Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

My Eating SUCKS......

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-11, 03:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My Eating SUCKS......

I used to be 360 pounds plus and before I moved out here, I was 322 but since I have been out here, I am 334 and I cant seem to lose weight. With all the riding I am doing and still cant get there. I think..... I know.... its my eating. Too much crap and not enough fruits and veggies. Too many cookies and other crap. GRRRRRRRRR. I need to start writing down what I eat.
Old 09-02-11, 04:28 AM

Bikes: 2011 Trek 7.3 FX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL my biggest problem as well. I feel your pain. I am not gaining at the moment but I am not losing either its very frustrating. I started off good losing 20 lbs in about a month now I have stalled... There is a site that is pretty cool https://www.mynetdiary.com/ it has searchable food items and allows you log your intake. There is also a smartphone app available if you have one. Also https://nutritiondata.self.com/ is a great site as well for providing decent nutrition information. My biggest problem is I am ALWAYS hungry. I found the first couple weeks that the higher fiber foods were helping me stave off that hunger feeling better I have gotten away from that and need to get back to it.
Old 09-02-11, 07:28 AM

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Write it down!
Old 09-02-11, 07:30 AM
Born Again Pagan

Bikes: Schwinn hybrid, Raleigh MTB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I joined my wife on her WW plan and boy... it sure makes you aware of your food intake! My buddy had a stag party this past weekend and I easily blew through two days worth of food in a few hours. Keeping a food diary helps me to not be in denial of what and how much I eat.
Old 09-02-11, 07:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using loseit.com to track calories and it really helps, plus there is a social media aspect to it as well so that helps some with accountability. Plus it's free. So far I've lost just over 30 lbs since the beginning of June.
Old 09-02-11, 07:38 AM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I love WW for any number of reasons, but the one thing it and most all other successful programs share is journaling, in one form or another. IMO it's essential to formally track what goes into your mouth. Don't rely on memory - not only is it faulty, it's super easy to cheat.
Old 09-02-11, 07:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my problem as well, I am going to start tracking everything and see how that works out!

we can do it
Old 09-02-11, 08:12 AM
I Ride, Therefore I Am

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
same here. Lost 35 lbs when I was logging what I was eating and how much exercise I was doing. Used Livestrong MyPlate. I was pretty consistent for about 6 months and the wieght came off easy. The past 2 months not so much. I have been stuck at my current weight for the past 2 months, not that I am complaining but I would like to drop another 25lbs. Feeling the strongest on the bike as I have felt since I started riding 3 years ago. Not losing but not gaining and not eating all that great. Too much snacking at night and I let the dreaded soda creep back into my diet but not as much as before. I am going to start writing everything down again and I advise you do the same so you can see the number of calories you are consuming vs the number of calories you are burning.
Old 09-02-11, 08:28 AM
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,716 Times in 861 Posts
I found that by cutting out foods high in sugar, it was much easier to stay within my calorie budget. Those cookies or soda will just make you hungry again sooner. Eat good food and you can more or less have all you want (though I still count calories 5 years after I began 'dieting').
Old 09-02-11, 08:29 AM

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
We should start a "what did you eat" thread for accountability ... because mine sucks too.

Not to mention my fondness for beer
Old 09-02-11, 08:45 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
When I saw the subject line, my thought was "are you complaining or bragging?" I'm still not sure. If you know what to do, why aren't you doing it? And yes, I can ask myself the same question.....

As for the riding, I've said it before, and I'll say it again: a bicycle is not a magic weight loss pill.

Old 09-02-11, 08:51 AM

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3 Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of our lives we’ve been dieting, heck when a nutritionist try’s to talk to me I laugh “I already know twice as much about dieting in my little pinky than you will ever know”.

One thing I used to laugh at was people that say not to use the word “diet” because it has the word “Die” in it or “Losing weight” because your subconscious doesn’t want to “Lose” anything it can use for survival.

However I’ve developed a little psychical/psychological trick along these lines. Promise not to laugh? Okay on my mantel below the TV I have 1 gallon bottles of water, each weighing 8.8lbs. I fill the bottles equal to the amount of weight I lose. I weigh once a week and adjust them accordingly, this does two things for me. First it motivates me to fill up another bottle and second, when I’m feeling the urge to revert to my old eating patterns I pick them all up and carry them around a bit to remind myself “Do I want to go bake to this?”

Keep in mind fat is less dense than water so you know visually that you have lost more size in fat than what you see as water. Of course for the believers your subconscious hasn’t lost anything, it on the mantel!

“I SAID NO LAUGHING!!!”

Good Luck, I'm certain you will get through this!
Old 09-02-11, 11:40 AM

Bikes: Gary Fisher Hard Tail MTB - (looking for a road bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ill.clyde
Not to mention my fondness for beer
This is my issue and now we are entering oktoberfest/pumpkin beer varieties.. CURSES!!!
Old 09-02-11, 12:31 PM

Bikes: 2009 Rocky Mountain RC30 D

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by goldfinch
Write it down!

I agree, start a food diary and jot down what you eat and drink, the time and the reason. (it's not always hunger) Write it all down, every snack, piece of candy, beer, wine or whatever.

Then determine the caloric intake of what you ate.

The next step is to plan out your meals a few days in advance and write that down as well. Properly balanced healthy meals, no junk. Then follow the meal plan. If you don't have a kitchen scale and measuring cup then buy one of each to ensure consistent portion control, it's important.
Ideally you would have a dietician assist in a meal plan strategy while you keep your GP in the loop. Not a bad idea to discuss your efforts to lose weight with your Doctor.

Do the same for exercise and physical activity, write down what you do at what intensity and when. Intensity should / can be measured by using the RPE (Scale of 10). Google will turn up lots of examples, explanations etc.

You then need to review the results on a weekly basis, including tracking and recording your weight, which will point out the things you need to work on.

What you are effectively doing is changing or trying to change your lifestyle, not simply diet or exercise. I think most would agree that it does take some discipline to shed the pounds and a lifestyle change to maintain the loss over the long haul.

Good Luck
Old 09-02-11, 01:35 PM

Bikes: Trek 7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have tried a few things and writing down what I eat does help. Next week I am going to try something new. It may not be for everyone but for 21 days it won't kill me if I don't like it. I have looked at the recipes and there is no junk food involved, which is my weak spot. It is the 21 day Vegan Kickstart. If you are curious here is the web page.

https://www.pcrm.org/kickstartHome/
Old 09-02-11, 02:44 PM

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by etofhb
However I’ve developed a little psychical/psychological trick along these lines. Promise not to laugh? Okay on my mantel below the TV I have 1 gallon bottles of water, each weighing 8.8lbs. I fill the bottles equal to the amount of weight I lose. I weigh once a week and adjust them accordingly, this does two things for me. First it motivates me to fill up another bottle and second, when I’m feeling the urge to revert to my old eating patterns I pick them all up and carry them around a bit to remind myself “Do I want to go bake to this?”

Keep in mind fat is less dense than water so you know visually that you have lost more size in fat than what you see as water. Of course for the believers your subconscious hasn’t lost anything, it on the mantel!

“I SAID NO LAUGHING!!!”

Good Luck, I'm certain you will get through this!

I love this idea!
Old 09-02-11, 07:16 PM
DEK

Bikes: '11 Felt Z85

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Do whatever helps. If writing down what you eat helps, then do it. I never found a need to do that. I just stopped eating what I knew was crap. No cookies. No cake. No ice cream. No potato chips. No soda. More veggies. More fruit. And lots of water. I've dropped 35+ lbs since beginning of March.

Good luck to you.
Old 09-02-11, 10:02 PM

Bikes: Wally World Huffy Cranbrook Cruiser (with siily wicker front basket)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i have used thedailyplate then livestrong.com bought it, i have used it off and on. they also have a iPhone app and Android app that all sync to the website.

if your honest with yourself the first week you will have and eye opener/slap in the face/punch in the gut/double take when you realize what your intake actually is. but after that you will be able to pinpoint the useless problems easily, for me it is the pop and hotdog stands.

its not easy bro, and it sucks, but we are all here for you and all are going through the same will power struggles. lately i have been slipping but i am still tracking the bad food, it keeps me from slipping on more than one meal in a day and slipping two days in a row.

btw i ate way healthier when i worked in the restaurant industry than any other time in my life.
Old 09-04-11, 08:43 AM

Bikes: 2010 Jamis Aurora, 2005 Trek 7500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is 2001, writing stuff down is so 20th century. Like others posted, I tracked my calories on livestrong.com/myplate. Then I finally got my first shift position at my job and everything fell apart. I'm currently back up to 218 and trying to get back to what worked before.
Old 09-04-11, 10:14 AM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shawmutt
This is 2001, writing stuff down is so 20th century. Like others posted, I tracked my calories on livestrong.com/myplate. Then I finally got my first shift position at my job and everything fell apart. I'm currently back up to 218 and trying to get back to what worked before.
Sorry you're stuck in the past, shawmutt.

Seriously, though, all I talked about was journaling. I didn't say how to do it. I, in fact, use these new-fangled computering devices, and something called the Interweb.
Old 09-04-11, 10:18 AM

Bikes: 2010 Jamis Aurora, 2005 Trek 7500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigB

Seriously, though, all I talked about was journaling. I didn't say how to do it. I, in fact, use these new-fangled computering devices, and something called the Interweb.
sigh...I feel so old sometimes.
Old 09-04-11, 11:04 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by CraigB

It's a series of tubes that Al Gore invented, isn't it?

Old 09-04-11, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
only 4 more hours till I take the pork shoulder out of the grill... I'll start writing down what I eat 6 hours from now

Last edited by HazeT; 09-04-11 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-04-11, 01:57 PM

Bikes: Wally World Huffy Cranbrook Cruiser (with siily wicker front basket)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I decided this weekend that livestrong/myplate website is down and the android app is not working and it will resume tuesday at 8am

enjoy the slow cooked pork, i know i will
Old 09-04-11, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CJ C
I decided this weekend that livestrong/myplate website is down and the android app is not working and it will resume tuesday at 8am
enjoy the slow cooked pork, i know i will
I will. stop by for a piece We are neighbors. Chicago NW suburbs here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.