Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Need Strong Nipples! (no pun int)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Need Strong Nipples! (no pun int)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-19, 10:32 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,356 Times in 863 Posts
Nips of Brass has been great for decades , on wheels older than most posters in this forum...
Old 04-08-19, 01:33 PM

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 238 Posts
Those are good nipples for what it's worth. The black finish on nipples doesn't often hold up so I wouldn't judge based on that alone. If you want to really be able to go at nipples with abandon I'd recommend DT Swiss Squorx, or really anything designed to be tensioned from the back. Technique is also relevant--some Easton wheels spec 160KGF DS and use normal brass nipples on the DS and aluminum on the NDS. To get the wheel built to tension you basically need to build the wheel as described in this article: https://www.wheelfanatyk.com/blog/wh...right-to-left/ with the right side brought to about 120kgf before bringing the wheel into dish and lateral true working only on the left. If you tried to build the wheel symmetrically to that tension you would destroy all the DS nipples.
Old 04-08-19, 02:47 PM
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
You also refer to the bow and stern or front and rear. It doesn’t matter what you call the left or right side of a boat or a bike or a car because they are all directional. They all have a left and right side that is unambiguous without any other designation. “Port” and “starboard” are just conventions used like putting the drive side on the right for bicycles.

If 5% of bicycles had left hand drives you might have a point. But the number of bicycles with left hand drives is vanishingly small. I work at my local co-op and see roughly 1500 bikes per year. Over the 10 years I’ve volunteered there, I’ve put hands on 15,000 bicycles. At a 5% rate, I should have seen 750 bicycles with left hand drives or 7.5 per year. I have yet to see a single left hand drive. Until you posted the above picture, I didn’t even know that any were made. And that one is relatively new and, from what I can see in other photos of track events, a rarity.

I would put the rate of left hand drive bicycles that anyone might encounter at far less than 0.0000001% of bicycles. That’s low enough that I’m on very firm ground saying that “all” bicycles have right hand drive.
You're kind of missing my point, which is simply that DS and NDS are a more precise and reliable terms to indicate the side of a bike than right and left. I really do identify with what you are trying to say, which is that since DS is by convention on the right, everybody should know that right means DS. This relies on the assumption that most people think like you and me, which they don't. Right and left are always relative to something and we shouldn't rely on other humans relating to a thing the same way that we might (or think they should). If a US model car has a non-functional driver-side headlight and you asked 10 people which side was out, more than half would say left; however you would have a few that would say "right".

In any case, I'm afraid the near future may confound the terms DS and NDS making my point moot. I discovered something new to me today - E-bike pedal - assist conversion kits that mount the motor and drive a separate sprocket on the left side. Conventional drivetrain on the right. (See how I used your preferred terms there).

You did miss my point about sailing: If you are sailing with me at the helm and I tell you to move to starboard that means that I want you to move to the left if you are facing me and to the right if you are facing forward. If I used the term "right", you would have to decide whether I meant move to your right or my right, which could lead to undesired but interesting drama if you went wrong.
Old 04-08-19, 05:03 PM

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha Co-pilot, Habanero custom commuter, Seven Axiom SL, Seven Axiom SLX, Blom Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
The thread shouldn't strip if the correct length spoke is used. Use a good quality 4 sided spoke wrench.
I prefer sapim nipples which work just fine on DT spokes as they have a better angle where they contact the rim.
Old 04-08-19, 10:04 PM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6250 Post(s)
Liked 4,273 Times in 2,393 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoopdriver
You're kind of missing my point, which is simply that DS and NDS are a more precise and reliable terms to indicate the side of a bike than right and left. I really do identify with what you are trying to say, which is that since DS is by convention on the right, everybody should know that right means DS. This relies on the assumption that most people think like you and me, which they don't. Right and left are always relative to something and we shouldn't rely on other humans relating to a thing the same way that we might (or think they should). If a US model car has a non-functional driver-side headlight and you asked 10 people which side was out, more than half would say left; however you would have a few that would say "right".
I’m not missing your point. I just don’t feel it is a valid point. Since there are so few left hand drivetrains...maybe a few hundred out of millions of bikes...we don’t need to be that percise. If someone doesn’t know which side of the bike is right or left, that’s their problem. They are probably going to be confused no matter what term you use. If they don’t know left from right, they probably are going to be clueless about drive side and nondrive side. Abbreviate it as DS and NDS and they are going to be completely lost.

In any case, I'm afraid the near future may confound the terms DS and NDS making my point moot. I discovered something new to me today - E-bike pedal - assist conversion kits that mount the motor and drive a separate sprocket on the left side. Conventional drivetrain on the right. (See how I used your preferred terms there).
The drive on a motor is different from the drivetrain. People have been adding drive units to bicycles for ages. The first “motor bike” was just a bicycle frame with a motor. Whizzer made motorized kits for bicycles as well as productions models from 1939 to the 1960s. It doesn’t cause that much confusion since the drive unit for the motor is separate from the bike’s drive unit.

But E-bike drive units are being placed all over the bikes. Some are in the bottom bracket, some in the wheels, some are friction drive on the tire, etc. The placement hasn’t yet settled into a standard.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!