Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

What to look for in an e-bike

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

What to look for in an e-bike

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-17, 04:08 PM

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by drowling23
Well, I guess I'm just used to what I'm used to. But sadly, I cannot buy the Luna bike; I reached out to them on FB and they say they are "working on" international shipping and they don't ship fully built bikes. I'd get one just for the fun of it.
I hear ya..it'd be awesome and I'm in California, but that's a big stack of cash!
Old 12-02-17, 03:22 PM

Bikes: R&M Delite GX Rohloff, Crescent Elgar 27,5 FS, Haibike SDURO HardFour 4.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To be fair the bike is not street-legal anywhere but, I don't know about USA, but in Europe nobody minds overpowered ebikes. So long as it doesn't look like a moped...
Old 12-02-17, 04:28 PM

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by drowling23
To be fair the bike is not street-legal anywhere but, I don't know about USA, but in Europe nobody minds overpowered ebikes. So long as it doesn't look like a moped...
I hear New York City is pretty much a 'no ebikes' zone, but California is as you describe. The "looks like a moped" issue is a potential problem for the Apex: I think that thing hauling down the road at 35-40mph would draw WAY too much attention.
Old 12-03-17, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 15 Posts
Scott ESUB

@angerdan "Important thing with bosch is the great support with accesoires and spare parts/batteries and service station with qualified staff."

Absolutely right Angerdan! That was what 'swung it' for me when bidding on it. The Bosch kit is reassuring quality-wise. The actual bike itself is an excellent hybrid/townbike/tourer even... Only done 10 miles yet, but it had no PDI before I picked it up, & I've been going over it to satisfy myself: )

I have little previous experience of ebikes, so this is a learning curve for me now. And looking forward to it! It's a 'funbike' for me after selling my car; )

How cool for you Drowling33 to have the same machine!!
Would you mind if I ask you some questions about it?
I put some basic pics up on my website here.

Last edited by Bicyclz; 12-03-17 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Omission: (
Old 12-04-17, 04:10 AM

Bikes: R&M Delite GX Rohloff, Crescent Elgar 27,5 FS, Haibike SDURO HardFour 4.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bicyclz
@angerdan
How cool for you Drowling33 to have the same machine!!
Would you mind if I ask you some questions about it?
I put some basic pics up on my website here.
Sure, go ahead.
Old 12-15-17, 01:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, thanks for sharing such an informative post.
Old 12-15-17, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm trying to find a bike that is 35lbs or under (with battery removed) to safely mount it on my platform rack on car.
Old 12-15-17, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
11,5kg (25lbs) including battery from an austrian company:
vivax-assist.com/en/product/e-mtb/fahrrad.php?id=1019

Price is 8149€.
Old 12-16-17, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by angerdan
11,5kg (25lbs) including battery from an austrian company:
vivax-assist.com/en/product/e-mtb/fahrrad.php?id=1019

Price is 8149€.
Good to know that lighter ones exist, although very expensive. Definitely something to put on a check mark box when shopping for one in my book.
Old 12-16-17, 11:02 AM

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
That's the point of lightweight transportation vehicles.
They have this disadvantage. Not really surprising.

If you buy a <13kg bicycle and convert it using vivax assist, you only pay 2850€ and add 1,8kg weigth to the bicycle.
vivax-assist.com/en/product/vivax-assist/vivax-assist_4-0.php
Old 12-17-17, 05:27 AM

Bikes: Home built Ebike, 2001 Diamondback bmx, Norco Katmandu hard tail mountain bike, 197? Apollo 10 speed road bike

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What to look for in an Ebike. Definitely if your mechanically inclined but not super rich a kit definitely gives you more bang for the buck.
For me the simplicity speed and regenerative braking of a direct drive hub makes direct drive my choice. 72 volt system on my wish list currently running 52v Ideally with a thermostat in motor hooked up to version 3 cycle analyst which has software to back off current as motor overheats.
A steel frame for strength not a bad idea although my bike mechanic says decent aluminum frame should be just as strong
Fenders or mud guards just don't look cool and rear carrier basically doubles in function as back fender so fenders not wanted
Full suspension. I have not owned full suspension. But the cheap mountain bike which is my Ebike platform originally came with a cheap sprung fork. Totally hated it and switched to plain solid steel fork. However just bought a used hard tail with a much nicer suntour sprung fork and definitely don't want to switch it out. You get what you pay for..... A decent used full suspension bike is well over a grand in Canada but those bikes have axle holes not drop outs so difficult to install hub motor but would make an awesome mid drive.
Battery? 52, 60, or 72 volts the ideal watt hours Moreno then I can afford
I like a simple twist throttle and pedal whenever I wish
Big tires 2.4" biggest that will fit between frame rails of what I own
I don't agree weight not an issue. I should be getting top speed of 60kmh on flat but only get 55 as I'm 230lb. Your asking the bike frame to perform beyond what it was built for so how much weight is safe? Add weight of equipment plus me plus luggage now 300 lbs bumping over potholes. Hmmmm better keep it light.
Every one is different every situation different so no wrong or right here. Oh. Here's a pic of the only cool fenders they ever made and endorsed by a sports expert to boot!
Happy Holidays
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
eatonfastb.jpeg (16.7 KB, 52 views)
Old 12-17-17, 07:17 AM

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Mandolin
What to look for in an Ebike. Definitely if your mechanically inclined but not super rich a kit definitely gives you more bang for the buck.

For me the simplicity speed and regenerative braking of a direct drive hub makes direct drive my choice. 72 volt system on my wish list currently running 52v Ideally with a thermostat in motor hooked up to version 3 cycle analyst which has software to back off current as motor overheats.

Fenders or mud guards just don't look cool and rear carrier basically doubles in function as back fender so fenders not wanted

Battery? 52, 60, or 72 volts the ideal watt hours Moreno then I can afford
I like a simple twist throttle and pedal whenever I wish
Big tires 2.4" biggest that will fit between frame rails of what I own

I don't agree weight not an issue. I should be getting top speed of 60kmh on flat but only get 55 as I'm 230lb.

Every one is different every situation different so no wrong or right here.
Oh. Here's a pic of the only cool fenders they ever made and endorsed by a sports expert to boot!
Investing 1300€ for a german design, european made MTB with Bosch motor is possible for everyone who can afford a own car. The best kit isn't that good in power/range and does cost 50% more (vivax assist).

72V isn't compatible to any bicycle light and batteries with that high voltage are rare.
36-48V is a better standard.

If cycling would be about looking cool, everyone would have a real expensive model.
It's about beeing multi-role purpose capable and easy to use/maintain. So instead of spending time after each ride to clean it up, fenders do prevent that very effective.
A rear carrier maybe stops 5% of wet and dirt during rainy weather, so you look like a mud digger on your back afterwards.

Weight isn't a issue with electric bicycles, gear and motor power are.
Only S-Pedelecs are capable of reaching 45km/h, because the needed power against the air resistance is strong at speeds higher than 40km/h.
For 60km/h there are R-pedelecs like the M1 Spitzing.

Laws do classify twist throttle on electric bicycles as motor vehicle in most countries, so no use of cycle lanes allowed, special insurance, tax has to be paid, helmet, licence plate and more expensive light needed.
eBikes - licenses, registration and insurance needed..
https://www.juicybike.co.uk/uk-europe-ebike-law
?Twist and go? type approval guidance emerges
Electric bikes and UK law: what you need to know - Cycling Weekly
Old 12-17-17, 11:02 AM

Bikes: Home built Ebike, 2001 Diamondback bmx, Norco Katmandu hard tail mountain bike, 197? Apollo 10 speed road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by angerdan
Investing 1300€ for a german design, european made MTB with Bosch motor is possible for everyone who can afford a own car. The best kit isn't that good in power/range and does cost 50% more (vivax assist).

72V isn't compatible to any bicycle light and batteries with that high voltage are rare.
36-48V is a better standard.

If cycling would be about looking cool, everyone would have a real expensive model.
It's about beeing multi-role purpose capable and easy to use/maintain. So instead of spending time after each ride to clean it up, fenders do prevent that very effective.
A rear carrier maybe stops 5% of wet and dirt during rainy weather, so you look like a mud digger on your back afterwards.

Weight isn't a issue with electric bicycles, gear and motor power are.
Only S-Pedelecs are capable of reaching 45km/h, because the needed power against the air resistance is strong at speeds higher than 40km/h.
For 60km/h there are R-pedelecs like the M1 Spitzing.

Laws do classify twist throttle on electric bicycles as motor vehicle in most countries, so no use of cycle lanes allowed, special insurance, tax has to be paid, helmet, licence plate and more expensive light needed.
eBikes - licenses, registration and insurance needed..
https://www.juicybike.co.uk/uk-europe-ebike-law
?Twist and go? type approval guidance emerges
Electric bikes and UK law: what you need to know - Cycling Weekly
Firstly you can get an Ebike light that works from 12 to 100v and everything in between

ElectroLights - Product Info

Secondly where I live any electric bike is cool it's rare to see. Every body can't afford an expensive Ebike but let's face it all ebikes are cool but no fenders are cooler. Did you see my pic? Cool factor very tongue in cheek
Thirdly any Ebike with a big enough motor will exceed 45kph. I cruise at 50 kph and get a top speed of 55 kph on the flats I paid around 1400 Euros for my kit no way I could buy factory Ebike for that money giving me this much performance
And yes weight does matter because I would be getting a top speed of 60 kph if I weighed 175 lbs instead of my 230+ lb.

And U.K. has some draconian laws on the books and I'm truly sorry for you.

Here in Canada rule is motor has to be 500w or under How you control it is up to you I believe twist throttle ok. and where I live the police are way too busy to worry about me what with gang warfare shootings fentanyl crisis the petty crime from the many junkies with mental health issues etc etc

And so is my bike legal? I don't know I'm no electrician.

Futility of Motor Power Ratings

Ultimately there is no right or wrong answer just personal preference.

Cheers

Last edited by Mark Mandolin; 12-17-17 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-17-17, 11:53 AM

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Mandolin
Firstly you can get an Ebike light that works from 12 to 100v and everything in between
ElectroLights - Product Info

And U.K. has some draconian laws on the books and I'm truly sorry for you.
Here in Canada rule is motor has to be 500w how you control it is up to you and where I live the police are way too busy to worry about me what with gang warfare shootings fentanyl crisis etc etc

Ultimately there is no right or wrong answer just personal preference.
It's not an eBike light, only a searchlight with mount adapter to put it on mtb's. Real (e)Bike lights are designed for road use like car headlights. This means a cutoff-beam shape, optics with hidden LEDs, air optimized cooling design and remote controls.
bikeforums.net/electronics-lighting-gadgets/435347-best-headlights-under-50-thread-33.html#post19987793
supernova-lights.com/en/products/e-bike-lights-45-kmh/

Since i'm not affected by UK laws, you don't have to be sorry (for me).

Many things are compromises.
For fenders these are optical expectations vs. practical advances.
Old 12-17-17, 01:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Angerdan, true it might not be a headlight in the sense of cut off beam (which I don't understand but will research) but is a light that can be powered by a 72 volt system.
There is no right or wrong answer especially since I don't know German laws.
Here in Canada it is the law to have lights of no specified type except white on front red on rear a 10 euro kit from Wallmart will suffice for bike or ebike to conform. Law rarely enforced so it really is the wild west as to what you can get away with
Note comment after your post in light thread. buddy using LED light mounted on his head. He's happy and great if you need to change a flat in the dark.
I don't care if my bike is dirty they all have to sit outside in the rain anyways do they have coin wash car washes in Europe. I take mine to one of those mostly to wash chain and derailier for reliability. Very casual here on the west coast nobody wears a suit even to weddings so I dress for comfort and wear rain pants and rain jacket designed for construction workers sweaty for regular bikes but perfect for ebikes.

I'm sure living in Germany you have different perceptions and different needs.
What to look for in an Ebike a loaded question like what to look for in car.
Everyone have different needs laws and law enforcement fluctuate through many regions. I thank you for taking the time to reply to my posts
Old 12-18-17, 02:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In many European countries there's a whole set of laws regarding lights, but generally you need to have front white or yellow light, rear red light, when traveling on public roads you must also wear a helmet and have reflectors.

None of this is enforced, but it's a good idea to have these things, especially in winter.