Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Don't Ride in the Middle to Left Side of the Lane

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Don't Ride in the Middle to Left Side of the Lane

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-12, 02:18 PM

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RobertHurst
So.... you don't pass slow-moving vehicles? Just putter along at their pace no matter what? Interesting.
Did I say or imply that I did not? There have been times when I have in fact been out riding that I have passed slower moving vehicles. Most recently (within the last month or so) I and friends were leaving The Pier in Downtown St. Petersburg. The road on The Pier itself is one lane but merges into an area of the road which is two lanes wide. There was a car in the right hand lane that was impeding us cyclists because it was going slower than the posted speed limit.

I signaled and moved into the left lane and passed said vehicle and then signaled and moved back to the right hand lane in front of said vehicle and was able to put enough space between myself and the vehicle that I passed that I was not in any way impeding said vehicle.
Old 06-21-12, 02:24 PM

Bikes: Sun EZ-Speedster SX, Volae Expedition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Some states provide a width (10 feet, for example).
What states provide a width of 10 feet? The only explicit width I know of is 14 feet.
Old 06-21-12, 02:39 PM

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
You are preaching to the choir. I am retired military and was never late once in my career. True to form you got hung up on the perhiphery and lost the message. It was an empathy drill. There are times in our lives when we need to get somewhere in a hurry. When we encounter obstacles we seek to overcome them. If I am holding someone up. I can relate to that. I'll remove myslef as an obstacle. In fact some states require that vehicles that have more than 5 built up behind them pull over. With the empathy drill I was supporting my position that accomodating motorists is not taking an inferior position.
I'll do the same, only I don't wait until there are 5 or more cars behind me. I'll move over (as long as it is safe for me to do so) if there are 2 or 3 cars "backed up" behind me.

If I cannot safely move over to allow them to pass then they just have to wait until it is either safe for me to move over or for them to pass me without endangering either of us.

Sadly, I have seen too many motorists pass me even when there is traffic in the oncoming lane making it unsafe for them to safely pass me. Likewise I have seen motorists pass me on what is for all intent and purposes is a blind curve.

I have to wonder just what the bloody hell they are thinking when they make such moves.
Old 06-21-12, 02:40 PM
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chipcom
Bottom line - no matter what your lane position, no matter what clothing you are wearing, no matter what kind of lights you have, assuming you are visible is going to cause you to have a bad day at some point. Do what you can to be visible...always assume that you are invisible.
I don't assume I am visible. I make sure I am visible.

I was actually talking with one of my relatives today about their driving(they brought it up). They were saying how easy it is to go over the speed limit without pressing the gas pedal. I told them, if that is about to happen, for them to take their **** foot off the gas pedal!! They reacted like 'duh.....how do I do that?'.

My lane position, is because of drivers like my relative.

So I am always looking/listening around me to see/hear what is happening.

Yesterday, I was coming back from a convenience store. At one point, I turned onto a two-lane blacktop that runs underneath a major state highway, and is parallel to a set of railroad tracks that run through the old center of the neighboring city. As I continued down that road, the fire engine I had heard a couple moments before I got on that road had stopped under the state highway overpass, next to the railroad tracks. A driver is a vehicle similar to a Dodge Caravan(one of those types of vehicles), had jumped the curb, gone down a small embankment, and ended up on the railroad tracks. The commuter train on those very tracks, came within about 10-20ft. of, killing the motorist.

Now, If I had been in front of that driver, the way they were driving to have an accident like that, I would have been ALL THE WAY out to the double-yellow line so they wouldn't run me off the road, like they ran off the road.
Old 06-21-12, 02:44 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It is physically impossible for a cyclist and vehicle (of just about any size) to share an 8-foot-wide lane. That's three feet less than the width of a typical bike path. Suburban sidewalks are 6 feet wide.
That is the width of the lanes on the road in question. In fact I would I would hazard to guess that a great many roads in St. Petersburg are of similar width. Yes, there are roads with wide outside lanes, or with "extra" wide lanes, but they seem to be the exception not the norm.

The norm appears to be at most 12' but usually closer to 8' in width.
Old 06-21-12, 02:52 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
It all started with FedEx and the idea that it has got to be there overnight... the fax machine is somehow involved too, but it was invented quite a long time ago. Then along came the internet and nearly instant gratification; the demise of the 55MPH national speed limit and the introduction of the cell phone didn't help... suddenly everyone is in a hurry and nobody can recall why. Too many lead the lives of the rabbit going down the hole with the watch, crying "I'm late, I'm late..."

I keep bicycles and sailboats in my life to try to keep things real... neither one fits "a tight schedule."

My employer however doesn't have a clue (I worked through Christmas)... and I suspect a lot of people fall into the same trap. Ask yourself this... why do people form lines for the latest smart phones... don't they have lives?

You are probably right.

We all need to "slow down and smell the roses." Think of the reduction in stress in our daily lives if we did that.
Old 06-21-12, 02:59 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Did you take any lessons away from this experience?
That the operator of the BMW should have waited until it was safe for him to make his turn. Instead of being impatient and turning in front of a vehicle that had the right of way and and that being impatient, turning into the wrong lane. There is NOTHING that I could have done to have changed the outcome.

As I had come to a full, foot down on the pavement stop. I had nowhere to move to, to avoid being hit. Unless you are suggesting that I the operator of a vehicle that was legally stopped at a stop sign at a four-way stop should have done something to prevent the crash.

If so please explain what I could/should have done differently to have effected the outcome of this crash.
Old 06-21-12, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
You guys are splitting hairs. As it is written into that traffic law, reasonableness is up to the rider. It was written that way by design. Now if an officer of the law took issue of the way you were using the lane and wrote you a ticket, then ultimately someone would adjudicate the reasonableness of your use of the lane.
That's exactly what I said, or thought I said. If there is a disagreement it will ultimately be up to other members of society to determine whether or not the cyclist's actions were reasonable or not. The rider does not have the last word.
Old 06-21-12, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
That is the width of the lanes on the road in question. In fact I would I would hazard to guess that a great many roads in St. Petersburg are of similar width. Yes, there are roads with wide outside lanes, or with "extra" wide lanes, but they seem to be the exception not the norm.

The norm appears to be at most 12' but usually closer to 8' in width.
Have you measured, or is that your guess?

People's guesses about the width of things are often way off.

Still I know there are a lot of very narrow lanes around there. They are probably closer to 10-foot though at their smallest. Still skinnier than most bike paths. Barely wide enough for a truck to fit. A modern Camry is well over 7 feet mirror to mirror.

As long as we're clear that lane-sharing is physically impossible in an 8-10 foot lane.
Old 06-21-12, 03:12 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Have you measured, or is that your guess?

People's guesses about the width of things are often way off.

Still I know there are a lot of very narrow lanes around there. They are probably closer to 10-foot though at their smallest. Still skinnier than most bike paths. Barely wide enough for a truck to fit. A modern Camry is well over 7 feet mirror to mirror.

As long as we're clear that lane-sharing is physically impossible in an 8-10 foot lane.
No, I have not actually stopped and measured the width. I am only guestimating the width. As I've said most of the roads I ride on have very narrow lanes. Clearly much narrower then the 14' standard.

I agree with you fully that they are too narrow to safely share with most cars, let alone a smallish semi, such as the one that I encountered earlier this week.
Old 06-21-12, 03:14 PM
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
No, I have not actually stopped and measured the width. I am only guestimating the width. As I've said most of the roads I ride on have very narrow lanes. Clearly much narrower then the 14' standard.

I agree with you fully that they are too narrow to safely share with most cars, let alone a smallish semi, such as the one that I encountered earlier this week.
How do they compare to the road after the right turn where I follow the yellow truck in the first vid I posted ?

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post14387516

Last edited by noisebeam; 06-21-12 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-21-12, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Chris516
I don't assume I am visible. I make sure I am visible.

Impossible.

Unless you can reach inside of vehicles and physically turn distracted drivers' heads.
Old 06-21-12, 03:29 PM
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Has anyone here indicated to you that they ride hugging the curb?
No, Not actually, or every once in a while. Yet I never claimed anyone was. I was stating, why I won't.

What I gather from reading this thread is that we have two primary schools of thought amongst us. There are those that take the lane the majority of the time. They justify it for a variety of reasons to include, "It's MY lane," it makes them more visible, and it FORCES safer passes. Then there are those of us that regularly ride FRAP, taking the lane only when reasonably necessary due to the specific road and traffic conditions we find ourselves in.
In the vein of FRAP, it still includes 'taking the lane'.

I can tell you that the former group pisses a LOT of motorists off, and I mean a lot. I am enough of a thinker to know that neither group is at all difficult to find my way around when I am in a car, but...and this is a big but, most motorists aren't thinkers. They are in such a hurry to get nowhere, that anything they perceive as a hindrance will be met with blind rage.
I don't care if I tick off a motorist. Because there is no reason to allow motorists' to run a cyclist off the road on account of them thinking 'bikes don't belong on the road'. Also, I am fully aware the a motorist, just as I a cyclist, has places to, people to see, and things to do. But that doesn't mean they have to be selfish doing it.

I'll clue you in on something. Nobody, and I mean nobody, gives a flying fish fart if you slow roll a stop sign or a right turn on red. And nobody gives a schidt if you stop and go at a red light.
Now this just had me ROTFLMHO!!!!!!

They do care that it looks like you are selfishly occupying more of the road than is reasonably necessary. It pisses them off.
What is 'reasonably necessary', is a matter of definition, and one that a motorist cannot make for a cyclist. So if that pisses them off, then so be it. When I encounter that, I will deal with it accordingly.

Anyone want to make a list of the consequences of a pissed off motoring population? SHARE the road! And yes, in some cases this may mean safely sharing a portion of the same lane.
Since when did 'SHARE THE ROAD', equate to 'SHARE THE LANE'. I am not hogging any space on the road.

We ride bikes specifically because they are not cars, so to get on one and behave exactly as cars is ridiculous. We ARE NOT inferior. We are different. Being different has advantages and disadvantages. Accommodating others because we are slower doesn't have to be dangerous and isn't if it is done correctly. Some of you are downright amusing with this Napoleon kind of complex you carry.
Exactly, That is why I don't maintain a 'road position' that gives motorists' even greater opportunity to run me off the road, just because they don't like cyclists' and can't bare the thought of not being able to drive over the posted speed limit. It may be Napoleonic to you. But my experiences tell me otherwise.

Ask yourself this. If you were on a bike pedaling down a busy roadway with narrow lanes and double yellows down the center and got stuck behind a grandma going 7 miles per hour in her 81 Buick, what would you do?
I would pass her at the earliest LEGAL chance I had. That means, I would not cross a double-yellow to do it.
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13659 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Impossible.

Unless you can reach inside of vehicles and physically turn distracted drivers' heads.
Been telling him that for weeks now... he thinks he has some special power...

I didn't say they were too narrow to share 'safely.' That's a subjective judgment. I said they were so narrow that it would be physically impossible to fit a cyclist beside a typical vehicle. There's not enough space for a small vehicle and a two-foot-wide cyclist to physically fit side-by-side, at any speed, even 0. So if any kind of lane-sharing is going on there I would say your lanes are at least 10 or 11 feet. Still pretty narrow though.

I suggest all the time that people should take a tape measure out and check lanes, paths, etc. Almost everybody has a weirdly exaggerated sense of width for things on the ground. Ten feet looks like 8 feet. 15 feet looks like 10. Most people think their 5- or 6-foot sidewalks are 4-foot sidewalks. Etc. I don't know why but maybe it's because we think of something 7 feet as being really, really tall. Turns out if you lay a 7-footer on the ground across the typical suburban sidewalk, he's just six inches over the edge on either side. It's kind of disappointing. Brings down the whole human race. We have some 7-foot wide bike lanes here in Denver. They don't seem Lou Alcinder wide.
Old 06-21-12, 03:32 PM
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Agreed, it amazes me that people do not understand this simple principal of safe riding.
Exactly!!!!
Old 06-21-12, 03:39 PM
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
What are these "white lines" and "fog lines" everyone's talking about?

hugging the ditch on this road = bad idea.

byway by Lester Of Puppets, on Flickr
Exactly

On my bi-weekly commute south, I go on a major artery, that has a blind curve like the one in the pic. While the road in question, that I travel on is a four-lane road, that doesn't make the blind curve any better. I will go out to the white broken line that separates the passing lane, from the slow lane, in an additional effort to make myself more visible. If that isn't enough, I try to pedal even harder, for the distance of the curve.
Old 06-21-12, 03:41 PM

Bikes: A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
I would never be in the lane on the backside of the hill. I was writing about the road in the photo which is an approach up the hill.
Which is how that girl got killed a little more than a week ago north of Copenhagen.
Old 06-21-12, 03:44 PM
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by genec
Check out this road... click on this and note the speed limits. Then tell me who would ride right down the middle of the lane?

I checked the speed limits out. I would 'take the lane' IF, the speed limit 25mph lower. But that is me.
Old 06-21-12, 03:46 PM
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2136 Post(s)
Liked 1,649 Times in 830 Posts
I don't care if I tick off a motorist.
That's very selfish of you. Pissed off motorists take their anger out on cyclists on a regular basis and often with deadly consequences. There are a lot more motorists than cyclists and that equates to money and political pull. Don't think for a second that laws can be drafted to severely restrict our use of the roads. When I am a motorist I make an effort to blend harmoniously with other traffic. That doesn't change when I hop on my bike. You militants aren't doing us much good on the advocacy front.
Old 06-21-12, 03:50 PM

That the operator of the BMW should have waited until it was safe for him to make his turn. Instead of being impatient and turning in front of a vehicle that had the right of way and and that being impatient, turning into the wrong lane. There is NOTHING that I could have done to have changed the outcome.

As I had come to a full, foot down on the pavement stop. I had nowhere to move to, to avoid being hit. Unless you are suggesting that I the operator of a vehicle that was legally stopped at a stop sign at a four-way stop should have done something to prevent the crash.

If so please explain what I could/should have done differently to have effected the outcome of this crash.
If I understand the type of collision you had, it is not terribly uncommon, and somewhat preventable.

I actually cover this in my book Art of [Urban] Cycling, in a chapter called "Corner Cutters." [p. 104-5 in the second edition.] And there is even a diagram of your collision, which I drew myself.

Goes a little something like this:

" ... Suddenly -- a screech of tires from your right side. A car turning left from the far side of the boulevard carves directly at you. This guy's spotted a minuscule gap in the oncoming traffic, and, rather than wait ten seconds, has chosen to risk the health of several motorists, including himself, to shoot the gap. His line is taking him directly toward the apex of the corner, across the wrong side of the street, directly at your front wheel. Unfortunately, he hasn't seen you at all, he's so focused on oncoming traffic."

" ... The corner-cutting phenomenon is a good reason to roll slowly toward intersections, to be patient, and to stay 5 feet or more back from the corner, just out of the cutter's favored path. That way the cyclist's well-being is not dependent on drivers who don't think twice about who or what might be waiting for them around the corner."

Practical application of a defensive, vigilant mindset. Lots more where that came from in my book if anyone's interested.
Old 06-21-12, 03:51 PM
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noisebeam
Nothing is worse than being slowed down by a cyclist and her SAG. I never understand why she is riding so far right (where the pavement is worse) when the vehicles behind her are with her.
Agreed
Old 06-21-12, 03:54 PM
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You guys are splitting hairs. As it is written into that traffic law, reasonableness is up to the rider. It was written that way by design. Now if an officer of the law took issue of the way you were using the lane and wrote you a ticket, then ultimately someone would adjudicate the reasonableness of your use of the lane.
Replace it with the rabbit!!!!
Old 06-21-12, 04:02 PM

Bikes: A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exactly

On my bi-weekly commute south, I go on a major artery, that has a blind curve like the one in the pic. While the road in question, that I travel on is a four-lane road, that doesn't make the blind curve any better. I will go out to the white broken line that separates the passing lane, from the slow lane, in an additional effort to make myself more visible. If that isn't enough, I try to pedal even harder, for the distance of the curve.
I feel that you're overlooking one rather important thing here:

Good drivers will take the curve you refer to very alertly. They may not expect cyclists, but they'll know that just about anything may hide behind the curve: a deer, a drunk, a broken down car. Goes for good drivers both from behind and ahead. So, it's not the good drivers that are the problem. It's the bad drivers. They'll take that curve at high speed, not for one moment thinking that anything will get in the way of their car. Those from ahead might even overtake another car!

Now, do you really for one moment think that taking the lane in that curve will protect you from bad drivers? I don't. I'd hug that roadside like a maniac.

Last edited by hagen2456; 06-21-12 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-21-12, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That's very selfish of you. Pissed off motorists take their anger out on cyclists on a regular basis and often with deadly consequences. There are a lot more motorists than cyclists and that equates to money and political pull. Don't think for a second that laws can be drafted to severely restrict our use of the roads. When I am a motorist I make an effort to blend harmoniously with other traffic. That doesn't change when I hop on my bike. You militants aren't doing us much good on the advocacy front.
I think it's a bit of nonsense that another road user doing something perfectly legal can somehow turn a reasonable driver into a homicidal maniac.

No one should care if they are ticking other road users off, and in my experience very few actually do. Everyone is just trying to get where they are going in an efficient, safe, legal and courteous fashion. When you turn left, does it keep you up at night that the people behind you are going to a few seconds later to their destination?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.