Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The helmet thread

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: Helmet wearing habits?
I've never worn a bike helmet
10.66%
I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped
5.63%
I've always worn a helmet
38.80%
I didn't wear a helmet, but now do
24.43%
I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions
20.48%
Voters: 1670. You may not vote on this poll

The helmet thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-12, 07:44 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I actually would like to know what makes the anti helmet zealots tick. I have one theory----they are the hairy chested types that want to project an image, but really know they should be wearing a helmet.
So they post all the anti helmet diatribes that become a sounding board for like types. That way they are seeking and find reinforcement of their flawed judgement.
Old 07-29-12, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by closetbiker
so in other words, they thought, "it could have been worse", but they didn't know, and assumed, the helmet "must have" helped, even if it didn't.

Still, I fail to see the "good news" when Helmeteers pontificate without really knowing what the helmet did or did not do
You want to make this all about the "good news" quote.

All I'm trying to point out is your misleading citation. Publicist was playing this off as "good news" when he was still alive -- you want to make this out as if the publicist was saying this is good news after he died. Which is so obviously not the case, based on the link you provided.

But it is typical of the way the bare-head brigade enjoys misrepresenting citations, studies, pulling things out of context, etc.
Old 07-29-12, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by sudo bike
Bingo.
So you also support misrepresentation of quotes from legitimate sources...?
Old 07-29-12, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by skye
British study concludes "that cycle helmets may not be especially
effective in reducing head injuries."

https://jme.bmj.com/content/early/201...cs-2011-100085

I keep waiting for the helmeteers to come up with some untainted evidence. They seem unable to do so, relying on faith-based salvation qualities of helmets.
Seriously?

Here's the full quote you clipped:

"
We suggest that cycle helmets may not be especially effective in reducing head injuries and we suggest that the imposition of such a restrictive law would violate people's freedom and reduce their autonomy. We also argue that those who accept such a restrictive law would be committed to supporting further legislation which would force many other groups – including pedestrians – to take fewer risks with their health. We conclude that cycle helmet legislation should not be enacted in the UK unless, perhaps, it is restricted to children."
In other words, they are not saying quite what you say they are saying; rather, they are disputing the positive effects of mandatory helmet laws, which most agree with...

Last edited by mconlonx; 07-29-12 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-29-12, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by RazrSkutr
So you'd fall into the group of people that believe that bike helmets prevent TBI?

I was going to wear a helmet today, but my wife begged me not to because she was worried that the risk of rotational injuries (probably exacerbated to the tune of low single digit percentages by strapping on a helmet) might leave our daughter without a father. So I decided to do the responsible thing and leave it at home. I hate the idea of my family wishing that I hadn't succumbed to religious bullying. Imagine them saying: if only Daddy had THOUGHT instead of assuming despite all the evidence.
How many cyclists die, world-wide, any given year, due to helmet induced rotational brain injuries...?
Old 07-29-12, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 4343 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
All I'm trying to point out is your misleading citation.
He does that frequently.

How many cyclists die, world-wide, any given year, due to helmet induced rotational brain injuries...?
No one has any idea. It's a speculated problem. There isn't any evidence that shows it occurs in the real world with any sort of regularity. And many of the anti-helmet camp don't appear to have any problems with helmet use when mountain biking. I guess there's a magic effect that doesn't cause rotation injuries mountain biking.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-29-12 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-29-12, 12:28 PM
Geck, wo ist mein Fahrrad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I keep wondering about the rotational injury thing and it seems it would have a bigger affect the faster you were going when it occurred.
going 10 mph doesn't seem there would be enough force to worry about, where as 40-50 would worry me. but then at those speeds the limits of the helmet's protection have been exceeded. I would argue the faster you go the less you would "need" a helmet, at least the beer cooler variety. I wouldn't mind wearing a heavier, hotter, uglier helmet that worked. it's why I wear one in the winter when I have to go slow.

does anyone else notice how many children ride with a helmet blocking their vision or off to the side, beret style because the straps are so loose? I used to stop and ask the parents if I could adjust them for them, but no more, when the kid falls off the bike the parents will praise the helmets and their wise decision to use them. I won't have to hear it, so I probably shouldn't even care.
Old 07-29-12, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
You want to make this all about the "good news" quote.

All I'm trying to point out is your misleading citation. Publicist was playing this off as "good news" when he was still alive -- you want to make this out as if the publicist was saying this is good news after he died. Which is so obviously not the case, based on the link you provided.

But it is typical of the way the bare-head brigade enjoys misrepresenting citations, studies, pulling things out of context, etc.
Read it again big boy. The publicist assumed his helmet prevented "long-term damage", when it didn't. The "good news" was based on an assumption that was wrong. It wasn't "good news" at all.

My post (and link) was all about the whacked-out logic people have about helmets, which is all about the "good news" quote. I didn't misrepresent it.

Last edited by closetbiker; 07-31-12 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-30-12, 02:07 AM

Bikes: 2012 Tarmac Comp, 2011 S-Works SL3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First of all,
definitely helmet on every ride (unless you are riding on your trainer in the living room)
Same way you put your seatbelt on in a car.

Good helmet too. Not an expensive one (that is not the point here) but safe and comfortable,
remember you are always the "weakest link" on the road, when things go sour, you should protect your head,
even when your arms get some traction.
Speaking of helmets, Giro Aeon has been the best one I ever had (had Uvex, Specialized (even though I am a fan), bell)

I hope that is what the thread is about (I was a bit confused intially)
Old 07-30-12, 02:47 AM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by qeaou

I appreciate that this thread s very long and it may be asking too much to request new posters to read it all before participating. But surely even a cursory examination would have told you that it is not just soliciting opinions on which helmets to use.

Since you're in Australia, how about giving us your opinion on why introducing mandatory helmets laws seems to have failed to make Australian cyclists - those that remain, anyway - any safer?
Old 07-30-12, 02:51 AM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Seriously?

Here's the full quote you clipped:

"
We suggest that cycle helmets may not be especially effective in reducing head injuries and we suggest that the imposition of such a restrictive law would violate people's freedom and reduce their autonomy. We also argue that those who accept such a restrictive law would be committed to supporting further legislation which would force many other groups – including pedestrians – to take fewer risks with their health. We conclude that cycle helmet legislation should not be enacted in the UK unless, perhaps, it is restricted to children."
In other words, they are not saying quite what you say they are saying; rather, they are disputing the positive effects of mandatory helmet laws, which most agree with...
No, they are saying exactly what he said they were saying. Read the first fourteen words of the passage quoted. Their opposition to MHLs follows their assessment that helmets may not be especially effective.
Old 07-30-12, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
An even better question: How many cyclists die, world-wide, any given year, due to head injuries?

A: Damn few.
Old 07-30-12, 07:28 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Apparently my post #3102 hit too close to home for members of the anti helmet cult to even want to discuss it.!
Old 07-30-12, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 4343 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by skye
An even better question: How many cyclists die, world-wide, any given year, due to head injuries?

A: Damn few.
You just said that the the "rotational injury" argument is specious.

You don't really have a problem with specious arguments. As long as they support your position.

Anyway, most cyclists, world-wide, are likely riding rather slowly too. If you were really interested in reducing injuries, you'd be for mandatory limits to bicycle speed!

===================

The arguments against helmets are all over the place.

While the arguments for helmets is not very strong. The arguments against them are no better.
Old 07-30-12, 08:26 AM
Pedal Pusher/Pundit

Bikes: Motobecane Jubilee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hagen2456
Yes. Belief. That's all we need.
Yes, what these forums really need is more snark. Seriously, in my short time here all I see is a bunch of unhappy snarky people who have nothing better to do than be smartasses. Many of you have no intention of having an actual conversation.
Old 07-30-12, 11:20 AM

Bikes: 2000-something 3 speed commuter, 1990-something Raleigh Scorpion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rydabent
Apparently my post #3102 hit too close to home for members of the anti helmet cult to even want to discuss it.!
Apparently you don't read or don't like the explanations that have been posted numerous times. Essentially, people can't be bothered to keep posting stuff for you to ignore.
Old 07-30-12, 12:11 PM
Geck, wo ist mein Fahrrad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qeaou
First of all,
definitely helmet on every ride (unless you are riding on your trainer in the living room)
Same way you put your seatbelt on in a car.
Good helmet too. Not an expensive one (that is not the point here) but safe and comfortable,

remember you are always the "weakest link" on the road, when things go sour, you should protect your head,
even when your arms get some traction.
Speaking of helmets, Giro Aeon has been the best one I ever had (had Uvex, Specialized (even though I am a fan), bell)
why would you be confused? just because your post is the only one with a helmet recommendation in six pages?

that's good advice to remember BTW, and now as I have responded to your post as is customary in the helmet thread I'll need to insult something about you, did you have a preference? future offspring? your mother? perhaps you'd like it to remain about you and your IQ. do let me know. and welcome to the BF.
Old 07-31-12, 08:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The same number that are saved by them probably.

No one knows.

Assertions to the contrary are dishonest.

Apparently it's now 5%.
Old 07-31-12, 04:16 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I found that one of the local bike shops is having an evening ride. Their facebook page says, "HEADLIGHTS, TAILLIGHTS RECOMMENDED AND HELMET IS REQUIRED!"
Seems strange to me, since headlights and taillights are required by state law and helmets are not.
Old 07-31-12, 04:21 PM
Bicikli Huszár

Bikes: '95 Novara Randonee

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcrow
Yes, what these forums really need is more snark. Seriously, in my short time here all I see is a bunch of unhappy snarky people who have nothing better to do than be smartasses. Many of you have no intention of having an actual conversation.
Welcome to the Internet.
Old 07-31-12, 04:23 PM
Bicikli Huszár

Bikes: '95 Novara Randonee

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SweetLou
I found that one of the local bike shops is having an evening ride. Their facebook page says, "HEADLIGHTS, TAILLIGHTS RECOMMENDED AND HELMET IS REQUIRED!"
Seems strange to me, since headlights and taillights are required by state law and helmets are not.
And that headlights and taillights help prevent a collision from occurring with a car, something often fatal; a helmet is only designed to help after a crash, and not with a car.
Old 07-31-12, 04:35 PM

Bikes: 2000-something 3 speed commuter, 1990-something Raleigh Scorpion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's the basic problem: all the frenzied and disproportionate promotion and mandating of helmets distracts from other safety aspects which actually make a difference.
Old 07-31-12, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Monster Pete
That's the basic problem: all the frenzied and disproportionate promotion and mandating of helmets distracts from other safety aspects which actually make a difference.
Could be a reason why helmet laws seem to make little or no impact on injury rates, focus on helmets distract from more effective methods of injury prevention, those methods often ignored because of the faith placed in helmets to prevent injury.
Old 07-31-12, 09:04 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sudo bike
And that headlights and taillights help prevent a collision from occurring with a car, something often fatal; a helmet is only designed to help after a crash, and not with a car.
Not only that, but I thought the reason why all the organized rides require a helmet is because of "insurance reasons". At least that is what they say. I am not a lawyer, but wouldn't allowing people to ride without state required equipment void the policy and open up a lawsuit?
Old 07-31-12, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Nothing sadder than a troll who can't get people to talk to him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.