Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Carbo-Loading XXXV

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-18, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18487 Post(s)
Liked 15,782 Times in 7,409 Posts
The snow stopped a while ago, and one of the neighbors later cleared much of my sidewalk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0419.jpg (1.26 MB, 108 views)
Old 03-07-18, 07:08 PM
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I don't want to live in a place where people know to stick their windshield wipers up in the air.
Old 03-07-18, 09:05 PM
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Just got back from a week in Floriduh, and the flight back was 4 hours late due to bad weather in New England.

Back on the trainer. I am toying with the idea of getting a dedicated laptop from fleaBay to use with Zwift, just to cut a few more steps from setting up to ride.

My wife shows me a picture of some sort of sports car - she says if we win the lottery she will buy it for me, but she would want to drive it. I said I would just sell it and buy a really nice bike .
Old 03-07-18, 09:40 PM
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by ericy
Just got back from a week in Floriduh, and the flight back was 4 hours late due to bad weather in New England.

Back on the trainer. I am toying with the idea of getting a dedicated laptop from fleaBay to use with Zwift, just to cut a few more steps from setting up to ride.

My wife shows me a picture of some sort of sports car - she says if we win the lottery she will buy it for me, but she would want to drive it. I said I would just sell it and buy a really nice bike .
Get one with a good, dedicated graphics card or you will probably hate it. Or just get apple TV and go that route - it's not perfect but it's good enough for government work and it's very inexpensive relatively speaking.
Old 03-07-18, 09:54 PM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I did my Zwifting on an iPhone SE ported to an ancient 32" TV via a shoddy Chinese HDMI adapter. Performed well, aside from PS2 quality graphics. Apple TV seems the way to go unless you already have a beefy laptop around to run Zwift on it.
Old 03-08-18, 07:41 AM
Señor Member

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Get one with a good, dedicated graphics card or you will probably hate it. Or just get apple TV and go that route - it's not perfect but it's good enough for government work and it's very inexpensive relatively speaking.
I am currently using a different laptop which is actually below the minimum spec, so that part I am not worried about. The only problem with that laptop is that I use it for multiple purposes, and to get started I need to haul it upstairs together with the power adapter. Something like my work laptop would probably work well - I could just take that model number and look for a used one of those (it has a nVidia GPU, in addition to the basic Intel graphics).

We have no Apple products in our house. If I went that route, I would be worried about all kinds of horrible compatibility problems that can only be solved by purchasing additional Apple products. And for that matter, I would need a different stand - right now I just have a sort of laptop stand by the handlebars - a TV would require a different way of mounting things.
Old 03-08-18, 03:03 PM
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
The apple TV is super small....I only use it for Zwift at moment. It has HDMI cable running from it to TV. Simple. Tho there is the one thing of number of blue tooth connections allowed. THREE and remote uses ONE and you cannot change that. SO if you have more devices to hook up you have to use ZML as a bridge or the 4III HR strap or get CABLE device. I have the CABLE and it works most of the time well. ZML for me is not always working so I have stopped trying to use that as bridge. Zwift doesn't seem to use cadence for any of it's metrics (ie speed in game) so if I don't feel like watching my avatar stop pedaling due to dropping cadence periodically, I will just hook up the KICKR and TICKR to ATV and go. If I want to have cadence for my own use then I use CABLE and might use my Garmin HR strap as TICKR seems to not play nice with CABLE.

Technology is so fun
Old 03-08-18, 05:03 PM
Señor Member

Originally Posted by Beachgrad05
The apple TV is super small....I only use it for Zwift at moment. It has HDMI cable running from it to TV. Simple. Tho there is the one thing of number of blue tooth connections allowed. THREE and remote uses ONE and you cannot change that. SO if you have more devices to hook up you have to use ZML as a bridge or the 4III HR strap or get CABLE device. I have the CABLE and it works most of the time well. ZML for me is not always working so I have stopped trying to use that as bridge. Zwift doesn't seem to use cadence for any of it's metrics (ie speed in game) so if I don't feel like watching my avatar stop pedaling due to dropping cadence periodically, I will just hook up the KICKR and TICKR to ATV and go. If I want to have cadence for my own use then I use CABLE and might use my Garmin HR strap as TICKR seems to not play nice with CABLE.
To really make that work, I would not only need to buy an Apple TV, but I would need to buy a TV *and* a tripod stand that can support the monitor. And using ZML as a bridge sounds like a pain - that app routinely craps out on my during my rides, but since it isn't in the critical path, it is a very minor nuisance and I can just keep riding.

There are video benchmarks out there - units are "PassMark". The higher the better - top of the line maxes out at around 15000 or so.
  • My current laptop has Intel HD 3000 - passmark is 314.
  • The minimum spec according to Zwift is an Intel HD 4000 - passmark 455.
  • My work laptop has an odd hybrid beast it has HD graphics 4600, but it *also* has NVidia Quadro K2100M. Not all such instances of that model have this, but the passmark for this is 1302.
  • I have a PC downstairs that has a GTX 970, that has a passmark of 8581. It would be a nuisance to move it to where I have the trainer however, and it would make the thing unusable for much other than driving Zwift. It would be respectable however, but it throws off some heat when it is running.
The tricky bit is that it is common to have two video 'cards' as it were in laptops. One is slower and uses less power which helps with the battery, and a higher performance one that can interoperate with the slow one, which can be used only for those apps that need the video performance. But this sort of thing is usually optional, and unless the seller knows how to spec the thing when they write the description, you can't really tell what the machine really has.

At the moment I am toying with the idea of an older gaming laptop from fleaBay. But I haven't found anything that excites me, and I might change my mind tomorrow ,
Old 03-17-18, 04:53 PM

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Got in a few miles today taking advantage of the warmer weather (mid 50s). https://www.strava.com/activities/1458197967

I am glad for the new bib tights my wife bought me (Endura with the wind resistant front panels).
Old 03-17-18, 06:34 PM
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

I had a tough day on my ride. First got a piece of wire stuck in rear tire causing a flat about 4 miles into ride Unlike me I didn’t have two tubes with me and only two CO2. Typically I carry 2 tubes and 3 CO2. I have deep carbon rims so normal valve stems are too short. Anyway...

Continue on and climbing is tough but I just figure it’s me. (Later when I put floor pump on the rear tire was way under inflated). At some point I hit a bump hard and not long after front wheel felt sloppy. It was going flat.

As mentioned before I’m out of stuff. One of team members was riding with me at that point and he had a tube but minimal CO2 remaining in cartridge as he’d had a flat earlier. Another rider (one of our sweeps for the day) stopped and he had pump. (Yes I know for emergencies I should carry one). Well the tube had standard length stem. It barely poked out enough. We put what CO2 in that was left. Pump was only getting tire to about 60 psi and no more. So I told them to go on and I would call for Uber.

Had Uber take me to Jax bike shop in Laguna Niguel which wasn’t too far from where I got the flat at Oso Parkway and I5 fwy. Bought 3 tubes with 60mm valve stem. Put the new tube on front wheel. Used shop floor pump on both tires as rear felt squishy too. Tho it should have been ok. I will see tomorrow as I had “help” changing tubes and I fear a small puncture from pinch). Bought 3 CO2 and put them in seat bag along with the two tubes left. Had my Garmin set route to get back to my car 10 miles away in Irvine. Off I went...,

I made it .8 miles when I heard a loud noise as this happened:

Destroyed the wheel. I walked back to shop as it is sister shop to the one I bought bike from mostly to show them as I was just there not more than 10 min or so earlier. No, there wasn’t anything they could do but I wanted there to be witnesses that everything seemed fine when I was there and I wasn’t riding crazy to cause issue.

Got Uber to my car in Irvine and drove back to my area and dropped wheel off at LBS I used to work for. They will contact FSA on Monday.

Last edited by Beachgrad05; 03-17-18 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-17-18, 07:00 PM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
^^^ this is the reason that I'm actually thankful I can't afford (or justify) carbon rims. My Kinlin XR31 hoops are so stiff, I had a spoke completely de-tension and the wheel didn't even go out of true. I could hear the spoke jingling around. Above and far beyond that: no tubes for me again, ever. 100% tubeless for life. I saw probably a dozen people get flats on my ride today, and I barely saw any people-- I spent probably 80% completely solo, unable to see riders ahead of or behind me. And the route I rode had ~150 registered riders. So I cut it short and went home. If it hadn't cost me 50 bucks, it would have been a damn fine ride. Instead it was a sometimes grueling, but fair-to-middlin' Saturday morning.

(Some) Strada Rossa 2018

Staggered Gravelkings (43mm front, 38mm rear) were brilliant all day, even in peanut-buttery muck. Ran 42F/52R and it was excellent off road, and rolled pretty well on road. Still getting used to a front tire that smooshy.
Old 03-18-18, 09:49 AM

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I'm so ready for spring...this winter has been the coldest I've noticed in at least a DECADE! Snow, I can handle, at least I can do stuff outside but the bitter wind chills? All I want to do is sit inside in front of the idiot box and eat!

That said, it's currently 18 degrees (WC of 1 degree) and my soon to be 12 y/o daughter is up at the school track running laps in prep for track season in a few weeks. Maybe I'm just getting soft as I get older?
Old 03-18-18, 02:10 PM

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 87 Posts
I had a tough day on my ride.

Got Uber to my car in Irvine and drove back to my area and dropped wheel off at LBS I used to work for. They will contact FSA on Monday.
Ugh, talk about an "adventure". Good luck with FSA.
Old 03-18-18, 06:16 PM
Just Keep Pedaling

I hope the will warranty the wheel and give me new one. One of the shop employees at the Laguna Niguel store showed me a photo of same wheels that had to be warrantied. Interesting that Trek went with Bontrager wheels on the model after this instead of these wheels which makes me wonder.
Old 03-19-18, 08:39 AM

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Got the bike back from it's overhaul, managed to finagle a spare trainer wheel with cassette for around $70 from my LBS after he did my overhaul. I'm super pleased with this shop. As it turns out, my wife was with me when I went to pick up the bike and new wheel (which I didn't want, because the overhaul, two new cassettes, a new tire and a new wheel cost more than I anticipated to spend and I didn't want her to hear the total LOL), and we were making small talk with the owner. Turns out she knows people he knows (we live in a small town) and he started to tell us about life changes he made, cutting back sodas, quitting drinking, etc and then my wife started talking about the changes she's making (she's down 11 pounds and I'm super proud of her at this point).

Anyway, she mentioned that her original reward at goal weight was going to be a diamond, but then she rethought that and wants a road bike so that we can ride together. Which of course thrills me to no end. And he casually mentioned he took a Trek frame in on trade, and built it up with new/used goodies, that would fit her. Her eyes got wide and we asked him to show it to us.

Same year as mine, same model (1.2) in the Women's Specific Design and a price that was absolutely fair given it's state and recent updgrades.

After thinking about it I texted him this morning and told him we'll take it. I pick it up tomorrow. Wife is already peppering me with questions about riding.

I'm pretty geeked.

Is it N+1 if it gets your wife riding with you?
Old 03-19-18, 09:50 AM
Just Keep Pedaling

Originally Posted by ill.clyde
Anyway, she mentioned that her original reward at goal weight was going to be a diamond, but then she rethought that and wants a road bike so that we can ride together. Which of course thrills me to no end. And he casually mentioned he took a Trek frame in on trade, and built it up with new/used goodies, that would fit her. Her eyes got wide and we asked him to show it to us.

Wife is already peppering me with questions about riding.

I am super happy for you! My husband has absolutely ZERO interest in joining me riding a bike.
Old 03-19-18, 11:07 AM
Señor Member

I am super happy for you! My husband has absolutely ZERO interest in joining me riding a bike.
My wife is more into tennis, but on a nice day she will go along with me. But given that she is a casual and occasional rider, she won't do the longer rides..
Old 03-19-18, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18487 Post(s)
Liked 15,782 Times in 7,409 Posts
Another storm on its way. How much snow is still up in the air (no pun intended).
Old 03-19-18, 01:07 PM
Just Keep Pedaling

Call from LBS - want my rear wheel too as FSA wants both sent to them to examine. Hoping for quick turn around on determination of warranty. Hope they don't try to F with me. The bike and wheels have less than 1000 miles on them.

Last edited by Beachgrad05; 03-19-18 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-19-18, 01:38 PM
Señor Member

Call from LBS - want my rear wheel too as FSA wants both sent to them to examine. Hoping for quick turn around on determination of warranty. Hope they don't try to F with me. The bike and wheels have less than 1000 miles on them.
Better safe than sorry, I guess. I assume you have other bikes to ride in the meantime.
Old 03-19-18, 02:05 PM
Just Keep Pedaling

Originally Posted by ericy
Better safe than sorry, I guess. I assume you have other bikes to ride in the meantime.
Thankfully yes. I will take the Domane off the trainer. I have spare wheels but not ones with 11 spd hubs otherwise I could swap tires and cassette onto them. Both my spare wheel sets came off previous bikes. I keep intending to put them up for sale.
Old 03-19-18, 02:46 PM
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by ill.clyde

Of course not! It's great for spares too.
Old 03-21-18, 09:05 AM

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Not mine ... but let's consider this a family N+1

Apologies for the messy disaster of my home office. I've been swamped with work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20180320_180518.jpg (511.9 KB, 47 views)
Old 03-21-18, 09:42 AM

Bikes: Kona Lana'i, Cannondale CAADX Disk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice looking bike
Old 03-22-18, 02:26 PM
Just Keep Pedaling

So dropped my rear wheel off at LBS on Tue and guessing they shipped them out yesterday. I spoke to my contact who use to be my boss there when I worked there and he said that FSA said they would replace the wheel but when he asked them to ship the new wheel and the damaged one would be shipped out to them they said no. They wanted both wheels sent to them first.

I have a support ticket into Stages for my power meter that I have had since 2014. It is not staying connected to my Garmin. Battery is fine and so is the firmware. I start things up and Garmin sees it, I calibrate and then poof within a short time I lose the connection and cannot get it to reconnect. When it does that Strava sees power then 0 power like I was coasting all the time and says I burned either 0 calores or extremely minimal calories depending on how long the meter stayed connected. This meter happens to be on the bike with the wheel issue so getting that sorted while my wheels are out of commission.

Need to put new tire on my rear wheel for Domane. Been meaning to but have not felt rushed to do it since I had the Emonda to ride and the Domane was on trainer with wheel off. At least wheel is already off the bike. Hahahaha. I have spare tire already to go as well. Riding to Solana Beach on Saturday with The Unlikely Cyclist from Irvine and riding Amtrak back. Hoping weather improves before Saturday. Right now it looks like it will be 50's/60's but no rain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.