Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Full face helmet for road

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Full face helmet for road

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-16, 11:03 AM

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Xherion
I have never seen a full face helmet on the road. I would imagine it would be uncomfortably hot and you'd really notice the weight on long rides. You'd also probably get a lot of odd stares. But to each his own. I doubt a full face helmet would be that much safer on the road since it's pretty uncommon to crash and hit the lower part of your face.
I do not wear a full face helmet, but I would not be so dismissive as to say that it is uncommon to see crashes impact the lower part of the face.
I have not seen many crashes in person but the last two that I did see resulted in pretty bad facial injuries. Both riders suffered from orbital fractures and one had the fractured cheek bone to go along with it. Both accidents also resulted in pretty bad facial cuts and lacerations.
I freely admit that I have no desire to wear a full face helmet but I would not discount them as not saving some injuries. They would simply be too hot and uncomfortable for me.
OP, to answer your question...Yes it would be different as it is not something that you see often. However, you have to do what you feel provides you with the most comfort.
Likes For Shuffleman:
Old 10-30-23, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In terms of giving that ultimate head protection, nobody would deny that full-face motorcycle helmets are best. And if you have seen how perfectly a good one covers the head, face as well as neck area, you’ll not ask why.

These are always in trend and need! because apart from the protection, there are a bunch of other fabulous benefits of using it. Blocking the UV rays, giving you complete security against winds, bugs and even keeping the noise minimal. A well-chosen full-face helmet can really prove to be a lifelong favorite type of most riders.
Old 10-30-23, 01:39 PM

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 328 Posts
Personal choice - who cares what other people think?

Back when I used to MTB regularly I was crashing so often than I did consider a full face helmet as well as guards for the arms and legs. But then I questioned my riding behavior instead - why should I be choosing to ride in such a manner that I'd expect to crash to frequently?

When I moved over to road and commuting, I went through phases of not wearing a helmet at all to now where I wear just a regular road helmet for all types of riding. It's better than nothing but I'm off the opinion that if a bus or an SUV hits me, a helmet isn't going to save me regardless.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 10-30-23, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 339 Posts
What is it with thread necromancy this week?

Reads like an AI post.

Last edited by choddo; 10-30-23 at 01:56 PM.
Likes For choddo:
Old 10-30-23, 03:26 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I use a standard road helmet with my road bikes and a standard mountain bike helmet with my mountain bikes. Only if I was doing downhill racing with a bike would it make sense to get a full face helmet.
People are more inclined to wear protective helmets with many sports and that is a bad thing only in that it reduces the organ donor pool.

After Sony Bono went off the course on his skis and hit a tree and died there were a lot more recreational skiers wearing helmets on the ski runs. At the Lake Tahoe ski resorts the ski patrol people started calling skier accidents with head injuries a "bono".
Old 11-05-23, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4496 Post(s)
Liked 4,973 Times in 3,074 Posts
Originally Posted by frothyflavors
In terms of giving that ultimate head protection, nobody would deny that full-face motorcycle helmets are best. And if you have seen how perfectly a good one covers the head, face as well as neck area, you’ll not ask why.

These are always in trend and need! because apart from the protection, there are a bunch of other fabulous benefits of using it. Blocking the UV rays, giving you complete security against winds, bugs and even keeping the noise minimal. A well-chosen full-face helmet can really prove to be a lifelong favorite type of most riders.
Oh look, another joker playing with AI bots
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-05-23, 08:39 PM

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked 1,930 Times in 858 Posts
AI brings 7 year old thread to life…amazing indeed
Old 11-06-23, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Ride_better
I have a mountain bike, but only ride on road, because the down hill track is under construction. I need to get a new helmet, and I belive that a full face down hill helmet would protect your head better that a standard helmet, because your face and jaw aren't exposed. I want to get a bell sanction, but I was wondering if you guys would think it would be weird to wear a full face on a paved bike path.
I think your best protection on a bike is situational awareness, and you’re giving up a lot of that - heading, field of vision - with a full face lid.