Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Brand New bike crashed

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Brand New bike crashed

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-21, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2501 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Curious lane positioning by a guy wearing asphalt colored clothing and burning a light for better visibility.
The black jersey was my uniform for a cross country ride sponsored by 42 Below vodka. I ride close to the traffic lane so that I am perceived as an obstacle to motorists. I ride with a mirror so that if a driver is over the line I can move over. I have found that if I cross into the traffic lane most drivers will move over. If not then I move back.
Could someone locate that rear camera video of the 55mph rear ending of a cyclist with a similar mindset? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-30-21, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot
... or FOR you if your atty is worth his 30-40%

Any legal counselor worth their fee would absolutely tell you to not be talkin' except to them.
Old 05-30-21, 04:46 PM

Bikes: Giant Escape Disc 1 Giant Revolt Pro 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Sticking to my guns, means I'm going to try & make them replace my bike. Why should I have to worry about future issues with the bike?

Last edited by mwatt65; 05-30-21 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-30-21, 06:07 PM
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2672 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 874 Posts
Originally Posted by Cpn_Dunsel
Any legal counselor worth their fee would absolutely tell you to not be talkin' except to them.
... so please explain how the OP would be harmed by telling the Ins co and the world an unexaggerated and factual account of the incident annnnnnnnd then explain why one should use a lawyer to get a new bike if the shop says his bike is good to go
Old 05-30-21, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by jack pot
... so please explain how the OP would be harmed by telling the Ins co and the world an unexaggerated and factual account of the incident annnnnnnnd then explain why one should use a lawyer to get a new bike if the shop says his bike is good to go
Comments such as "the shop says his bike is good to go" is an admission against interest. Insurance company will use those remarks to deny and/or limit the claim.

I never argued he should get a new bike, Perhaps you are confusing me with another user. I only offer that if one is going the litigation route it is best to keep the lips shut in public so as to not expose one's position.

That's it from me on the pro bono work. Next set of advice I have to bill you.

Last edited by Cpn_Dunsel; 05-30-21 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-30-21, 06:46 PM

As far as I'm concerned, Are their client crossed my path & we collided. The bike shop gave the bike a two minute look over, what level of expert are they in dealing with potential frame damage? this isn't just a quick cash grab .If they're so sure that its ok, they can sell it to recoup some of their losses.
The bike does have some scrapes on it, plus the rear derailleur has some damage.
Old 05-30-21, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 7019 Post(s)
Liked 11,045 Times in 4,719 Posts
Originally Posted by Cpn_Dunsel
I never argued he should get a new bike, Perhaps you are confusing me with another user. I only offer that if one is going the litigation route it is best to keep the lips shut in public so as to not expose one's position.

That's it from me on the pro bono work. Next set of advice I have to bill you.

Your last line implies that you are an attorney; if so, can you explain the basis of your advice in the first line? Examples?

I am genuinely curious, as I have been party to two auto accidents that resulted in legal action and settlements: one was the death of an immediate family member, long before social media existed, and we were never told to NOT discuss the case with friends and acquaintances. The other was a more recent accident in which my wife and I were hit (and injured) by another motorist, who was at fault, and this was in the modern social media era -- and again, we were never cautioned against sharing info. Have their been some precedents?
Old 05-30-21, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by mwatt65
Sticking to my guns, means I'm going to try & make them replace my bike. Why should I have to worry about future issues with the bike?
I've lost track: who is "them"? Giant, or the motorcyclist? If Giant, you've already gotten your answer from the dealer, right? If the motorcyclist, I am still rather curious about the details of the incident: were police involved, was the MC rider ticketed, did the MC rider admit guilt and give you insurance info, etc?
Old 05-30-21, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 678 Posts
If you do get a new bike ensure it is not carbon. Obviously, you have a deep distrust of the material as others on this forum, even if you get a new bike next time you drop it or hit a pothole you will be going through all this again. The consensus seems to be custom titanium which can be purchased for just a few dollars more than the bike you are presently riding, at least that is from what I hear on the forums.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 05-31-21 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-30-21, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
That's twice in the same thread! What the bleep is "Rule number 2?!"
Look up ten good rules
Old 05-31-21, 11:35 AM

Bikes: 1988 Gitane Team Replica, 2022 Trek Top Fuel 9.8

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Good background reading

Ruckus uses ultrasound analysis and a newer phased-array process to detect damage and assess repairs.
How Do Carbon Mountain Bike Frames Break? Shawn Small of Ruckus Composites Fills Us In
Old 05-31-21, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 25 Posts
Experts strongly disagree

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Not good to ride with a strobe light, we are bike riders not a mobile discotheque it can be more a distraction and make it harder to see. Riding with a light during the day is fine but flashing and strobing is always best left on the dance floor or a haunted house or probably some CIA extrajudicial torture methods.
There's other groups far more concerned with collision avoidance than us, namely aircraft and shipping. They rely heavily on strobes and would disagree with disco reasoning. So do most fire and police vehicles, although the strobing parts might not be white. Buoy markers, masts, most aircraft, runway approach lighting, water towers, beacons, lighthouses, etc are examples. The number of times I've made brief eye contact with drivers during a yield, who clearly saw my daytime strobe, is priceless. I should I add mine sit very low with a Paul mount at the front dropout level, and pointed down a tad, so not to distract oncoming riders while still being effective. I find the night time effect is amazing at showing the contour of the oncoming road surface. Plus I never use it on paths, can't understand why riders do this. Those high mounted space lasers strapped to bars can't be lumped in with thoughtful lighting that avoids collision.
Old 05-31-21, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I bought a Giant Revolt Advanced 2 yesterday, On my first ride today A motorcycle turned left in front of me, We collided is it wrong of me to want a new bike? I cannot see any damage to the frame except a few scuff marks on the brakes. I was doing about 17MPH when we collided. With the carbon frame & forks, how would I tell if theirs damage? I have a few bruises & scrapes on my legs.

Thank you.
As one who worked for an insurance company, it is not uncommon to see an offer of $500. For bodily injury just to resolve a file. I don’t know what your bike cost, but I would contact his carrier with pictures of your injuries and those of the bike and see what they start to offer you.
Old 05-31-21, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I bought a Giant Revolt Advanced 2 yesterday, On my first ride today A motorcycle turned left in front of me, We collided is it wrong of me to want a new bike? I cannot see any damage to the frame except a few scuff marks on the brakes. I was doing about 17MPH when we collided. With the carbon frame & forks, how would I tell if theirs damage? I have a few bruises & scrapes on my legs.

Thank you.
I would ask for a new bike. Carbon material is very difficult to inspect with naked eyes. You will need to do ndt testing and that will cost a lot. I will not trust riding a carbon bike that has been in an accident.
Old 05-31-21, 01:55 PM

[QUOTE=Koyote;22081891]I've lost track: who is "them"? Giant, or the motorcyclist? If Giant, you've already gotten your answer from the dealer, right? If the motorcyclist, I am still rather curious about the details of the incident: were police involved, was the MC rider ticketed, did the MC rider admit guilt and give you insurance info, etc?[/QUOT

Sorry, them was referring to the Motorcyclist, yes he was ticketed, yes he admitted guilt. Police got his insurance information in the accident report. Plus two independent witnesses.
Old 05-31-21, 02:01 PM

[QUOTE=mwatt65;22082647]
Originally Posted by Koyote
I've lost track: who is "them"? Giant, or the motorcyclist? If Giant, you've already gotten your answer from the dealer, right? If the motorcyclist, I am still rather curious about the details of the incident: were police involved, was the MC rider ticketed, did the MC rider admit guilt and give you insurance info, etc?[/QUOT

Sorry, them was referring to the Motorcyclist, yes he was ticketed, yes he admitted guilt. Police got his insurance information in the accident report. Plus two independent witnesses.
Yeah, then you should just go after his insurance company. As someone else noted, the price of your new bike is pretty trivial to an insurance company.

I seriously doubt that you need legal representation… The mere possibility, or thread, of hiring an attorney will move them.
Old 05-31-21, 02:36 PM
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts

Thank you.
replace it for a new bike.
Old 05-31-21, 03:13 PM
J28

Bikes: Custom

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you.
I take it he/his insurer is offering a handshake and a 'Good Luck!' I am of two minds. There is a chance there was some damage to the frame but it has to be stripped to know. It takes a competent frame builder to evaluate it. If they cover all the expense of a teardown, inspection, and set-up. replace all damaged parts of the bike, etc., it should be OK. Whatever scratches you may find tell the story you may want to share with others.
OTOH, You bought a NEW bike and it was on its maiden voyage. That's what you should get.
Old 05-31-21, 03:18 PM

Bikes: Basso Loto, Andre Bertain, Schwinn Madison, Litespeed Unicoi, Easton full sustension, Macau non-suspended MTN, Merlin Agilis, A-D Superlicht, Daccordi Piuma, Scott CR1 (former owner Thomas Frischnecht), Van Diesel CX, Alan Top Cross, Scattante CX, Ri

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Do not ride a crashed carbon bike

Thank you.

carbon fiber is notorious for failing without warning after crash damage especially forks. Naturally with a proper inspection it is difficult to determine the true extent of the damage but I would strongly encourage you NOT to ride it again. The motorcyclist should pay for a replacement if he was at fault. If you were at fault then I would strongly suggest you have the bike professionally evaluated before riding again. Might find it difficult to find someone who will provide that evaluation as they become liable if the bike fails
Old 05-31-21, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
There are various ways you can be covered while riding a bike -- glad no injuries. In some states you are covered under your auto policy for medical -- it gets complicated. Don't delay with seeking medical if any symptoms pop up.

As to the bike ... Anothers liability insurance is not direct to you. They don't have any contract with you -- they pay based on a judgment. Most companies are not going to wait for this to occur when the insured is clearly at fault and they would lose in court. But -- its really a situation of now having to show or prove damage to the bike.

Getting something in writing from a legitimate source that a carbon bike cannot be guaranteed safe after a crash would be wise to obtain -- if that is possible.

You would have the same issues under a homeowners policy .... even with that being first person. There has to be proof of a loss ...IE damage. That would also be subject to any deductible. Also, many standard mass market homeowners policies are full of sub-catagory loss caps. IE -- we will pay to replace bicycles at value up to a max of $1500. So you can have three bikes each worth 5k and you get $1500 for all of them in a house fire.
Old 05-31-21, 03:47 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I am sure that flashing lights have existed since the early 2000's at least. Nevertheless, they are practically expected by the majority of drivers and, more importantly, law enforcement authority figures. I don't use mine in the daytime, because I'd rather save the batteries for when they are really needed.

All that said, I have little fear of riding without lights! 45 years in urban traffic and no serious collisions ... no collisions ever, to date. It ain't luck! You CAN prevent most collisions by riding defensively, and by not putting responsibility for your safety onto the shoulders of total strangers. I'm not telling you that, I figure you know that already. When I turn on the flasher it is so that if I wind up in an accident no one can say "see, if he had had flashers ...", but I would never suggest to someone (as has been done in this thread) that they should use flashers to prevent an accident. They do not, and cannot. Ride defensively.

No one who understands anything about optics would recommend a flashing headlight at night. All that can do is disorient the oncoming driver. Red flashers don't have such a dramatic effect, but the flashing white light both makes it harder to determine where the rider actually is and how fast she is going, it's also making it impossible for the driver's pupils to adjust between light and dark.
Old 05-31-21, 05:41 PM
So many roads ...

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Tricross, a (almost) showroom condition 1987 Schwinn Collegiate 3-speed (for short coffee runs), KMX recumbent trike

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
I'm not a lawyer but I watch Perry Mason on MeTV ...
Right there you already know about the law than me. I'm serious.
Old 05-31-21, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2712 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I am serious and don't call me surely. I am sure plenty of money has been spent putting strobes on bicycle lights and yes something has remained on the market for a long time. That doesn't make it a good thing it just means it has stayed around or they know they can market it at people and those people will want to use it because they don't have to be on the receiving end of it. When ever I am confronted by a flashing or strobing light I have to close my eyes and look away which could lead to a crash on my end because I can't see. Thankfully I haven't ever had a seizure but know people who do.

I get it we like to think they work better because they are flashing and flashing things can grab attention. Some guy walking down the street with a closed trench coat doesn't really make you look twice but when his ding-a-ling is hanging out you notice. But unlike with the genitals which won't cause much harm if you look at them, a flashing light in your eyes can, especially white light (and non-warm light) which is more damaging to eyes.

Keep in mind we used DDT for around 30 years, Cocaine started life out as legal and sold in lots of places for health purposes, Informer by Snow spent 7 weeks at number 1 on the Billboard music charts. The point is we sometimes do things for long periods of time that may not always be right or good but if you market it correctly people will go for it.
I 100% agree that these lights are getting out of hand. People have flashing 10000000000 lumen lights that I can see from a mile away during the daytime, I hate it
Old 05-31-21, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by livedarklions
. Red flashers don't have such a dramatic effect, but the flashing white light both makes it harder to determine where the rider actually is and how fast she is going, it's also making it impossible for the driver's pupils to adjust between light and dark.
This has been studied and seems to be the case.

Science says:

~ Flashing lights are easier to notice
~ It is harder to judge distance of a blinking light.
~ Intoxicated drivers somehow manage to run into blinking lights thanks to the the "Moth Effect."

Exact correlation between conspicuousness and safety remains unclear.
Old 05-31-21, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2501 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
No one who understands anything about optics would recommend a flashing headlight at night. All that can do is disorient the oncoming driver. Red flashers don't have such a dramatic effect, but the flashing white light both makes it harder to determine where the rider actually is and how fast she is going, it's also making it impossible for the driver's pupils to adjust between light and dark.
Sigh ... I have NOT recommended flashing headlights in the dark. This thread is not about riding in the dark. The picture being discussed was taken in daylight. I have not even recommended lights at all in the daytime. I was responding to another poster who labelled flashing lights of any kind as bad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.