Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Lock Picking Lawyer's personal bike lock

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Lock Picking Lawyer's personal bike lock

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-19, 11:08 AM

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Keep in mind that just because the lock/chain CAN be defeated, doesn't mean it can be done quickly or quietly.

I mean if it takes an angle grinder a minute to hack through the lock...then yeah a thief with an angle grinder can steal your bike.

But if you park it in a populate area with lots of witnesses, no one is going to spend 1 minute with a noisy spark throwing attention grabbing angle grinder in front of a lot of witnesses to steal it. If you park if out back behind the dumpsters....well not that being robbed is your fault, but you did make it easier.

As for picking a lock....it's quiet. So someone might be able to go unnoticed for 5 minutes as passers by will think he's just tinkering with his own bike and wouldn't notice he's messing with the lock. But how many thieves are going to spend 5 minutes stealing your bike when the 3 bikes next to it are tied up with a Wal Mart chain, a bungee cord, and unlocked entirely? A kid stealing a bike to take a ride or the drug addict looking for a quick flip are going to go for the low hanging fruit, not the one that takes work. Most wouldn't know a quality bike from a POS anyway.

Now the professional who can identify a quality bike and has a means of selling it quickly....that guy is your real enemy here. That is the guy who are really trying to defend against with the harder to bust lock. Problem is that guy knows what he's doing. If he wants your bike, all you can do is slow him down. You can't stop him. BUT!!!! slowing him down may be enough if you make it take long enough to steal it that he risks being noticed.

That means reducing the amount of time he has by parking it in a well it area with witnesses. And increasing the time to takes with a better lock.

The single best thing you can do or bike security is to make your bike take longer to steal than the bike next to it.
Old 04-15-19, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Assuming this is real

Old 04-15-19, 01:46 PM
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Dumb questions from me:

-Remember the 40 Y/O Virgin movie? He took his front wheel with him. Why's nobody do this?

-Why don't people invent a hub lock keeping the thing from spinning? Can't ride it away, if you don't CX, carrying a bike that far ain't that easy.

-If primarily for the commute, and no indoor storage for full bike........Brompton?
Old 04-15-19, 03:25 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,827 Times in 1,063 Posts
Originally Posted by MEversbergII
Some years back I recall watching a video of a guy who set out to "steal" his own bike in the middle of a busy street using an angle grinder to cut his lock. Nobody stopped him.
'Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle'. Did people not pay attention to the lock cutting because there was an obvious camera recording the event?
Old 04-15-19, 03:30 PM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by Skipjacks
But how many thieves are going to spend 5 minutes stealing your bike when the 3 bikes next to it are tied up with a Wal Mart chain, a bungee cord, and unlocked entirely?...

The single best thing you can do or bike security is to make your bike take longer to steal than the bike next to it.
^This. The duck comes down, he wins $20.
Old 04-15-19, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
What I took from the video is that he picked a lock that was "good enough". Now "good enough" will change from person to person because we all know that there isn't a lock on this earth that cannot be compromised in some way.
Old 04-16-19, 06:50 AM

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
I just hope my Abus is up to whatever comes its way, ha!

M.
Old 04-16-19, 08:33 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by MEversbergII
I just hope my Abus is up to whatever comes its way, ha!
If it's any solace, while LPL opened one in 11 seconds, my Citadel has protected my bikes in all manner of situations for 41 years.

Old 04-18-19, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
Folks with the talent to pick those locks aren’t looking to steal a bicycle, and they’re far and few between.
Old 04-18-19, 10:47 AM

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
I finally got to test out the Abus yesterday at the local grocer. It's just long enough to lock the rear triangle to the cart return next to the store entrance. Glad I went with that one and not the Faghitaboutit, since I'm not sure that would fit on much of anything I lock up to very well at all (maybe some of those very thin bike racks I see at the park). I have a cable for securing the front wheel as well, one of the loop types you pass the U lock through the end of. Might pick up some extra velcro straps to secure the U-Lock to the rear rack so I don't always have to carry it in a backpack but otherwise it didn't feel like it was all that cumbersome (a complaint many people seem to have with U-locks).

M.