Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New to cycling, 50 mile ride

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New to cycling, 50 mile ride

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-18, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jbell_64
I love the appalachicola nf was the state forest tates hell?
Blackwater State Forest and whatever NF is in southern Bama.
Old 05-23-18, 05:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed

Just to clarify, my Garmin only times rolling miles, it pauses at stop lights, coffee stops, etc.
how do you set the Garmin to auto pause? Mine has been recording at stoplights and everything.

and I don’t care enough to take to the internet and “Scam” anyone. If you don’t believe me, I’ll take a picture of my Edge following the next 57 mile loop I do and message it to you. I’m not posting any threads on here ever again...too many people get upset.
Old 05-23-18, 06:41 PM

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I have a Garmin 810. I think Auto Pause is the default. I hit "Setup", "Activity Profiles", "External Profles". Page down to "Auto Pause", click on it and you can choose "Off, When stopped, or Custom Speed". I just leave mine set on "When stopped". We have lots of long stop lights here.

I apologize for the "scam" comment. We need to be more supportive of each other. My bad.
Old 05-24-18, 03:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
I have a Garmin 810. I think Auto Pause is the default. I hit "Setup", "Activity Profiles", "External Profles". Page down to "Auto Pause", click on it and you can choose "Off, When stopped, or Custom Speed". I just leave mine set on "When stopped". We have lots of long stop lights here.

I apologize for the "scam" comment. We need to be more supportive of each other. My bad.

Thanks for the help. And no worries man, I wasn’t talking about you. I can tell when people are joking around...alright, gotta ride...beat the thunder storms!
Old 05-24-18, 08:19 AM
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Achilles0557

One of the most helpful responses, thank you. I put 28s on and gatorskinz for the toughness. I had two flats on my rear in the first week with bontrager R3s, 25s. My speed hasn’t gone down at all.

I have always wanted a road bike, so that is what I went with. Especially since I spend a lot of weekends camping up in the mountains, about 8 hours from me. I have the itch now. I’ve been going out now, knocking out a 20 mile ride, changing gear, then taking my MTB to the local trails.

anyways, thanks for the tips. I’ll google groups near me

Also, don't worry about it if it does happen. People I've come across have been very nice and encouraging.

I'm a racer that's in way over my head for my own good. I'm fit, but not special. I showed up to a local ride I thought I'd drop off from. I tried something dumb off the front just to see what would happen, failed, almost fell off the back. But when I had drifted back several guys were rooting the attempt and to hang on.

You'll get there. Also, if you start falling off, let people know. Often people will stick with you.

I've got a guy I ride with that we sometimes go Friday afternoon from work just the two of us. Last time out he had a bad day, it was hot. I was dropping him bad up a hill and after the hill. He didn't even make a sound, quiet as a mouse. I stopped at a stop sign and he was just gone for 2 minutes. When he caught up, I told him "dude, let me know next time and I'll wait up". I'd rather have the companionship than leave someone behind! Especially if I'm not racing around. I'd rather have a buddy to talk to and work with.
Old 05-24-18, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Achilles0557
As mentioned I’m new to cycling... I actually just picked up my new Emonda....mostly for commuting to work. I saw this video about people riding miles on end so decided to try it today solo. So i took off and did a fifty mile loop....I’m 31 yrs old, 6ft tall, 220lbs, and don’t usually do too much cardio. I finished in just under 3 hours without stopping...my question is, is a 17.2 mph Avg a little slow for a fifty mile ride? I want to get good enough where I can start riding with people and not slowing them down.
That is a good effort, especially for a first 50 mile ride on the road.

According to Bike Calculator - pancake flat with no stops and starts, assuming little to no wind as well - you averaged about 140 watts for 3 hours. That's very much believable for someone who's fit. At 6' 220lbs I'm guessing you hit the gym frequently.

Keep at it. If you want to average 20mph or faster over that same loop, you'll need to be putting out 220-230 watts average (or get in a paceline).
Old 05-24-18, 03:11 PM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Sometimes, just for a fleeting moment, I'm jealous of the pancake-flatness of places like Florida. I've had rides with average power 140-150w maybe a dozen times. I've had rides with average power +200w about 450 times. Because you know... hills.
Old 05-24-18, 03:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=burnthesheep;20357506]Also, don't worry about it if it does happen. People I've come across have been very nice and encouraging.

I'm a racer that's in way over my head for my own good. I'm fit, but not special. I showed up to a local ride I thought I'd drop off from. I tried something dumb off the front just to see what would happen, failed, almost fell off the back. But when I had drifted back several guys were rooting the attempt and to hang on.

You'll get there. Also, if you start falling off, let people know. Often people will stick with you.

I've got a guy I ride with that we sometimes go Friday afternoon from work just the two of us. Last time out he had a bad day, it was hot. I was dropping him bad up a hill and after the hill. He didn't even make a sound, quiet as a mouse. I stopped at a stop sign and he was just gone for 2 minutes. When he caught up, I told him "dude, let me know next time and I'll wait up". I'd rather have the companionship than leave someone behind! Especially if I'm not racing around. I'd rather have a buddy to talk to and wo

thanks man, this is the kind of help or advice I was looking for. I’m not on this forum to “brag” I’m looking for constructive criticism on what to look for in my future with this amazing sport/hobby. I’m not here to race, mostly tour...possibly long distance someday. I have a passion for life and enjoy seeing the world in self propelled vehicles, ie MTB, kayak, now road bike.
Old 05-24-18, 03:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Sometimes, just for a fleeting moment, I'm jealous of the pancake-flatness of places like Florida. I've had rides with average power 140-150w maybe a dozen times. I've had rides with average power +200w about 450 times. Because you know... hills.
yeah, it’s not bad, over a loop like this I climb a total of maybe 1500-2000 feet. If I’m able to hit this new loop this weekend, I’ll post the elevation gains
Old 05-24-18, 03:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by colombo357
That is a good effort, especially for a first 50 mile ride on the road.

According to Bike Calculator - pancake flat with no stops and starts, assuming little to no wind as well - you averaged about 140 watts for 3 hours. That's very much believable for someone who's fit. At 6' 220lbs I'm guessing you hit the gym frequently.

Keep at it. If you want to average 20mph or faster over that same loop, you'll need to be putting out 220-230 watts average (or get in a paceline).
Thanks for the work man, I appreciate you looking that stuff up. I’m not looking to be racer fast, I love the scenery and I love the exercise. And yeah, I go to the gym frequently, I’m trying to shed some body fat, hence the reason I’m taking up an additional hobby. I just didn’t know how addicting it would be!

Ill keep working at it. I was just under 20 on my 20 mile ride, but much more tired. So I’ll keep working and see what I can do, hopefully by the end of the year, I’ll be in cycling shape!