Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Nishiki Serial Number Database

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Nishiki Serial Number Database

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-09, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 656 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,044 Times in 1,880 Posts
Nishiki did offer an Alan Carbon model in 1986 but it was frame only. However, that's oversize steel. You can make out the Tange decal on the seat tube and the stays are definitely steel with forged, steel dropouts. It looks very much like one of the 1986-1988 Internationals that used used oversize CrMo assembled using internal lugs. I know these models used a Unicrown fork and fade paint in 1988, so this would appear to be 1986 or 1987. Components may be Shimano New 600. I've got some old ads on these models, but I'd have to dig it out.
Old 03-25-09, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
What the heck is this? Is this a carbon/aluminium frame? Do those look like Dura Ace cranks to anyone else? Thanks for any input, if I buy it, I will post up some better pics, maybe even with the wheels on the bike
Actually that appears to a circa 1986/1987 Internationa LD. These frames used ovesize Tange #1 tubes mated to internal lugs. You can make out the Tange decal on the seat tube. Components were spec'd as Cyclone cranks and brakes with Sprint deralleurs and Sanshin hubs laced to Araya 20A rims. 23lbs. $500US. Above components and prices are for 1986 version. 1987 may have been different though 1988 was still SunTour equipped. The bike pic'd is not that new enough to be the 1988 and doesn't appear to have the 1987 decals, so I'm pretty sure it's 1986.
Old 03-25-09, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 387 Posts
Thanks T-Mar! I have a picture that is pretty much the same but at a somewhat better angle and it looks like it says "Tri-A" on the top-tube just in front of the headtube. Also, the word "Norco" can clearly be seen on the non-drive side chain-stay, so I guess it is one of those "Assembled in Canada" bikes. I am still waiting for the seller to answer a couple of questions for me before I go and see it...
Old 03-25-09, 05:24 PM

Interesting. The US Tri-A during this period was standard size, externally lugged CrMo with a New 600EX group and cost the same price. It sounds like Norco spec'd the oversize frame for the Canadian Tri-A, as I can see the distinctive rings around the tubes, where the color changes. Unfortunately, I don't have any Canadian Nishiki literature that goes back that far, though I do have the Norco catalogs for 1986 & 1987. There is no oversize frame in the road line.
Old 03-25-09, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 387 Posts
Hrm, well, I think it says Olympic Tri-A but I could be wrong. It looks like there are some championship rings around the downtube as well. Unfortunately, the seller can only tell me that the parts are "shimno", so I guess I will have to check it out myself. Here is the other photo...the pink hoods are odd too, would that have been an aftermarket thing? They are perfectly matched to the paint...

Old 03-26-09, 05:22 AM

Could be Europa Tri-A or Equipe Tri-A. The only International LD pic I've got is a dark blue frame with silver head and down tubes. The bars and hoods look like they are color-matched to the frame, but it's hard to tell for sure.

As for components, I don't recognize them offhand, without going back and doing some referencing, but I've got a shipment of new bicycles coming to-day, so that's not likely to happen. Don't you just hate non-drive side photos? They're one of my biggest pet peeves on this forum.

Even if you don't buy the bicycle, I'd appreciate the serial number for the database, if you go to see it. TIA
Old 03-29-09, 10:05 AM

Bikes: 1987 bianchi campione d'italia, 1970's eatons glider, 1990's hybrid, 1992 trek antelope

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1982 nishiki

Just acquired a bicycle at the local police auction, upon further inspection, it happens to be a Nikishi. Serial number starts with CB. The bike was painted red, so I do not know the model. It sports the coveted DRILLIUM crankset, one pedal included!
Originally bought with the intention of poaching parts such as the aluminum handlebars and front wheel, I've come to this thread wondering what model this could be. I've seen the international models sporting the drilled cranksets. Any other models have these?
When I flick the main tubes, it emits a nice ping, indicating possibly butted tubing. The derailleurs are Suntour AR, the front one stamped YD on the back. Diacomp brakes and levers. The handelbars are engraved with WIN \ WINPISTA.
Any ideas on the model of this bike? What tubes does it have?
Old 03-29-09, 03:08 PM

Gurry, a 1982, Canadian market serial number, drilled crankset and AR derailleurs points towards a Landau, in which case the frame sould be Tange #5, plain gauge CrMo, possibly with hi-tensile stays and forks. 5th in a line-up of 7 models.
Old 03-29-09, 05:40 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
T-Mar-

Do you have old Nishiki catalogs? Or do you just know the hierarchy for various years?

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 03-30-09, 06:28 AM

A bit of both. I've been in and out of the bicycle industry for almost four decades and have accumulated a large collection of catalogs and magazines. Slowly, I've been piecing together the entire history of Nishiki production using my reference material and the irrefutably dated models that have surfaced in this thread.
Old 04-01-09, 04:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1977 Nishiki Competition

Here is a quick iPhone pic of my 1977 Nishiki Competition serial number KG56927, which I purchased in...ummm...1977. Mostly stock, I will post more pics soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo-1.jpg (58.1 KB, 400 views)
Old 04-01-09, 04:52 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
jet sanchEz, Here is my International with the same paint scheme. I believe this is a 1985.

The decal on the seat tube says Tange 1. Nishiki has been known to take a paint scheme from one model and copy it on another model.
Old 04-07-09, 04:42 PM

Bikes: Columbus "plastic" road bike, Specialized Enduro, On-One Inbred SS29", On-One Pompino Fixie, Planet-X Kaffenback CX, Kona Jake CX, Tigierre vintage TT bike, Nishiki Windcheater Triathlon bike, Noname fixie junkbike. Soon a Haro Olds Cool retro BMX.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nishiki Windcheater

Hello, I´m new to this forum!

What can this be..?

Searched for parts to build my retro TT Tigierre bike, stumbled across this.

Said to be a 1994, who knows. It seems to be totally original except for the rear wheel.
Dont know about the bar tough. Anyone who knows?
It may be for sale, it is in good condition.

Thanks / Nicke
Attached Images
IMG_0326.JPG (69.2 KB, 414 views)
IMG_0342.JPG (28.9 KB, 391 views)
Likes For slateman:
Old 04-07-09, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by slateman
Hello, I´m new to this forum!

What can this be..?

Searched for parts to build my retro TT Tigierre bike, stumbled across this.

Said to be a 1994, who knows. It seems to be totally original except for the rear wheel.
Dont know about the bar tough. Anyone who knows?
It may be for sale, it is in good condition.

Thanks / Nicke
In 1987, Nishiki had two TT models with 24" front wheels, the Fusion and Linear. Your serial number corroborates a 1987, European market model, which would explain the model name difference. Bullhorn bars were original equipment. Yours appears to be the equivalent of the USA Linear model, which was spec'd with Shimano 105 and a Tange #2 tubeset.
Old 04-07-09, 05:07 PM

Bikes: Columbus "plastic" road bike, Specialized Enduro, On-One Inbred SS29", On-One Pompino Fixie, Planet-X Kaffenback CX, Kona Jake CX, Tigierre vintage TT bike, Nishiki Windcheater Triathlon bike, Noname fixie junkbike. Soon a Haro Olds Cool retro BMX.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks, that was quick!
Old 04-08-09, 05:18 AM

Bikes: Nishiki Backroad;: fuji mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
T-Mar
I don't know if anyone has truly thanked you for you help on all of these questions so I would like to say thanks for your help.
I enjoy your comments and your post and also roccobike I also enjoy his input as well.
thanks for your being a part of our forum.
Old 04-08-09, 08:42 AM

Bikes: 3Rensho Aero with 10 speed Centaure / Record , Lecroco , whatever bike I have for sale at the moment

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Nishiki International . Originally destined to be flipped.For some reason, I decided I needed a touring bike. Any comments on the component choice is appereciated, I am still adjusting the position. Serial Number is CA00547 which I think means that it was the 454th frame built in 1981 for the Canadian market?

Originally equipped with Suntour XCE components , 7 speed , Full Cromo frame and fork. This is a full touring bike with low-rider mounts and 3 water bottle cage mounts. The model seems to have changend a lot from year to year and I have read that some touring bikes with hi-tensile frames were flexy under load, anybody has experience with this particular model?

Now

Before

Old 04-08-09, 08:53 AM
My bikes became Vintage

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
The 'before' version is definitely superior to the 'now' version in a classic/vintage context.
Old 04-08-09, 08:59 AM

Bikes: 3Rensho Aero with 10 speed Centaure / Record , Lecroco , whatever bike I have for sale at the moment

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes of course , the new version is everything but c&v , but that's how I wanted it. Also, the bike as I got it had a ****ty seat post, tweeked handlebars , broked spokes, broked fenders, etc

ps;If its any comfort , it should get 9 speed bar end shifters, nitto noodle bars and a brooks flyer saddle when I feel it's the right time to spend the money.

Last edited by mainducoyote; 04-08-09 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-08-09, 09:43 AM
low end rider

Bikes: 80's. hoarder.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Meh, I'd take the after over 2 or 3 befores. Nice one.
Old 04-08-09, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by tommy gayle
T-Mar
I don't know if anyone has truly thanked you for you help on all of these questions so I would like to say thanks for your help.
I enjoy your comments and your post and also roccobike I also enjoy his input as well.
thanks for your being a part of our forum.
Your'e welcome. It's nice to know I'm appreciated.

Originally Posted by mainducoyote
My Nishiki International . Originally destined to be flipped.For some reason, I decided I needed a touring bike. Any comments on the component choice is appereciated, I am still adjusting the position. Serial Number is CA00547 which I think means that it was the 454th frame built in 1981 for the Canadian market?

Originally equipped with Suntour XCE components , 7 speed , Full Cromo frame and fork. This is a full touring bike with low-rider mounts and 3 water bottle cage mounts. The model seems to have changend a lot from year to year and I have read that some touring bikes with hi-tensile frames were flexy under load, anybody has experience with this particular model?
It's not a 1991, not a 1981. That's evident by the XCE components, cantilever bosses, triple bottle set-up and low-rider mounts. Normally, you would have expected Taiwanese manufacture and a Uni-Crown fork but Norco obviously had different aspirations. I've got both the Canadian catalogs for 1981 and 1990, and the 1991 Canadian spec sheet. There's no doubt it's a 1991.

The tubing is actually Tange 900, a heavy gauge, seamed, butted, CrMo set. Should be a good choice for a grand touring bicycle. FYI, original price was $750 CDN.

Edit: It's one thing to be profiling on a C&V bicycle, another to be touring on it. YDo whatever is necessary to make it more suitable for your touring needs. However, do not discard or sell the old parts, as you may decide to restore it, sometime in the future.

Last edited by T-Mar; 04-08-09 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-08-09, 11:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow thanks T-Mar , your knowledge and fast response are definitely appreciated !I had kind of figured out after the fact that it could not be a 1981, too modern. 750$ was a lot of money in 1991. The only problem I have with the bike is that it is going to be hard to fit even 700x32c with fenders , so I may put it back to original if I find some nice touring bike with 26'' wheels or a 700c with beter clearance.

The shifter and RD have found their way on a Kuwahara touring bike , the rest I'm keeping .
Old 04-08-09, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by mainducoyote
...The only problem I have with the bike is that it is going to be hard to fit even 700x32c with fenders , so I may put it back to original if I find some nice touring bike with 26'' wheels or a 700c with beter clearance...
FWIW, OEM tires were 700 x 28C.
Old 04-09-09, 07:08 PM
New Guy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New guy here: Have been lurking for awhile and found an incredible amount of invaluable info and friendly folks here. Instead of the obligatory first post for new members ("What is XYZ worth?" or "Should I buy XYZ or ABC"), I figure I might contribute - albeit in a minor way!

Hoping that my youngest son (12) will grow out of MTBs and BMXs and join me on the road, I bought him his first "real" (in my estimation!) bike yesterday - a steel, classic, Nishiki road bike.

Here are the details:

Nishiki Custom Sport (51 cm) - blue metallic
Frameset build: "Nishiki Double Butted Chrome-Moly Tange"
Serial #: C 24214 (also marked "W", "Kawamura" and "Japan")
Crank: Sugino RT
RD: Suntour ARX (6 speed)
FD: Suntour AR
Shifters (stem): Suntour
Wheels: Weinemann 27x1 1/4 (alu)
Brakes: Dia-Compe 500
Hubs: Can't tell - print illegible

The serial number does not quite fit into the nomenclature outlined here - any feedback would be appreciated!

Click to enlarge (and click again to "super-size"!):

Last edited by Njord Noatun; 04-09-09 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04-10-09, 08:10 AM

Either they forgot to stamp the K prededing the C, which would make it 1983 or 1984, or the C designates a Canadian model with the year indicator missing. Regardless, ARx derailleurs place it 1981-1986 and the head decal appears to be the 1981-1984 version. Your best bet to narrow things down is to check the date codes on the back of the derailleurs, which will be comprmised of two letters. Refer to the Component Dates page of the Vintage-Trek website for decoding these letters.

The stem appears very high, well beyond where the minimum insertion marks would be. You should check that out. I wouldn't want the stem to pop out on your son's first road bike. That could give him a complex about road bicycles.

BTW, thank-you for contributing and welcome aboard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.