Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

So much resistance to change

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

So much resistance to change

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-23, 11:44 AM

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3564 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Big road tires are supposed to have less rolling resistance. But that only happens when they are inflated well above what anyone would ride them at. The lowest rolling resistance tire to date remains a skin wall 23c.
Can you give me a cite for this? Might come in handy the next time I get into it about running my 700 x 23 Veloflexes at 140 psi.
Old 01-14-23, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4524 Post(s)
Liked 1,664 Times in 1,092 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Can you give me a cite for this? Might come in handy the next time I get into it about running my 700 x 23 Veloflexes at 140 psi.
Why would you ride 23s at 140psi? Do you weigh 320 lbs?

All tires have an ideal pressure for the load they are carrying. Inflate above that and the measured rolling resistance goes down, but the actual street rolling resistance goes up because the tire won't conform. In rolling resistance tests that I've seen posted on this site and others, rolling resistance at realistic pressures favor tires in the 23-25c range, while larger tires have lower rolling resistance only when inflated well above recommended pressures for rider weight.

I've never been able to ride more than a couple miles on Veloflexes without a puncture.
Old 01-14-23, 12:11 PM

Why would you ride 23s at 140psi?
Because they feel awesome?
Old 01-14-23, 12:12 PM
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,489 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
You actually said it was their ONLY advantage. The other poster pointed out other advantages.
I've been using disc brakes long enough to know that there are other minor advantages besides just preventing rim wear which is the main advantage of discs... Maybe I should of been more clear and used the word MAIN instead of the word ONLY, it would of saved a lot of unnecessary arguing.
Old 01-14-23, 12:14 PM

“Have.”
Old 01-14-23, 12:17 PM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 3980 Post(s)
Liked 7,430 Times in 2,988 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I've been using disc brakes long enough to know that there are other minor advantages besides just preventing rim wear which is the main advantage of discs... Maybe I should of been more clear and used the word MAIN instead of the word ONLY, it would of saved a lot of unnecessary arguing.
Yeah, it would definitely save a lot of unnecessary arguing if you didn't make statements that were FALSE. But, in this case, changing "only" to "main" isn't going to help you - it's still a false statement.
Old 01-14-23, 12:17 PM
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,489 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
This thread started being “off the rails” with the first post.

It wasn’t even a train.
If it wasn't a train, it must of been a recumbent that caused a wreck.
Old 01-14-23, 12:18 PM

"Have" ... again
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-14-23, 12:20 PM

Just like ultra stiff frames.
Old 01-14-23, 12:21 PM
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Ceramic bearings, normally only valued for high rpm/temperature applications are considered valuable to cyclists.
Very few cyclists consider ceramic bearings valuable. Rather I should say only the gullible cyclists believe ceramic bearings are valuable.

Big road tires are supposed to have less rolling resistance. But that only happens when they are inflated well above what anyone would ride them at. The lowest rolling resistance tire to date remains a skin wall 23c.
Wrong. Maybe on a test in a controlled environment like those drums that bicyclerollingresistance.com uses. But real world conditions are very rarely like that. It is now known that the sweet spot is around 28-30mm for road tires. I will copy and paste what KerryIrons , a very experienced rider wrote over in RBR:

"Not what the data show in the real world (not on lab rollers). Suggest you get a subscription to Bicycle Quarterly and learn about the extensive research in this area. They have been leaders in providing the field data that has led to the transition from 19-21 mm tires to 28-30 mm tires in the pro peloton. Of course there is a weight penalty for ever-bigger tires and that shows up when you are constantly jumping speeds, though that extra energy is returned to the rider because heavier wheels/tires don't slow down as fast when you let off on the pedal pressure. Wider tires have different pneumatic trail and so there comes a point where the bike needs to be designed differently to get the best performance on wider tires."
Old 01-14-23, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Lombard
Very few cyclists consider ceramic bearings valuable. Rather I should say only the gullible cyclists believe ceramic bearings are valuable.
Valuable? I like’em. Swapped out the steel balls in my Dura Ace hubs. They’re way lighter and smoother. What’s not to like?
Old 01-14-23, 12:28 PM

Wrong. Maybe on a test in a controlled environment like those drums that bicyclerollingresistance.com uses. But real world conditions are very rarely like that. It is now known that the sweet spot is around 28-30mm for road tires. I will copy and paste what KerryIrons , a very experienced rider wrote over in RBR:

"Not what the data show in the real world (not on lab rollers). Suggest you get a subscription to Bicycle Quarterly and learn about the extensive research in this area. They have been leaders in providing the field data that has led to the transition from 19-21 mm tires to 28-30 mm tires in the pro peloton. Of course there is a weight penalty for ever-bigger tires and that shows up when you are constantly jumping speeds, though that extra energy is returned to the rider because heavier wheels/tires don't slow down as fast when you let off on the pedal pressure. Wider tires have different pneumatic trail and so there comes a point where the bike needs to be designed differently to get the best performance on wider tires."
Jan Heine of Bicycle Quarterly both originated and retracted his findings on ideal tire size, later attributing rolling resistance to sidewall suppleness rather than volume.

My informal testing is that lots of tire sizes can conform very nicely to the road if they don't have to do all the work. Ultra stiff rims and ultra stiff disc forks transmit much more road chatter than what they replaced.

The rolling resistance problem with big tires is that a greater amount of tire surface area is involved in flexing for the contact patch, and that larger area changing shape means more energy loss to plastic deformation.

I do like the argument that everything should be heavier, though. Anyone ever heard of unsprung weight in a suspension system?

Last edited by Kontact; 01-14-23 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-14-23, 12:29 PM

I think everyone is aware that road condition plays a huge role in determining the best tire width for lowest rolling resistance, and that wider tires are often the best choice. But, let's not go crazy and cite "the extensive research" done by Bicycle Quarterly. That is about as far from real research as you can get.
Old 01-14-23, 12:49 PM
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

My informal testing is that lots of tire sizes can conform very nicely to the road if they don't have to do all the work. Ultra stiff rims and ultra stiff disc forks transmit much more road chatter than what they replaced.
Your "informal testing" is wrong. Tires contribute way more to ride compliance than frame, fork or wheels. If informal testing is a valid argument, I can vouch from my informal testing that there is no perceived difference in speed between 23mm and 28mm tires, but the 28mm tires are way more comfortable. Using the 28's is a no-brainer for me. I would even go up to 32mm if my road frame could fit them.

The rolling resistance problem with big tires is that a greater amount of tire surface area is involved in flexing for the contact patch, and that larger area changing shape means more energy loss to plastic deformation.
You have this backwards. The wider contact patch actually causes the tire to have less rolling resistance.
Old 01-14-23, 12:51 PM
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I think everyone is aware that road condition plays a huge role in determining the best tire width for lowest rolling resistance, and that wider tires are often the best choice. But, let's not go crazy and cite "the extensive research" done by Bicycle Quarterly. That is about as far from real research as you can get.
So then what do you define as "real research"? I certainly don't consider tests on a lab drum real research.
Old 01-14-23, 12:53 PM

So then what do you define as "real research"? I certainly don't consider tests on a lab drum real research.
I don't want to turn this into a discussion of JH and his testing methods.
Old 01-14-23, 12:59 PM
Sock Puppet

I don't want to turn this into a discussion of JH and his testing methods.
Of course not. Carry on.
Old 01-14-23, 01:30 PM

Of course not. Carry on.
Look, I agree with your position on the tires, but I don't think BQ is a good source to support it. Start another thread if you want to discuss BQ and JH, but I don't want to do it in this thread.
Old 01-14-23, 01:32 PM

Your "informal testing" is wrong. Tires contribute way more to ride compliance than frame, fork or wheels. If informal testing is a valid argument, I can vouch from my informal testing that there is no perceived difference in speed between 23mm and 28mm tires, but the 28mm tires are way more comfortable. Using the 28's is a no-brainer for me. I would even go up to 32mm if my road frame could fit them.

You have this backwards. The wider contact patch actually causes the tire to have less rolling resistance.
My testing was comfort testing - a direct measure of the transmission of road vibration to the rider.

You misunderstood my post. The contact patch is formed by the deflection of the sidewall. More patch means more deflection. The measure of this is hysteresis, which in tests increases with tire volume given the same percentage tire compression. All things Bicycle Quarterly talks about and says is true.

Point being, none of this stuff about tires is science. Heine's tests aren't controlled enough and lab tests aren't realistic enough. But the current assumptions about rolling resistance are based on suppositions from people like Jan that have changed their minds over time, and misreading of data at fixed PSI. The whole topic ends up being as fact based as acupuncture - maybe it helps, maybe it doesn't - but there is no real scientific data that has any surety to it.

And I'm not suggesting everyone should be running 23s. I'm saying that the right 23s on a reasonably maintained road can be the fastest overall choice - confounding the predictions of those pushing 30c tires. Low hysteresis combined with the minimum necessary suspension effect equals lowest total friction losses. But neither of us is riding in the TdF, so our tire selections don't have to be predicated on ultimate efficiency. I just don't enjoy seeing supposition parading as known science. That whole approach started to boom after Sheldon Brown published Damon Rinard's BB deflection tests - which were based on the completely theoretical idea that stiff bikes transmit force better. But I've talked to Rinard and he agrees that most of these things start with a guess, not a principle.
Old 01-14-23, 01:35 PM

Look, I agree with your position on the tires, but I don't think BQ is a good source to support it. Start another thread if you want to discuss BQ and JH, but I don't want to do it in this thread.
Yeah, this thread is really sticking on topic. Valiant of you to speak up for its virtue.
Old 01-14-23, 01:39 PM

Yeah, this thread is really sticking on topic. Valiant of you to speak up for its virtue.
It's very odd to be criticized for not wanting to go off on a completely unrelated tangent.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-14-23, 01:51 PM

It's very odd to be criticized for not wanting to go off on a completely unrelated tangent.
It is odd to criticize unrelated tangents in a thread full of them.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 01-14-23, 01:52 PM
Sock Puppet

My testing was comfort testing - a direct measure of the transmission of road vibration to the rider.

You misunderstood my post. The contact patch is formed by the deflection of the sidewall. More patch means more deflection. The measure of this is hysteresis, which in tests increases with tire volume given the same percentage tire compression. All things Bicycle Quarterly talks about and says is true.

Point being, none of this stuff about tires is science. Heine's tests aren't controlled enough and lab tests aren't realistic enough. But the current assumptions about rolling resistance are based on suppositions from people like Jan that have changed their minds over time, and misreading of data at fixed PSI. The whole topic ends up being as fact based as acupuncture - maybe it helps, maybe it doesn't - but there is no real scientific data that has any surety to it.

And I'm not suggesting everyone should be running 23s. I'm saying that the right 23s on a reasonably maintained road can be the fastest overall choice - confounding the predictions of those pushing 30c tires. Low hysteresis combined with the minimum necessary suspension effect equals lowest total friction losses. But neither of us is riding in the TdF, so our tire selections don't have to be predicated on ultimate efficiency. I just don't enjoy seeing supposition parading as known science. That whole approach started to boom after Sheldon Brown published Damon Rinard's BB deflection tests - which were based on the completely theoretical idea that stiff bikes transmit force better. But I've talked to Rinard and he agrees that most of these things start with a guess, not a principle.
I wasn't arguing BB stiffness. You were. Yes, most riders like the feel of a stiff BB, but to say that makes one faster? Nope. That one was debunked awhile ago.

So tell me. if 23s are the fastest overall choice, why is the pro peloton riding 28s and 30s?
Old 01-14-23, 02:02 PM

I wasn't arguing BB stiffness. You were. Yes, most riders like the feel of a stiff BB, but to say that makes one faster? Nope. That one was debunked awhile ago.

So tell me. if 23s are the fastest overall choice, why is the pro peloton riding 28s and 30s?
Why did the pro peloton ride Campy back when Shimano worked better and was lighter?
Why did the pro peloton remain celibate during the racing season?
Why is the pro peloton experimenting with zero setback seat positions?
Why did the pro peloton paint aluminum and carbon bikes to look like steel sponsor bikes?
Why did the pro peloton only recently start using low climbing gears when winning riders used triples in the '70s?
Why did the pro peloton resist aero bars?
Why is the (undoped) pro peloton no faster than it was in the early '90s or even the early '80s?

Do you think pros have access to any different data or biases than you do? It's bike racing, not aerospace.

Last edited by Kontact; 01-14-23 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-14-23, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7065 Post(s)
Liked 11,140 Times in 4,753 Posts
Why would you ride 23s at 140psi?
smh.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.