Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The most effective anti-aging workout, backed by science...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The most effective anti-aging workout, backed by science...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-20, 09:20 AM

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by burritos
This I do, unless going to work, then the water flush is on work's dime.
Boss gets a dollar, I get a dime, so I poop on company time!
Old 09-04-20, 02:47 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
So when I'm climbing a hill with 10-15% grade at a snail's pace with sweat just pouring down like a faucet and HR is around 160-180(cause you can count it in your eardrums), this isn't high intensity? You're right, I'm not collapsing but when I first started biking, I did feel like vomiting when I would reach the top of the hill.

You keep missing the "interval" part in HIIT. No one's saying a hill climb can't be intense, it's just not HIIT. The whole point is a series of bursts of absolutely unsustainable levels of energy.
Old 09-04-20, 03:21 PM

Bikes: 2021 Polygon Siskiu D7, 2008 Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
You keep missing the "interval" part in HIIT. No one's saying a hill climb can't be intense, it's just not HIIT. The whole point is a series of bursts of absolutely unsustainable levels of energy.
I get it. Exertion to the point of collapse. It's a level that's unsustainable. That's why you stop, hence making it an "interval". For any individual this level(heart rate specific) may be different. I conflated this with climbing hills. But most cyclists don't collapse with maximal exertion cause they can also let up and maintain a minimal level of forward progress. But you can maintain a high heart rate even though the physical output is objectively low. So if you climb a at 2 mph, it's sustainable, and you're not crushing any records, but you can experience a high HR that makes it HIT'ish without necessitating the interval rests. I think this would grossly have the same physiologic benefits, though no doubt HIIT is a more efficient way of achieving this adaptation.

I used to be a mountain biker 99.9% of the time. Now I'm road cycling since COVID. Been doing long road hills that I've never done. I'm not training, just doing it. Occasionally I return to my mountain biking. I don't feel any stronger and still feel spent on my MTBing hills. But per strava, I'm PRing hills that I haven't PR'd in over a decade even though I'm doing HIT as opposed to HIIT.
Old 09-04-20, 04:20 PM
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,489 Times in 1,286 Posts

And this is why I don't have any interest in doing it. Sounds like about as much fun as a surgical procedure, and my entire reason for preferring cycling to other forms of working out is because cycling is fun.

YMMV--if you find HIIT cycling fun or you don't hate it, I'm not going to argue with you.
It's true, HIIT isn't fun at all, it's hard and demanding, anybody who says that they enjoy HIIT and find it pleasurable is a liar...Pro athletes don't do HIIT for fun and enjoyment, they use HIIT as a tool to improve their performance.
Old 09-04-20, 07:05 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I get it. Exertion to the point of collapse. It's a level that's unsustainable. That's why you stop, hence making it an "interval". For any individual this level(heart rate specific) may be different. I conflated this with climbing hills. But most cyclists don't collapse with maximal exertion cause they can also let up and maintain a minimal level of forward progress. But you can maintain a high heart rate even though the physical output is objectively low. So if you climb a at 2 mph, it's sustainable, and you're not crushing any records, but you can experience a high HR that makes it HIT'ish without necessitating the interval rests. I think this would grossly have the same physiologic benefits, though no doubt HIIT is a more efficient way of achieving this adaptation.

I used to be a mountain biker 99.9% of the time. Now I'm road cycling since COVID. Been doing long road hills that I've never done. I'm not training, just doing it. Occasionally I return to my mountain biking. I don't feel any stronger and still feel spent on my MTBing hills. But per strava, I'm PRing hills that I haven't PR'd in over a decade even though I'm doing HIT as opposed to HIIT.
As a general rule, the more I ride, the faster I get. Speeds that aren't sustainable in the early spring are, by this time of year, easy as pie for me. I don't train, I just ride hard, but because I'm having fun, I do a lot of it. I figure my telomeres will sort themselves out.
Old 09-05-20, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do i utilize a resistance level properly?
Old 09-05-20, 10:51 AM

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda S6 frameset, custom build (road). 1995 Dawes Genesis Reynolds 531 Competition frameset, custom build (road). 1996 Orange C16R frameset, custom build (retro MTB). Coyote Dual hard-tail, custom build (MTB).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 55 Posts
Turbo training tips — get the most from your home trainer

Originally Posted by ericmmoore
How do i utilize a resistance level properly?
A few helpful links.

https://road.cc/content/feature/turb...trainer-215493

Old 09-05-20, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the video
Old 09-05-20, 06:11 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by wolfchild
It's true, HIIT isn't fun at all, it's hard and demanding, anybody who says that they enjoy HIIT and find it pleasurable is a liar...Pro athletes don't do HIIT for fun and enjoyment, they use HIIT as a tool to improve their performance.
That's why I said "or don't hate it.". I think you're missing a major reason some people do HIIT, it's not training for something else, it's a shortcut fitness program for people who want to put in as little time as possible.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-05-20, 06:43 PM
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,489 Times in 1,286 Posts
That's why I said "or don't hate it.". I think you're missing a major reason some people do HIIT, it's not training for something else, it's a shortcut fitness program for people who want to put in as little time as possible.
There are no short cuts to fitness....Anybody who uses HIIT as a short cut to fitness is doing it wrong. People should be using a lower intensity exercise program to build their aerobic base first and then maybe supplement their fitness program with a little bit of HIIT.....HIIT is not some magic bullet to fitness as some personal trainers would like you to believe.
Old 09-06-20, 03:55 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by wolfchild
There are no short cuts to fitness....Anybody who uses HIIT as a short cut to fitness is doing it wrong. People should be using a lower intensity exercise program to build their aerobic base first and then maybe supplement their fitness program with a little bit of HIIT.....HIIT is not some magic bullet to fitness as some personal trainers would like you to believe.
I'm not in the business of telling other people what they should do. I generally don't trust anyone who is, especially "personal trainers". Fitness means different things to different people, so if people are hitting their own goals using only HIIT, I don't think you or I are in any position to tell them they're doing it wrong.
Also, other people may have time pressures that make doing what you're describing basically impractical for them.

Last edited by livedarklions; 09-06-20 at 04:02 AM.
Old 09-07-20, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury
...On "island life". Let's examine the Polynessians. They weren't always fat and diabetic like they are today. Once they came in contact with the West, it's now fast food culture. Many of these islanders are exactly your model of great metabolic health.
But it really is a big leap to jump to the conclusion that it's a diet problem. I could be - but there's so many other possibilities.

- exercise - people used to walk around all day then technology changed them to sitting all day - cars, offices, tractors - same thing happened here in the US where farmers used to be stereotypically skinny before machinery but after machinery became stereotypically fat and out of shape
- stress and work - jobs used to be fairly repetitive...again technology changed that from repetitive things you do with things-you-see-in-front-of-you to conceptualized and ever changing things, or repetitive customer service type work with things you don't own - you lose the feeling of ownership and accomplishment that you used to have when your work produced results that were yours and right in front of you
- stress and socialization - we're social creatures, just in my grandparents generation they used to talk chat have family get togethers - but then (again) technology moved us into doing things differently where we don't have automatic socialization as part of your daily life any more, I still have older relatives that I can watch play this "oh, I don't want to get together with people!"...then there's this little grin where they expect people to show up anyways like they grew up thinking would happen, but things changed to where you can almost entirely self isolate very by default
- diet - it's one of the possibilities, just not the only one, or in my opinion even likely to be the most likely one

Originally Posted by aclinjury
Unfortunately, in nutritional science, there isn't many high quality prospective studies due to the difficulty and time need to conduct prospective studies. But this doesn't mean we should say "correlation isn't causation" and discount observations either.
Yeah, but when what I run into is someone telling me I need to go across town to get some specialized food - something that means I'm doing that rather than exercise, socializing, or do mentally relaxing things - I find myself in a different dilema.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 09-07-20 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-10-20, 10:41 AM

Bikes: 2021 Polygon Siskiu D7, 2008 Lemond Tourmalet

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
But it really is a big leap to jump to the conclusion that it's a diet problem. I could be - but there's so many other possibilities.

- exercise - people used to walk around all day then technology changed them to sitting all day - cars, offices, tractors - same thing happened here in the US where farmers used to be stereotypically skinny before machinery but after machinery became stereotypically fat and out of shape
- stress and work - jobs used to be fairly repetitive...again technology changed that from repetitive things you do with things-you-see-in-front-of-you to conceptualized and ever changing things, or repetitive customer service type work with things you don't own - you lose the feeling of ownership and accomplishment that you used to have when your work produced results that were yours and right in front of you
- stress and socialization - we're social creatures, just in my grandparents generation they used to talk chat have family get togethers - but then (again) technology moved us into doing things differently where we don't have automatic socialization as part of your daily life any more, I still have older relatives that I can watch play this "oh, I don't want to get together with people!"...then there's this little grin where they expect people to show up anyways like they grew up thinking would happen, but things changed to where you can almost entirely self isolate very by default
- diet - it's one of the possibilities, just not the only one, or in my opinion even likely to be the most likely one
Poor metabolic health is very complex and all the factors do not always contribute equally as "no one size fits all." That being said, I liken chronic poor health as a smoldering fire. When you are crashing(ie being hospitalized) and are actively dying this is the smoldering fire that is raging into an inferno. We want the firemen(the medical system) to put out these fire when they are smoldering and especially when they are raging. But as individuals outside the medical sphere, we have levers we can pull. Reducing processed carbs(eating less) is like bringing down the temperature. Reducing insulin is like reducing wind(eating infrequently, fasting). Exercising is like bringing in the marine layer. Reducing stress and getting good sleep is like weed abatement. Phoscheck is like chemotherapy(expensive and often times too late).