that he hit metal with the tin snips ... and they were the wrong tool for the job.
Maelochs is offline  
Old 05-05-17, 01:03 PM
  #17  
hueyhoolihan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Above ground, Walnut Creek, Ca
Posts: 6,681

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
except for the reasonable price (), the upside is that, looking at the mounting arrangement, there's a better than even chance the lock will fall off the bike and be (fingers crossed) lost on the first ride. ...win, win.

kudos to the OP for giving it a try though.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 05-05-17 at 01:17 PM.
hueyhoolihan is offline  
Old 05-05-17, 02:47 PM
  #18  
gsa103
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,377

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33 View Post
So is the tried and true (and likely cheaper) cable lock.
Yes, but it's lighter and at least as secure as a cable lock. The little snips they tried are well known to slowly eat most cable locks. For me a cable lock is in a middle ground of useless, too heavy for the protection it affords.

Personally, I'll probably buy a Z-lok when they come out. Basically, I want something that I can use while I run in to a coffee shop and not have someone toss a bike in a truck.

I've got an 8lb Kryptonite chain if I actually want security.
gsa103 is offline  
Old 05-05-17, 05:32 PM
  #19  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 19,468

Bikes: Giant Propel, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7976 Post(s)
Liked 1,420 Times in 729 Posts
Not everybody lives in an area that requires a heavy lock. In 35 years of riding, I've probably locked up my bike 10-12 times total. There is a decent looking mtb near one of my ride starts that hasn't moved in a couple weeks and there are no houses nearby so it is amazing it hasn't been stolen yet but the people in my little farm town aren't really known to be desperadoes.

I joined the kickstarter and this lock may actually be overkill.
__________________
Dennis T

Where there is a will, there's a way. Where there is no will, there's an excuse.





Trsnrtr is offline  
Old 05-05-17, 05:40 PM
  #20  
ecnewell 
Senior Member
 
ecnewell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 496

Bikes: 2007 Raleigh Rx 1.0, 1990 Cannondale ST400, 1981 Fredy Rüegg, 1984 Miyata One-Thousand

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Consider me jealous.
I live in a decent sized college town and lock my shed with a U-lock. Diff'rent strokes, as they say.

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr View Post
Not everybody lives in an area that requires a heavy lock. In 35 years of riding, I've probably locked up my bike 10-12 times total. There is a decent looking mtb near one of my ride starts that hasn't moved in a couple weeks and there are no houses nearby so it is amazing it hasn't been stolen yet but the people in my little farm town aren't really known to be desperadoes.

I joined the kickstarter and this lock may actually be overkill.
ecnewell is offline  
Old 05-08-17, 01:02 AM
  #21  
ColonelSanders
Senior Member
 
ColonelSanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,943

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33 View Post
Even dikes if used correctly.
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
they should have shown how long it took to get through with the dikes they used---which were a reasonable pair of pocketable dikes which a thief might have
Originally Posted by corrado33 View Post
Some ropes are next to impossible to cut with scissors (or dikes, or shears)
Originally Posted by corrado33 View Post
but the rope part itself (fibrous part) can't be cut by "clamping" tools (like dikes or scissors.)
What is these "dikes" you guys speak of?
ColonelSanders is offline  
Old 05-08-17, 06:50 AM
  #22  
wschruba
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,526
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders View Post
What is these "dikes" you guys speak of?
Slang for "diagonal cutters".
wschruba is offline  
Old 05-08-17, 07:56 AM
  #23  
Crawdaddy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like it as a lock to go thru wheels as a supplement to a Ulock. I got from videos only to use in low crime areas. Is a little high priced for what it seems to be. But light weight would be nice for places I can kind of keep an eye on my bike and run in and grab fast food or drinks.
Crawdaddy is offline  
Old 05-10-17, 11:09 AM
  #24  
chaadster
Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 9,918

Bikes: '15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, '76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, '17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, '12 Breezer Venturi, '09 Dahon Mariner, '05 Novara Big Buzz, '12 Mercier Nano, '95 DeKerf Team SL, '19 Tern Rally, ‘21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, ‘19 T Lab X3

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
I like it as a lock to go thru wheels as a supplement to a Ulock.
I would think that, generally, using this lock to cinch the bike up close to the lock point, e.g. around the seatpost/lock point, minimizing access for manipulating and cutting, would be the most effective use. Looping it long through the wheels provides fantastic access for cutters at all angles, and affords lots of room to "work" the lock strap as well, so less than ideal (from a cut attack perspective). If the main attack is against the locking mech, then maybe loose through the wheels but away from a hard surface (assuming a strike attack) would be better.

In any case, it's clearly indicated for low-risk scenarios, so it probably won't matter much either way.
chaadster is offline  
Old 05-28-17, 12:52 PM
  #25  
johnny99
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern California
Posts: 10,879
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Here's a review of Ottolock from Outside magazine, including trying to cut the lock with bolt cutters and a comparison to a similar weight cable lock. Outside is not exactly the most reputable gear reviewer, but at least (hopefully) independent of the manufacturer: https://www.outsideonline.com/218553...sions-ottolock
johnny99 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.