Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.1

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-21, 07:31 PM
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8843 Post(s)
Liked 2,991 Times in 1,738 Posts
Velo Vol Come on down!
Old 01-05-21, 07:46 PM
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
I spent 6 years traveling for work. Getting stuck at airports. Getting bumped off of overbooked flights.
I remember I got bumped from a flight in Denver. Till the next day@ like 3;00pm. So I spent 4 hours in the airport lounge and got absolutely pie eyed! Passed out in the gate till the morning. I didn't leave until like 8pm. They just kept pushing the flight back. Hung over, no shower. same clothes. Oh the memories...
Old 01-05-21, 07:52 PM
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
One last thought on the comfort animal. In my opinion if you bring a comfort animal they should have to be certified and have training. I don’t understand why someone would think it’s okay to bring there dog on a plane that hasn’t been trained. The amount of stress you are putting on that animal, not to mention the disregard for other paying passengers.

I forgot, in today’s society it’s all about me, I only live once, and everyone else can be offended.
Story you might like.

We like to go Belize, and stay on Ambergris Caye. Fly into BZE, and then take Tropic Air to San Pedro. The plane to San Pedro is typically a Tropic Air Cessna 208B carrying 15 plus a pilot (one passenger rides shotgun). On our last trip returning to BZE, the low fuel light came on about midway thru the flight while we were over water and nowhere to land. The pilot didn’t show any concern, but radioed that he needed immediate clearance to land. Got to the airport, and he put the plane down faster than I’ve ever seen. When the planed stopped, the pilot slammed his door open, jumped out cursing like a sailor, and gave the ground crew a real ass chewing. All in Spanish, of course.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 01-05-21, 07:56 PM
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28622 Post(s)
Liked 1,858 Times in 1,320 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
Velo Vol Come on down!
Why bother?

Old 01-05-21, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8285 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
One last thought on the comfort animal. In my opinion if you bring a comfort animal they should have to be certified and have training. I don’t understand why someone would think it’s okay to bring there dog on a plane that hasn’t been trained. The amount of stress you are putting on that animal, not to mention the disregard for other paying passengers.

I forgot, in today’s society it’s all about me, I only live once, and everyone else can be offended.
Jim Jefferies had a show on Comedy Central and he showed how easy it was to get an animal "certified" as an emotional support animal. He had a camel certified and he brought it on stage. Of course, the camel pissed all over the stage. (nsfw)

Last edited by big john; 01-05-21 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-05-21, 08:30 PM

Bikes: Yes please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by kissTheApex
Yay! First pair of shoes in 10 years arrived, but Look memory cleat attachment seems to be missing in the soles
And baaaack they go to be replaced with all red version...

Oh well, at least I can knock my heels together and be transported back home when I get too tired to pedal. Funny that of all the color combinations there is, only the one I chose did not have the keo memory eyelets.
Old 01-05-21, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11972 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts

We see it all the time with this covid thing, people refusing to sacrifice, they just HAVE to visit the family for the holidays. They think of nobody but themselves, just very selfish, immature, entitled people. 3,000+ people per day are dying because of these selfish people. And guess who's going to want to get to the front of the line for their shots.
/rant
Old 01-05-21, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11972 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
I flew a couple times back then, and a smoker. Its weird to think about it now.
It was incredible, and it was normal. Following takeoff the seatbelt sound would go 'ding' and half the plane would light up, all at the same time. It was like being at a poker game with your buddies, just thick smoke filling the air . . . no fresh air to be had anywhere on the plane.
Old 01-05-21, 09:12 PM
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
The good old days!
Old 01-05-21, 09:17 PM
VFL For Life

Slow night. Everyone must be scheduling COVID vaccinations at their nearby doctor's office.
Old 01-05-21, 09:29 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11403 Post(s)
Liked 4,761 Times in 2,770 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Slow night. Everyone must be scheduling COVID vaccinations at their nearby doctor's office.
Or doing 5x6' 105% @50 Cadence.

I better be able to pick up a corner of the house when I'm done with this strength phase, or I'll be disappointed.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 01-05-21, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8285 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
It was incredible, and it was normal. Following takeoff the seatbelt sound would go 'ding' and half the plane would light up, all at the same time. It was like being at a poker game with your buddies, just thick smoke filling the air . . . no fresh air to be had anywhere on the plane.
My first job was in the kitchen of a hospital. We could smoke almost anywhere in the hospital, including elevators and patient rooms and cafeteria.

I worked as an electronic assembler. We sat on barstool type things and smoked all day. I would run out of money and cigarettes by Wednesday so I would bum smokes from the women I worked with. One of them gave me a carton of Winstons for Christmas.

Those days people smoked in restaurants. I hated that, even when I was a smoker.
Old 01-05-21, 10:07 PM
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by LAJ

I better be able to pick up a corner of the house when I'm done with this strength phase, or I'll be disappointed.
Kudos. I can't even lift my body enough to do a proper pull-up . . . but I'm getting close.
Old 01-06-21, 12:15 AM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
My first job was in the kitchen of a hospital. We could smoke almost anywhere in the hospital, including elevators and patient rooms and cafeteria.

I worked as an electronic assembler. We sat on barstool type things and smoked all day. I would run out of money and cigarettes by Wednesday so I would bum smokes from the women I worked with. One of them gave me a carton of Winstons for Christmas.

Those days people smoked in restaurants. I hated that, even when I was a smoker.
My first job out here, in 1982 at Genentech, everybody in the lab I worked in except me smoked. Not in the lab, though - except the Senior Scientist in charge of the lab. But he only worked in the lab when nobody else was there. You could tell he'd been there, though, because there'd be a line of cigarette butts burned down to the filter on the bench. He'd stand them up on the filter end between drags - on the same bench where we did plasmid and phage preps with E. coli.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-06-21, 04:17 AM
he said member

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Kudos. I can't even lift my body enough to do a proper pull-up . . . but I'm getting close.
Fatty...sad.
Old 01-06-21, 04:19 AM
he said member

Originally Posted by LAJ

Id be willing to bet , you could already do that. You just want to make it look easy now.
You know....for style points..
Old 01-06-21, 04:32 AM
he said member

New, carbon, tubeless, aero, u shape, 55mm hoops are ON.THE. WAY!
And, I blew out a new Kinetic (kenda) trainer tire. Put 3/4" gash in the side wall when it went. Fml! Of course trainer tires are scarce as hens teeth atm. So $40.00 +tax to replace it. That's just cray cray.
Did a meet up with the guys on my Thursday night ride on zwift yesterday. I was late. Man that was hard. 207 watts average for the hour. Thats my best so far. Its coming up slowly every couple rides. This is probably some of the best training I've ever done. Its unbelievable how much I'm getting out if this.
Old 01-06-21, 04:57 AM

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,185 Times in 2,226 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ

that sounds brutal. How long do you do you hold that for? 30 seconds?
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 01-06-21, 04:59 AM

I remember when cracker barrel had the smoking side and non smoking side. Every 6 months they would switch the sides around, seemed like you could still sell the cigarettes for years after they put a stop to it.
Old 01-06-21, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by ls01
New, carbon, tubeless, aero, u shape, 55mm hoops are ON.THE. WAY!
And, I blew out a new Kinetic (kenda) trainer tire. Put 3/4" gash in the side wall when it went. Fml! Of course trainer tires are scarce as hens teeth atm. So $40.00 +tax to replace it. That's just cray cray.
Did a meet up with the guys on my Thursday night ride on zwift yesterday. I was late. Man that was hard. 207 watts average for the hour. Thats my best so far. Its coming up slowly every couple rides. This is probably some of the best training I've ever done. Its unbelievable how much I'm getting out if this.
Are you using trainer road with it or any other kind of program?
Old 01-06-21, 05:55 AM
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
What’s the point of a “trainer tire?” Isn’t it easier to use an old regular tire that’s mostly (or fully) worn?
Old 01-06-21, 05:55 AM
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
We see it all the time with this covid thing, people refusing to sacrifice, they just HAVE to visit the family for the holidays. They think of nobody but themselves, just very selfish, immature, entitled people. 3,000+ people per day are dying because of these selfish people. And guess who's going to want to get to the front of the line for their shots.
/rant
I’m happy if they get vaccinated. They are a risk to everyone and the vaccine protects us all!
Old 01-06-21, 06:10 AM
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts

Originally Posted by genejockey
My first job out here, in 1982 at Genentech, everybody in the lab I worked in except me smoked. Not in the lab, though - except the Senior Scientist in charge of the lab. But he only worked in the lab when nobody else was there. You could tell he'd been there, though, because there'd be a line of cigarette butts burned down to the filter on the bench. He'd stand them up on the filter end between drags - on the same bench where we did plasmid and phage preps with E. coli.
When I was in grad school, smoking in a lab would be a firing offense because it was bad or the rats!

When I was a medical student and a resident in the 80s, every nurses’ lounge was a foul, smoky, lair and patients and visitors lit up in the lobbies. As a student rotating in a fancy, uptown, hospital, I saw a medical resident run a wee hours code with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. Big cool factor.
Old 01-06-21, 06:38 AM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
What’s the point of a “trainer tire?” Isn’t it easier to use an old regular tire that’s mostly (or fully) worn?
My trainer tire is much smoother, more quiet and is less inclined to slip than when I was using old road tires. And, while it's never happened to me, I hear that some people have also had problems with regular tires throwing off rubber dust, and the trainer tires are supposed to resist that, too.
Old 01-06-21, 06:41 AM
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
My trainer tire is much smoother, more quiet and is less inclined to slip than when I was using old road tires. And, while it's never happened to me, I hear that some people have also had problems with regular tires throwing off rubber dust, and the trainer tires are supposed to resist that, too.
I use an old tire. There is a teeny but real amount of black rubber dust that I noticed, so that could be a factor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.