Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Warmest gloves

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Warmest gloves

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-16, 04:44 PM

Bikes: '89 Specialized Hardrock Fixed Gear Commuter; 1984? Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Also try wrapping your aluminum brake levers with twine or a couple layers of heat shrink tubing to help reduce the amount of heat they draw from your fingers.

I also found it helped to wear one set of gloves in the morning and another for the evening commute and let both dry out overnight at home.
Old 12-28-16, 05:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another vote for Bar Mitts. An astonishing difference between those and everything else I tried. The only complaint I have is the 3 minutes to remove or add them when the weather fluctuates day-to-day.
Old 12-28-16, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
Pogies - bar mitts! Nothing is better in cold and I ride with thin or no gloves inside. They're easy to make and a great DIY project. You can always add a hand warmer in each if ever needed.
Old 12-28-16, 09:03 AM
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazzba
Having cold hands could also mean you have a problem with blood circulation.
Or, a problem with low body-core temperature: Low Body Temperature Symptoms and Causes - And How to Treat It

Old 12-29-16, 06:12 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3908 Post(s)
Liked 1,957 Times in 1,397 Posts
We've been very happy with our Giro 100 Proof lobsters. We don't ride in extreme cold, but they're good for 35° and raining, so will probably do quite well in dry cold. They're the warmest gloves I've used, much warmer than a ski glove.
Old 12-31-16, 07:58 AM
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Anyone tried 45Nrth Sturmfist? If so, how does it compare to the PI lobsters?
Old 12-31-16, 10:29 PM
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai
Anyone tried 45Nrth Sturmfist? If so, how does it compare to the PI lobsters?
I have cold hands, and live in a cold part of the world...5 finger sturmfists work okay down to freezing. 4 finger sturmfists are much better. My hands were starting to get cold after about 2 hours. Today's ride started at about 20 F and ended at about 4 F.

The ultimate (so far) is sturmfist 5s and Pogies. I use dogwood insulated pogies. The sturmfists use aerogel insulation between you and the bike, and that part of the glove system works very well. I haven't found a situation yet where this combination doesn't work.

I don't much care for the inconvenience of pogies, though, and avoid them when I can get away with it.
Old 12-31-16, 11:34 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4845 Post(s)
Liked 3,972 Times in 2,580 Posts
Originally Posted by GrooveRite
I've been looking at 45nrth stuff (thanks to your guys here on this site!) and trying to see who sells it around me and holy moly its very expensive!! You would think I'm going to the arctic for an expedition with those prices, loL! I'm sure its good stuff but very rich for my blood!
Haven't tried their gloves, but their boots are excellent. I (wisely) got their medium warm Fasterkatt boots for Portland, OR. Quite comfy into the 20s plus very good in the wet and going indoors and out. I did make booties for them to keep air and water out of the tops. (I have long, skinny legs so finding long enough tights has always been an issue.) Only compromise for riding (for me) is the two bolt SPD pattern. (I do far better with no-float cleats and options are slim for two bolt cleats.) But for rideable, walkable and comfortable (for 7 hours of riding in low 40s rain), a very good bet. I believe the warmer boots are rated ~15F colder. (I don't remember now and I am very glad I passed on them but I would fully believe whatever 45North rates them for. For reference, I am a skinny and cold footed and handed. For my entire life and getting worse in my 60s.)

Ben
Old 01-01-17, 08:57 AM
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,489 Times in 1,286 Posts
In my experience gloves don't work for longer rides in very cold weather. Mittens are a lot more effective then gloves. My favourite set up for very cold riding has been is a pair of thin lightweight gloves with mittens over it.
Old 01-03-17, 10:45 AM

Bikes: 2010 Rockhopper Expert Disc (26er)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
In my experience gloves don't work for longer rides in very cold weather. Mittens are a lot more effective then gloves. My favourite set up for very cold riding has been is a pair of thin lightweight gloves with mittens over it.
As of recently, I've noticed the same as well myself. I've been only doing my local short ride which is between 50 to 60 minutes and by the end of the ride, my hands and feet are sweaty and FROZEN!! This was in 20F-30F weather so anything colder would be even worse for me. DEF can't do any longer rides without risking severe frostbite!
Old 01-03-17, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by GrooveRite
As of recently, I've noticed the same as well myself. I've been only doing my local short ride which is between 50 to 60 minutes and by the end of the ride, my hands and feet are sweatyand FROZEN!! This was in 20F-30F weather so anything colder would be even worse for me. DEF can't do any longer rides without risking severe frostbite!
This is getting a bit off the original topic, but...

If your hands and feet are covered in sweat and frozen, likely the problem is either that your gloves don't "breathe", and/or that you sweat a lot (which is harder to solve). A lot of non-biking gloves don't let moisture out from the glove, so what you're talking about happens - you sweat, the air over the glove refreezes the sweat, you freeze. More expensive gloves and bike specific gloves use expensive material (goretex, event) that let at least some of the water vapor go through the glove material and get out, while still being windproof. If you sweat a ton you can overwhelm the material but it takes more to get there.

For shoes, cotton socks are awful if they get wet. I bought thick wool socks which have worked very well for me (if you want to know which ones I could look it up).

-----------------------

I contrast to the other posters, at 20f I've worn gloves (not mittens) made for biking but not particularly thick, and my hand stay toasty warm:

Craft Siberian Wind & Waterproof Bike Gloves
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's kind of funny actually, these gloves suck for anything that's not biking - but on the bike my hands have no problem shifting even road shifters, move around fairly freely, and are warm.

For shoes I've been wearing thick wool socks and chrome shoes which are not insulated - again it's been very warm for me. I've actually had far more trouble keeping my misection and legs warm, than I have my hands or feet.

What works for someone varies a LOT from one person to the next, especially with how much insulation a person finds they need to stay warm.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 01-03-17 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-04-17, 08:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
This is getting a bit off the original topic, but...

If your hands and feet are covered in sweat and frozen, likely the problem is either that your gloves don't "breathe", and/or that you sweat a lot (which is harder to solve). A lot of non-biking gloves don't let moisture out from the glove, so what you're talking about happens - you sweat, the air over the glove refreezes the sweat, you freeze. More expensive gloves and bike specific gloves use expensive material (goretex, event) that let at least some of the water vapor go through the glove material and get out, while still being windproof. If you sweat a ton you can overwhelm the material but it takes more to get there.
I have gloves that breathe to well BUT don't block wind well. I was using 2 pairs of gloves, a thin synthetic pair and some thick thinsulate ones over them that I was using to get me by till my new gloves arrive. I just got my new gloves last week so my hand situation is hopefully resolved....for now, lol. I'm also using sock liners with my thick Smartwool socks and my feet end up cold by the end of my ride. I think my thermal boots aren't meant for biking (or thermal enough to keep the cold out) so I'm probably going to have to deal with that till next year when I can spend some money on biking specific boots like 45nrth. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by GrooveRite; 01-04-17 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-04-17, 10:31 AM

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by randomgear
Also try wrapping your aluminum brake levers with twine or a couple layers of heat shrink tubing to help reduce the amount of heat they draw from your fingers.
I actually use handlebar tape on my brake levers and thumb shifters. Just one wrap works wonders.

For flat bar folks, cheap off brand ATV mitts work very well. I have 45NRTH Cobrafists on my fat bike, but right now I'm commuting with my Surly Troll because I have studded tires on it and I don't want to take out a mortgage to purchase the same for the my fat bike. On the Troll I'm using these: Classic Accessories Black ATV Handlebar Mitts-15-067-013802-00 - The Home Depot At $13.74 they're great. My ride in this morning--only 9 miles, but about an hour with all the rough ice on the trails I ride--was minus 6F. I wear light fleece gloves and my fingers were fine.
Old 01-09-17, 08:58 AM

Bikes: Motobecane Century Pro Ti Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a commuter utility cyclist. No big rides, mostly less than 25 miles or so, as cold as 13 degrees Fahrenheit. I have not found any type of fingered gloves that actually kept my hands warm.
I also ride a motorcycle and have same problem of keeping hands (mostly fingers) warm. Until I found Motion Heat heated glove liners. First off they are designed to keep fingers and top of hands warm, not the palm of your hand. They are rechargeable and each charge will last for several hours. Plus they are 12 volt, so when I ride motorcycle I can plug them into the 12 volt electrical system and leave the battery packs home. They are liners so they do need a decent set of water and wind resistant insulated outer gloves. I use a pair of medium weight Pearl Izumi's for the outer glove.
The setup works really well for me both on my bicycle, motorcycle and when I go for walks or work out in the cold.
The Motion Heat gloves will not keep or make your hands hot but they do a really good job of keeping them warm. It is a bit odd, but during the ride I do not notice my hands being cold, nor do I notice them being hot... just right.
Might be worth taking a look at https://bikedepot.com/heated-gloves-by-motionheat/
Old 01-09-17, 09:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2 Piece
I am a commuter utility cyclist. No big rides, mostly less than 25 miles or so, as cold as 13 degrees Fahrenheit. I have not found any type of fingered gloves that actually kept my hands warm.
I also ride a motorcycle and have same problem of keeping hands (mostly fingers) warm. Until I found Motion Heat heated glove liners. First off they are designed to keep fingers and top of hands warm, not the palm of your hand. They are rechargeable and each charge will last for several hours. Plus they are 12 volt, so when I ride motorcycle I can plug them into the 12 volt electrical system and leave the battery packs home. They are liners so they do need a decent set of water and wind resistant insulated outer gloves. I use a pair of medium weight Pearl Izumi's for the outer glove.
The setup works really well for me both on my bicycle, motorcycle and when I go for walks or work out in the cold.
The Motion Heat gloves will not keep or make your hands hot but they do a really good job of keeping them warm. It is a bit odd, but during the ride I do not notice my hands being cold, nor do I notice them being hot... just right.
Might be worth taking a look at https://bikedepot.com/heated-gloves-by-motionheat/
Nice find but $235.95 is quite pricey for gloves .....I'd rather spend that on boots.