Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVII

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVII

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-20, 09:07 AM
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I am sure they are good, but I wonder if they are much different from the 4000s. I suspect any difference is modest.
I thought at first they were slower. Then I modified to same as. They are as good as 4000 sII's were.
They wont dissapoint.
Old 02-03-20, 09:09 AM
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22609 Post(s)
Liked 8,932 Times in 4,164 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I'm seriously thinking about it. Are you suggesting reporting close passers or just having video for the cops and lawyers if I get hit again?
Another consideration is a Varia radar. My friend who lives in DC (and also commutes) has one and likes it. If I lived in an urban area with lots of cars I would definitely get one.
Old 02-03-20, 09:09 AM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
After being rear ended, I find it hard to believe you don't have a camera back there. Don't tell me it's because you don't have the money. Don't tell me you don't know better-you do brain ****.

Wednedsday, Thursday, Friday.... You should have all this on tape, plate number, and the militia's biggest pita.
You've got cameras front and back, don't you? Since I have a Varia out back, I've been thinking about a camera for the front, for documentation of both the fun and the not-so-fun varieties. But then I think about the practicality of a front only for the not-so-fun use cases. I'm thinking that it would be great for close passes, but might be useless in the event of an actual hit. Any thoughts along those lines?
Old 02-03-20, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD
For the acoustics I’m willing to do that, but then I have to listen to all that bs melodrama that drives me crazy.
In this case, I'm in it more for the big visuals. At home, I've got sound covered to my satisfaction, but I don't have a screen larger than 27".
Old 02-03-20, 09:16 AM
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,873 Times in 3,161 Posts
Phooey. Have you considered moving out to the country?
Not really. Too many reasons to stay in the area and you have to go pretty far out to get away from traffic these days.
Old 02-03-20, 09:21 AM
• —

Another consideration is a Varia radar. My friend who lives in DC (and also commutes) has one and likes it. If I lived in an urban area with lots of cars I would definitely get one.
I may be kidding myself, but I think even my deaf old ears are almost as good as a Varia. I also have trouble understanding the concept of use. If you're out in the middle of the road for some reason, yeah, you consider pulling right, but if I'm in the middle of the road it's because of broken pavement or lack of passing room and I'm not going anywhere. Speed of approach? I don't know how to act on that either.
Old 02-03-20, 09:29 AM
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

I may be kidding myself, but I think even my deaf old ears are almost as good as a Varia. I also have trouble understanding the concept of use. If you're out in the middle of the road for some reason, yeah, you consider pulling right, but if I'm in the middle of the road it's because of broken pavement or lack of passing room and I'm not going anywhere. Speed of approach? I don't know how to act on that either.
Maybe. But realize if there is traffic from both directions you are NOT going to be as aware of cars sneaking up on you. I feel the same way about mirrors. Most helpful if there is noise/traffic.
Old 02-03-20, 09:35 AM
• —

Maybe. But realize if there is traffic from both directions you are NOT going to be as aware of cars sneaking up on you. I feel the same way about mirrors. Most helpful if there is noise/traffic.
Well, I know better than to argue subjectively about my level of situational awareness, but I don't seem to get snuck up on that often.

...last Friday being a notable exception.
Old 02-03-20, 09:40 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11407 Post(s)
Liked 4,761 Times in 2,770 Posts
I'm seriously thinking about it. Are you suggesting reporting close passers or just having video for the cops and lawyers if I get hit again?
Yes.

And, filing those cars into the memory banks, because you don't have time to do it on the fly. Never know when you may see them down the road.
Old 02-03-20, 09:47 AM
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
I'm trying to think of a logical way to put it, but against all logic I feel like strapping cameras to my bike would be admitting to defeat and sucking the fun out of riding.
Old 02-03-20, 09:48 AM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by WhyFi
You've got cameras front and back, don't you? Since I have a Varia out back, I've been thinking about a camera for the front, for documentation of both the fun and the not-so-fun varieties. But then I think about the practicality of a front only for the not-so-fun use cases. I'm thinking that it would be great for close passes, but might be useless in the event of an actual hit. Any thoughts along those lines?
I only ran a front, because I was more into the reviewing my racing, but since then, I went with both. The Varia is a good thing because of how the light behaves, and hopefully will get the attention of someone with their eyes up. Nothing will prevent the eyes down driver, and that's where the rear facing will come in handy.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 02-03-20, 09:55 AM
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13720 Post(s)
Liked 4,533 Times in 2,509 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
Well yesterday was... unusual for winter. It was basically a sunny summer day for someplace like Wisconsin. I had to slather on sunscreen. The Garmin recorded a high of 79 American.

I did a double loop which turned out to be 44.65 miles. There was a massive wind out of the south which beat me up pretty bad, but also made for an amazing push on a long north bound stretch. On my first run through there, I was cruising along at 30 mph without even putting out a bunch of power. On the second run through, the wind had actually died down quite a bit and I was only doing like 23-ish. I thought I was just tired, but I passed a flag that had previously been flapping hard in the wind and it was just sort of fluttering. With the stronger winds, I didn't even try to fight the headwind, opting for recovery-ish pace, and then pushed a bit when the wind was to my advantage.

Got a nice PR on a section with a really steep hill. Overall, it was good ride, but I could tell I still need more endurance. The power was still there at the end of the ride, but I was just generally fatigued. Probably mostly overthinking things. I just want to do well at the next event which will be 30 miles of gravel.

Either way, it really was an amazing day to be out on the bike. Before the ride, the family and I did a picnic lunch at the park. I could write several more paragraphs on my kids and them getting older (about to be 4 for the boy and 8 for the girl), but if you have kids you know what I mean.
Old 02-03-20, 09:56 AM
LAJ
So it is

I'm trying to think of a logical way to put it, but against all logic I feel like strapping cameras to my bike would be admitting to defeat and sucking the fun out of riding.
They'll hit you whether you have a camera, or have a child strapped to your bike. My intent is strictly proof, in order to make life a living hell from that point on.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 02-03-20, 09:56 AM
• —

I would have gotten a camera a long time ago but for that feeling and just not wanting to be a weenie.
Old 02-03-20, 10:00 AM
LAJ
So it is

I would have gotten a camera a long time ago but for that feeling and just not wanting to be a weenie.
When I have a little chat with that driver a few days past the incident, I really have never once felt like a weenie. They are rather surprised they're not nearly as anonymous as they thought.
Old 02-03-20, 10:02 AM
Should Be More Popular

Of course you are a weenie. Get over it.
Old 02-03-20, 10:04 AM

​​​​​​Nope, your ears are not even close to being as good a Varia. It'll pick up cars more than a football field away It'll and it'll pick up multiple cars and their relative spacing.

As far as how actionable the info is... Yeah, I hear you. I find out to be of more value in some situations than in others. It has changed my default position to be further out, often in the passenger side tire track where the pavement is smoother. When I get a notice, I'll move over when they're closer. I could be fooling myself, but between my movement and the changing light pattern, I think these things make me more visible and demonstrate awareness to drivers and I've been passed much more cordially since. If I'm on a road where there's enough traffic, this just isn't practical, though.
Old 02-03-20, 10:04 AM

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3361 Post(s)
Liked 3,638 Times in 1,244 Posts
And what is it with the damn drivers? I went out for a cold, wet, 50 miler yesterday and was so beat down after the fifth punish pass that I found myself psychically unable to stop going into the gutter every time I heard a vehicle approaching. Of course, that didn't help.
That sounds rough.

I only had one encounter with an idiot driver yesterday. They actually gave me a lot of room, but in order to do so they pulled into the oncoming lane with traffic approaching, causing the oncoming traffic to brake in order to avoid a head-on collision

I at least felt a little vindicated when the passer got honked at by the other drivers they endangered.
Old 02-03-20, 10:13 AM

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

As far as how actionable the info is...
That's always the rub. I don't have a Varia, but I do ride with a helmet mirror. It lets me monitor approaching traffic to make sure that they are moving over to give me some space. I guess I'm lucky that essentially everywhere I ride I can dive off into the ditch if I'm not confident that I've been noticed.

Whether I would be able to make that decision in time for it to matter without being overly cautious all the time is another issue.
Old 02-03-20, 10:16 AM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12790 Post(s)
Liked 7,698 Times in 4,087 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
I still don't know the outcome. I was hoping to be able to guess from the comments.

In other news. I have a dilemma. Having found spokes to have become unobtanium, I was going through lots of possibilities for acquiring wheels. With this new gig I've got, there are wheels aplenty. But they are 9 speed. 130mm I'd assume. All my bikes are spaced at 126mm. I guess I will learn the art of cold setting.
A lot of hybrids are 135, so check spacing. You can probably respace to 130 and redish. If you don't change your rear wheel often you can just pop the 130 in there and usually rear derailleur hanger will still be close enough to being on plane for good shifting.
Old 02-03-20, 10:19 AM
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
My assumption would be that a front-only camera, after a rear impact, would be moving too much to catch the vehicle after the fact. That's if it even ever pointed at the vehicle after the impact, which it might not, depending on the specifics.
Old 02-03-20, 10:21 AM
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
That sounds rough.

I only had one encounter with an idiot driver yesterday. They actually gave me a lot of room, but in order to do so they pulled into the oncoming lane with traffic approaching, causing the oncoming traffic to brake in order to avoid a head-on collision

I at least felt a little vindicated when the passer got honked at by the other drivers they endangered.
AG and I did our normal loop, which is usually fine, but there's one part where there's a roundabout, followed by a slightly-narrow gentle descent with a nasty bump right on the shoulder. Going through the roundabout we tried to wait for an Odyssey, which held up longer than it should have so we went. Then it refuses to pass in the area where it would have been easy... and finally passes directly where it means we have to eat the bump straight on. I hate when they think they're being polite like that.
Old 02-03-20, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
My assumption would be that a front-only camera, after a rear impact, would be moving too much to catch the vehicle after the fact. That's if it even ever pointed at the vehicle after the impact, which it might not, depending on the specifics.
This was kinda my thought, too.
Old 02-03-20, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
AG and I did our normal loop, which is usually fine, but there's one part where there's a roundabout, followed by a slightly-narrow gentle descent with a nasty bump right on the shoulder. Going through the roundabout we tried to wait for an Odyssey, which held up longer than it should have so we went. Then it refuses to pass in the area where it would have been easy... and finally passes directly where it means we have to eat the bump straight on. I hate when they think they're being polite like that.
I also had a lot of people yesterday waiting on me to pass before pulling on to the road I am on from a cross street. Generally I appreciate it, but I felt a little dumb when they're sitting there waiting and I'm climbing at 8mph into a nasty headwind. Just go! Trust me, I'm going slower than you think I am!
Old 02-03-20, 11:13 AM
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
All the protein in my body has been replaced with whey many times over.
dude, no whey!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.