Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (III)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (III)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-13, 05:24 PM
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by sstang13
Ya but with rollers you get breaks, but also have to work like a dog first. It's like consecutively switching from 80% to 90% every minute or just doing 85% the whole time. Either way you'd do 85% and have no legs at the end. All it was on my route was rollers: https://connect.garmin.com/activity/284379434

Ps. To rk and TKP, I'm sure it wouldn't be that bad if I brought more than a 150 calorie granola bar on a 2000 calorie buring ride..I don't prepare at all. As for clothing I have everything I need but my toes on both feet are freezing! My rents told me my shoes could be too tight, I'll test that out next time.
Not if you're riding z2 properly.

Also, calories are your friend. No wonder you felt like crap.
Old 03-14-13, 05:37 PM

Bikes: Type of horse.

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1 hr chill riding this afternoon.
Old 03-14-13, 05:44 PM
Riding the bike I love.

Bikes: Marinano Delta

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Not if you're riding z2 properly.

Also, calories are your friend. No wonder you felt like crap.
I can only go by HR on my rides, but for some reason my HR is always like 10-20bpm higher (estimate) than what it would be on the trainer. I'm trying to figure stuff out and work it all out and find what my max is outdoors, but even today I kind of had to go a little quicker to make it home on time so I couldn't take it as easy as I should and usually do. Plus I go hard on the hills and to my dismay there were a LOT on the route I chose today.
Old 03-14-13, 05:57 PM
VeloSIRraptor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
more hours, more fun.
steady this time, by July legs should be decent.
Old 03-14-13, 06:04 PM

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
I can only go by HR on my rides, but for some reason my HR is always like 10-20bpm higher (estimate) than what it would be on the trainer. I'm trying to figure stuff out and work it all out and find what my max is outdoors, but even today I kind of had to go a little quicker to make it home on time so I couldn't take it as easy as I should and usually do. Plus I go hard on the hills and to my dismay there were a LOT on the route I chose today.
You might not be going hard enough on the trainer or you might be dehydrated outdoors. With power, I have the same HR indoors and outdoors, but without power I would definitely not be pushing nearly as hard indoors just because it seems to hurt a lot more and makes me sweat like crazy. My 20 min power outside feels more like 5 min inside, just based on leg feel, but if I concentrate I can get the full 20 mins. Feels more like an hour though and by the end of it I can see steam rising off my arms in the garage and I'm covered with little sweat dew droplets all over.
Old 03-14-13, 06:24 PM
Riding the bike I love.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I did rides on the trainer there were some that called for all out efforts, any workout that I did over the winter, my HR never went over 190, but the moment my tired hit the road its at like 150-160 during an easy warmup, I've never seen it go over 190 when i sprint up hills though, weird stuff
Old 03-14-13, 09:26 PM
soon to be gsteinc...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ps. To rk and TKP, I'm sure it wouldn't be that bad if I brought more than a 150 calorie granola bar on a 2000 calorie buring ride..I don't prepare at all. As for clothing I have everything I need but my toes on both feet are freezing! My rents told me my shoes could be too tight, I'll test that out next time.
Better learn how to be prepared pretty quick if not any progression in the sport will be tough
Old 03-14-13, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got home after a 12 hr day at work and I'm cooked. Have been off the bike this entire week because of a bad cold and working late tonight hasn't helped. I was really hoping to get out for a bit today too. So frustrating. Hopefully tomorrow will be better
Old 03-14-13, 10:05 PM
Riding the bike I love.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rkwaki
Better learn how to be prepared pretty quick if not any progression in the sport will be tough
Ya I'm just too lazy right now, this is my first year of racing and actual being somewhat knowledgable about cycling so I'll come to the realization sooner rather than later
Old 03-15-13, 05:53 AM
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
90 minutes on the TT bike last night. Something was wrong with my legs, very odd.

I'm taking a 3 day weekend, wife and I are going to Orlando this evening and spending tomorrow at the Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow.

I'm currently waiting for it to warm up a little bit before going out this morning -- it is colder here this morning than it is in Denver right now.
Old 03-15-13, 06:18 AM
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
day off.

I'm hesitant to post though as it feels a bit off topic.
Old 03-15-13, 07:31 AM
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2797 Post(s)
Liked 3,387 Times in 1,775 Posts
well fiesta was interesting...

about half way through some dood veered of into the sand, causing himself to endo and causing a wreck including 4+ other riders, which I narrowly missed. There were broken bones and ambulances involved. I really hope the two guys who got taken to the hospital are OK. This is not a good way to start off this ride.

the next two laps consisted of people not knowing whether to continue hammering or soft pedal and chat. I just dialed it up to my LTHR and did a couple hot laps solo.
Old 03-15-13, 11:14 AM
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
75 minute ride, 90 tss. 45 minutes of threshold work somewhere in there. Legs are glad my responsibility tomorrow involves nothing more than walking around some mouse town.
Old 03-15-13, 11:44 AM
VeloSIRraptor

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
looked over today's workout...

good grief.
Old 03-15-13, 12:59 PM
soon to be gsteinc...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
day off.

I'm hesitant to post though as it feels a bit off topic.
Reported...
Old 03-15-13, 02:19 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Openers. Wore my new shoes and fine tuned my cleat position. Going to wear my old shoes in tomorrow's races, of course.
Old 03-15-13, 09:19 PM
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
I rode, it was nice out.

Sprinted downhill a few times, cars held me up (good sign).

my race videos
Old 03-16-13, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2 hrs, some short and steep Albany county climbs. Some of which are part of the Capital Region Road Race I guess. Don't think I'll be racing that.
Old 03-16-13, 12:53 PM
Riding the bike I love.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Missed 2 hours Tuesday, and probably 3 hours today, I've been struggling as I can't go outside on days like today when it ****ing snowing in mid march ! and its hard to do it inside, im just soo busy with crap. I have 2 hours tomorrow but could possibly turn that into 3. All rides are just endurance paced.

How do you guys handle missing training like this? It's not just one ride. But will missing these few rides of 2-3 hours of endurance hurt me a lot? I have my first race in 13 days and have trained my butt off like crazy for it, I have seen great improvements as of 2 weeks ago, but will missing these rides have a significant impact on me?
Old 03-16-13, 01:37 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rode in 75 degree weather today. Got stuck in traffic while riding. im also working on my waterrocket levels nearly to his level
Old 03-16-13, 01:38 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Missed 2 hours Tuesday, and probably 3 hours today, I've been struggling as I can't go outside on days like today when it ****ing snowing in mid march ! and its hard to do it inside, im just soo busy with crap. I have 2 hours tomorrow but could possibly turn that into 3. All rides are just endurance paced.

How do you guys handle missing training like this? It's not just one ride. But will missing these few rides of 2-3 hours of endurance hurt me a lot? I have my first race in 13 days and have trained my butt off like crazy for it, I have seen great improvements as of 2 weeks ago, but will missing these rides have a significant impact on me?
just learn to not fret over missing training. Life happens, and missing 2 workouts isn't going to kill you (hell missing a month has set me back maybe one step of a 15 step staircase). just breath and relax. The only time that missing workouts really effects you is when you first, are at your absolute peak, or when you're a pro riding 6 hours a day.
Old 03-16-13, 01:41 PM
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts

Sounds like your season is over. Hey, you tried.
Old 03-16-13, 01:45 PM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
sounds like your season is over. Hey, you tried.
lol.
Old 03-16-13, 02:42 PM

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do you guys handle missing training like this?
This is my first season of racing too. (Road bike that is.) I understand the feeling. I built up a humongous base over the fall (18 hour weeks on the bike plus about 2.5 hours swimming) getting prepped for the spring season here(as a lowly 5!).

Come mid-January, I get sick, relationship on the rocks and ends, injury, weight gain, etc. Basically 1.5 months of no real structured training. Sure I was racing but not putting in the hours.

The way I look at it is that I am in this for the long haul. There will be ups and downs but I started way too late in my life to worry about going Cat1 or anything like that. I am having fun and for me I race so that I can ride faster first and foremost, if I win one great and I’ll puke trying to.

At the end of the day, i still have a day job that I love and am much better at than racing.

Oh and I crashed today. Not bad at all though.
Old 03-16-13, 02:44 PM
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts

If you had that time blocked out for riding outside, you could've used it - or part of it - for training inside. That "crap" you had put off could've waited.

Two-three hours at endurance pace is just this side of torture on a trainer. Given that any time on the bike is better than time off the bike in terms of maintaining fitness, mix stuff up. Example: Warm up at an endurance pace for a while, do a set of fast pedal drills (110-120 rpm, 30-60 seconds, same time RBI) at low resistance, go back to endurance pace for a while, do a 3x8' set of strength drills (tallest gear you have, 55-60 rpm) with four minutes RBI, back to endurance pace for a while, then maybe a longer tempo interval, then go into a warmdown. Whatever workout you come up with, write it down on masking tape with a Sharpie and stick it on your top tube so you have a reference and can keep yourself honest. Then make sure you record it in your training diary, either hard copy or online.

You owe me a beer.

Demain, on roule!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.