Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Fuji bikes are amazing!!!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-10, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is the bike that I ride 95 % of the time. I like the ride, and It fits me very nicely.

1988 Club Fuji. All Suntour Accushift Ole`, 6 speed rear. 22 pounds without the saddle bag and pump.
Old 01-30-10, 07:29 PM

Bikes: 1989 Schwinn World Sport. 1994 Diamond Back Response Elite MTB. 1964 Schwinn Typhoon. 1974 Bridgestone Sprinter, 2015 Scott Sub 10 Citybike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 37 Posts
I like my Fuji Tiara. It's my beater but it's a nice bike.

Old 01-31-10, 08:17 AM

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 128 Posts
Fuji .... according to Sheldon Brown....

"In the early '70s S-10-S was the first Japanese bike successfully designed for the U.S. market. In the late '70s, the S-10-S was the first mass-produced bike with a 6-speed freewheel.

The first Japanese company to figure out the U.S. market was Nichibei Fuji (not to be confused with all the other Japanese companies that are called "Fuji"; "Fuji" is roughly the Japanese equivalent of "Acme.") The U.S. importer at the time was Eugene Ritvo, from the Boston area, and he seems to have been the first knowledgeable U.S. cyclist to succeed in getting a major Japanese bike maker to listen to him.
He spec'ed the breakthrough model, the S-10-S, and, when the first batch had persistent spoke breakage problems, he insisted that all of the wheels be replaced.

The S-10-S featured Sugino Maxy cotterless cranks (while competitive models from Europe were still using steel cottered cranks). It had a well designed, butted frame, available in a full range of sizes, nearly indestructible Ukai aluminum rims, and the bike soon acquired an excellent reputation for reliability and performance.

The S10-S had aluminum handlebars & stem, Sunshine high-flange hubs, and a Belt leather saddle. This model name was continued for several years. In 1977 it was upgraded to 12-speed, and later the name was changed to S12-S. "

I had both the S-10-S and S-12-S, and really loved those bikes. I had bought the 10 used, and it had the trouble with the spokes. It was really an annoying problem as I can remember. The bike was still really nice for it's time. The 12 I bought new, and put a lot of mileage on. I sold it to a friend who really liked it, since I had discovered Bridgestone Kabuki by then.

Last year I bought a 1981 Royale. To me it brings back memories of my Special Road Racers. It is a nice, solid riding bike. IMHO, it's like the Corolla or Camry of the bicycle world.

I just bought a Fuji hybrid on the cheap (price of two 12-packs of Bud) . It looks as though it ran into some malfunctions early in it's life, and then just sat for around for years. Still searching to find a scatch in the paint.

It was the top of the line sports/fitness bike in 1991, so it is comparable to my Schwinn CrossCut.

This link shows the bike with it's black-speckled ruby red color:

https://classicfuji.com/1991_22_DelRey_Page.htm

It you can find a good condition Japanese Fuj in a model that meets your needs, and in your size, that is reasonably priced,...grab it. They are good bikes.

Classic Fuji website link:

https://classicfuji.com/
Old 01-31-10, 10:29 AM

Bikes: '06 DBR podium 1, '12 Windsor Oxford

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently sold this beauty

This bike was my first restoration. Turned out great. Too bad I didn't take the before pictures.
Old 01-31-10, 10:35 AM
Photographer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
One of my Fuji holy grails is a 1984 Del Rey in oak green: https://classicfuji.com/DelRey_1984_Page.htm

It would have to be mint or virtually unridden and in my size. Such a pretty paint job.

Scott
Old 01-31-10, 10:58 AM

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rogav8or
This is the bike that I ride 95 % of the time. I like the ride, and It fits me very nicely.

1988 Club Fuji. All Suntour Accushift Ole`, 6 speed rear. 22 pounds without the saddle bag and pump.
Nice bike.
Old 01-31-10, 12:15 PM
Run What 'Ya Brung

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since we're sharing our Fujis, here's mine. I picked it up literally brand-new, it still had the price tag on it from 1980-whatever. It was and is pretty low-to-mid-end, with the crappy cross lever and stem shifters. First, I converted it to fixed gear for ****s and grins, but quickly got bored of that since I already have lots of fixed bikes. So I removed the aux brakes, sawed off the bolt so it'd sit flat, and got some cheap hoods on eBay. Then I upgraded to some Suntour Barcons I picked up on Craigslist. I still regret selling this bike - it fit me perfectly. As shown, I had $80 invested in it. I was still using the original tires and tubes, that's how unused it was.

Old 01-31-10, 02:22 PM

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottryder
One of my Fuji holy grails is a 1984 Del Rey in oak green: https://classicfuji.com/DelRey_1984_Page.htm

It would have to be mint or virtually unridden and in my size. Such a pretty paint job.

Scott
I guess the 56cm 83 in Beige that had maybe 100 miles on it wouldn't have worked for you. Paint had some chips from garage wear. You don't want to know what I paid for it but I sold it for $160 after a complete relube.
Old 01-31-10, 02:37 PM
Photographer

Originally Posted by Grim
I guess the 56cm 83 in Beige that had maybe 100 miles on it wouldn't have worked for you. Paint had some chips from garage wear. You don't want to know what I paid for it but I sold it for $160 after a complete relube.
Grim, your selling price and condition would have peaked my attention. The beige color would have sent me running!

Scott
Old 01-31-10, 03:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued
I find this one pretty amazing, btw. Not sure about a high ten stamped drop 35 pounder...

BD, is that yours? Very nice!

I just picked up an '85 Club Fuji, same red except with a yellow head tube, from another forum member that I'm building up. It'll be mostly Cyclone with some clipless pedals and a nice light tubular wheel set. I'm gunning for 21 lbs, which isn't too shabby for a 58cm frame.
Old 01-31-10, 05:21 PM

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Grim, your selling price and condition would have peaked my attention. The beige color would have sent me running!

Scott
Wish it had fit me. It rode nice in between my knees hitting the bars. LOL

These are before I cleaned it up.

Check out the lack of scuffs on the peddles!

My $8 yard sale 1984 Touring III with factory 48 spoke back wheel. Needs paint and I will be painting it Green and Gold like a Touring V once it gets warm again. I have a set of Aero levers and 7 speed free hub and indexed bar ends for it as well.

Old 01-31-10, 05:43 PM
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tmh657
What about the Fuji S12-S? It has Fuji 441 tubing. I know it's cro-mo but does it make for a good riding bike? The fork is hi-ten. Fuji branded Suntour RD I believe as well as Fuji branded crank, Sugino I guess. Dia Compe brakes, 27" alloy wheels, Sunshine hubs.
I have an early 80s Fuji Supreme. Straight gauge tubing and hi-ten fork. I weigh it at 26 pounds. After riding it around all summer, I fell in love with the ride. Another good side of these bikes from the 80s (not just Fuji either...) is that new components often work fine with them. I have a problem with the rear while of my Fuji and simply borrowed a wheel from my wife's 2006 Giant. It fit perfectly, or almost. I needed a little adjustment to the brakes. Surprisingly it even shifted through some of the gears on the 8 speed cassette. With minor adjustments, I could easily upgrade it.
Old 01-31-10, 06:03 PM
Dropped

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
nlerner is now in possession of it (I think!), but I had brief stewardship of an Opus III. Beautifully handcrafted frame and a nice mix of simple, elegant Japanese components. I should have kept it!

Not the best photos, but they give you an idea:

Old 01-31-10, 07:47 PM
Champion of the Low End

Bikes: I have some bikes

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 11 Posts

What looks to be an early Special Road Racer, apparently before they came with alloy rims. I love the crazy Nitto stem and the lug lines.

I love Japanese bikes, but I have never found a Fuji in my size for a decent price. They command higher prices in the Chicago market, apparently because they have a great reputation among couriers.
Old 01-31-10, 07:57 PM
FBoD Member at Large

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by eboard17
I hope so, I'm looking at this in the morning:

1988 Fuji Tivoli. The low end of the Fuji race line but still Tange Infinity. Hopefully it will be fairly clean as my first C&V project. I'm seeing white saddle, tape, and housings. Heck, the yellow is intriguing too.
Old 01-31-10, 11:00 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7371 Post(s)
Liked 2,520 Times in 1,465 Posts
Originally Posted by Primitive Don

What looks to be an early Special Road Racer, apparently before they came with alloy rims. I love the crazy Nitto stem and the lug lines.

I love Japanese bikes, but I have never found a Fuji in my size for a decent price. They command higher prices in the Chicago market, apparently because they have a great reputation among couriers.
I'm sure those are replacement wheels. That bike did come with aluminum rims originally. I have, in my basement, my neighbor's bike of the same year as in your picture, and it has aluminum rims.

You may be interested: I have a 1982 Team Fuji I could sell you. It's a 23" frame. What size are you? It's in excellent condition.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-01-10, 02:18 AM
Champion of the Low End

Bikes: I have some bikes

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I'm sure those are replacement wheels. That bike did come with aluminum rims originally. I have, in my basement, my neighbor's bike of the same year as in your picture, and it has aluminum rims.
Hmm, could be. Classic Fuji says the first 3 years of the S10S had steel rims; that said, I have not attempted to date this particular bike definitively.

Originally Posted by noglider
You may be interested: I have a 1982 Team Fuji I could sell you. It's a 23" frame. What size are you? It's in excellent condition.
Sounds like a great bike, but right now I can only afford to fix up the current stable.
Old 02-01-10, 07:37 AM
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 114 Posts
Classic Fuji says the first 3 years of the S10S had steel rims
One of mine has steel rims as well. I read somewhere that alloy rims were an option for the earlier models.
Old 02-01-10, 07:43 AM
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

What looks to be an early Special Road Racer, apparently before they came with alloy rims.
I noticed that the decals on the fork don't match my 73, so I looked at the catalogs. It seems that only the 75/76 models had that white triangle. It is odd that the 75 catalog displays alloy rims. The hub looks identical to the one that I have on my 73. Maybe Scott or T-Mar can chime in with an explanation.
Old 02-01-10, 08:02 AM
Photographer

Originally Posted by beech333
I noticed that the decals on the fork don't match my 73, so I looked at the catalogs. It seems that only the 75/76 models had that white triangle. It is odd that the 75 catalog displays alloy rims. The hub looks identical to the one that I have on my 73. Maybe Scott or T-Mar can chime in with an explanation.
I'm afraid Im not going to be much help. My '73 SRR has alloy rims but I've seen the identical bike with steel.

Scott
Old 02-01-10, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
similar but different

Originally Posted by cudak888
No offense, but this sounds like a troll.

-Kurt
I figured the poster paid 200 for the fuji and is looking for assurance.
Old 02-01-10, 11:46 AM
Fuji Fan

Scott
Didn't Robatsu have one? If you can contact him, he may not be all that attached to it.
Old 02-01-10, 11:57 AM
Photographer

Originally Posted by beech333
Didn't Robatsu have one? If you can contact him, he may not be all that attached to it.
He does and it's gorgeous. I just haven't been able to get in touch with him.

Scott
Old 02-01-10, 12:18 PM
Fuji Fan

Maybe he will come back in the spring.
Old 02-01-10, 12:20 PM
No I'm Not a Pirate!

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What happend to the O.P.? I guess all the Fuji love scared them off.

Just to chime in for the Mixte loving crowd... I love riding my 1985 Fuji Sagres Mixte. BTW... when I was younger if you saw a person on a Fuji bike in my area, it was like seeing some one in an exotic sports car, all we had was a Schwinn dealer, or dept. store bikes in my town.