Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Overtraining?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Overtraining?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-10, 03:15 PM
Cat-5-O-Meter: Training

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Prairie Native
oh, and does a diet of mostly pizza and beer become detrimental to training? i need to know about diet too. not sure what I should be eating..
:facepalm:
Old 05-10-10, 03:29 PM
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Prairie Native
oh, and does a diet of mostly pizza and beer become detrimental to training? i need to know about diet too. not sure what I should be eating..
...... please tell me you are at least being somewhat facetious

you go to a college, there should be a registered dietitian to help you eat healthier; most likely, this service is free. and you'll need some dietary advice, too, as hard training puts actually weakens your immune system as energy is shunted away from immune system to adapt to stress. you really need to get a good dose of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and omega-3 fatty acids to maintain your fitness. also, don't forget to get a good dose of calcium, too
Old 05-10-10, 03:35 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
rest is highly underrated
Old 05-10-10, 07:12 PM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 765 Times in 394 Posts
Originally Posted by mcjimbosandwich
...... please tell me you are at least being somewhat facetious

you go to a college, there should be a registered dietitian to help you eat healthier; most likely, this service is free. and you'll need some dietary advice, too, as hard training puts actually weakens your immune system as energy is shunted away from immune system to adapt to stress. you really need to get a good dose of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and omega-3 fatty acids to maintain your fitness. also, don't forget to get a good dose of calcium, too
If the OP's not overweight, I don't see a big problem. Pizza pretty much contains all the food groups. Young, skinny, riding a bunch, you can get away with a lot of dietary indiscretions.

Chirs Horner's got pretty far on Burgers and fries.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 05-10-10, 07:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have dropped 10 pounds, down from 180 to 170. Im 6'2 so im not overwieght. Flats are my friend, climbs...well not so much.
Old 05-10-10, 09:34 PM
fuggitivo solitario

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
If the OP's not overweight, I don't see a big problem. Pizza pretty much contains all the food groups. Young, skinny, riding a bunch, you can get away with a lot of dietary indiscretions.

Chirs Horner's got pretty far on Burgers and fries.
it doesn't make up for the fiber and vitamins that you need, unless, of course, you are eating an umd style pizza. a ton of alcohol also ain't good for recovery.
Old 05-10-10, 10:02 PM
Cat-5-O-Meter: Training

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
skinny =/= healthy
Old 05-11-10, 06:18 AM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Originally Posted by mcjimbosandwich
it doesn't make up for the fiber and vitamins that you need, unless, of course, you are eating an umd style pizza. a ton of alcohol also ain't good for recovery.
If the OP is 1) College aged, 2) at his ideal racing weight, and 3) is riding a ton, eating a bunch of Pizza is not going to hurt him.

Spot me all 3, and I'll bet you dollars to donuts, he doesn't get any faster if you substitute fish oils, tofu, etc. for the pizza.

I'll grant you that a well rounded diet of whole foods is healthier, but unless the OP needs to drop pounds, I doubt his diet is currently holding him back.

As for the beer, its an issue of quantity.
Old 05-11-10, 06:43 AM
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Interesting that you mentioned Jack Daniels, since the real Jack Daniels is pretty much the authority on periodization (and also very much a proponent of watching out for overtraining)
Old 05-11-10, 07:17 AM
pan y agua

The Jack Daniels reference was to clue people in, that might not be familiar, where the quote came from.
Old 05-11-10, 10:53 AM
fuggitivo solitario

If the OP is 1) College aged, 2) at his ideal racing weight, and 3) is riding a ton, eating a bunch of Pizza is not going to hurt him.

Spot me all 3, and I'll bet you dollars to donuts, he doesn't get any faster if you substitute fish oils, tofu, etc. for the pizza.

I'll grant you that a well rounded diet of whole foods is healthier, but unless the OP needs to drop pounds, I doubt his diet is currently holding him back.

As for the beer, its an issue of quantity.
of course i'll spot you all three, but point being proper nutrition is not just about calorie in vs calorie out. the vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients coming from a well balanced meal just can't be substituted. when you are under such high stress, these additional nutrients become even more important in keeping you disease free, and that's the real benefit of a balanced diet

The Jack Daniels reference was to clue people in, that might not be familiar, where the quote came from.
so are you talking about JD as in the JD who wrote Daniel's Running Formula? coming from a running background, i did a double take when you mentioned it
Old 05-11-10, 01:31 PM
pan y agua

No, the overtraing quote was from Floyd Landis before the 2006 Tour de France.
Old 05-11-10, 01:37 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount, Trek MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Overtrained?

"There's only one rule: The guy who trains the hardest, the most, wins. Period. Because you won't die. Even though you feel like you'll die, you don't actually die. Like when you're training, you can always do one more. Always. As tired as you might think you are, you can always, always do one more."

So there's no such thing as overtraining?

"If you overtrained, it means that you didn't train hard enough to handle that level of training," "So you weren't overtrained; you were actually undertrained to begin with. So there's the rule again: The guy who trains the hardest, the most, wins."

Of course Jack Daniels help with this program.
Was it Jack Daniels that fueled his epic ride? I thought it was Jim Beam...

I got the reference immediately upon reading it...what do I win? :-)