Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Road biking, I dont quite get it.

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Road biking, I dont quite get it.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-12, 08:30 AM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Men's Journal Magazine has an interesting article this issue. They interview 4 Heroic Bike Couriers in NYC. One does stunts for movies. Seems the "experts" still measure their careers in broken bones, teeth and stitches. But then again it is their job to be on the streets 10 hours a day 6 days a week. But they all say its a love they can't get away from.

Maybe that is the answer for the OP. Once its under your skin, you gotta have it.

From an insurance perspective, trauma that results from an illegal or intentional acts by a biker is not covered. If a driver dodges you and hits another car, the biker paying the claim from his own pocket. OTOH, health insurance pays no matter how stupid a person is. In the claims world, "I knew what I was doing, but the idiot reacted the wrong way," is a subclass of claims.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 04-06-12, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by samburger
This thread is awesome. I might have to start selling donut cushions for all this butthurt.
This is the best intensity Mountain Bike thread has had for quite a while.

It sounds to me like everyone needs a good lung busting ride. Get rid of all this ugly angst! But we got enough mind reading going on here to start a 1-900 psychic line.

Old 04-06-12, 09:03 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed
Ooo, ooo, I want a turn.

I bike enough in all situations to own a pretty nice MTB, a commuter, a nice road bike, and a nice grocery getter single speed. I love putting miles on my road bike when the MTB trails are wet.

I also hate those d-bag road bikers who ride in the road on roads that are either really busy or have speed limits above 35 unless it's a road that isn't very busy at all. Those self centered pricks love to block traffic around here sometimes. And you can "blah blah blah, they have a right to the road too, blah blah blah" but no, the roads are not built for bikes. They are built for cars. That's why they have 55mph speed limits and car lanes. Yes, you Can Legally ride a bike in the road if you want to, but that doesn't mean it's not a self-centered prick thing to do on many roads.

One thing many people don't know, and maybe it's just a WI thing, is that you're actually supposed to honk your horn to let a cyclist know a vehicle is approaching. I suggest that everyone encountering a cyclist in the car lane on a busy road holding up traffic or a narrow higher mph road without safe passing should make sure they lay on the horns for a good long time as they pass to ensure the safety of the cyclist you're approaching.
OK, you had your turn, now go back to detention.

NO, ROADS WERE NOT BUILT FOR CARS -- THEY WERE BUILT FOR THE PUBLIC! And there are NUMEROUS sources that will tell you, PAVING roads was the result of advocacy of 19th-Century CYCLISTS. If, in the past 50 years, roads have been built to handle high speeds, that does not change that THEY ARE FOR THE PUBLIC, NOT JUST ONE USER GROUP. As I said before, INTERSTATES are the roads built for cars -- some allow bike access, most do not, because they are high-speed auto routes.

There are two-lane roads, numbered and classed by "County", "State", "U.S.", that are signed 55mph; some, in remote areas, HAVE no speed limit. Does that mean the cyclist who lives on that road can't ride it? Grow up.

The auto horn is a device designed to alert another road user of imminent danger or hazard, NOT to say, "HEY, I'M BEHIND YOU!" Since another poster has already called BS on you with a source, I'll just say that you seem to be speaking from opinion, not knowledge. Here's a thought: opinions are like sphincters; everyone has one, most all of 'em stink. I teach my kids: "Don't THINK something is a certain way, FIND OUT, so you KNOW."
Old 04-06-12, 09:28 AM
Gone.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DX-MAN
NO, ROADS WERE NOT BUILT FOR CARS -- THEY WERE BUILT FOR THE PUBLIC!
Word. The roads are for everyone.

I'm not sure why people insist otherwise. They must hate freedom or something.
Old 04-06-12, 10:05 AM

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Um, 3speed, bikes are traffic. Often times it is much safer to take the lane, and legal too. Ever been right hooked? I do not stay to the right of moving cars through an intersection. Too many M*******s ( good word for the day) drivers do not use turn signals. Do I stay in the middle of the lane always, not at all. I use good sense to try to keep me safest. One of my "fun" sections of busy roads involves a two lane road with the right hand lane being an on ramp for 128 North and south , about 150 feet apart. I bike in the middle of the righthand lane, cars can go around me or stay behind me to get on the highway. Works for me, YRMV.
Old 04-06-12, 10:28 AM
Still spinnin'.....

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MadMechanic
L.....o....L....at stealthammer...

so butthurt! its not like I insulted you or your mother as a person.
Like I said before, no harm, no foul. I am not insulted and I hope that I didn't insult you.

As you said in your OP, you are not here to bash any road bikers, and but you just don't understand why we would want to ride in traffic, and that you think road biking is impractical. You asked a very valid question, and a number of us have answered your question very honestly, and essentially what we have told you is that we simple don't see road riding in the same way that you do.

But if you went on the road bike forum and started a thread titled "Mountain biking, I dont quite get it", and then you said that you are not there to bash any mountain bikers, but that you think mountain biking is impractical, and then went on to say that you don't get why a mountain biker would bomb down a near-vertical and rutted singletrack that is bordered by trees and huge rocks at speed and then repeatedly have to loft their bike 10-20' through the air to avoid parts of the trail that you can't even ride over, and then asked why they don't wear more protective gear and why they are riding at such higher-speeds in such an isolated and unpopulated area and not on some calmer back road or country road, and then asked why would they want to ride in an environment where you might have be helicoptered out of if you crash really hard, then you would have gotten some of the same replies that you got here:

- to you it seems dumb to even be there.
- to you it seems like if we insist on being there, we're doing something wrong.
- to you it seems like there is no point.
- if you think it's stupid then that's fine, we're all entitled to our opinions.
- what we're doing is perfectly legal,so we just don't see what the problem is.
- we guess that anyone who enjoys a dangerous sport that you don't is any idiot.
- experience teaches us signs to look for that help us determine how much of a risk they are taking.
- the guys riding "Crazy" in such conditions seem crazy to you, but to them, they know what they are doing.
- the guys you talk about might seem crazy to you, but they apparently know what they are doing.
- you obviously don't get it, and you probably never will.
- everyone is not like you, and some of us don't ride for "recreation" because to us cycling is a sport.

Again, no harm no foul, but you don't ride a road bike so you don't get it. No worries. Get a road bike and all of your questions will be answered.

Ride Safe!

Last edited by Stealthammer; 04-06-12 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-06-12, 12:37 PM
dont make me get the belt

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"Don't THINK something is a certain way, FIND OUT, so you KNOW."
Oh yeah, sure, what if everyone thought that way, then internet forums would merely be places where rational people exchange useful information and ideas - instead of the chaotic, emotionally-charged circuses that they are.

Do you really want to give up all this free entertainment?
Old 04-06-12, 12:45 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stealthammer
Like I said before,
Lol this is turning into a novel
Old 04-06-12, 12:59 PM
Still spinnin'.....

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Lol this is turning into a novel
If this was in P&R we would be at 25 pages by now.....
Old 04-06-12, 02:47 PM

Bikes: rocky mountain SLAYER!!!! trek, voodoo, surly, spot, bianchi, ibis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I believe you sir....are the only person who has gotten the point of the thread so far. Thank you for reading what I said correctly and not jumping to conclusions
so, the point of your thread is....road bikers should stay off the high speed roads and not slow down cars?

why didn't you just say that from the beginning, clear and to the point?
Old 04-06-12, 04:29 PM
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5541 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 244 Posts
If this was in P&R we would be at 25 pages by now.....
Hell. Four pages ain't sheeeit.
Old 04-06-12, 05:54 PM
Gone.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sknhgy
Hell. Four pages ain't sheeeit.
The "I just don't get it about the mirrors." thread over at A&S makes this thread seem sane and moderate by comparison. Wonder why most people think cyclists are pathetic turbo-dweebs? A bitter argument about mirror use is the cycling equivalent of getting all bent out of shape over the finer points of Klingon poetry.
Old 04-06-12, 05:57 PM
Gone.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Lemme see. *****apiens. Yep. It's all good. What the **** were you typing?
"Homozygote" is a word.
"Homogeneous" is a word.
"Homoerotic" is a word.

"*****apiens" isn't a word. "**** sapiens" is two words.
Old 04-06-12, 06:01 PM

Bikes: rocky mountain SLAYER!!!! trek, voodoo, surly, spot, bianchi, ibis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by corvuscorvax
.... A bitter argument about mirror use is the cycling equivalent of getting all bent out of shape over the finer points of Klingon poetry.
HEY!!!! everyone knows Klingon poetry is far superior to any other, in fact, shakespear is best read in the original klingon. If you don't see that, you just are blind!!!!!!!

(too tempting, i go for low hanging fruit, mostly cause i'm short and it's all i can reach).
Old 04-06-12, 06:24 PM
one less horse

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Vogon Poetry is what you should be concerned about, you trekkie nerds.
Old 04-06-12, 06:44 PM
Gone.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But seriously, from what I've heard from friends that live in longboard-concentrated areas, longboarders are regarded as the only thing more annoying & scary than road bikers on twisty mountain roads.
This will make your blood boil:

https://www.wgrz.com/news/article/157...r-Manslaughter

Short summary: a socially prominent Buffalo NY doctor gets wasted at a party at his country club. He and his wife climb into their BMW and run down a teenage girl longboarding home from her after-school job, leaving the girl to die by the side of the road. The scumbag doctor's scumbag lawyers subsequently attempt to smear the victim in order to get the doctor off the charges. It remains to be seen whether or not they will be successful.

Last edited by corvuscorvax; 04-06-12 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-06-12, 09:46 PM
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
I
Originally Posted by pablosnazzy
so, the point of your thread is....road bikers should stay off the high speed roads and not slow down cars?

why didn't you just say that from the beginning, clear and to the point?
I thought he did say that in the OP.
Old 04-07-12, 03:51 AM
Still spinnin'.....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The "I just don't get it about the mirrors." thread over at A&S makes this thread seem sane and moderate by comparison. Wonder why most people think cyclists are pathetic turbo-dweebs? A bitter argument about mirror use is the cycling equivalent of getting all bent out of shape over the finer points of Klingon poetry.
Have you seen The Helmet Thread?

Six months and 77 pages, and still going strong.....
Old 04-07-12, 05:23 AM

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This will make your blood boil:

https://www.wgrz.com/news/article/157...r-Manslaughter

Short summary: a socially prominent Buffalo NY doctor gets wasted at a party at his country club. He and his wife climb into their BMW and run down a teenage girl longboarding home from her after-school job, leaving the girl to die by the side of the road. The scumbag doctor's scumbag lawyers subsequently attempt to smear the victim in order to get the doctor off the charges. It remains to be seen whether or not they will be successful.

Really reaching to keep this thread going. But yes, it does piss me off.
Old 04-07-12, 09:48 AM

The long board story brings us back to the OP in a way. Pavement is for public use. But if a doctor who has been drinking and is now texting, kills you while driving, it might be your fault. Especially since the doctor can afford a team who checks your social media, mental health records and toxicology.

See how wise MTBers are. They fear the blood test. They stay away.

Psnaz, here's ur cup, give it to ed when your done. And please dry the outside of the cup this time.

Old 04-07-12, 12:03 PM
Gone.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Daspydyr
The long board story brings us back to the OP in a way. Pavement is for public use. But if a doctor who has been drinking and is now texting, kills you while driving, it might be your fault.
Bingo. If it is inherently a reckless act for the longboarder (or cyclist) to be there in the first place, it's hardly the drunk, texting doctor's fault, now is it? Especially if the kid is a weirdo goth. This is the line of reasoning that turns a manslaughter into a "tragic accident", and is the reason that I (and apparently a lot of other people) react so negatively to the e-tards who take to the net to complain about cyclists "blocking traffic", and advocate harassment or worse.

Last edited by corvuscorvax; 04-07-12 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-07-12, 11:55 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by scyclops
Oh yeah, sure, what if everyone thought that way, then internet forums would merely be places where rational people exchange useful information and ideas - instead of the chaotic, emotionally-charged circuses that they are.
I hope you don't mind, but that's going in my signature unless you say otherwise.
Old 04-08-12, 12:35 AM

EDIT: Keeping in mind I already stated that I Do support cyclists on the roads where it is safe to do so...
Originally Posted by prathmann
Still haven't seen any of these "car lanes" you keep talking about.
I can't make someone admit what they're too stubborn to admit.
I'd say there is a lot that you've never heard of, so maybe you should do some research. It is legal for bicyles to share the road in all 50 states, so suck it up.
.....and yes, you too should stay on the MUP
How did you miss the part I said about "yes, it's Legal to..., but that doesn't mean you're not a self-centered d-bag in certain situations if you do" or something like that?
This thread is awesome. I might have to start selling donut cushions for all this butthurt.
On both sides of the fence.
I believe you sir....are the only person who has gotten the point of the thread so far. Thank you for reading what I said correctly and not jumping to conclusions
We are in a forum for biking. It's only logical to guess how many people feel about it. Just like it would be the opposite if we were in a car forum. Everyone has their own opinion on the matter. I just think it sucks when people are self centered about their opinion. I wouldn't go flying through a school zone at 50mph in my car. Why do Some road bikers think they should block traffic of a high speed road and go 15mph? But we both know the answer to that one.
NO, ROADS WERE NOT BUILT FOR CARS -- THEY WERE BUILT FOR THE PUBLIC! And there are NUMEROUS sources that will tell you, PAVING roads was the result of advocacy of 19th-Century CYCLISTS.
I don't know what to tell you if you don't already understand it. Things have changed since 1850.
The auto horn is a device designed to alert another road user of imminent danger or hazard, NOT to say, "HEY, I'M BEHIND YOU!" Since another poster has already called BS on you with a source, I'll just say that you seem to be speaking from opinion, not knowledge. Here's a thought: opinions are like sphincters; everyone has one, most all of 'em stink. I teach my kids: "Don't THINK something is a certain way, FIND OUT, so you KNOW."
Your kids would learn better by example. A simple google search will tell you that Many states do infact suggest a horn honk to let a cyclist know you're approaching and your intent to pass(Not sure of WI in particular. Didn't bother searching more after seeing many state government suggestions to give the honk, and knowing they did teach us that in drivers ed class.).

If the cyclist can mosey down a 55mph road in the middle of the lane holding up traffic because "Hey, it's legal, right, so **** everyone else. This is what I want to do and it's all about me." Then why shouldn't I use my DMV/DOT suggested action and give them a horn honk? They're using the fact that it's their "right" as a reason to do something that is inconsiderate of the vast majority of the population. Why shouldn't I use the fact that it's my "right" to do something that's inconsiderate of them and hopefully deter them from being inconsiderate to the rest of us.

Last edited by 3speed; 04-08-12 at 12:51 AM.
Old 04-08-12, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Leebo
One of my "fun" sections of busy roads involves a two lane road with the right hand lane being an on ramp for 128 North and south , about 150 feet apart. I bike in the middle of the righthand lane, cars can go around me or stay behind me to get on the highway. Works for me.
You seem like an overwhelmingly nice, considerate person. I'd bet that last sentence you typed there sums up your life in a nice simple motto. You know, if you went ahead up that ramp onto the highway, you could probably feel real good about blocking even more people at even higher speeds, though it does sound like you probably do a pretty thorough job of giving a big "f-you" to everyone around you already. Glad that's "fun" for you.
Old 04-08-12, 04:45 AM
Still spinnin'.....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ooo, ooo, I want a turn.

I bike enough in all situations to own a pretty nice MTB, a commuter, a nice road bike, and a nice grocery getter single speed. I love putting miles on my road bike when the MTB trails are wet.

I also hate those d-bag road bikers who ride in the road on roads that are either really busy or have speed limits above 35 unless it's a road that isn't very busy at all. Those self centered pricks love to block traffic around here sometimes. And you can "blah blah blah, they have a right to the road too, blah blah blah" but no, the roads are not built for bikes. They are built for cars. That's why they have 55mph speed limits and car lanes. Yes, you Can Legally ride a bike in the road if you want to, but that doesn't mean it's not a self-centered prick thing to do on many roads.

One thing many people don't know, and maybe it's just a WI thing, is that you're actually supposed to honk your horn to let a cyclist know a vehicle is approaching. I suggest that everyone encountering a cyclist in the car lane on a busy road holding up traffic or a narrow higher mph road without safe passing should make sure they lay on the horns for a good long time as they pass to ensure the safety of the cyclist you're approaching.

Too f'ing bad dude.

I'd say there is a lot that you've never heard of, so maybe you should do some research. It is legal for bicyles to share the road in all 50 states, so suck it up.
.....and yes, you too should stay on the MUP.....
How did you miss the part I said about "yes, it's Legal to..., but that doesn't mean you're not a self-centered d-bag in certain situations if you do" or something like that?........
I didn't miss it at all, I just find your entire post to be arrogant, naive, and absurd, and your last statement in particular gives us all a clear insight into your true character.

You are arrogant to believe that you have the right to dictate to others, who are being completely compliant with the existing laws, as to where and when they should ride, and where and when they should not: "I also hate those d-bag road bikers who ride in the road on roads that are either really busy or have speed limits above 35 unless it's a road that isn't very busy at all"..

You are naive and completely wrong on the facts with regards to the roads not being built for bikes and then specifically stating that they were built only for cars: "the roads are not built for bikes. They are built for cars. That's why they have 55mph speed limits and car lanes".

You are absurd in thinking that you have the right to limit other people's legal activities simply because you don't think they should be there, and then you insult them for doing something that is clearly within their legal rights: (i.e., "Yes, you Can Legally ride a bike in the road if you want to, but that doesn't mean it's not a self-centered prick thing to do on many roads."

Also, if a cyclist is in fact "moseying" down a 55mph road in the middle of the lane holding up traffic, they are indeed impeding traffic and they should be cited by the police for their violation, but for you to use their infraction as a rationalization for you to assert your own "right to do something that's inconsiderate of them and that (will) hopefully deter them from being inconsiderate to the rest of us" is childish. Grow up. Just because you see one cyclist being a horses *** doesn't mean that you have to be a horses *** too.

In my experience the vast majority of road bikers are conscientious and law-abiding, and your attempt to dismiss all of us who share the roads legally as being "inconsiderate of the vast majority of the population" is pure bull****.

But since you have clearly shown the depth of your ignorance of the law and the rights of others, and that you do not have the slightest clue as to what you are talking about, I suggest that you sell your bikes and buy a pickup, because your are truely a redneck at heart.

Last edited by Stealthammer; 04-08-12 at 06:37 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.