Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

So are the days of our lives...

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

So are the days of our lives...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-16, 07:13 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I have a Kindle but hardly use it. I still prefer paper books. Mostly because they don't break when I fall asleep and drop them on the floor next to the bed.
Old 01-06-16, 07:15 PM
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
funny. I literally just got in the mail a book I had printed. It's freely available as a PDF, but print copies are hard to come by. My wife edited the seven volumes into one, added a TOC and we had it printed. I like paper.

Old 01-06-16, 08:08 PM

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I have a Kindle but hardly use it. I still prefer paper books. Mostly because they don't break when I fall asleep and drop them on the floor next to the bed.
I broke 2 Kindles in Afghanistan doing exactly this. I dropped one, and rolled over onto one in my sleep. Done. Dead.
Old 01-06-16, 08:15 PM
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Kindle app on iPad for me - enjoying "The Sea Wolf" right now.

I'm a really slow reader though, unlike my gf who reads a book every few days.

my race videos
Old 01-06-16, 08:43 PM
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
I think the Kindle is good for me for a couple reasons. I'm lazy, first of all, so clicking a button and having a new book immediately is kind of nice. I'm also extremely cheap, so the Kindle versions being cheap or free is nice. The only downside is sometimes the formatting or text is off, in a way that I assume isn't in a print book.

The degree symbol in some books isn't displayed right, there's typos that are clearly from machine reading a physical book and nobody checking it.
Old 01-06-16, 08:44 PM
No matches

Originally Posted by gsteinb
funny. I literally just got in the mail a book I had printed. It's freely available as a PDF, but print copies are hard to come by. My wife edited the seven volumes into one, added a TOC and we had it printed. I like paper.

That's a beautiful bookshelf.

Sorry if it doesn't auto merge these, I'm on my phone, multi quote is hard enough on the laptop.
Old 01-06-16, 10:01 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
No knock on you but I loathe bookshelves. Feel like clutter to me and who needs to own books? I guess people re-read the same ones? I have never done that.

I will regret it if the modern world comes to an end though.
Old 01-07-16, 12:31 AM

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
The degree symbol in some books isn't displayed right, there's typos that are clearly from machine reading a physical book and nobody checking it.
perfect case for crowd-sourcing this type of editing.
Old 01-07-16, 04:58 AM
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by Ygduf
No knock on you but I loathe bookshelves. Feel like clutter to me and who needs to own books? I guess people re-read the same ones? I have never done that.

I will regret it if the modern world comes to an end though.
None taken.

I actually have loads of stuff I reuse for reference, and a lot of those books date back 25 years or so. I did recently sell off about 1/2 my books, which were ones I didn't really think I'd read again, or were readily available in a library. I do get most of my fun personal reading from the library.

Last edited by gsteinb; 01-07-16 at 06:47 AM.
Old 01-07-16, 04:58 AM
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by Flatballer
That's a beautiful bookshelf.

Sorry if it doesn't auto merge these, I'm on my phone, multi quote is hard enough on the laptop.
thanks
Old 01-07-16, 06:42 AM
No matches

Originally Posted by tetonrider
perfect case for crowd-sourcing this type of editing.
Definitely. There is a way to report an error, but the interface is clunky and I have no idea if anyone actually checks it, let alone fixes it.
Old 01-07-16, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8326 Post(s)
Liked 9,137 Times in 4,515 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
listening to Cream right now, getting ready for a short ride b4 work:

/music status
I still have my original copy of Disraeli Gears which I bought when I was about 15. I also have Wheels of Fire somewhere under Mrs. John's piles of stuff.
I remember riding my 3 speed to buy Electric Ladyland when it came out. I cut weeds to earn money for that. I think it was the first paper money I ever had.
Despite my disdain for 'classic rock', I think the late 60s and early 70s was an exciting time for music.
I remember how I couldn't wait for the next Hendrix or Cream album to come out. Also loved Jeff Beck and the Mothers of Invention, who I saw at Pauly Pavillion in 1971 whe they recorded "Just another band from L.A."
Old 01-07-16, 08:41 AM
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Many of us are used to reading stuff written on phones and tablets where writers ignore errors and expect the reader to mentally correct the writer's mistakes. I have to wonder if that is a factor in typos in electronic books. I remember when spellcheck came out in the 90s and so-called "editors" used it as final QC for magazine articles; words that were spelled correctly but made no sense in context made it in to national publications.

Demain, on roule!
Old 01-07-16, 09:15 AM
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2692 Post(s)
Liked 3,231 Times in 1,702 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I think the late 60s and early 70s was an exciting time for music.
Agreed. Much of the jazz I listen to is labelled as "fusion" and is from that era.
Old 01-07-16, 10:42 AM

Bikes: road and track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had two wisdom teeth pulled today. Oral surgeon pulled the top ones as one was pushing down on some muscles causing a lot of discomfort. Have to schedule to have the two bottom ones pulled some time in the near future. Not in a lot of pain yet, but surprisingly there's almost no swelling.

When the bottom teeth come out, it may be significantly worse
Old 01-08-16, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
2 funerals and 1 memorial this week. Rudy Giuliani (sp?) spoke at the memorial for the coworkers that were shot last month, and it was a pretty moving speech that came from the heart and didn't come off as a carefree political plug like every other speech about the incident.

Both funerals were old in laws that were on their last legs, and the relatives that traveled here visited Disneyland afterwards...such grief

At our grandma in laws funeral, it would have been interesting if there was a Zombie Apocalypse. Since it was in the same cemetery as Micheal Jackson, I would be curious if the Zombies would be as coordinated dancing as the music video, and where would the music come from?
Old 01-08-16, 11:36 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I am sorry for your loss. And note that this is an amazing post.
Old 01-08-16, 08:10 PM

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Facebook folks will have seen this.

My A1C (blood sugar bound to hemoglobin, apparently) was 6.5%, i.e. diabetic. Glucose was 89, super high normal (90 is the cut off). I definitely fasted before the test.

Combined it indicates I'm pre-diabetic and headed in the diabetes direction if I don't do something.
So now carbs are out. Proteins and fats are in.

I still have to learn about this whole thing. I don't want to become diabetic.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 01-08-16, 08:42 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
carbs out or sugar out? GI index matters, yea?
Old 01-08-16, 08:54 PM
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by furiousferret
2 funerals and 1 memorial this week. Rudy Giuliani (sp?) spoke at the memorial for the coworkers that were shot last month, and it was a pretty moving speech that came from the heart and didn't come off as a carefree political plug like every other speech about the incident.

I apologize for prying but... they were your coworkers? The San Bernardino shooting was at your workplace?!

Regardless of the answer and however many degrees of separation it was, I am sorry for your loss, in whatever connection brought you to the memorial.
Old 01-08-16, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
I apologize for prying but... they were your coworkers? The San Bernardino shooting was at your workplace?!

Regardless of the answer and however many degrees of separation it was, I am sorry for your loss, in whatever connection brought you to the memorial.
Yes and no. They're in a different department and building, but I've met a few that were attending. I don't know any of the victims but one of the people in my office was married to one of the victims.
Old 01-09-16, 06:50 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
carbs out or sugar out? GI index matters, yea?

For me, im not sure it does very much, or at least as much as they want you to believe. Or may it varies from person to person..

Sometimes I can eat something and my sugar will spike, other times it wont for the same food. It can be a tricky balance of knowing when to eat what.

I used to eat oatmeal for breakfast (not that instant crap) and would be fine all day with my sugar. Then one day its like a switch was flipped and the same oatmeal I ate will now spike my sugar after an hour or so. And this is with nothing sweet added to it.

Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Facebook folks will have seen this.

My A1C (blood sugar bound to hemoglobin, apparently) was 6.5%, i.e. diabetic. Glucose was 89, super high normal (90 is the cut off). I definitely fasted before the test.

Combined it indicates I'm pre-diabetic and headed in the diabetes direction if I don't do something.
So now carbs are out. Proteins and fats are in.

I still have to learn about this whole thing. I don't want to become diabetic.
It took me a while to adapt to it, but I can now have minimal carbs for breakfast (how much is in plain coffee creamer) and be fine for 4-5 hours..mostly just protein and fat. Protein will leave you feeling fuller longer than carbs will.

Maybe they changed it, but I always thought a fasted glucose reading of under 100 was considered "normal" for non diabetics.

Hopefully you can reverse it and not have to go down that path. Yes, it sucks..but once you adapt to the diet it really isn't too difficult (but ive also been diabetic for 15 years and was diagnosed at a young age, so obviously ymmv in this case...)

My last a1c was 7.1, and ive seen it as high as 9. Im trying to get into the 6.xx range.
Old 01-09-16, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8326 Post(s)
Liked 9,137 Times in 4,515 Posts
At our grandma in laws funeral, it would have been interesting if there was a Zombie Apocalypse. Since it was in the same cemetery as Micheal Jackson, I would be curious if the Zombies would be as coordinated dancing as the music video, and where would the music come from?
Of course they would be coordinated and of course there would be music. What were you thinking?

Sorry for your losses, btw. Just found out a friend who I haven't seen in 2 years has lost his wife. We used to ride together when I lived near them. She was something special. Haven't been able to summon the courage to call him yet.
Old 01-09-16, 10:20 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Hard week ff. Really sorry for your loss.
Old 01-09-16, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 618 Posts
Yes and no. They're in a different department and building, but I've met a few that were attending. I don't know any of the victims but one of the people in my office was married to one of the victims.
Sorry.
I'll never get our tragedy out of my mind. Heartbeaking to think about.
And then time to time come across Internet trolls saying it was a faked government conspiracy. F them.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.