Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Training Tire Recommendations

Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Training Tire Recommendations

Old 07-01-15, 09:20 AM
  #1  
nick779
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 187

Bikes: 15' Specialized Allez Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Training Tire Recommendations

I currently have a '15 Specialized Allez Sport and will be purchasing a lighter wheelset shortly, I figured that im doing that I should look for some nice lighter training tires as well.

I ride on mainly paved roads, most are well kept, but some are kinda beat up. Im looking for something light, Flat resistant (obviously), 25c and relatively inexpensive <$40. Currently Im still using the Espoir Sports that came with my bike, theyre 25c, and 370g each.

I know we have alot of Gatorskin fans but ive heard that theyve had some sidewall issues and Id like to steer clear of them.

Im currently pretty set on Vittoria Rubino Pro Techs $24/260g or regular Pros for $20/235g from Ribble, but im open to other opinions.

Last edited by nick779; 07-01-15 at 09:35 AM.
nick779 is offline  
Old 07-02-15, 05:41 AM
  #2  
nick779
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 187

Bikes: 15' Specialized Allez Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I figured that this would have been beaten to death, but im not doing too well with searching or paging through the forums either.
nick779 is offline  
Old 07-02-15, 06:06 AM
  #3  
modman
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Splurge and get the Continental Grand Prix 4000s clinchers. They're $45 at Wiggle and they're the best training tire I've (and most of my group has) ever used.
modman is offline  
Old 07-02-15, 07:10 AM
  #4  
Jeremy_S
Senior Member
 
Jeremy_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Fort Worth Tx
Posts: 292

Bikes: 15 Fuji Altamira 2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I run the hell out of Hutchinson fusion 3's. 25c is only 210 grams, Texas roads range from immaculate to chip seal to nuclear wasteland and I've not had an issue with them. They can be had for 35-40 bucks each.
Jeremy_S is offline  
Old 07-02-15, 07:19 AM
  #5  
cale
Senior Member
 
cale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 3,250

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vredestein Gran Fondo TriComp. Sold domestically by biketiresdirect and parent westernbikeworks. Currently $46 ea at biketiresdirect, they frequently go on sale for about half that. I'm heavy and ride city streets, nuff said.

Last edited by cale; 07-02-15 at 07:27 AM.
cale is offline  
Old 07-02-15, 07:44 AM
  #6  
D1andonlyDman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Northern San Diego
Posts: 1,857

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nick779 View Post
I currently have a '15 Specialized Allez Sport and will be purchasing a lighter wheelset shortly, I figured that im doing that I should look for some nice lighter training tires as well.

I ride on mainly paved roads, most are well kept, but some are kinda beat up. Im looking for something light, Flat resistant (obviously), 25c and relatively inexpensive <$40. Currently Im still using the Espoir Sports that came with my bike, theyre 25c, and 370g each.

I know we have alot of Gatorskin fans but ive heard that theyve had some sidewall issues and Id like to steer clear of them.

Im currently pretty set on Vittoria Rubino Pro Techs $24/260g or regular Pros for $20/235g from Ribble, but im open to other opinions.
I really like the Vittoria Rubino Pros - and find them to be excellent values. I'm not sure how the Techs differ from them (Ed: From Vittoria's website, these are more rugged tires than the Pros, but somewhat heavier as a result)

I should add that I find the Conti Gatorskins to be a stiff, not supple tire - but they don't flat. And I surely would not pay nearly double for them compared to the Rubino Pros.

Last edited by D1andonlyDman; 07-02-15 at 08:28 AM.
D1andonlyDman is offline  
Old 07-02-15, 07:46 AM
  #7  
dr_lha
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Central PA
Posts: 4,816

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GP4000s or Michelin Pro4s if you like colors (I do).
dr_lha is offline  
Old 07-02-15, 08:11 AM
  #8  
Clipped_in
Rubber side down
 
Clipped_in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Teh Quickie Mart
Posts: 1,591

Bikes: Two wheels - common engine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post
GP4000s or Michelin Pro4s if you like colors (I do).
Just to clarify, go with the P4 Endurance. The P4 Service Course is a nice riding and puncture resistant tire, but I get about twice the miles out of the P4 Endurance.
Clipped_in is offline  
Old 07-02-15, 08:23 AM
  #9  
nick779
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 187

Bikes: 15' Specialized Allez Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by modman View Post
Splurge and get the Continental Grand Prix 4000s clinchers. They're $45 at Wiggle and they're the best training tire I've (and most of my group has) ever used.
Ill keep those in mind, theyre selling them for $40/ea on Ribble.

Originally Posted by D1andonlyDman View Post
I really like the Vittoria Rubino Pros - and find them to be excellent values. I'm not sure how the Techs differ from them.
Supposedly the techs have added sidewall protection. I dont even know if I would need that

Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post
GP4000s or Michelin Pro4s if you like colors (I do).
Originally Posted by Clipped_in View Post
Just to clarify, go with the P4 Endurance. The P4 Service Course is a nice riding and puncture resistant tire, but I get about twice the miles out of the P4 Endurance.
The Pro4 Enduros are on the top of my list, followed by the Rubinos/GP4000s

Ive heard great things about the Pro4 End tires but most of the cheaper priced EU shops are sold out of them. I have time though so ill keep my eyes peeled.

Otherwise I guess its a toss up between the GP4000s and the Rubinos. I see alot of love/hate with the GPs but have heard mostly good things about the Rubinos.
nick779 is offline  
Old 07-02-15, 10:59 AM
  #10  
Clipped_in
Rubber side down
 
Clipped_in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Teh Quickie Mart
Posts: 1,591

Bikes: Two wheels - common engine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by nick779 View Post
Ive heard great things about the Pro4 End tires but most of the cheaper priced EU shops are sold out of them. I have time though so ill keep my eyes peeled.
I just bought 6 of the 23mm black/grey from Merlin last week. They still show them as in stock. 2fer @ $59 is a great deal.
Clipped_in is offline  
Old 07-02-15, 11:01 AM
  #11  
nick779
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 187

Bikes: 15' Specialized Allez Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Clipped_in View Post
I just bought 6 of the 23mm black/grey from Merlin last week. They still show them as in stock. 2fer @ $59 is a great deal.

Im looking for 25c.
nick779 is offline  
Old 07-02-15, 11:09 AM
  #12  
tekhna
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,410
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never heard of Gatorskins having sidewall issues. GP4000 is the other way to go. They're great tires.
tekhna is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
spectastic
Bicycle Mechanics
4
07-05-19 06:39 PM
Aushiker
Recumbent
6
07-06-13 05:00 PM
skitbraviking
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
4
05-01-06 11:13 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.