Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your mixte (mhendricks' new happy place)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your mixte (mhendricks' new happy place)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-17, 07:19 PM
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
If you google Atom 440 pedal, there is a YouTube video on rebuilding these pedals. In the video, they measure the size of the ball bearings needed. Good luck!

Last edited by elcraft; 04-13-17 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-13-17, 11:54 PM
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1132 Post(s)
Liked 1,675 Times in 959 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Cibie probably only made the reflectors. They were a automotive lighting company, after all, famous for driving lights and headlights. Pedals are likely Atom or Lyotard.
Originally Posted by elcraft
If you google Atom 440 pedal, there is a YouTube video on rebuilding these pedals. In the video, they measure the size of the ball bearings needed. Good luck!
Thanks guys !!
Old 05-07-17, 07:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is the Ficelle mixte that I had purchased new in ~1983 for my Mom and added a bunch of upgraded parts to for her. It maybe has 100 miles on it. Has not been used in 30 years. I think I will clean her up and sell it.

Last edited by 59ctd; 05-05-20 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-07-17, 07:08 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do I insert images inline into the post rather than having a URL link that opens another browser window for the image?
Old 05-07-17, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 419 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked 3,482 Times in 2,260 Posts
Originally Posted by 59ctd
How do I insert images inline into the post rather than having a URL link that opens another browser window for the image?
If you click on the yellow and black "postcard" icon in the message window you can post photos via the URL; just "copy" and "paste." If a photo fails to load it is most commonly due to too large a file size.

If you click on the paperclip icon you can load photos direct from your computer's HD.

-----

Thank you for sharing your bicycle. We do not get to see many of this marque here on the pacific coast where I live. Have always thought there must be an agent for them in the east.

One thing I noticed was the elaborate routing for the cycle's rear brake cable. It is so much simpler on a mixte to fit a brake bridge to the laterals for a direct line pull and shorter cable length. Alternately, if one wishes to use the seat stay bridge it is possible to have a caliper which pulls from the bottom. Wonder what the thinking was behind this arrangement.

-----
Old 05-07-17, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by BikeTales
Mercier I picked up on eBay. Couldn't resist the color and the white detail. Will make a fine tweed ride bike

I'll do a somewhat thorough restore on it and won't change much.
Thanks very much for sharing this handsome find. Outstanding condition for ~45 years old. A bit unusual to see a bike with MAFAC brake calipers combined CLB tourist levers. You might wish to consider replacing the Union 40U pedals with a french set which can be serviced. The handgrips look like they may be REG.

Please post once again when you have completed your work.

-----
Old 05-07-17, 08:17 AM

Bikes: '86 Veloce, 72 Moto Le Champ , 72 Moto G.R., 75 Moto G.J. , 74 Moto G.R. frame, (2) 75 Moto G.J. mixte, numerous ballooners

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 67 Posts
Whenever I click on the paperclip and try to upload a pic from my computer's photo files, it just says "failed" and won't upload.

Originally Posted by juvela
If you click on the yellow and black "postcard" icon in the message window you can post photos via the URL; just "copy" and "paste." If a photo fails to load it is most commonly due to too large a file size.

If you click on the paperclip icon you can load photos direct from your computer's HD.

-----

Thank you for sharing your bicycle. We do not get to see many of this marque here on the pacific coast where I live. Have always thought there must be an agent for them in the east.

One thing I noticed was the elaborate routing for the cycle's rear brake cable. It is so much simpler on a mixte to fit a brake bridge to the laterals for a direct line pull and shorter cable length. Alternately, if one wishes to use the seat stay bridge it is possible to have a caliper which pulls from the bottom. Wonder what the thinking was behind this arrangement.

-----
Old 05-07-17, 08:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

-----
Yea, the rear brake is not so good right now. It works but it exhibits its 30 yr age - stiff. I know that after purchasing this one I replaced the brakes, shifter, handle bar, cables, wheels, and tires.

I am torn about selling it or not. I have a Ficelle racer in white as well that is seldom used. I had purchased/sold maybe 30 of this brand bikes back in 1983-84.
Old 05-07-17, 08:34 AM

Yea, the rear brake is not so good right now. It works but it exhibits its 30 yr age - stiff. I know that after purchasing this one I replaced the brakes, shifter, handle bar, cables, wheels, and tires.

I am torn about selling it or not. I have a Ficelle racer in white as well that is seldom used. I had purchased/sold maybe 30 of this brand bikes back in 1983-84.
Wow, 30 is one big number for a not so well known marque. Did MN have an importer for them?

Thanks for the response.

-----
Old 05-07-17, 09:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, 30 is one big number for a not so well known marque. Did MN have an importer for them?

Thanks for the response.

-----
I purchased all of them from Island Cycle in Mpls. Hard to recall all of them. I was probably 14 at the time running a small repair shop out of my parents basement.
Old 05-07-17, 10:10 AM

I purchased all of them from Island Cycle in Mpls. Hard to recall all of them. I was probably 14 at the time running a small repair shop out of my parents basement.
Thank you. I can recall seeing their display adverts in the trade publications of the 1970's. Never had occasion to buy from them. Did some business with QBP.

Operated a home workshop also. It was a full-time thing for about twenty years, ~1970-1990.

-----
Old 05-07-17, 10:29 AM

Bikes: Custom 94 Specialized Crossroads

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks very much for sharing this handsome find. Outstanding condition for ~45 years old. A bit unusual to see a bike with MAFAC brake calipers combined CLB tourist levers. You might wish to consider replacing the Union 40U pedals with a french set which can be serviced. The handgrips look like they may be REG.

Please post once again when you have completed your work.

-----
Thanks. It'll be a while. I have 2 projects in front of it and little time. I'll probably make a new thread for the restoration progress. Can you recommend some replacement cranks that don't cost a lot? One of the cotter bolts has been replaced with a big ugly bolt and I have a hunch the threads are stripped out.
Old 05-07-17, 10:46 AM

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 1,110 Times in 652 Posts
Originally Posted by motogeek
Whenever I click on the paperclip and try to upload a pic from my computer's photo files, it just says "failed" and won't upload.
See which file it uses and find out if the size is too large. That is most likely the problem. I use jpg to upload from my computer and had to go through all my pics and resize them to work.
Old 05-07-17, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by BikeTales
Thanks. It'll be a while. I have 2 projects in front of it and little time. I'll probably make a new thread for the restoration progress. Can you recommend some replacement cranks that don't cost a lot? One of the cotter bolts has been replaced with a big ugly bolt and I have a hunch the threads are stripped out.
The chainset on there is OEM from A. Duprat, Universel brand. "hunch threads are stripped" - which ones? pedal? bottom bracket? other?

For a chainset it would be nice to find a period plausible french alloy cotterless set. While ebay prices can get into the stratosphere there are no shortage of bargain venues. You probably know them all already... Dump, junkyard, yard sale, charity bazaar, thrift store. One many enthusiasts fail to check are the depots operated by the large thrift store chains such as Goodwill, Salvation Army and St. Vincent De Paul. They keep donated items there which are too far gone or too incomplete to send out to the individual stores. Oftimes they will have a yard (or pile!) of tired bikes sitting out in the weather.

Wheels not original. Are thos ACS hubs? Originals would have had Normandy Sport QR hubs and Rigida Super Chromix steel rims.

Please do begin a thread on the bike when she becomes a "front burner" project.

-----
Old 05-08-17, 08:55 AM

Bikes: Custom 94 Specialized Crossroads

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
@juvela

Haven't been to the bike to check on the parts you mentioned. I started a separate thread so we don't hijack this one. I was talking about the replacement cotter bolt-- It may be a random bolt that was forced into the crank arm. Anyway, I just want some cotterless cranks

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...l#post19568171
Old 06-30-17, 06:46 AM
Ron

Bikes: 1988 Schwinn High Sierra, 2006 Montaque Hummer, 2006 Fuji Crosstown 1, 2012 Civilian Corduroy Rebel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rear Center Pull Brake Question

I'm refubrishing a stripped out large Mitata 90 and am working through some unknowns.
- Would there have been a barrel adjustor on the frame? If so I'm "assuming" it's an extra long one with "something" to protect the frame.
- Would the brake have been mounted on top of the bracket, where the manufacture's name would be visible or underneath? I've seen photos of it either way.

Biggest difference that I can see is underneath puts the link cable under the top tubes. Can't see it makes much of a difference to the leverage on the pivot bolt.

I'm sure I come up with more questions, but this is it for now.

TIA

Ron
Old 06-30-17, 07:26 AM
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,559 Posts
Here's a photo of a photo of our old Helium, built by Peugeot. Berseau ("cradle") frame, 650B white tires, wingnuts, 4-speed derailleur. Nice little bike, but we had no use for it and no room to spare. It was given to me, so I gave it to someone else.
Helium.JPG
Old 07-02-17, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 161 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Shiseiji
I'm refubrishing a stripped out large Mitata 90 and am working through some unknowns.

- Would the brake have been mounted on top of the bracket, where the manufacture's name would be visible or underneath? I've seen photos of it either way.

Biggest difference that I can see is underneath puts the link cable under the top tubes. Can't see it makes much of a difference to the leverage on the pivot bolt.

TIA

Ron
Consider the only difference between front & rear brakes is the length of the mounting bolt. And 99% of bikes have them facing opposite ways in terms of wheel rotation direction. So leverage on the bolts (mounting and pivot bolts) is not a factor. Some times heal clearance is a factor on mixtes. You won't see canti levers on very many mixte frames. The sidepull and center pull style just don't stick out as far. I've never seen a mixte (road bike) with u-brakes (mtb) but those would solve clearance issues. I suppose Mixte bikes were pretty much discontinued by the time the u-brake fad came and went. Oh yeah, some older brake shoes are open on on end so if you flip the rear caliper, check the pads so they don't slide out. Label side up is a tad easier to work on.

As to the adjuster. Most mixte bikes do have adjusters on that stop between the two tubes. There were some variants in levers that had adjusters on top of the brake levers. Some deluxe Dia Compe, Mafac, Universal had those on the levers. I worked on may Raleighs & Peugeots but not Miyatas so I couldn't say what a Miyata had.
Old 07-05-17, 12:42 PM
Ron

Bikes: 1988 Schwinn High Sierra, 2006 Montaque Hummer, 2006 Fuji Crosstown 1, 2012 Civilian Corduroy Rebel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Rick. I'll continue my research on length etc. In the mean time, I have a pair of Dia Compe with the flip down brake arm openers, I'm going to give them a try. I'm also going with a pair of MAFAC that have a the ability to customize the length of the bridge cable to get it forward of the seat tube.
Old 08-26-17, 11:40 AM

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 223 Posts
Here is a 70s Torpado. I did a partial re-paint and re assembled with mostly original parts. It's a low end bike but a beauty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Torpado side 1200x.jpg (100.1 KB, 684 views)
Old 09-01-17, 01:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My mixte

Here's before & after, new wheels & tyres and powder coat and loads of polish
Attached Images
IMG_1112.jpg (97.7 KB, 660 views)
DSC_0306.jpg (92.5 KB, 661 views)
Old 09-01-17, 06:05 PM

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 367 Posts
I built up a Raleigh Mixte for my Niece as her Grad School bike (Oregon State my alma mater) it started like this

[IMG]77 Record ltd Drv side profileJPG by Ryan Surface, on Flickr[/IMG]

A stuck stem was solved with amputation and a new Chrome fork.

[IMG]Raleigh record mixte finished by Ryan Surface, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 09-01-17, 10:32 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 45 Posts
That sure is purdy.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 09-02-17, 02:56 PM

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Upright bars, thumb shifters, and a basket - perfect. But that rear fender line? Sorry to be critical.
Old 10-10-17, 09:51 PM
Bike Sorceress

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 72 Posts
I finally have a mixte again, I just acquired this Raleigh Super Record to serve as a winter bike. It was in decent shape to start with, but steel rims and drop bars were not in my plans. I think the fenders came off a Schwinn World Tourist, and are a perfect match for the accents on the frame. Both wheels were destined for the scrap bin, but with enough hammering and truing I made them usable. My future plans involve lacing a new wheelset with a Shimano Nexus 3-speed coaster brake hub and a dynamo hub, cartridge bearing headset and bottom bracket, among other things.

Before:

Current Setup:

Last edited by Arrowana; 10-10-17 at 11:30 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.