Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Budget Hot or Not....

Old 01-21-12, 10:10 AM
  #101  
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!
 
LowCel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 18,087

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson View Post
Changed my mind. $1500 new. With wheels and pedals, about $1900.

NOT!!!


































Okay, so it's hot. Just didn't want to give you the satisfaction of saying so.
__________________
I may be fat but I'm slow enough to make up for it.
LowCel is offline  
Old 01-21-12, 11:19 AM
  #102  
pgjackson
Senior Member
 
pgjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gulf Breeze, FL
Posts: 3,846

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LowCel View Post
NOT!!!


































Okay, so it's hot. Just didn't want to give you the satisfaction of saying so.
Dang, you got me on that. This is a great thread because when I was first considering taking up the sport, a good friend of mine who is an avid cyclist told me that I should expect to spend about $4000 to get a decent bike. $4,000! Right then I almost said, oh, well...nevermind. About a month later I decided to check out a bike shop for myself and I was hooked. You really don't need to spend a ton to get a good bike.

So many beautiful bikes on this thread. I particularly like that Fuji SL1...HOT!

Last edited by pgjackson; 01-21-12 at 11:22 AM.
pgjackson is offline  
Old 01-21-12, 11:33 AM
  #103  
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!
 
LowCel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 18,087

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson View Post
Dang, you got me on that. This is a great thread because when I was first considering taking up the sport, a good friend of mine who is an avid cyclist told me that I should expect to spend about $4000 to get a decent bike. $4,000! Right then I almost said, oh, well...nevermind. About a month later I decided to check out a bike shop for myself and I was hooked. You really don't need to spend a ton to get a good bike.

So many beautiful bikes on this thread. I particularly like that Fuji SL1...HOT!
Thanks. Right now it has so much dirt and grime on it I'm not even sure what color my SL1 is. I'm kind of afraid that when I finally break down and wash it I'll find out that I've been riding someone else's bike.

Spending a ton of money certainly is not necessary. It is kind of fun though, when you understand that you are spending the money on "wants" and not "needs". Granted, I do enjoy riding my Colnago more than I enjoy the Fuji, I don't enjoy it $4,000 or $5,000 more than the Fuji.
__________________
I may be fat but I'm slow enough to make up for it.
LowCel is offline  
Old 01-21-12, 11:35 AM
  #104  
UCIMBZ
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson View Post
Changed my mind. $1500 new. With wheels and pedals, about $1900.

The parallel downtube and seatstays put this bike in odd proportions that it is somewhat not so eye pleasing.
UCIMBZ is offline  
Old 01-21-12, 11:37 AM
  #105  
pgjackson
Senior Member
 
pgjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gulf Breeze, FL
Posts: 3,846

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LowCel View Post
Thanks. Right now it has so much dirt and grime on it I'm not even sure what color my SL1 is. I'm kind of afraid that when I finally break down and wash it I'll find out that I've been riding someone else's bike.

Spending a ton of money certainly is not necessary. It is kind of fun though, when you understand that you are spending the money on "wants" and not "needs". Granted, I do enjoy riding my Colnago more than I enjoy the Fuji, I don't enjoy it $4,000 or $5,000 more than the Fuji.
I started out on a $399 Fuji Newest 3.0. I thought that was a lot of money for a bike at the time. If you had told me that within 18 months I'd be spending $1900 on bike I would have said you were crazy.
pgjackson is offline  
Old 01-21-12, 11:40 AM
  #106  
pgjackson
Senior Member
 
pgjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gulf Breeze, FL
Posts: 3,846

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UCIMBZ View Post
The parallel downtube and seatstays put this bike in odd proportions that it is somewhat not so eye pleasing.
It does have a parallelogram look to it.
pgjackson is offline  
Old 01-21-12, 11:43 AM
  #107  
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!
 
LowCel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 18,087

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson View Post
I started out on a $399 Fuji Newest 3.0. I thought that was a lot of money for a bike at the time. If you had told me that within 18 months I'd be spending $1900 on bike I would have said you were crazy.
I just noticed the gear combination you shot your bike in. Also, valve stems need to be at the bottom of photo, or both hidden by the bike. I take back my hot until you fix those items. The only thing I don't particularly care for on your bike are the pedals and the tires. The good thing about those tires is that in a few thousand miles you should be much better at fixing flats.
__________________
I may be fat but I'm slow enough to make up for it.
LowCel is offline  
Old 01-21-12, 11:56 AM
  #108  
Vaportrail56
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pensacola, Fl
Posts: 273

Bikes: 2002 Burley Django,`99 Gary Fisher Joshua F4, `10 Cannondale Synapse 6, 2012 Cannondale Caad 10-5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@pgjackson, that is one nice looking bike and for that kinda money that is one heck of a deal too.
Vaportrail56 is offline  
Old 01-21-12, 11:59 AM
  #109  
Muffin Man
:)
 
Muffin Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 3,419

Bikes: Gaulzetti Interclub, Cannondale CAAD12, Corex President

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson View Post
Changed my mind. $1500 new. With wheels and pedals, about $1900.

With a slammed stem, and black pedals, and no wheel decals, that would be sooooooo sexy
Muffin Man is offline  
Old 01-21-12, 12:00 PM
  #110  
yzeater
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


~$1400 all in.
yzeater is offline  
Old 01-21-12, 12:09 PM
  #111  
bianchi10
King Hoternot
 
bianchi10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 5,255

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson View Post
Changed my mind. $1500 new. With wheels and pedals, about $1900.

asthetically that is HOTTT!!! how does she ride!? I really like that. Im usually not a fan of black and red bikes but that is sexy as all hell! if anything I would change out the red pedals, but that all personal.
bianchi10 is offline  
Old 01-21-12, 12:12 PM
  #112  
veggie
certified vegetarian
 
veggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 364

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Paramount P10-9, 1988 Cannondale SR2000, 1994 Bridgestone XO-4, 1998 Bianchi Sam Remo, 1998 Ibis Spanky, 2009 Soma Rush, 2012 Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsiegs View Post
Do you mind if I ask how much you paid for the frame/fork? I want to see if I got a good deal too or if I overpaid.
Mine is a '94, so the comparison might not be accurate, but I paid about 155 shipped. Frame/fork/hs/bb
veggie is offline  
Old 01-21-12, 12:14 PM
  #113  
veggie
certified vegetarian
 
veggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 364

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Paramount P10-9, 1988 Cannondale SR2000, 1994 Bridgestone XO-4, 1998 Bianchi Sam Remo, 1998 Ibis Spanky, 2009 Soma Rush, 2012 Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yzeater View Post


~$1400 all in.
Very nice, My dad is going to rebuild his 585 soon. I got him a cdale carbon six and he was riding that for a while.
veggie is offline  
Old 01-21-12, 01:00 PM
  #114  
KendallF
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Orange Park, FL
Posts: 1,343

Bikes: Ever changing..as of 2-24-09: 2003 Giant TCR Team Once, Sampson titanium, 1992 Paramount Series 3, 2003 Cervelo P3, 70s Raleigh Record fixed gear, 70s Fuji SL-12 commuter, mid 90s Klein MTB. Plus two or three frames lurking, plus 5 wife/kids rides

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bianchi10 View Post
what saddle is that? looks so thin, I'd be afriad it would snap as soon as I sat on it!
It's a HED saddle that apparently came on their VO4 (?) TT bikes. I got it in with some random parts. I didn't like the way the sides felt on long rides so I swapped it for an equally hard carbon SLR that's unpadded as well. Love that saddle.

Originally Posted by rat fink View Post

Really like this!

Originally Posted by yzeater View Post


~$1400 all in.
And this..just googled November wheels. Looks like some more Gigantex rims (?). Nice!
KendallF is offline  
Old 01-21-12, 01:10 PM
  #115  
pgjackson
Senior Member
 
pgjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gulf Breeze, FL
Posts: 3,846

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bianchi10 View Post
asthetically that is HOTTT!!! how does she ride!? I really like that. Im usually not a fan of black and red bikes but that is sexy as all hell! if anything I would change out the red pedals, but that all personal.
A friend suggested Keo Classic pedals and I got a smoking deal on red. Not all knocked out about them. My old Forte CF pedals were much easier to clip-in.
pgjackson is offline  
Old 01-21-12, 01:12 PM
  #116  
pgjackson
Senior Member
 
pgjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gulf Breeze, FL
Posts: 3,846

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LowCel View Post
I just noticed the gear combination you shot your bike in. Also, valve stems need to be at the bottom of photo, or both hidden by the bike. I take back my hot until you fix those items. The only thing I don't particularly care for on your bike are the pedals and the tires. The good thing about those tires is that in a few thousand miles you should be much better at fixing flats.
Yep, I noticed that as well and was wondering how long before someone pointed that out . I live half way up a 8% grade, so I'm usually on the small ring when I get home. I will definately make adjustements and take new pictures. Hopefully it won't piss anyone off.
pgjackson is offline  
Old 01-21-12, 01:16 PM
  #117  
pgjackson
Senior Member
 
pgjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gulf Breeze, FL
Posts: 3,846

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vaportrail56 View Post
@pgjackson, that is one nice looking bike and for that kinda money that is one heck of a deal too.
Thanks! I see you are in Pensacola. My family is one of the founding families of Pensacola. Been a Pensacola resident my whole life (military). I was stationed there from 97-2001. I go back a couple of times a year for conferences. Trying to find a job in the Panhandle area when I retire in November. Love that place.
pgjackson is offline  
Old 01-21-12, 01:19 PM
  #118  
stevemtbr
Creamy pack filling
 
stevemtbr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Nine Mile Falls, WA
Posts: 710

Bikes: Trek 8000, Co-Motion tandem, Co-motion Espresso, Yeti Cross, 9Zero7 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Paid $1280 in 2005 with FSA Crank. Since then up grades include Dura Ace BB, Ultegra rear der, Wheels, tires, cassette, stem, bars and saddle. I do race this bike.

stevemtbr is offline  
Old 01-21-12, 01:20 PM
  #119  
junkfoodjunkie
@$#!?&!!$
 
junkfoodjunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Green Country, OK
Posts: 697
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Around $1100

junkfoodjunkie is offline  
Old 01-21-12, 01:22 PM
  #120  
UCIMBZ
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson View Post
A friend suggested Keo Classic pedals and I got a smoking deal on red. Not all knocked out about them. My old Forte CF pedals were much easier to clip-in.
I exchanged my Forte CF pedals at PB due to recall and had the choice to get the either Keo Classic or the Plus. Went with the Plus.
UCIMBZ is offline  
Old 01-21-12, 01:56 PM
  #121  
pgjackson
Senior Member
 
pgjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gulf Breeze, FL
Posts: 3,846

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UCIMBZ View Post
I exchanged my Forte CF pedals at PB due to recall and had the choice to get the either Keo Classic or the Plus. Went with the Plus.
Did not know there was a recall. Maybe that is why I couldn't find them when looking for pedals for the new bike. Since you had the Forte pedals before as well, do you find the Keo pedals harder to clip in?
pgjackson is offline  
Old 01-21-12, 02:04 PM
  #122  
UCIMBZ
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson View Post
Did not know there was a recall. Maybe that is why I couldn't find them when looking for pedals for the new bike. Since you had the Forte pedals before as well, do you find the Keo pedals harder to clip in?
Yes there is. Apparently there was an issue with them breaking at the axle. I have the Plus on my other bikes so it was natural to me and like it very much. Try to play with the tension adjuster. Might help.
UCIMBZ is offline  
Old 01-21-12, 02:06 PM
  #123  
pgjackson
Senior Member
 
pgjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gulf Breeze, FL
Posts: 3,846

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UCIMBZ View Post
Yes there is. Apparently there was an issue with them breaking at the axle. I have the Plus on my other bikes so it was natural to me and like it very much. Try to play with the tension adjuster. Might help.
Headed to the garage right now. Raining cats and dogs today in San Diego. Good day to fiddle around with the bike. It's amazing how quickly matte paint gets filthy.
pgjackson is offline  
Old 01-21-12, 02:35 PM
  #124  
weaver
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ellensburg, WA
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just don't get how people think this one is hot, no offense to whoever's bike it is. Way to cluttered looking for my tastes, and just looks way out of proportion and poorly fitted. Nothing classic about it, already looks dated.



This one however, best of the thread thus far. Love small diameter carbon tubes

weaver is offline  
Old 01-21-12, 02:55 PM
  #125  
canam73
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Haunchyville
Posts: 6,388
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
I just don't get how people think this one is hot, no offense to whoever's bike it is. Way to cluttered looking for my tastes, and just looks way out of proportion and poorly fitted. Nothing classic about it, already looks dated.



This one however, best of the thread thus far. Love small diameter carbon tubes

Whenever I see that Rossetti my eyes immediately go to the 'block' that makes up the head tube. If I could get past that I'd be good with it.

I agree with you on the Look. I think I'll start hunting down a frame like that.
canam73 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.