Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-17, 03:21 PM
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
I honestly thought that any time Fiesta was mentioned that it was in reference to Zwift. It's a real place?! My life is a lie.
literal lol

my race videos
Old 04-04-17, 06:58 AM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 431 Posts
I'll admit that I actually looked up Fiesta Island on google a few weeks ago because I wasn't sure if it was a real place.
Old 04-04-17, 10:07 AM

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Ha I did the same!
Old 04-04-17, 12:26 PM
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2708 Post(s)
Liked 3,273 Times in 1,715 Posts
It's been three hours since I finished my workout and I still feel like I got punched in the stomach
Old 04-04-17, 04:09 PM

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Anthem, Felt CX

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Current training status: tired.
I would post here more often but my computer and work tablet hate this site (it crashes almost every time).
Anyone going to be at Tour of the Gila this year?
Old 04-04-17, 04:22 PM

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
I honestly thought that any time Fiesta was mentioned that it was in reference to Zwift. It's a real place?! My life is a lie.
My wife and Puppy same day on Fiesta Island
DebraStraighFiestaTT.jpg

Danielfiesta.jpg

Last year after rowing you can get a good view of the other side of the island (13 years later)

Last edited by Doge; 04-04-17 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-04-17, 10:39 PM
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Still feeling sick, but getting much better. The dr. gave me some of the stuff that always works for me. Pseudoephridine. 2 tabs a days means my body feels good. Took it really easy today on the rollers with no goals or intervals. Just wanted to move and sweat today. I hate taking days off like I did yesterday. I'd rather do a junk hour to get my mind right than nothing.

Taking my bike to the shop I worked for back in High school tomorrow. Going to get the dent checked out and get an assessment of the whole thing. Still need to figure out what bike I'm racing on this weekend.
Old 04-04-17, 11:56 PM

Did the park sprintervals ride after work, really good sprint practice/anaerobic intervals. We do 6 sprints and I went for 2 of them (I like to move up and be prepared as practice for all of them, but just can't physically go for more than 2). Got 2nd on the 2nd lap, but couldn't catch a guy that went early and gapped the rest of the sprinters. Also went for the final sprint, had a good position but the pain made my brain tell my legs to wait too long and ended up a couple lengths back from the top 2 going head to head. This is definitely the best group ride Ive done for actual training. Close, to the point, practice various speed sprints, positioning, and intervals.

Gonna take most of the day off work tomorrow, get a slightly longer ride in and study for a professional exam I'm taking on Thursday.
Old 04-05-17, 07:40 AM
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Holy balls I feel 99% normal, legs/breathing/well-rested etc. This is like the first time in a month! So happy!
Old 04-05-17, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
yay finally did my 4*10s all above 300w (had some data dropout issues so the first few show up lower on strava but I SWEAR IT'S LEGIT).
Old 04-05-17, 12:59 PM
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2708 Post(s)
Liked 3,273 Times in 1,715 Posts
nice @mike868y that's solid power at your size.
Old 04-05-17, 01:02 PM
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd have trouble doing that.
Old 04-05-17, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thanks! 10' is basically the only duration i'm somewhat good at (also, using a stages so maybe this is fake news??). the delta between my 10' PR and my 1' PR is <150w.

Last edited by mike868y; 04-05-17 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-05-17, 03:13 PM
once a runner

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
work is being lame right now because my manager has given me extra responsibilities which impact my ability to ride for multiple hours whenever i want. i'm trying to get back into my 'morning ride' routine but im spoiled from months of being able to sleep in and wait for the temperature to get above 70F. managed to get up and ride this morning (but had to wear arm warmers! in april! oh, the humanity!) - 1:00 hard (~120%) 2:00 recover (but uphill, so between 70-100% usually).

1' on/2' off seems to be my preferred way of doing workouts on climbs these days. i used to like 1'/1' but i never hit the 1' hard enough to create enough variance.
Old 04-05-17, 03:52 PM

All my threshold work for the past month has been 10-15 minute duration intervals hovering around 100%
Realized I haven't done long threshold efforts, or long rides with threshold, or long pure tempo rides in a good long while so... went out and did 4:15 with a 54' climb and 2x15 after 3 hours.
Old 04-05-17, 06:38 PM
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice fast group ride with TKP and a few others. Including a couple of buddies who are doing their first road race on Saturday. They're both plenty strong, definitely stronger than me, I'm curious to see how they do.
Old 04-05-17, 07:25 PM
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Currently, Fiesta Island is an island in the middle of Mission Bay. It has a public road that circles the island and has one way car and other traffic. As such, it is a public road and venue.

Time trials are held on the island and the City of San Diego closes the road to traffic and removes any vehicles that are on the island. There are signs posted for a week announcing the event and closing the island for the racing.

So the racers have the island to ourselves for several hours in the morning.

What I think is going to happen is the City of San Diego made a deal with private investors to develop the island is some manner that includes a bike path. So it will no longer be a public road under the control of the city. And it is unknown (by me) what the bike path will be and what, if any, rules posted.

The race promoter thinks it will end the racing on Fiesta Island.

I train on Fiesta during the week when it is not closed to traffic. In general, it is okay but many times cars can be unpredictable and turn off the road or slow suddenly. And riding with traffic, one has to be aware of this. On occasion, I will shut down an effort to anticipate that a car may slow and etc but it is no big deal.

Possibly, the new bike path may offer a better way to do efforts without shutting down for cars and dealing with the car traffic. Or it is worse due to dogs, pedestrians, skateboards, hover boards and etc.
I sometimes drive down Sat am to ride my openers on the course before Sunday's TT. I've been pretty ok with the safety of Fiesta when the road is open to traffic.

However during race time, it really can't be beat. Closed road and you can really race. Unlike say Santiago Canyon where you have to worry about getting sucked into the vacuum created by a passing truck.

With Santiago going away, we're only left with Piru & Fiesta as the regularly scheduled SoCal TTs. It would really be a shame for Fiesta to disappear, it's not like it's poorly attended. Hopefully someone will talk sense into the city of San Diego. Maybe we should start a letter writing campaign.
Old 04-05-17, 07:52 PM

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never do intervals in the AM since I figured I'm a PM person, but yesterday for some reason, I decided to do some 4x4AM intervals on my AM commute. Being a bit dark I din't see some gravel at a corner and my front wheel slid and I crashed hard on the tarmac, breaking my left collarbone and 3 ribs. This is after getting to ER and 25 something X rays. Oh well, there goes 8 weeks of forced break. Challenge will be not getting fat
Old 04-05-17, 07:58 PM

On the topic of training, and my last post with regards to longer training sessions (not just zone 2 base rides).

What are the collective your thoughts on long sessions? I asked a similar question about how often to train crazy/all out/destruction hard, now I'm wondering the same thing about long sessions.

1) how often are they necessary?
In the off season I try to do one or 2 big rides per weekend, but not necessarily climbing/threshold training. In season I notice I race too much and unless the race is Saturday with nothing on Sunday, I tend to neglect the long stuff. Road racing may be different - no really long sustained high steady power efforts (at least not unless I get in a break).

2) how long is "long"?
My typical training this year is between 2 to 3 hours total with to/from, maybe 0.85 IF. Able to do this a few days in a row - it doesn't wreck my legs/later in the day I might not notice the fatigue. But somehow the jump from 3 to 4 hours and, while I may feel great finishing the ride, the legs remember the rest of the day. Can one possibly build up to such a high mileage in base that that short/long threshold moves out to like 4.5 hours? (Not like I have that kind of time, just thinking that would be a super useful ability in a p12 road race.)

3) are the long sessions tempo/sweet spot/threshold, or do you like to throw in a late-ride anaerobic set to really eff with yourself/prepare for road racing? I like the focus of long climbs on these rides, but a series of surges (like Ridgecrest road on Mount tam) later in a ride is such pain, and may be useful to try and train up mid-build once some non-pathetic level of anaerobic repeatability is reached on shorter rides.

Sorry/not sorry for the long post, this is an interesting topic for the current phase of my bike racing hobby! (And why in the hell does it take 3 years to even start to understand ones own body as it relates to training???)
Old 04-05-17, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by TexMac
I never do intervals in the AM since I figured I'm a PM person, but yesterday for some reason, I decided to do some 4x4AM intervals on my AM commute. Being a bit dark I din't see some gravel at a corner and my front wheel slid and I crashed hard on the tarmac, breaking my left collarbone and 3 ribs. This is after getting to ER and 25 something X rays. Oh well, there goes 8 weeks of forced break. Challenge will be not getting fat
Damn that sucks! And to not even have a sketchy peloton to blame! When I broke my collarbone I was solo also - but even more my own fault, was lazy about installing new cleats.
Old 04-05-17, 09:01 PM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TexMac
Oh crap, that sucks! Sorry to hear it, hope you heal up soon.
Old 04-06-17, 12:58 AM
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Another day off the bike today. Mainly because I had to bring the dented frame to the shop. Hopefully I get a ride in tomorrow. Feeling a bit less sick. Will probably result in just an easy day again tomorrow inside. Our weekly crit series starts tomorrow and as much as I want to go, I know I should stay out of the rain and cold what with racing coming up again this weekend. Took 2 doses of antibiotic today (had some left over from an acne prescription). Usually I don't need much to kick over a sinus infection which I'm pretty sure I have now despite what the doctor said. We'll see. Won't take it on Friday to attempt to avoid the negative affects come race weekend.
Old 04-06-17, 07:51 AM

My coach pointed out yesterday that WKO is now estimating my FTP about 50w higher than at then end of last season. The WKO estimate had been about 30w lower than where I tested too.

I haven't done a true FTP test in some time, due in large part to weather, training load, and other life issues, but I'm going to try to get on in soon.
Old 04-06-17, 08:08 AM
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
On the topic of training, and my last post with regards to longer training sessions (not just zone 2 base rides).

What are the collective your thoughts on long sessions? I asked a similar question about how often to train crazy/all out/destruction hard, now I'm wondering the same thing about long sessions.

1) how often are they necessary?
In the off season I try to do one or 2 big rides per weekend, but not necessarily climbing/threshold training. In season I notice I race too much and unless the race is Saturday with nothing on Sunday, I tend to neglect the long stuff. Road racing may be different - no really long sustained high steady power efforts (at least not unless I get in a break).

2) how long is "long"?
My typical training this year is between 2 to 3 hours total with to/from, maybe 0.85 IF. Able to do this a few days in a row - it doesn't wreck my legs/later in the day I might not notice the fatigue. But somehow the jump from 3 to 4 hours and, while I may feel great finishing the ride, the legs remember the rest of the day. Can one possibly build up to such a high mileage in base that that short/long threshold moves out to like 4.5 hours? (Not like I have that kind of time, just thinking that would be a super useful ability in a p12 road race.)

3) are the long sessions tempo/sweet spot/threshold, or do you like to throw in a late-ride anaerobic set to really eff with yourself/prepare for road racing? I like the focus of long climbs on these rides, but a series of surges (like Ridgecrest road on Mount tam) later in a ride is such pain, and may be useful to try and train up mid-build once some non-pathetic level of anaerobic repeatability is reached on shorter rides.

Sorry/not sorry for the long post, this is an interesting topic for the current phase of my bike racing hobby! (And why in the hell does it take 3 years to even start to understand ones own body as it relates to training???)
1) Long sessions you mean volume yea? IMO volume isn't exactly a bad thing provided you stick to low level tourist watts. Like high z1 low z2 stuff. I'll spin around at like 190 for 4hrs and it's fine. You're just looking to maintain fitness, not gain fitness. Easy watts do that; whoever coined the term "junk miles" is full of ****. Unless you're doing that during base, then yeah...it won't work for what you are trying to do. But I'll probably do something like that 2x/wk on top of the race. If race is Sunday I'll do the long volume thing on Monday and tack on some miles to the front end of a group ride on Wednesday. If race is Saturday I'd do the chill volume on Sunday. Again tho it's just maintaining the work you've already done, not really generating a ton of TSS, because you're focused mostly on being fresh for the next race.

2) You should be able to do long rides in z2 day after day after day. If you're having trouble doing that you're probably riding above your actual z2, or you have nutrition issues. .85 is long breakaway efforty, 2-3hrs is enough to fry you. Like to do that I'm doing 300W, and I know I can hold that for that long but it honestly feels terrible towards the end, and doing that multiple days in a row flattens you out and makes recovery really tough. As far as interval days go, I'm given lots of vo2 + volume during build, so like I'll be told to get in 30-35min in a 2hr stretch in 3-5min intervals, and then do tourist watts for a few hours afterward. So a vo2 day may wind up being 4-5hrs. If I'm crunched for time or it is gross out I simply cut out the z1/2 spin part because it's not absolutely necessary, but it helps. So a shorter normal vo2 sesh is like 2.75-3hrs. A normal over/under sesh is like 3-4hrs. If I'm given say, 4x20 tempo I do that over a 5hr ride and pedal at like 180w between. In race season you err on the side of caution because you want to be fresh for the weekend, so watts are lower between races as the focus is on maintaining rather than gainz.

3) Do you mean do intervals over the course of a 4-5hr ride? If so see above. You basically get your work done and then dawdle around in z1/2. It feels like you're not working while you are doing it but it is enough to maintain what you built over the off season, and a race counts as a legit workout. Do you mean like a solid 3-4hr block of tempo? That takes a ton out of you and is stuff I typically reserve for the fall silly season or for when I know I have a rest period coming up.
Old 04-06-17, 08:59 AM

I don't keep tabs on everyone's training efforts, but Aaron, I get the impression from your posts that you hammer it all the time. And it seems like there is really no rhyme or reason to your training. So far, it hasn't held you back, as you have been able to do well in racing. But it seems like now you are a 2, you maybe have hit the point where you're no longer stronger than your competition and having a more focused training plan might help.

Like I said, I don't keep track of what everyone is doing, so I could be completely wrong, but that is the general impression I have of your overall training.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.