Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXV

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXV

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-19, 06:33 AM
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11978 Post(s)
Liked 6,675 Times in 3,492 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
NSFW Warning. (well, maybe not at your work, i dunno)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0sq3T5fErQ
Old 08-27-19, 06:46 AM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Our annual State Fair trip is tomorrow. Hoo boy. I should probably look through some of the new food items, because most of the standards just haven't been too appealing to me the last couple years. I know that I need to visit one place that's serving blueberry key lime pies, but other than that, I'm at a loss.
Old 08-27-19, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18441 Post(s)
Liked 15,619 Times in 7,352 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
blueberry key lime pies
A pie with an identify crisis, but it sounds good.

When I rode across the country I went to a county fair outside of Bowling Green, OH. Somewhere at home I have a photo of two rather large folks standing in front of the Pork-a-Lean shack. I also have a photo of two teens riding in high in a convertible during a parade. The girl is gushing and waving to the crowd like she's the queen of the fair. The guy is looking straight at the camera with a face that says "Please get me out of here."
Old 08-27-19, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz
A pie with an identify crisis, but it sounds good.

When I rode across the country I went to a county fair outside of Bowling Green, OH. Somewhere at home I have a photo of two rather large folks standing in front of the Pork-a-Lean shack. I also have a photo of two teens riding in high in a convertible during a parade. The girl is gushing and waving to the crowd like she's the queen of the fair. The guy is looking straight at the camera with a face that says "Please get me out of here."
Yesterday, as we were pulling out of our alley, I saw an obese person rolling out their driver's side door, having just parked, Big Gulp in hand. It made me physically recoil. We've been making my son walk a lot more in the last couple weeks, in anticipation of the Fair, and this made me think that I had better see to some mental preparation of my own.

"I see dead obese people..."

To be clear, it's not the obesity, in and of itself, that's the problem, but rather the obvious overindulgence coupled with a lack of culpability.
Old 08-27-19, 07:36 AM

To be clear, it's not the obesity, in and of itself, that's the problem, but rather the obvious overindulgence coupled with a lack of culpability.
I hear you. During my MT/ID tour back in June I saw a lot of it. Ate dinner out one night. The only other people in the pace were a large couple. The husband was woofing down what appeared to be a large plate of chicken fried steak with biscuits and sausage gravy. There I was trying to find something not overloaded with calories after riding 55 miles that included two rail-trail mountain passes, with three passes on the schedule for the next day.

Near the end of the trip I spent a night in Whitefish, MT, which is a prosperous part of the state that sees a lot of tourism because of its proximity to Glacier N.P. Went grocery shopping at a large Safeway and immediately noticed how much more fit people were.
Old 08-27-19, 08:11 AM
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Our annual State Fair trip is tomorrow. Hoo boy. I should probably look through some of the new food items, because most of the standards just haven't been too appealing to me the last couple years. I know that I need to visit one place that's serving blueberry key lime pies, but other than that, I'm at a loss.
Are there still lots of free yardsticks?
Old 08-27-19, 08:18 AM
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Too late to ride already. I might name September as 'ride in the evening' month. Yes, it's hotter starting out, but always cooler on the return. It's that sunset time that's scary. Need to be riding in the north/south axis during that half hour.
Old 08-27-19, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Are there still lots of free yardsticks?
My son grabbed one last year. Drove me nuts with it - if he has anything in his hands, he'll fidget and wave it around, not a good idea when it's wall-to-wall people at one of the largest State Fairs in the country (by attendance).
Old 08-27-19, 08:42 AM

Interesting. A new update brings radar (for detecting approaching cars, not for weather ) compatibility to Wahoo Element/Bolt/Roam - https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/08/...nectivity.html

I might have to keep an eye out for discounts on the Varia or new units from other makers.
Old 08-27-19, 08:46 AM
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10182 Post(s)
Liked 5,879 Times in 3,167 Posts

Opportunity to bloviate!

As a behavioral neuroscientist, I am hesitant to judge individuals too harshly. I agree that personal responsibility is paramount and without it, we are sick or sub-human, but we also are at the mercy of very powerful forces. I think the main ones are 1) deeply hard-wired preferences for sweet, starchy, and fatty foods and a food industry founded on exploiting them, 2) society and all the interpersonal and commercial messaging encouraging us to eat and eat junk, and 3) increasingly stressful environments and loss of opportunities to achieve on our own, which cause us, through cognitive and biological processes, to devalue long-term rewards and settle for immediate pleasures. I am also suspicious that there are unknown signals in the postindustrial environment that are pushing metabolism in the direction of fat storage as some sort of group-level preparation for catastrophe.

I feel the same way about environmental spoliation. We are clearly on our way to making large and, in some cases, heavily populated, areas of the earth uninhabitable, but making people trade motor vehicles and quarterly reports for rewards which they will not reap in their lifetimes seems very difficult from where I sit.
Old 08-27-19, 09:02 AM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Oh, we need one of those to lift all of the 60 + pound e-bikes we've been servicing.
They say it will handle 120 lbs.
Old 08-27-19, 09:08 AM
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22614 Post(s)
Liked 8,935 Times in 4,164 Posts
Interesting. A new update brings radar (for detecting approaching cars, not for weather ) compatibility to Wahoo Element/Bolt/Roam - https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/08/...nectivity.html

I might have to keep an eye out for discounts on the Varia or new units from other makers.
Doooo eeeeet!!

I have several friends who have the Varia and all of them like it. If I did mostly solo rides I would probably get one. Since 95% of my miles are with a group I find it less necessary.
Old 08-27-19, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Opportunity to bloviate!

As a behavioral neuroscientist, I am hesitant to judge individuals too harshly. I agree that personal responsibility is paramount and without it, we are sick or sub-human, but we also are at the mercy of very powerful forces. I think the main ones are 1) deeply hard-wired preferences for sweet, starchy, and fatty foods and a food industry founded on exploiting them, 2) society and all the interpersonal and commercial messaging encouraging us to eat and eat junk, and 3) increasingly stressful environments and loss of opportunities to achieve on our own, which cause us, through cognitive and biological processes, to devalue long-term rewards and settle for immediate pleasures. I am also suspicious that there are unknown signals in the postindustrial environment that are pushing metabolism in the direction of fat storage as some sort of group-level preparation for catastrophe.

I feel the same way about environmental spoliation. We are clearly on our way to making large and, in some cases, heavily populated, areas of the earth uninhabitable, but making people trade motor vehicles and quarterly reports for rewards which they will not reap in their lifetimes seems very difficult from where I sit.
You obviously make some good points, but there's also the immediate and clear message that our bodies send us, such as, "holy **** - I can't walk more the 3 minutes without getting winded!" I get that it doesn't happen overnight, and that the long slide has a way of normalizing some of these effects, but when you walk around a sea of people, tens of thousands of them obese (not an exaggeration in the slightest), it's all a bit much.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-27-19, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by datlas
Doooo eeeeet!!

I have several friends who have the Varia and all of them like it. If I did mostly solo rides I would probably get one. Since 95% of my miles are with a group I find it less necessary.
If it doubles as a good light, it makes the pill easier to swallow. If I can grab something in the $120 region on a Black Friday sale, I think that I'd be happy with that. And yeah, I'm riding with a group more often these days, but most of my miles are still solo.
Old 08-27-19, 09:29 AM
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

If it doubles as a good light, it makes the pill easier to swallow. If I can grab something in the $120 region on a Black Friday sale, I think that I'd be happy with that. And yeah, I'm riding with a group more often these days, but most of my miles are still solo.
My friend who lives (and commutes) in DC has one and for that type of city driving it's almost a necessity.

Good luck finding the $120 price, unless you troll scambay or CL for a gently used one, I believe MSRP is $200 and you are unlikely to find it for less than 180....that said, if you DO find it on the cheap please let me know about it!
Old 08-27-19, 09:37 AM

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
There is a banana key lime pie here in Houston that is wonderful. The old fashioned, unbaked, sweetened condensed milk variety, just thickened by the condensed milk and the egg yolks reacting with the acid in the lime juice. It is hard to find that recipe anywhere these days. Certainly not on any bottle of lime juice (not that I would use such a thing) or can of condensed milk. The egg police have erased such a thing from our knowledge base.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 08-27-19, 09:46 AM
Should Be More Popular

Hey @WhyFi, not trying to spend your money, but if you have insurance though a Blue Cross/Blue Shield plan, you can get 35% off Garmin products. I just checked and you can get the varia for $129.99 free shipping.

Likes For datlas:
Old 08-27-19, 09:53 AM
Should Be More Popular

Holy carp. I can get a Garmin Vector pedal power meter for $389 with my fancy discount.
Old 08-27-19, 10:05 AM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12805 Post(s)
Liked 7,730 Times in 4,098 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
There is a banana key lime pie here in Houston that is wonderful. The old fashioned, unbaked, sweetened condensed milk variety, just thickened by the condensed milk and the egg yolks reacting with the acid in the lime juice. It is hard to find that recipe anywhere these days. Certainly not on any bottle of lime juice (not that I would use such a thing) or can of condensed milk. The egg police have erased such a thing from our knowledge base.

As a kid I loved Key Lime Pie. I've disliked it since I was twenty something. I'm not sure what happened but I doubt blueberries or bananas would make me change my mind.

Maybe I'm missing the raw eggs of ye olde days. I know I crave Orange Julius far less now that there's no raw egg option.
Old 08-27-19, 10:24 AM

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts

Thanks for the heads up. I very well may buy one now.

Living ~30 miles from Garmin's HQ means I have several cycling friends who work there. Employee discount ftw!
Old 08-27-19, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by datlas
Hey @WhyFi, not trying to spend your money, but if you have insurance though a Blue Cross/Blue Shield plan, you can get 35% off Garmin products. I just checked and you can get the varia for $129.99 free shipping.

Oh, that's interesting, indeed.

Yeah, my $120 figure was with deep door-buster discount in mind or that of a future competitor. Until the DCR article, I didn't know that it was an existing protocol.
Old 08-27-19, 10:42 AM
smelling the roses

Opportunity to bloviate!

And in the poorer parts of the world obesity is a sign of relative wealth. I also am a studier of human behavior; I just don't have the paperwork that you have.
Old 08-27-19, 10:51 AM

I am also suspicious that there are unknown signals in the postindustrial environment that are pushing metabolism in the direction of fat storage as some sort of group-level preparation for catastrophe.
If I take off my foil hat will I suddenly have a craving for chicken fried steak with biscuits and sausage gravy, which is something I ate two years in a row in the middle of century rides? A behavior I strongly caution against.
Old 08-27-19, 10:57 AM
smelling the roses

In lieu of riding I did some yard clean-up, and topped it off by mixing cement the Mexican way. With a flat shovel on the floor of the carport. It's rewarding to realize I can still do it. And.....It was easier this time than the last time I did it. I got a better workout than if I was riding, and it was equally enjoyable. And I'm less worn out.

Old 08-27-19, 11:01 AM
smelling the roses

Originally Posted by indyfabz
If I take off my foil hat will I suddenly have a craving for chicken fried steak with biscuits and sausage gravy, which is something I ate two years in a row in the middle of century rides? A behavior I strongly caution against.
Better leave the hat on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.