Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I was Refused Service at McDonalds

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-16, 09:26 PM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by blue192
Dairy Queen I think is the only national chain with a "walk thru" window. So that you stand outside to buy ice cream, I have seen several smaller non chained ice cream shops do this too.
One of the DQ's by us still has a walk-up window.

I don't know their coverage nationally, but Sonic has a board you order from, you don't even need to get off the bike. Attendants bring the food right to you, like it's still the 1950's. They don't care if you're on foot, a bike, or a lawn tractor.

Watch out for that menu, though. They have at least half a dozen malts over 2,000 calories. Which is just amazing.

I don't think you can take a bike into a drive-thru anywhere in California-- as mentioned before, it's a liability issue.
Old 05-17-16, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Watch out for that menu, though. They have at least half a dozen malts over 2,000 calories.
Their 'mini' is close to 600 Cals. No wonder cyclists have pot bellies...
Old 05-17-16, 09:34 PM

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 383 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
More than a few threads on this topic. Bring your bike inside or find a better neighborhood to stop at. They're concerned with liability if a lousy driver runs over you.
I agree except the better neighborhood part. Doesn't matter what neighborhood take your bike inside. No such thing as a crime free neighborhood. The only difference is poorer neighborhoods have bars on the windows, and financially stable neighborhoods have alarm systems.
Old 05-17-16, 09:36 PM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Their 'mini' is close to 600 Cals. No wonder cyclists have pot bellies...

Sonic Double bacon cheeseburger. Large M&M milkshake. Large tots. FOUR THOUSAND CALORIES. Sweet jesus.
Old 05-17-16, 09:38 PM

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 383 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Sonic Double bacon cheeseburger. Large M&M milkshake. Large tots. FOUR THOUSAND CALORIES. Sweet jesus.
And a potbelly to go please.
Old 05-17-16, 09:46 PM
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 123 Posts
What do you expect from people who try to make a career with no education and starts at minimum wage? This ha happened to me many times. Even once at bank drive-up window.
Old 05-17-16, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by texaspandj
I agree except the better neighborhood part. Doesn't matter what neighborhood take your bike inside. No such thing as a crime free neighborhood. The only difference is poorer neighborhoods have bars on the windows, and financially stable neighborhoods have alarm systems.
I've taken my bike into a Safeway but never into a coffee shop or restaurant. If I'm by myself I usually lean it up against a window where I can keep an eye on it. Wouldn't do it in downtown Vancouver but most of the suburbs are fine.
Old 05-17-16, 10:03 PM

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 53 Posts
you handled it wrong..
Old 05-17-16, 10:24 PM

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd just walk my bike inside if I was worried about it's security. I have done this before with good results in grocery stores .
Old 05-17-16, 10:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would have claimed I was blind and started yelling "Discrimination!!" when they refused to serve me. YMMV.
Old 05-17-16, 10:56 PM

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Maybelater
I was out riding tonight on my single speed and didn't plan on any stops so I left my lock at home. I rode by a McDonalds and thought a ice cream would be nice. I couldn't risk leaving my bike unattended so I tried to order at the drive up speaker. I was refused service because my bike is not considered a motor vehicle. I explained that I couldn't leave my bike outside without a lock. They didn't care so I spoke to their manager and got the same answer. Apparently they don't like ride up customers or grumpy old men on bikes. I suggested they don't want my business and was told they don't want my business. So much for that relaxing ride. Am I being hypersensitive or is their corporate policy a few fries short of a happy meal?
It's actually called LIABILITY and it's their insurance company that sets that policy of no bicyclist being served at a drive-tru. I don't know of any fast food place that'll serve a bicyclist in the drive-thru.

Cheers
Old 05-17-16, 11:14 PM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
It is really no secret that fast food joints do not serve anyone not in a vehicle at the drive thru. I'm sure I can find exceptions here and there, but this is a fairly universal rule. I've tried walking up to a few fast food joints whilst drunk that were within walking distance of my place in college, after the indoors closed down. Refused service at every one, with one Taco Bell telling the drunk kids they would serve us if we came back in a car

Regardless of your views on whether or not a bicycle is a legal vehicle, you are on private property, not public roads. Like it or not, they make the rules, and this is hardly a rule that I can find offense with. As others have said, either walk the bike in or leave it outside, or find a local joint with a walk up window.

FWIW, I've had a few deny me on a motorcycle.
Old 05-18-16, 04:41 AM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked 807 Times in 514 Posts
DRIVE THRU, NOT BIKE THRU. Don't forget the lock.
Old 05-18-16, 04:45 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18596 Post(s)
Liked 16,100 Times in 7,560 Posts
Great advice! I will follow your recommendation....
The disturbing thing is that you needed that advice. As a preemptive measure, I will advise you not to run with scissors.
Old 05-18-16, 05:24 AM
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by canklecat
You're seriously going to play devil's advocate for McDonald's? Can't tell if trolling or just like to argue for the sake of arguing.

I do have to go there, at least once a month for day-long medical appointments to accompany my disabled mom, and occasionally to accompany disabled neighbors who don't have medical aides to help them on long medical appointment days. Usually I prefer the hospital cafeteria but it has very limited hours.

McD's only almost-decent meal is breakfast, which fortunately they now serve extended hours. Their food is terrible. If McD's ever accidentally puts something good on the menu, they'll discontinue it as soon as they discover their mistake. Sonic, Braum's, Wendy's, Whataburger, Burger King, Jack in the Box... all of 'em are better. Jack in the Box 99 cent dogfood tacos are better than anything on the McD's menu. The only fast food burger joint remotely as bad as McD's is In-N-Out Burger, which isn't actually bad just overrated and they cook their burgers into dried husks of formerly meat-like substances. On the plus side, our local In-N-Out lets homeless people rest and nap there, as long as they don't hassle customers. So, extra credit to them for that.
Devil's advocate?
I have a big mac and fries from there at least once a month. I believe the big mac to be one of the ten best sandwiches ever created.
But I obviously don't have as discriminating a palate as you. Nor have I dissected a fast food restaurant as thoroughly as you seem to have done on your many 'charity' visits lol
Old 05-18-16, 06:29 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

I was out riding tonight on my single speed and didn’t plan on any stops so I left my lock at home. I rode by a McDonalds and thought a ice cream would be nice. I couldn’t risk leaving my bike unattended so I tried to order at the drive up speaker. I was refused service because my bike is not considered a motor vehicle...

Apparently they don’t like ride up customers or grumpy old men on bikes. I suggested they don’t want my business and was told they don’t want my business. So much for that relaxing ride. Am I being hypersensitive or is their corporate policy a few fries short of a happy meal?
Originally Posted by Northwestrider
I’d just walk my bike inside if I was worried about it’s security. I have done this before with good results in grocery stores .

Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
So as long as you were wearing shoes and a shirt.... why didn't you just hoist your bike to your shoulder walk in and order your cone?

Originally Posted by spdntrxi
you handled it wrong..
In defense of McD, and other fast food restaurants, I’m grateful for their widespread locations to use their facilities.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
… When I’m out for a long day’s ride, the only time I might abandon my bike is for a bathroom stop. By the time I need one, I’m usually out in the suburbs, where everyone travels by car, and would have to load my bike to flee. I always stop at a fast food restaurant and bring the bike inside, and quickly do my business (don’t even wash my hands ). Outdoor pit stops in relatively populous Metro Boston does carry some risk for arrest as a level 3 sex offender.

Furthermore, I figure I’m conspicuous as I clack-clack-clack in cycling attire across the floor, and a would-be thief would be conspicuous as not-the-owner of my bike…
So I would not get bent out of shape, and would not even bother using the drive-up window, but just go inside.

I could have taken my bike in the restaurant but felt it wouldn't be appreciated. I had a locked bike stolen last week and wasn't taking any chances. It was the managers curt response to my inquiry that got me frustrated. I sensed a too big to care attitude.

Originally Posted by PepeM
...Go to a better place.
It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-18-16 at 06:36 AM.
Old 05-18-16, 06:48 AM
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 208 Posts
Here's what you missed out on: Ingredients: Milk, Sugar, Cream, Nonfat Milk Solids, Corn Syrup Solids, Mono- and Diglycerides, Guar Gum, Dextrose, Sodium Citrate, Artificial Vanilla Flavor,
Sodium Phosphate, Carrageenan, Disodium Phosphate, Cellulose Gum, Vitamin A Palmitate

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 05-18-16, 07:01 AM

Bikes: Novarra Randonee 2016, Trek Verve 2 2015

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bakes1
Devil's advocate?
I have a big mac and fries from there at least once a month. I believe the big mac to be one of the ten best sandwiches ever created.
But I obviously don't have as discriminating a palate as you. Nor have I dissected a fast food restaurant as thoroughly as you seem to have done on your many 'charity' visits lol
Deli's advocate!....
Old 05-18-16, 07:15 AM
Don't make me sing!

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 1986 Centurion Elite RS, Diamondback hardtail MTB, '70s Fuji Special Road Racer, 2012 Raleigh Revenio 2.0, 1992 Trek 1000

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never been denied service when riding my horse up to the drive-thru window at Whataburger.

I'm pretty sure the law considers that a hangin' offense.
Old 05-18-16, 07:21 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 217 Posts
Fast food aside, I stop for ice cream on almost every long ride I do... in fact, I often plan my rides based on the location of ice cream shops, and small (or good) ice cream shops in my area almost always have a window for walk-ups. It has never occurred to me to go to McDonalds for ice cream - that is probably the last place I would go. Even an ice-cream bar from a convenience store would be preferable.
Old 05-18-16, 07:24 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 217 Posts
Originally Posted by bakes1
Devil's advocate?
I agree. If you like McDonalds sandwiches, then you like McDonalds sandwiches, just like billions of other people around the world, regardless of what food snobs think. And their fries are just about the best in the FF industry, bettered only by specialty French fry places and the best fry trucks. I also really like their breakfast sandwiches. The OP was looking for ice cream, though, which is not one of McD's strong points, IMO.
Old 05-18-16, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
It's actually called LIABILITY and it's their insurance company that sets that policy of no bicyclist being served at a drive-tru. I don't know of any fast food place that'll serve a bicyclist in the drive-thru.

Cheers
And you know this how?

Many years ago the League of American Bicyclists had an article in their magazine on this subject. The reporter asked about the policy at various national banks, restaurants, and other stores with drive-up windows. Almost universally they claimed that the prohibition was based on their insurance carrier policy. Then he asked the insurance carriers for these businesses and not a single one had any issue with allowing bicyclists at the drive-up nor did their written policies. The insurance/liability claim appeared to just be used as an excuse.
Old 05-18-16, 08:04 AM

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kevindsingleton
I've never been denied service when riding my horse up to the drive-thru window at Whataburger.
Ever been to the one in Stephenville? I used to work security across the road from it, and saw horses in the drive-thru more than once.

If the local health food store and smoothie shop had better hours, I'd take advantage of their 10% bike-in discount more often.
Old 05-18-16, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by prathmann
And you know this how?

Many years ago the League of American Bicyclists had an article in their magazine on this subject. The reporter asked about the policy at various national banks, restaurants, and other stores with drive-up windows. Almost universally they claimed that the prohibition was based on their insurance carrier policy. Then he asked the insurance carriers for these businesses and not a single one had any issue with allowing bicyclists at the drive-up nor did their written policies. The insurance/liability claim appeared to just be used as an excuse.
The insurance companies don't care if they payout but the rates they charge will be adjusted appropriately. Insurance companies will always make money. It's up to the insured to minimize their risk.
Old 05-18-16, 08:12 AM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I've gone through drive-up windows a number of times on my bike at various fast-food restaurants, and I've only been denied service once. However, I generally will lock up my bike or bring it inside. I never ride without a bike lock, although it's a small cable lock only intended for quick stops. Like others said, Micky D's probably wouldn't serve you do to liability concerns -- basically the same legal system that requires idiot tabs on the front forks of bikes. From their perspective, it probably makes sense because you would probably sue their pants off if some bozo in a car ran into you in the drive-thru lane.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.