Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo Record hubs anyone?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Campagnolo Record hubs anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-24, 12:43 PM

Bikes: Too many!

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 48 Posts
Would I be right in thinking that you need a single freewheel?

If so, possibly a GoldTech cartridge bearing rear hub could work for you. I'd need to check whether they're still in a position to do a custom drilling, they used to offer it, were still offering it when last I spoke to them a few months ago, for another customer - but I know that they have had some production challenges of late.

These are a cartridge bearing hub - I can't think, apart from a vintage hub, that you'd find an open bearing 40H hub now and vintage hubs that are drilled 40H are likely to be pretty old and so, as you say, spare parts may become problematic although, if the hub is in basically good condition, that shouldn't be a huge concern.

In terms of durability, a cartridge bearing has one huge advantage, which is that although the bearings themselves as originally fitted have a higher rolling resistance than an open bearing can have (although it depends how the open bearing is packed), as and when they do wear, the cartridges can simply be extracted and new cartridges fitted which as they are a complete bearing assembly, will return your hubs to smooth-as-new.

It's possible to pop the seals on cartridge bearings and reduce drag by flushing them with solvent & leaving one (or even both, if they are 2RS) seals off but that will compromise bearing life, especially in outdoor applications.

Hopping shouldn't do anything dire on an older hub, so long as it's in a good state to start with - with 40 spokes in there absorbing the loads, that's one area of concern I probably wouldn't have, especially given typical wide tyre sections ...

I'll have a chat with the guys at GoldTech and see where they are at - I have one of their track hubs in my winter fixed wheel bike which I ride all the way through typical wet and horrible UK winters - it's been in there since 2008 and I can honestly say, all I've done with it since, is wipe it down with a soapy rag ... so durability isn't a problem!
Old 04-03-24, 07:22 PM
God hates bike polo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup, single-speed freewheel!

Current hope is on a NOS Maillard 700 I ran across. Might be French threaded though.

Do you have any knowledge on rebuilding old hubs? If I pick something up that's seen better days could I get it spinning nicely again or are the replacement parts likely too niche? I'm also looking at a Phil Wood 1st Gen hub, but it's quick release. Could I convert it or have it converted to thru-axle?

I hadn't heard of Goldtech, thanks for checking in with them!