Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The thrill of defeat !! (agony of victory)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The thrill of defeat !! (agony of victory)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-15, 10:17 PM

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,125 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Otis
Ok, try it without the polka-dots, see if that works for you.

Oh man -- that works, that works !! Super cool bike -- I missed out on the Mapei bike , but these things are unfortunately on my radar now --- i have a couple other Italian framesets i have bids on on ebay, but they are projects and in need of TLC ($200-300 frames - if they bid up more than that , i'm out ) I have too many irons in the fire lately and too many projects, - but i'd gladly throw a couple on the classifieds here if the right machine came along

Originally Posted by look171
Doooon't. they aren't that good. I know its a mid price range, but you can do so much better with other mfg's product. Look at American Range. Really good stuff for the price. Its Viking in sheep's clothing. IMO, the guts are better then Viking.

Isn't that a pretty Colnago?
I'm leaning towards a Wolf for the range now mainly because they can be a solid stand alone unit and the centerpiece of the kitchen. (as would the American range) I already have fridge, micro and dishwasher from another manufacturer. Viking seems to go best when you buy the whole suite, but i've heard there have been some QC issues in the last couple of years since they were bought out from Maytag. All these ranges are around 4k for the 30" -- i had heard mixed reviews of the BErtazzoni as well though, - its considerably cheaper, but i guess you get what you pay for

-- Kitchen appliances draw some parallels to cycling -- I do not need a $8000 bike to go ride a century in 6 hours, i believe i can do that on my old Centurion Ironman, ----- And i dont need a Viking/Wolf/BlueStar etc range to burn some pizza leftovers , and i cooked a more than acceptable turkey in my $600 electric Frigidaire this year, -- but the trick stuff is sure nice to look at --
Old 12-01-15, 10:47 PM

Bikes: Casati, Look, Torelli, Ridley, and a bunch of steel bikes from the 80s and the 90s..

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DMC707
Oh man -- that works, that works !! Super cool bike -- I missed out on the Mapei bike , but these things are unfortunately on my radar now --- i have a couple other Italian framesets i have bids on on ebay, but they are projects and in need of TLC ($200-300 frames - if they bid up more than that , i'm out ) I have too many irons in the fire lately and too many projects, - but i'd gladly throw a couple on the classifieds here if the right machine came along

I'm leaning towards a Wolf for the range now mainly because they can be a solid stand alone unit and the centerpiece of the kitchen. (as would the American range) I already have fridge, micro and dishwasher from another manufacturer. Viking seems to go best when you buy the whole suite, but i've heard there have been some QC issues in the last couple of years since they were bought out from Maytag. All these ranges are around 4k for the 30" -- i had heard mixed reviews of the BErtazzoni as well though, - its considerably cheaper, but i guess you get what you pay for

-- Kitchen appliances draw some parallels to cycling -- I do not need a $8000 bike to go ride a century in 6 hours, i believe i can do that on my old Centurion Ironman, ----- And i dont need a Viking/Wolf/BlueStar etc range to burn some pizza leftovers , and i cooked a more than acceptable turkey in my $600 electric Frigidaire this year, -- but the trick stuff is sure nice to look at --
Part of our construction business (getting close to 65% now)are custom kitchens and baths in the past 8-10 years. I also own a cabinet shop as well, so we get to play with lots of kitchen designs and have great influences on appliances and fixtures. You think high end bikes are expensive? Both myself and my vendor will talk you out of buying the Bertazzoni range. Wolfs are fine products so are Thermardor. Hey, back on topic, a Molteni range will impress all your old CV friends. Give me a shout if you need help or have questions on your kitchen remod.

Molteni Stoves - Ranges and Suites - Estate Kitchens have fun
Old 12-02-15, 12:28 AM

Part of our construction business (getting close to 65% now)are custom kitchens and baths in the past 8-10 years. I also own a cabinet shop as well, so we get to play with lots of kitchen designs and have great influences on appliances and fixtures. You think high end bikes are expensive? Both myself and my vendor will talk you out of buying the Bertazzoni range. Wolfs are fine products so are Thermardor. Hey, back on topic, a Molteni range will impress all your old CV friends. Give me a shout if you need help or have questions on your kitchen remod.

Molteni Stoves - Ranges and Suites - Estate Kitchens have fun
Thats some serious eye candy ---

I'm an insurance adjuster so i get to pay for this stuff when tornadoes and floods take it away, --- so i know what a nice kitchen setup costs, - and most people just buy the stuff for the looks (and thats fine - but i'm a "buy once, cry once" type of guy ) -- most of the customers i deal with maybe use their gorgeous 48 and 60" ranges maybe twice a year --- i guarantee i will use mine almost every day on the flipside

Dont know if you've had to do with my West Coast bretheren or not for storm remodels or anything, but working with nice homes gave me my champagne wishes -- Mine is a complete new construction, but i have been buying closeouts and relying heavy on my rolodex of contractor aquaintance for a lot of work ---- but the "buy once-cry once" mentality gets expensive. Travertine and 3/4" oak throughout plus custom moldings and fixtures ----I live on a small acreage so the damn driveway was 430' x 12' of concrete --- i have been writing checks in 20k intervals on a regular basis

Bikes and cycling trips are my getaway-- in reality, a 5 or 6000$ or more bicycle is pretty darn cheap compared to building a home , --- but on the flip side, i will likely get a lot more use out of a decent driveway and a nice range - - My late model Cannondale Synapse is kind of like a Frigidaire compared to the upper tier Colnago's - which are Wolf's , --- but the cheap stuff tends to keep plugging away just fine

Thanks for the offer on the shoutout -- i may PM you someday --

Last edited by DMC707; 12-02-15 at 12:33 AM.
Old 12-02-15, 01:41 AM

Bikes: Casati, Look, Torelli, Ridley, and a bunch of steel bikes from the 80s and the 90s..

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thats some serious eye candy ---

I'm an insurance adjuster so i get to pay for this stuff when tornadoes and floods take it away, --- so i know what a nice kitchen setup costs, - and most people just buy the stuff for the looks (and thats fine - but i'm a "buy once, cry once" type of guy ) -- most of the customers i deal with maybe use their gorgeous 48 and 60" ranges maybe twice a year --- i guarantee i will use mine almost every day on the flipside

Dont know if you've had to do with my West Coast bretheren or not for storm remodels or anything, but working with nice homes gave me my champagne wishes -- Mine is a complete new construction, but i have been buying closeouts and relying heavy on my rolodex of contractor aquaintance for a lot of work ---- but the "buy once-cry once" mentality gets expensive. Travertine and 3/4" oak throughout plus custom moldings and fixtures ----I live on a small acreage so the damn driveway was 430' x 12' of concrete --- i have been writing checks in 20k intervals on a regular basis

Bikes and cycling trips are my getaway-- in reality, a 5 or 6000$ or more bicycle is pretty darn cheap compared to building a home , --- but on the flip side, i will likely get a lot more use out of a decent driveway and a nice range - - My late model Cannondale Synapse is kind of like a Frigidaire compared to the upper tier Colnago's - which are Wolf's , --- but the cheap stuff tends to keep plugging away just fine

Thanks for the offer on the shoutout -- i may PM you someday --
Wow, sounds like a fun job. Plus, you get to buy out all the high end stoves and such. Hunt for a 48" Sub-zero would be nice. Hey, now it time for those contractors to scratch your back.

I don't do any storm or earthquake work nor do we work with any insurance companies. Most of our clients are the Hollyweird crowd. Demanding, with a few bucks to spend. PITA sometimes, but we deal with the good and the bad. Some are actually really nice folks. We just installed a 48" Wolf range for some lady who works for JPL. Beautiful range, but sure its not cheap. My vendor always say to me with a big smile, "Back for some more adults toys?" He knows I will write a 35k check for appliance without thinking about it. I am dang good at spending money that isn't mine. Spend money on the house, that's why we work so darn hard. It will make your family very happy. BTY, that's a long and expen$ive driveway.

Tell you the truth, between the Cannondale and the Colnago would be a real toss-up if you ask me. I raced on a CADD 3 for a couple of years and love the thing (no more fillings left). But then again, I have ridden the latest and the greatest on both brands. My old Masterlight rode pretty nice too.
Old 12-02-15, 07:41 AM
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 2609 Post(s)
Liked 1,708 Times in 938 Posts
I almost got sucked in by over zealous ebay enthusiasm tonight
There are many times I've gotten invested in something I *wanted* on eBay, or here, for that matter.

Most of the times when I've thought about it- I could let it go and be good. Then there's the stuff that is there... you've got the project for it, you've got the money, but you don't *need* it. And you pass. Actively pass on it. Then you keep kicking yourself because at some point you *need* it.

*sigh*

BTW- Kitchen Aid is pretty fancy for my cooking abilities.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 12-02-15, 08:31 AM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3915 Post(s)
Liked 4,876 Times in 2,250 Posts
Colnagos with too many stickers are not very attractive.
Colnagos with pretty paint and fewer stickers are beautiful, and there are plenty of examples out there.
Old 12-02-15, 09:37 AM

Bikes: Colnago EP with Campy chorus

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Too bad this frame is a bit too big for me otherwise I would've put in a serious bid . I have a Colnago EP in Mapei color and would love to add this frame to my stable .
Old 12-02-15, 10:20 AM

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 377 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
This is a joke, right? I mean, the emperor's new clothes, right?

That is one exceptionally ugly bike frame.
I am very happy for the original poster and his victory. I agree, Colnago has the worst aesthetics of any bike i can think of. This is a good example of that.
Old 12-02-15, 02:17 PM
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,303 Times in 869 Posts
Originally Posted by embankmentlb
I am very happy for the original poster and his victory. I agree, Colnago has the worst aesthetics of any bike i can think of. This is a good example of that.

You're right, it just doesn't look right without decal-emblazoned, deep carbon wheel rims!

Still not my cup of tea though! "Look at me" doesn't always translate to "I look good", simple as that.

It might appeal to those emulating the pros who ride all kinds of billboard-style, clutter-embellished bikes however.
Old 12-02-15, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by dddd
You're right, it just doesn't look right without decal-emblazoned, deep carbon wheel rims!

Still not my cup of tea though! "Look at me" doesn't always translate to "I look good", simple as that.

It might appeal to those emulating the pros who ride all kinds of billboard-style, clutter-embellished bikes however.

LOL -- you guys' hit the nail on the head - I have a set of 80mm Zipps and a mostly complete Campy Chorus groupset from that frame's era that i had visions of going on there when i started the bididng process

I got a little sucked in when i saw the thread about Bradley Wiggins' bike collection consisting of mostly race bikes from the Big Mig era up till now --- i guess i thought "Hey! I gotta get me one of those !" --- I cannot discount being under the influence of 6 or 7 Shiner Bocks at the time as well . I do actually like the paint schemes on the old Mapei and Rabobank team bikes though
Old 12-02-15, 03:37 PM

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 2,203 Times in 567 Posts
The frame/fork is rather garish, but it's got nothing on Oscar Freire's shorts.

Photo credit: Sunada.

(Can't recall the last time I noticed a pro without gloves, btw.)
Old 12-02-15, 03:42 PM

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 377 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd

Hopefully they fired the airbrush artist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
col.jpg (102.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 12-02-15, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by gaucho777
The frame/fork is rather garish, but it's got nothing on Oscar Freire's shorts.
Freire won worlds in '99 and '01 , so that pic is either from '00 or '02 ----- man, such a sweet looking ride to my eyes - Great pic !
Old 12-02-15, 06:41 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by embankmentlb
Hopefully they fired the airbrush artist.
Hey, I got one just like it but soon (at least in the plan) to be paint it to a color of my choice without the Colnago decal anywhere on the bike. The paint job on it its perfect.

I am having problem posting pics I love to show it to you guys
Old 12-02-15, 06:44 PM

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 2,879 Times in 1,571 Posts
Originally Posted by Italuminium
One of the prettiest carbon bikes ever made. Which is, like, the least bad venereal disease.
my prediction is this post will will live on in quotes for a while

Last edited by squirtdad; 12-02-15 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-02-15, 09:58 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
here it is

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Old 12-02-15, 10:09 PM
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1303 Post(s)
Quoted: 4699 Post(s)
Liked 5,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Originally Posted by RFC
I can't believe you guys are still b******g about lycra. I've been riding in Lycra 5 days a week for more than 40 years. Now that's vintage!
Pics (current!) or it didn't happen!
Old 12-02-15, 10:10 PM
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1303 Post(s)
Quoted: 4699 Post(s)
Liked 5,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
my prediction is this post will will live on in quotes for a while
I, for one, plan on using it at least every other month.
Old 12-02-15, 10:32 PM

I love that! -- But then again, i already admitted i like the loud paint schemes ! Cyclart or Wanta painting can tone it down for ya for sure
Old 12-03-15, 12:06 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have used JB before. My problem is getting my fat azz of the ground and drop the bike off and get going. Too many projects going on in my life and still trying to ride twice a week so I can finish our weekly training ride. Once wed and the big ride on Sat. The building of our second house has put even more of a burden on my schedule.

It will be toned down to a single tomato color. The first wheel suck in my group ride as a kid was behind this Colnago. An ugly tomato color with yellow lettering. The yellow lettering will be my company's name on the down tube this time around. Now I just need to get off my fat butt and get it going.
Old 12-03-15, 12:11 AM

I have used JB before. My problem is getting my fat azz of the ground and drop the bike off and get going. Too many projects going on in my life and still trying to ride twice a week so I can finish our weekly training ride. Once wed and the big ride on Sat. The building of our second house has put even more of a burden on my schedule.

It will be toned down to a single tomato color. The first wheel suck in my group ride as a kid was behind this Colnago. An ugly tomato color with yellow lettering. The yellow lettering will be my company's name on the down tube this time around. Now I just need to get off my fat butt and get it going.
A-Hah!!!!!! Now its a tax write off for advertising expenses! You have just given me a wonderful idea!
Old 12-03-15, 12:46 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I never thought about that. I just don't feeling having to explain to the tax man.
Old 12-03-15, 12:47 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey, got ont even better. Painting that Colnago is a sure way to lose value, and pay to get it painted with company name. Its a double whammer.
Old 12-03-15, 01:01 AM
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 993 Times in 492 Posts
But as i was turning in, my ever supportive wife told me , "I cant wait till the trails dry out and it gets a little warmer so you can get out riding more and buying less" --- she's right, the boredom of the cold weather months wreaks havoc with the pocketbook
damn, you just pegged me.
Old 12-03-15, 12:55 PM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked 988 Times in 636 Posts
Not so sure. As winter arrives the deals tend to get better and better. One of my best deals was in January on a Colnago. Turned out I was the only response.