Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXV

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXV

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-19, 02:48 PM
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Nice retired racer ride, today. Stopped at my local greasy spoon for a salad on the way home. Apologies for the shiny, new, white bar tape.

Better white bar tape (if you must) than white hoods.
Old 08-01-19, 02:48 PM
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13748 Post(s)
Liked 4,549 Times in 2,522 Posts
Nice retired racer ride, today. Stopped at my local greasy spoon for a salad on the way home. Apologies for the shiny, new, white bar tape.

Old 08-01-19, 03:03 PM
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Wow, that sucks. I bet the coffee and donuts are long gone too.
Actually, when I wrote that last I had just returned from a walking trip to Office Depot and a grocery store for some fruit. I personally drank most of the very weak coffee and a goodly share of the muffins. I read some more of Mike Gazzaniga's(sp?) book on the split brain, on my kindle (you're probably on a first name basis with that guy). Not a terrible day, all in all. I did have things to do at home though. Ultimately they found a corroded connection up under the driver's side fender near the firewall. The water didn't come in via the fender well, because the plastic guard is in tact. It came in through the grill during a passage through deep water, and then got stuck in there.

Deep water in the streets is quite common here during the rainy season. The streets are narrow, old, colonial streets, with no storm sewers, and intersections considerably lower than the rest of the street. It is quite possible to become trapped in Merida, during a heavy rain, until the water subsides some. And our little town is not immune to this either. But there are more options for avoiding it. When I told the Mrs. what caused the problem, she raised her hand and took responsibility. But I also have driven through deep water. It cannot be avoided except to not drive at all during those times.

Last edited by seedsbelize; 08-01-19 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-01-19, 03:10 PM
smelling the roses

Originally Posted by Jadesfire
Vet tech for 17 years. $800 for a teeth cleaning, even including pre-op blood work, is ridiculous unless they are also including possible multiple teeth removal in the estimate.
- However, I know we're in different cost-of-living areas- though her annual check-up bill is about what I used to bill clients in private practice and what I pay now as a pet owner. So just to give you some idea, a basic cleaning with no tooth removal (which it doesn't read from your description as though this would be necessary) around here would run around $200.

- Something you might want to check on is if there are any special deals coming up- quite a few clinics run dental specials once a year, usually in February (National Pet Dental Month).

-There are some commercially available treats and special brushes/toothpastes but a.) I've never seen anyone have any particular success, b.) they won't have any effect on the tartar that is already present, just slow the progression of further build-up- the plaque build-up already visible on the teeth would have to be professionally removed, and c.) often the treats that are marketed to pet owners can cause digestive upset.

Honestly, if she's a healthy adult cat with no other issues I wouldn't be concerned. If you should notice her having difficulty chewing (spitting out half-chewed kibble and/or favoring one side or the other), that would be a sign that something would absolutely need to be done. Getting the work done sometime in the future (meaning more likely than not years rather than months), or as an add-on during some other procedure that would require intubation, sounds 100% reasonable.
Road trip @datlas
Old 08-01-19, 03:28 PM
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22681 Post(s)
Liked 9,005 Times in 4,192 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadesfire
Vet tech for 17 years. $800 for a teeth cleaning, even including pre-op blood work, is ridiculous unless they are also including possible multiple teeth removal in the estimate.
- However, I know we're in different cost-of-living areas- though her annual check-up bill is about what I used to bill clients in private practice and what I pay now as a pet owner. So just to give you some idea, a basic cleaning with no tooth removal (which it doesn't read from your description as though this would be necessary) around here would run around $200.

- Something you might want to check on is if there are any special deals coming up- quite a few clinics run dental specials once a year, usually in February (National Pet Dental Month).

-There are some commercially available treats and special brushes/toothpastes but a.) I've never seen anyone have any particular success, b.) they won't have any effect on the tartar that is already present, just slow the progression of further build-up- the plaque build-up already visible on the teeth would have to be professionally removed, and c.) often the treats that are marketed to pet owners can cause digestive upset.

Honestly, if she's a healthy adult cat with no other issues I wouldn't be concerned. If you should notice her having difficulty chewing (spitting out half-chewed kibble and/or favoring one side or the other), that would be a sign that something would absolutely need to be done. Getting the work done sometime in the future (meaning more likely than not years rather than months), or as an add-on during some other procedure that would require intubation, sounds 100% reasonable.
Thanks! Very helpful.

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Road trip @datlas
I would consider it. The Saturn can handle it. But I don't think Jackie can.
Old 08-01-19, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Quoted: 11993 Post(s)
Liked 6,715 Times in 3,511 Posts

Hot!
Old 08-01-19, 03:56 PM
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Gorgeous.

I noticed the sign in the background and started to hear Flo say "Kiss my grits, Mel!"
Old 08-01-19, 05:24 PM
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10205 Post(s)
Liked 5,908 Times in 3,184 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Wagon with a six speed manual transmission.
I know. Wife had a dirty 2009 Jetta diesel with the six speed auto and paddles on the wheel. Thing was fun and they bought it back in 2016 for 15k.
Old 08-01-19, 07:08 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 247 Post(s)
Quoted: 11438 Post(s)
Liked 4,805 Times in 2,794 Posts
I know. Wife had a dirty 2009 Jetta diesel with the six speed auto and paddles on the wheel. Thing was fun and they bought it back in 2016 for 15k.
VW is buying us a bunch of charging stations. SMH
Old 08-01-19, 07:14 PM
• —

Originally Posted by LAJ
VW is buying us a bunch of charging stations. SMH
They are serious about the US market and greenwashing their image. I believe they were one of the four companies to sign the emissions agreement with CA.
Old 08-01-19, 07:28 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 247 Post(s)
Quoted: 11438 Post(s)
Liked 4,805 Times in 2,794 Posts
They are serious about the US market and greenwashing their image. I believe they were one of the four companies to sign the emissions agreement with CA.
This is settlement money. Not a lick of it is going towards any diesel program stuff. You should have seen the people discussing where and how the money was going to be divvied up. The drooling was hard to hide.
Old 08-01-19, 07:35 PM
• —

Originally Posted by LAJ
This is settlement money. Not a lick of it is going towards any diesel program stuff. You should have seen the people discussing where and how the money was going to be divvied up. The drooling was hard to hide.
Ah, I see.
Old 08-01-19, 07:59 PM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10991 Post(s)
Liked 4,662 Times in 2,142 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Gorgeous.

I noticed the sign in the background and started to hear Flo say "Kiss my grits, Mel!"
One of the breakfast items is called, “Flo’s.” It’s chopped ham, scrambled eggs, and hash browns.

Old 08-01-19, 08:15 PM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I still can't believe how slow they've been in terms of introducing and expanding electric/hybrid vehicles, 'specially given that scandal. We kept an eye on their offerings for years until we gave up on it.
Old 08-01-19, 08:26 PM
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts

Hot.
Old 08-01-19, 09:39 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 12870 Post(s)
Liked 7,792 Times in 4,133 Posts
One of the breakfast items is called, “Flo’s.” It’s chopped ham, scrambled eggs, and hash browns.
no grits

in corn country

sad
Old 08-02-19, 04:19 AM
• —

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I still can't believe how slow they've been in terms of introducing and expanding electric/hybrid vehicles, 'specially given that scandal. We kept an eye on their offerings for years until we gave up on it.
Wife replaced hers with a Mazda 3, which runs circles around the Jetta. Given our greenish tendencies and minimal transportation requirements, there is a high likelihood our next vehicle will be at least partially electric.
Old 08-02-19, 05:14 AM
Super Modest

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
no grits

in corn country

sad
You can substitute grits for the potatoes.

Old 08-02-19, 06:10 AM
Should Be More Popular

Good news: Epic Ride planned with my friends for tomorrow morning. Looks like a great route.
Bad news: Weather forecast (as of now) says heavy thunderstorms tomorrow morning. I hope that changes.
Old 08-02-19, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18489 Post(s)
Liked 15,786 Times in 7,412 Posts
BUT....the vet said Jackie has some tartar issues on her teeth and some gingivitis in her gums, and said that unchecked this could cause immune problems down the road, so they do suggest she get this treated.

The estimate for the dental work, including preop blood work, anesthesia, etc. comes to approx $800 which may not seem like a lot, but my wife totally balked "we are not spending $800 to get her teeth cleaned!"
Stephen had really bad gums. Dental work at The Cat Doctor this spring cost me $1,500, but that included 7 extractions. My poor departed boy needed dental work twice, especially since he was FIV+. Once was around $800. The other time it was around $1,200. But again, both those treatments involved extractions. And note that The Cat Doctor is not on the inexpensive side. In sum, $800 for cleaning seems high based on my experience.
Old 08-02-19, 06:34 AM
Super Modest

We had a registered oriental shorthair who we loved dearly but evidently didn't love enough to take to the vet regularly - my fault and it troubles me to this day. Anyway, he developed gum disease and we didn't know it. By the time we figured it out, his kidneys were damaged and he died a year later. We didn't notice he was in pain because the little guy talked a lot anyway and always wanted to be held so being sick didn't really seem different. However, if we hadn't been negligent in our healthcare duties, he would have lived several years more.

Old 08-02-19, 07:08 AM

Wife replaced hers with a Mazda 3, which runs circles around the Jetta. Given our greenish tendencies and minimal transportation requirements, there is a high likelihood our next vehicle will be at least partially electric.
I drove quite a few Mazdas with our ZipCar membership when we still lived in Brooklyn. Fun driving cars, but many seemed a bit "racer boy" in terms of style, which I wasn't a fan of. Not sure if that is still the case.

For our next, I'd really like a 100% electric. Or a hybrid that can run in electric mode with a ~40 mile range - that might be the best of both worlds. We'd be able to run almost exclusively on electricity around town and still have the range for day trips/road trips, which are a big part of our family time.
Old 08-02-19, 07:13 AM
• —

I drove quite a few Mazdas with our ZipCar membership when we still lived in Brooklyn. Fun driving cars, but many seemed a bit "racer boy" in terms of style, which I wasn't a fan of. Not sure if that is still the case.
Yes, but my wife is a racer boy.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 08-02-19, 07:14 AM
Should Be More Popular

For our next, I'd really like a 100% electric. Or a hybrid that can run in electric mode with a ~40 mile range - that might be the best of both worlds. We'd be able to run almost exclusively on electricity around town and still have the range for day trips/road trips, which are a big part of our family time.
I would love a full electric car. My commute is only 10 miles each way. I rarely go more than 40 miles. So an electric would suit me, but the cost compared to a Saturn is large. The saturn gets 38MPG so not bad for old tech. Maybe I can look for an old used Leaf that has old batteries which only hold a charge for 50 miles, dirt cheap?
Old 08-02-19, 07:33 AM

I would love a full electric car. My commute is only 10 miles each way. I rarely go more than 40 miles. So an electric would suit me, but the cost compared to a Saturn is large. The saturn gets 38MPG so not bad for old tech. Maybe I can look for an old used Leaf that has old batteries which only hold a charge for 50 miles, dirt cheap?
You know, with that kind of commute, you might want to look in to a pedal assist bike.

I jest, but actually... I'd strongly consider it if I were in the same position.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.