Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Swift folders

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Swift folders

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-06, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JTriumph
In his presentation at Trophy's Round-Up in Philly, Peter mentioned the new steel version. The goal was to change the geometry to get it to fit in the Samsonite Oyster suitcase.
how is it that the steel version of the bike didn't fit in the case? steel tubing would be smaller than the aluminum tubing, right?

did he mean fit in with minimal disassembly? the alum version apparently fits in the oyster with wheel removal:

https://www.xootr.com/xootr/swift/packing.shtml

Last edited by sanford_w/o_son; 06-14-06 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-14-06, 01:29 PM
All ur bike r belong Enki

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The goal was to change the geometry to get it to fit in the Samsonite Oyster suitcase.
I'm guessing that means shortening the top tube, as that looks to be the part that if shortened would facilitate packing into a suitcase much more easily. I guess it wouldn't effect the ride quality if he elongated the rear triangle to compensate for the shortened top tube. The bike will just need to be spec'ed with a longer stem.
Old 06-14-06, 02:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sanford_w/o_son
how is it that the steel version of the bike didn't fit in the case? steel tubing would be smaller than the aluminum tubing, right?

did he mean fit in with minimal disassembly? the alum version apparently fits in the oyster with wheel removal:

https://www.xootr.com/xootr/swift/packing.shtml
Neither of the suitcase models shown on the Xootr website is the Oyster, a smaller model. The new steel model, when available, will fit in the Oyster. Peter didn't mention whether the new frame will be available in aluminum.
Old 06-14-06, 02:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Neither of the suitcase models shown on the Xootr website is the Oyster, a smaller model. The new steel model, when available, will fit in the Oyster. Peter didn't mention whether the new frame will be available in aluminum.
Actually, it does say that on the website it should fit in the "Oyster", but in the demo page it describes the suitcase as a "30 inch vertical", which is a bit bigger than the Oyster.

Suitcasewise, I'm a bit out of my depth here. Peter said he wanted it to go into the Oyster. I'm sorry I can't say exactly what he meant, and how it corresponds the "30 inch vertical" on the website.
Old 06-14-06, 03:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got a Swift! I sent an email to Peter a week or two ago, and was waiting for a response, when a SwiftFolder showed up for sale on Craigslist. I paid $200 for it, which may have been a bit on the high side, considering that it was a late 1990's model and the internal hub gears are currently not switching (broken cable).

... and later that very night, got a response back from Peter, promising to answer my questions about a customized Swift in more detail. I feel pretty silly for having wasted his time.

All in all, I think it'll be worth it. I had also emailed HPM out in Oregon to ask about the Swift and their Phaser recumbent, and found out from them that bare Swift framesets are now $600. So, even if I wind up ditching most of the componentry on my Swift (I don't think that I will), I'm still getting started at a lower buy-in price.

I have a lot of work to do now, and need to get started identifying what's on here before I can start tearing it down, cleaning it up and building it back up. The paint has seen better days, but that's not as big a concern for me as what's inside.

Is there anything in particular I should do with the frame other than cleaning it up? I think I remember reading about someone in here treating their folding bike frame innards with linseed oil. Is that overkill? I'm in Jersey, so the bike is subject to road salts but not really at the ocean front or on a boat.
Old 06-14-06, 04:12 PM
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Someone else also got a new toy today....

Ride reports in a week or two, when I've put a few hundred miles on it.
Old 06-14-06, 08:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bookishboy
I just got a Swift! I sent an email to Peter a week or two ago, and was waiting for a response, when a SwiftFolder showed up for sale on Craigslist. .
So you're the guy that got the Swift on Craigslist. Well, happy building...it should make for a great ride. BTW, don't sweat the price. Remember, the steel frame swift is the only swift you can install a front derailleur. For that alone it's worth the price. BTW, there was a Raleigh Twenty up for $75, too.

Juan
Old 06-15-06, 10:26 AM
Professional Fuss-Budget

OK, so as a new Xootr Swift owner, can anyone explain / recommend....

1) A good rack?
2) How to carry my Topeak Road Morph pump, if I don't leave the rack on?
3) How to carry a 2nd water bottle, if I don't leave the rack on?
4) Does the ride feel any rougher with Marathon 100psi tires, compared to the 65psi Kenda tires?

I'm using my Twofish removable cage on the handlepost, and that's working out pretty well so far. But if I'm going for more than an hour, I like to ride with 2 bottles -- one water, one energy drink, hence 3).
Old 06-15-06, 10:34 AM
Folding bike junkie!

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Get a clamp-on rack that goes to your seatpost. Nashbar had some nice ones that would even take panniers. You may need a lightly longer screw though for the clamp part.

Use Velcro for your morph pump on the frame. Like the Velcro wrap for power cords and tie it around a frame tube or your seatpost if necessary or along a rear frame arm.

Minoura water bottle mount most anywhere. Or get one of their double ones that go under your seatpost.

Don’t buy Marathons. They are heavy, slow (compared to others) and don’t ride well. I’d highly suggest Big Apples over Marathons any day. Apples are the comfiest fast tire you will probably ride on. They are not THE fastest but they are pretty good. Faster than the Marathons I had and tossed. Another option would be Scorpions in the 406 size. They are very fast tires too.

Last edited by Wavshrdr; 06-15-06 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-15-06, 11:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm using Primo Kevlar Comets, 100PSI, on my DT and am pretty happy with them. These were upgraded from the stock Kendas (65PSI). The difference is noticeable. I think I remember reading someone else, James Swift maybe, saying that he used these specifically on his Swift and was impressed with them.
Old 06-15-06, 12:53 PM
Clydesdale, for now.

Bikes: Giant Escape M2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by guydickinson
when I came across the swift. Coincided with a New York trip, so I test rode one around Brooklyn, talked to Peter about what I needed and he built one up on the next available batch of aluminium frames.

Hi there - thinking of a folder, and see more and more nice things about the Swift.... my question is this - did you get hit with any import charges on the way back from the States? I figure that a nice trip to NYC and WAshington would nearly pay for itself (!) if I got one of these things at source without import fees....

Cheers!
TARGET 168lbs
Old 06-15-06, 03:38 PM
Professional Fuss-Budget

One trip to the hardware store later:

Looks like the best spot for the pump is at the bottom of the seatpost, the velcro holds it pretty well down there. Bottle cage right the seatpost is a "no go" for me, as I have a wedge with tools, spare cash, copy of ID, keys etc.

Originally Posted by Wavshrdr
Get a clamp-on rack that goes to your seatpost.
Sadly, I already have one (the Topeak) and it doesn't fit.

I shot off a note to Xootr, perhaps they'll suggest something. No rush on it, though, as I don't know yet whether or not the Swift will become my touring machine.

RE: tires, good to know, the more recommendations the merrier. I happen to have the Marathons and I thought they'd be better than the stock tires, but maybe not. I'll stick to the stock tires until I figure out how I plan to use the bike. Maybe we need a sticky on the best tires for 20" wheeled bikes.
Old 06-15-06, 04:07 PM
All ur bike r belong Enki

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I dread the 65psi Kendas. My 'Hon Vitesse came with them, and they suck. I swapped them out for the 100psi Kendas from my Swift. I figure Xootr is replacing the 100psi Kendas with the 65psi to give a more comfy ride, but I think the ride is more "squishy" than comfortable. They just feel weird and wear quicker than the 100psi.

Originally Posted by bookishboy
I'm using Primo Kevlar Comets, 100PSI, on my DT and am pretty happy with them. These were upgraded from the stock Kendas (65PSI). The difference is noticeable. I think I remember reading someone else, James Swift maybe, saying that he used these specifically on his Swift and was impressed with them.
Yeah, I have the 20x1.35 Comets. Excellent tire, but I'd recommend getting the 20x1.50 size. They give a more comfortable ride, and actually have less rolling resistance than the 20x1.35. Comfort AND performance...not squish.

I'm currently waiting on the Scorcher TR tires. I sent an email to Hostelshoppe, and they said they'll be getting new stock "soon". BTW: does anybody know of any other US distributor for the Scorcher TR, besides Hostelshoppe?
Old 06-15-06, 05:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don’t buy Marathons. They are heavy, slow (compared to others) and don’t ride well. I’d highly suggest Big Apples over Marathons any day.
Errr... Big Apples weigh MUCH more than the standard marathons. Though, if you a refering to the marathon plus', then that is a different story. And yet I have to disagree. Having used both the standard marathons and big apples on my Dahon, would have the marathons over the big apples any day.
Old 06-15-06, 06:07 PM
Neat - w/ ice on the side

Bikes: 2005 Dahon Speed TR, 2006 Dahon Mu SL, 2000 GT XiZang, 1999ish Rock Lobster, 2007 Dean Animas CTI

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
Looks like the best spot for the pump is at the bottom of the seatpost, the velcro holds it pretty well down there. Bottle cage right the seatpost is a "no go" for me, as I have a wedge with tools, spare cash, copy of ID, keys etc.

Get a clamp-on rack that goes to your seatpost.
Sadly, I already have one (the Topeak) and it doesn't fit.
Pletscher makes a couple of quick release racks that fit the dahon seat post and I suspect will fit the xootr seat posts too. The quick release ones are down near the bottom of the page.

regarding the two fish water bottle - can you not fit two on the handlebar post? one cocked a little to the left and the second just above it so that it's velcro strap runs behind the top of the wire cage of the first two fish? The second one, of course, cocked to the right a little? Or maybe front and back completely opposite sides of the handlebar post one slightly higher, - you can drink one water bottle then swap for the full one.
Old 06-15-06, 07:00 PM
Professional Fuss-Budget

H'm, "yes" Marathons, "no" Marathons.... Anyone try the Stelvios or Racers on an XSwift?

James: I think the 65psi's are the same as I got on my Dahon, and actually they suited that bike pretty well. Not very rugged, though.

Originally Posted by dalmore
regarding the two fish water bottle - can you not fit two on the handlebar post? ....You can drink one water bottle then swap for the full one.
Y'know, I hadn't thought of that. I think the front-back will work out ok, side-to-side is just a little too goofy. I may try to resolve the rack dilemma before picking up another Twofish.

Man, at this rate the bike will be covered with crap by the end of the week. All I need is a bike flag and I'll be totally nerded out.
Old 06-15-06, 08:02 PM
Folding bike junkie!

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by markh73
Errr... Big Apples weigh MUCH more than the standard marathons. Though, if you a refering to the marathon plus', then that is a different story. And yet I have to disagree. Having used both the standard marathons and big apples on my Dahon, would have the marathons over the big apples any day.
Never said the Apples were lighter. Marathons are heavy. My point was the Apples are fast and comfy. I did coast down testing on my Apples and the Marathons and the Apples beat the Marathons every time by a wide margin. The marathon pluses are tanks but very hard to get a flat.

On my hill (which isn't glass smooth) my Swift did often as good if not better than my bike with Stelvios did. The Stelvios did better when the road was VERY smooth. The rougher the pavement the more the Apples seem to have an advantage.

For a tire comparison see here if you haven't already. Marathons are NOT efficiently rollling tires. Matter of fact at 100PSI few tires were worse than they were.

https://www.discoveryride.com/human/rolling.html
Old 06-15-06, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
H'm, "yes" Marathons, "no" Marathons.... Anyone try the Stelvios or Racers on an XSwift?
I've been running Stelvios on mine almost since new... on Kinetix wheels.. Stelvios are super tires and about as fast as you can get.. they can be a harsh ride if inflated to the max.. that is why I'm also running a Pantour hub up front.. I used a Minoura mount on the handlepost for a water bottle and it also supports a pump off of the mounting screws..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Swift.jpeg.JPG (88.8 KB, 204 views)
Old 06-16-06, 06:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BruceMetras
I used a Minoura mount on the handlepost for a water bottle and it also supports a pump off of the mounting screws..
Bruce, do you find any reach problems with the water bottle on the front of the head tube? Juan
Old 06-16-06, 08:22 AM

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by juan162
Bruce, do you find any reach problems with the water bottle on the front of the head tube? Juan
I don't find it a problem (it's actually on the steering tube)... it's better for me there than behind me on the seatpost (where I put a 2nd bottle).... that photo above doesn't show the bottle installed, but I use the oversize bottles and the top of the bottle rests just under the handlebar (which also keeps it from popping out unexpectantly)... The Xootr site gallery has a pic of my bike... the cage is mounted slightly higher now then when the picture was taken.

Bruce
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bottle-pump.jpg (74.0 KB, 139 views)
Old 06-16-06, 08:43 AM

Bikes: Giant OCR 2, Flyte SRS 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I replaced the Big Apples on my Helios P8 with some Marathon Racers and I think the Marathons are a faster tire but I would expect a much higher psi narrower tire to be faster. It is a much harsher ride than the Big Apples so I guess it is all what your priority is.
I have the Stelvios on my Bike Friday Pocket Pilot and they are very fast. Much faster than the Kenda Kwest's that came on the bike.
Kenal0
Old 06-16-06, 09:10 AM
Professional Fuss-Budget

Originally Posted by BruceMetras
I've been running Stelvios on mine almost since new... on Kinetix wheels.. Stelvios are super tires and about as fast as you can get.. they can be a harsh ride if inflated to the max.. that is why I'm also running a Pantour hub up front..
H'm, some of those components look like they're from a Dahon Speed....

So with the Pantour/Stelvio combo: The Stelvios will be very fast on smooth pavement, but the suspension of the Pantour hub ought to slow you down a bit. It seems like those elements are at cross purposes, and you'd get the same results with tires that aren't as fast but have a smoother ride. Am I missing something?
Old 06-16-06, 09:37 AM

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
H'm, some of those components look like they're from a Dahon Speed....

So with the Pantour/Stelvio combo: The Stelvios will be very fast on smooth pavement, but the suspension of the Pantour hub ought to slow you down a bit. It seems like those elements are at cross purposes, and you'd get the same results with tires that aren't as fast but have a smoother ride. Am I missing something?
Wheels/tires/9sp derailleur/seat/seatpost and probably something I'm forgetting all came off of my Jetstream XP which got the Schlumpf/Shimano hubgear transplant.... the Xootr/Swift with 406 Stelvios is actually faster with the Pantour hub as it allows you some compliance over street irregularities and tracks better through the turns at speed.....shock does not transmit through the handlebars and the whole bike feels smoother... the Xootr with Stelvios and Pantour hub is more comfortable (shockwise at the handlebar) then my recently built Chameleon (520mm/25mm Panaracers with a carbon fork)... the Stelvios are also much lighter than most tires, so you will be faster accellerating.... in my experience, if all out speed is what you want, the lightest wheel/tire combo with the least rolling resistance will give it to you, providing you can control the bike.

Bruce
Old 06-16-06, 12:10 PM
Live to ride

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
silver xootr swift

I am thinking about a silver xootr swift. Is the silver more of a metallic/pearl finish or flat finish? Is this liquid paint or powder coat? Also, is there clearcoat?
thanks.
Old 06-16-06, 01:33 PM
Folding bike junkie!

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
It is more of a metallic finish. It looks quite nice. I am pretty sure it is painted. I don't remember if it is clear coated or not. I bought a Swift partly because I wanted powder coating.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.