Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVIII

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVIII

Old 05-17-20, 07:38 AM
  #6226  
Fat n slow
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 4,306

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3261 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 981 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Basically. The way it works is, there are two cultural poles in the northeast: NY and Boston. New England, other than western CT, aligns to Boston. Western CT and NJ align to New York. My family is from eastern CT, originated in Mass (prior to my generation), and vacations in Maine. Much of the rest of my family is from or vacations in New Hampshire, and sometimes Vermont.

Think of it this way: that region is smaller than Texas. It is heavily interlocked, no matter whether you can drive across three states before lunch. People just talk about Massachusetts because that's the part big enough to bother talking about, but really, it covers most of the area.
NY north of Rockland County doesn’t really align to either, especially as you get up into the “North Country” A lot of people up here truly resent the association with the city (I’m not one of them)
phrantic09 is offline  
Old 05-17-20, 08:13 AM
  #6227  
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 51,438

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 781 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28808 Post(s)
Liked 1,885 Times in 1,339 Posts
Originally Posted by ericy
Ravensburger makes puzzles of varying sizes - the largest are 18,000 and even 40,000 piece puzzles.
wut
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 05-17-20, 08:35 AM
  #6228  
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 33,064

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12008 Post(s)
Liked 6,753 Times in 3,526 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
NY north of Rockland County doesn’t really align to either, especially as you get up into the “North Country” A lot of people up here truly resent the association with the city (I’m not one of them)
But you can say pretty much the same about Massachusetts west of Boston . . . just a totally different place outside of the big city.

The real question is what sort of generalizations exist in people’s minds when they think of New York or Massachusetts. I suspect they picture NYC and Boston, to a majority extent, because the rest of the vastness gets little publicity and is a mystery to outsiders.
__________________
See, this is why we can't have nice things. - - smarkinson
Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
BillyD is offline  
Likes For BillyD:
Old 05-17-20, 08:43 AM
  #6229  
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,520

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Shopping for some bike crap, I need four or five things, and trying to support local as much as possible, but none of the shops in the area has more than one of the items that I need in stock.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 05-17-20, 08:51 AM
  #6230  
Fat n slow
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 4,306

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3261 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 981 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
But you can say pretty much the same about Massachusetts west of Boston . . . just a totally different place outside of the big city.

The real question is what sort of generalizations exist in people’s minds when they think of New York or Massachusetts. I suspect they picture NYC and Boston, to a majority extent, because the rest of the vastness gets little publicity and is a mystery to outsiders.
Exactly. I grew up in Watertown about 30 miles from the Canadian border. We camped a lot in other states when I was a kid and people always commented that I didn’t have the NY accent.
phrantic09 is offline  
Old 05-17-20, 09:10 AM
  #6231  
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 51,438

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 781 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28808 Post(s)
Liked 1,885 Times in 1,339 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
Exactly. I grew up in Watertown about 30 miles from the Canadian border.
<==Shopped Watertown years ago when we stayed at my uncle's north of the border. It was the short trip when we didn't want to drive all the way to the big city mall (Syracuse)
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 05-17-20, 09:23 AM
  #6232  
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 56,677

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13763 Post(s)
Liked 4,567 Times in 2,528 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Saddles? I know it’s heresy but I have several bikes and all the saddles I have used are fine. This includes vintage Selle Italia Turbo, 95g CF with no padding, and the crappy “Velo” saddle on BD SS.

My bony butt must not be very sensitive, for which I am grateful.
I don't have trouble with saddles either.
__________________
Originally Posted by patentcad
If this thread doesn't go 10 pages I'm quitting BF.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 05-17-20, 09:23 AM
  #6233  
serious cyclist
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 21,147

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
NY north of Rockland County doesn’t really align to either, especially as you get up into the “North Country” A lot of people up here truly resent the association with the city (I’m not one of them)
Yeah, up there goes towards WNY/ Pittsburgh.

You can see a lot of this in sports teams - all of New England is Patriots/ Red Sox, except for CT which is split. Upstate NY is Giants for those who align to NYC and Bills for those who don't. The further down south you go, the more you see Jets, until NJ is Jets territory.

But for example, for much of my family, the world doesn't extend past New England - they can't understand, and are slightly hurt by, the fact that it's not worth it for me to blow two days of vacation traveling each way to that island in Maine where they want to vacation. The fact that I could spend (in a normal version of the world...) that travel time getting to Hong Kong or Europe is water off a duck's back to them; those are places to read about but you live in CT or MA or NH, and vacation in ME because that's what you do and that's the entire world. The fact that it also takes ten laps of the island to get a half-decent run workout in also doesn't register with them.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 05-17-20, 09:23 AM
  #6234  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 11,287

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10256 Post(s)
Liked 5,229 Times in 2,242 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
Exactly. I grew up in Watertown about 30 miles from the Canadian border. We camped a lot in other states when I was a kid and people always commented that I didn’t have the NY accent.

spent christmas in watertown three years ago. christmas dinner took place at dennys. One of the smallest airports I have ever been too.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 05-17-20, 09:27 AM
  #6235  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 11,287

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10256 Post(s)
Liked 5,229 Times in 2,242 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Shopping for some bike crap, I need four or five things, and trying to support local as much as possible, but none of the shops in the area has more than one of the items that I need in stock.
whatcha looking for?
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 05-17-20, 09:41 AM
  #6236  
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,520

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
whatcha looking for?
Nothing fun.

Chainring - will have to order online
Tubeless valve stems that'll accept the 3mm injector syringe - regular Stan's don't work
DT Swiss rim tape, 21mm
Side of bacon (tubeless plugs)
Orange Seal refill bottle
WhyFi is offline  
Old 05-17-20, 09:52 AM
  #6237  
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 51,438

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 781 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28808 Post(s)
Liked 1,885 Times in 1,339 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
I don't have trouble with saddles either.
What do you have trouble with?
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 05-17-20, 10:00 AM
  #6238  
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 56,677

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13763 Post(s)
Liked 4,567 Times in 2,528 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
NY north of Rockland County doesn’t really align to either, especially as you get up into the “North Country” A lot of people up here truly resent the association with the city (I’m not one of them)
Some people I know: "I'm going to be in NYC, I'll stop by while I'm in the area."
Me: "I'm a five hour drive from NYC."
Some people I know:
__________________
Originally Posted by patentcad
If this thread doesn't go 10 pages I'm quitting BF.
rjones28 is offline  
Likes For rjones28:
Old 05-17-20, 10:04 AM
  #6239  
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 56,677

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13763 Post(s)
Liked 4,567 Times in 2,528 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
Exactly. I grew up in Watertown about 30 miles from the Canadian border. We camped a lot in other states when I was a kid and people always commented that I didn’t have the NY accent.
When I first arrived here, CNY and Western NY accents sounded vaguely Mid-Western to me.
__________________
Originally Posted by patentcad
If this thread doesn't go 10 pages I'm quitting BF.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 05-17-20, 10:24 AM
  #6240  
Fat n slow
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 4,306

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3261 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 981 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
spent christmas in watertown three years ago. christmas dinner took place at dennys. One of the smallest airports I have ever been too.
It’s pretty tiny. I don’t go back there often, it’s chain restaurant hell and with 2 kids and 2 dogs none of my family can really put us up when we visit.
phrantic09 is offline  
Old 05-17-20, 10:26 AM
  #6241  
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 56,677

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13763 Post(s)
Liked 4,567 Times in 2,528 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
<==Shopped Watertown years ago when we stayed at my uncle's north of the border. It was the short trip when we didn't want to drive all the way to the big city mall (Syracuse)
You missed out on the indoor carousel.
__________________
Originally Posted by patentcad
If this thread doesn't go 10 pages I'm quitting BF.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 05-17-20, 10:27 AM
  #6242  
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 56,677

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13763 Post(s)
Liked 4,567 Times in 2,528 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Yeah, up there goes towards WNY/ Pittsburgh.

You can see a lot of this in sports teams - all of New England is Patriots/ Red Sox, except for CT which is split. Upstate NY is Giants for those who align to NYC and Bills for those who don't. The further down south you go, the more you see Jets, until NJ is Jets territory.

But for example, for much of my family, the world doesn't extend past New England - they can't understand, and are slightly hurt by, the fact that it's not worth it for me to blow two days of vacation traveling each way to that island in Maine where they want to vacation. The fact that I could spend (in a normal version of the world...) that travel time getting to Hong Kong or Europe is water off a duck's back to them; those are places to read about but you live in CT or MA or NH, and vacation in ME because that's what you do and that's the entire world. The fact that it also takes ten laps of the island to get a half-decent run workout in also doesn't register with them.
Quite a few Steelers fans around here.
__________________
Originally Posted by patentcad
If this thread doesn't go 10 pages I'm quitting BF.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 05-17-20, 10:28 AM
  #6243  
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 56,677

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13763 Post(s)
Liked 4,567 Times in 2,528 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
What do you have trouble with?
Indoor mice.
__________________
Originally Posted by patentcad
If this thread doesn't go 10 pages I'm quitting BF.
rjones28 is offline  
Likes For rjones28:
Old 05-17-20, 10:35 AM
  #6244  
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 51,438

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 781 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28808 Post(s)
Liked 1,885 Times in 1,339 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
You missed out on the indoor carousel.
I don't recall much specific about the malls other than going there. It was the heyday of malls, though. We also bought petro and foodstuffs.
Originally Posted by rjones28
Indoor mice.
They're mostly harmless.
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
People here don't get it.

Last edited by Velo Vol; 05-17-20 at 10:38 AM.
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 05-17-20, 11:19 AM
  #6245  
serious cyclist
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 21,147

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Some people I know: "I'm going to be in NYC, I'll stop by while I'm in the area."
Me: "I'm a five hour drive from NYC."
Some people I know:
My family, when I moved to Colorado: I saw there were tornados in CO, are you ok?
Me: That's like three hours from me.
Family:

Repeat for Texas. Also with the Houston flooding and a number of other issues
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 05-17-20, 11:28 AM
  #6246  
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,520

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
My family, when I moved to Colorado: I saw there were tornados in CO, are you ok?
Me: That's like three hours from me.
Family:

Repeat for Texas. Also with the Houston flooding and a number of other issues
My dad used to do that kind of thing to me when I lived in NYC - he didn't understand that a) it's a really big city and that b) ...how do I say this? It's not only really big, but it's kind of broken up further in to walking-sized chunks - 3 miles away can be a different world that you never come in to contact with.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 05-17-20, 11:31 AM
  #6247  
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The hot spot.
Posts: 45,064

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12899 Post(s)
Liked 7,824 Times in 4,156 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
My family, when I moved to Colorado: I saw there were tornados in CO, are you ok?
Me: That's like three hours from me.
Family:

Repeat for Texas. Also with the Houston flooding and a number of other issues
It's most hilarious for TX, obv.
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 05-17-20, 11:41 AM
  #6248  
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 51,438

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 781 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28808 Post(s)
Liked 1,885 Times in 1,339 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
how do I say this? It's not only really big, but it's kind of broken up further in to walking-sized chunks - 3 miles away can be a different world that you never come in to contact with.
Not enough walking achievements if you think three miles is too far to walk.
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 05-17-20, 12:06 PM
  #6249  
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,520

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Not enough walking achievements if you think three miles is too far to walk.
People in NYC walk far, far more than the average 'Merican - when in NYC, I never had an out of town visitor that didn't comment on walking fatigue that wasn't even a blip on my radar. But feel free to compare the average NYC dweller with the average Knoxville resident - I'm betting that the eyeball test wouldn't be kind.

That said, walking three miles to a specific destination in NYC is... pretty rare. You already have a metro card in your pocket - you walk a half mile to a station, you hop on the subway, hop off at a station near your destination and walk the remainder. The other difference is that walking is more often done as a matter of course or necessity throughout the day; recreational walking is more of a thing when you're living the I-only-walk-the-50-steps-to-and-from-my-car lifestyle.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 05-17-20, 12:19 PM
  #6250  
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 51,438

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 781 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28808 Post(s)
Liked 1,885 Times in 1,339 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
But feel free to compare the average NYC dweller with the average Knoxville resident
Oh, there's a high bar.
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is offline  
Likes For Velo Vol:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.