Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring sleeping bag suggestions?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Touring sleeping bag suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-17, 06:24 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
re sleeping pads, if you are fine sleeping on the ground without one (cold notwithstanding) then thats up to you. If you haven't camped much though, there are a whole ton of good pads out there, in all kinds of price ranges. The inflatable ones make a real diff in sleeping comfort, and if you want super simple, and for little cost, folding or rolled up foam type ones (even Thermarest makes these) may be fine for you.

I'd suggest going to an outdoor store like REI on a slow morning, and laying down on all kinds of mats on the store floor, thats how I made a decision getting a new mat after ages of using the same types in our family.
There are all kinds of thicknesses also, but like with everything, it comes down to balancing cost/size/weight/comfort, and what works for you.
We camp a lot. Once or twice a month twelve months a year. We travel pretty light so if we got a pad it'd have to be A) under a pound B) be able to fit both of us on it and C) not too expensive

Originally Posted by bikemig
Pads are one of those things that make camping a whole heck of a lot better. I realize that YMMV but if you haven't tried one, you should borrow one and see what you think.
I don't know what YMMV means same with the stuff @fietsbob said above.
Old 01-16-17, 06:45 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,356 Times in 863 Posts
Your Mileage May Vary, phrase comes from car advertising..

POOSSLQ, a phrase meaning living together .
people of opposite sex sharing living quarters .

being LGBQ accepting I revised to also include same sex..

but of course that can include room-mates , without going under the blankets together..

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-16-17 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-16-17, 07:15 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2745 Post(s)
Liked 978 Times in 800 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeliciousBabe
We camp a lot. Once or twice a month twelve months a year. We travel pretty light so if we got a pad it'd have to be A) under a pound B) be able to fit both of us on it and C) not too expensive
Its up to you, but I figure its worth at least seeing whats out there, and there are lots.
You'll see that what works for you now will change as the years go along, but if you're happy now with X, or not even X, and you get a decent nights sleep, then thats the only important thing.
When that changes, there are lots of options.
Old 01-16-17, 10:17 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Your Mileage May Vary, phrase comes from car advertising..

POOSSLQ, a phrase meaning living together .
people of opposite sex sharing living quarters .

being LGBQ accepting I revised to also include same sex..

but of course that can include room-mates , without going under the blankets together..
Oh! Got it! Haha I call him my other half. My boyfriend of 8 years I'm 23. Yes, I know I look 12

Originally Posted by djb
Its up to you, but I figure its worth at least seeing whats out there, and there are lots.
You'll see that what works for you now will change as the years go along, but if you're happy now with X, or not even X, and you get a decent nights sleep, then thats the only important thing.
When that changes, there are lots of options.
Thanks djb!
Old 01-17-17, 02:25 AM

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
I don't know if I follow all the reasons here but are you saying you camp without a sleeping pad? How many nights have you done?

FWIW (google it) I slept without a pad and without a tent until I wa 21, done probably 200 nights outdoors during that era from 5th grade to adulthood. It's not something you see nowadays as there are sensible alternatives. Back then I had a cotton insulation filled sleeping bag on top of waxed cotton camo tarp military groundsheet with a second groundsheet (same military surplus camo) over the sleeping bag like a second blanket.

Today I would probably stack two fleece blankets if I couldn't use down bags or common synthetic bags. They sell them with zippers like sleeping bag liners.
Old 01-17-17, 08:49 AM
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
Today I would probably stack two fleece blankets if I couldn't use down bags or common synthetic bags. They sell them with zippers like sleeping bag liners.
I was actually thinking about carrying a fleece blanket for a summer trip I'm doing. I have a synthetic sleeping bag liner that's very small and light, and it's actually good on its own for a lot of the warmer stuff I do around here. But I'm going up towards Canada in June and I'm not sure that's going to be enough. I don't want to take my winter bag (mainly because of bulk, not weight) but want a little extra insurance. Seems like a good way to go. Cheap, light, and won't take up much space.
Old 01-17-17, 09:24 AM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I don't know if I follow all the reasons here but are you saying you camp without a sleeping pad? How many nights have you done?
I've done it plenty. I like hard surfaces, Even when I don't, I only use those blue foam pads.

I'm forced to buy a "proper" pad for my next trip, as I don't have the space in luggage for the blue rolls and I can't guarantee clean grassy spots to camp. I guess I'll see what I've been missing out on.
Old 01-17-17, 01:03 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

FWIW (google it) I slept without a pad and without a tent until I wa 21, done probably 200 nights outdoors during that era from 5th grade to adulthood. It's not something you see nowadays as there are sensible alternatives. Back then I had a cotton insulation filled sleeping bag on top of waxed cotton camo tarp military groundsheet with a second groundsheet (same military surplus camo) over the sleeping bag like a second blanket.

Too many to count! I've done 3 tours (30-60 days/each), backpacked parts of the CDT in Colorado, the PCT in Washington and Oregon (10-14 days/each trip) and have been camping at least one or two weekends a month every month of the year for the past 8 years or so. Among other numerous short tours and backpacking trips.

I sleep better on hard surfaces as does my other half. Even our mattress at home is one of the firmer memory foam ones.

That and we don't have much room for any additional gear. We travel pretty light!

Originally Posted by jefnvk
I've done it plenty. I like hard surfaces, Even when I don't, I only use those blue foam pads.

I'm forced to buy a "proper" pad for my next trip, as I don't have the space in luggage for the blue rolls and I can't guarantee clean grassy spots to camp. I guess I'll see what I've been missing out on.
Yes! Read my comments to pedalingwalrus!

Which pad are you looking at? We've looked at this one Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XLite Sleeping Pad | Backcountry.com
Old 01-17-17, 01:19 PM

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Although I live on the East Coast I've done the CDT in Wyoming. Wow - best backpacking evar :-)
Old 01-17-17, 01:24 PM

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5892 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 2,081 Posts

I've been using this for summer tours; light and works very well:

https://www.thermarest.com/catalog/p...t/category/15/
Old 01-17-17, 01:41 PM

This is similar to how I grew up sleeping outdoors ...

or similar in this photo folder I googled up https://www.michalkupsa.cz/priloha-89...akem-2847.html

... I've upgrades since I could earn my own money. :-)
Old 01-18-17, 12:00 AM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4435 Post(s)
Liked 4,084 Times in 2,722 Posts
Hi. I finally joined bike forums. Looking for advice on a new touring sleeping bag!

My spending limit is $300. I'm looking for one <+25*F and <2lbs. I prefer male sleeping bags since female ones are often heavier and have a higher EN rating.

I'm 4'11" & 98lbs if that helps narrow it down.

Here's the catch...

The sleeping bag must be vegan. I won't use any product that contains any type of animal product.

Thanks much
Welcome, welcome welcome!!!!!!!!!! If the name doesn't give it away, I am vegan and always happy to see others especially asking about more than just food : )

As far as bag I am quite happy with my Mountain Hardwear UltraLumina. I have the 45 degree version but they get warmer and I believe they now have the HyperLamina which is way lighter but eliminates a full zip and instead has a half zip in the middle. Their 20˚ version is a touch over 2lbs but is within price and certainly a nice one. I might end up with one of the Hypers at some point because I could use something a little warmer for some trips.

Make sure you have a good sleeping pad as that is crucial to staying warm. You could have a -25˚ bag in 45˚ weather and still be cold if you don't have something insulating you from below. Most of your heat is going to be lost through the ground. Plus a pad will add some comfort depending on the pad. My choice would be one of the new Sea To Summit pads they are pretty light (depending on model), really top notch in comfort, easy/quick to inflate and deflate and won't get moldy inside. They aren't the cheapest pads but probably the best I have seen or used and after a long day in the saddle or hiking around price can drown in a lake, comfort is key!

Feel free to PM me if you have any other vegan questions, I love it when I get a chance to help a fellow vegan out!

xVx
Old 01-18-17, 08:11 AM

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 434 Posts
I'll reiterate what's been said, a pad is not only for comfort, it's for insulation. Look at getting a long Z-rest pad and cutting it in half for just your torso, and you and your friend can share the low cost, about $25 and a half pound each. The extra insulation will make your nights much warmer. It's amazing how much heat can be conducted out of your body into the earth.

Then seriously reconsider your aversion to quilts. The enLightened Equipment quilt I bought for my last long bike tour was the best piece of outdoor gear I've ever invested in. I resisted a quilt for decades--bad move.
Old 01-18-17, 12:07 PM

Bikes: Fuji Touring + Fuji Sportif 2.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i do not know but if u have any possibility to buy from Europe, try Decathlon shops...They have really cheap sleeping bags...
Old 01-18-17, 12:52 PM
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3131 Post(s)
Liked 2,113 Times in 1,376 Posts
I'm sort of curious how you ensure that a synthetic bag is also vegan. Chemicals used to make plastics come from a lot of places, not just oil wells. Does anyone certify these things? If Mountain Hard Wear also makes down bags, is that a moral problem for buying their synthetic model? Given the kind of people who backpack, it seems like there would definitely be a market for high performance gear that was certified somehow. Or are you better off looking for something made of plant fabric even if it's heavier and absorbent?

I didn't know they were owned by Columbia, either
https://www.mountainhardwear.com/sustainability.html
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 01-18-17 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-18-17, 02:16 PM
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
If not Down the filling is an Oil/Gas Byproduct. ethically, consumerism, it's a Lose-Lose Thing..
Reminds me on this old Hudson Bay blanket I had as a kid. Rolled it up and lashed it to my boy scouts frame pack and off I'd go. Itchy-scratchy warmth. Back in the day, nobody cared if you built a campfire, and that old wool blanket did the trick. Dad gave me a Coleman sleeping bag for Christmas one year. It was okay, but it was SO bulky, and SO heavy, not to mention that it stank of chemicals and was hotter than blue blazes to sleep in. I used it a couple times, but swapped it for a fishing pole the following year.

Wool is ethical.
Old 01-18-17, 04:31 PM
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
sustainability
Not only does Columbia own Mountain Hardware but also Sorel, prAna, and Montrail brands.

I work at Nike, headquartered about 2 miles from Columbia Sportswear. Point being we work with them a lot. Good company.
Old 01-18-17, 05:33 PM
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
I'm 23. Yes, I know I look 12
Don't be sad about that! Lol, I looked like I was twelve until I was mid-40's. I had a whole military career and was retired and STILL got no respect or credibility because of how young I looked.
Old 01-18-17, 05:38 PM

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5892 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 2,081 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
i'll reiterate what's been said, a pad is not only for comfort, it's for insulation. Snip . . .
+ 1.
Old 01-18-17, 06:13 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Welcome, welcome welcome!!!!!!!!!! If the name doesn't give it away, I am vegan and always happy to see others especially asking about more than just food : )

As far as bag I am quite happy with my Mountain Hardwear UltraLumina. I have the 45 degree version but they get warmer and I believe they now have the HyperLamina which is way lighter but eliminates a full zip and instead has a half zip in the middle. Their 20˚ version is a touch over 2lbs but is within price and certainly a nice one. I might end up with one of the Hypers at some point because I could use something a little warmer for some trips.

Make sure you have a good sleeping pad as that is crucial to staying warm. You could have a -25˚ bag in 45˚ weather and still be cold if you don't have something insulating you from below. Most of your heat is going to be lost through the ground. Plus a pad will add some comfort depending on the pad. My choice would be one of the new Sea To Summit pads they are pretty light (depending on model), really top notch in comfort, easy/quick to inflate and deflate and won't get moldy inside. They aren't the cheapest pads but probably the best I have seen or used and after a long day in the saddle or hiking around price can drown in a lake, comfort is key!

Feel free to PM me if you have any other vegan questions, I love it when I get a chance to help a fellow vegan out!

xVx
Thank you! Nice to meet you! I'll check out that sleeping bag. We live next to Mountain Hardware with access to the company store so we can probably save a bundle! As for the sleeping pad... We don't use one! Neither of us gets cold enough and haven't found them necessary.

Love meeting a fellow vegan!

Originally Posted by andrewclaus
I'll reiterate what's been said, a pad is not only for comfort, it's for insulation. Look at getting a long Z-rest pad and cutting it in half for just your torso, and you and your friend can share the low cost, about $25 and a half pound each. The extra insulation will make your nights much warmer. It's amazing how much heat can be conducted out of your body into the earth.

Then seriously reconsider your aversion to quilts. The enLightened Equipment quilt I bought for my last long bike tour was the best piece of outdoor gear I've ever invested in. I resisted a quilt for decades--bad move.
We've looked at one from REI. We camped this weekend in single digit/low teens temps. Using our REI Mojave +15 bag (we share it). One night on a borrowed pad. One night without. We both slept better without the pad. The hard surface, while a little colder, was much more comfortable to us!

Originally Posted by NoControl
Don't be sad about that! Lol, I looked like I was twelve until I was mid-40's. I had a whole military career and was retired and STILL got no respect or credibility because of how young I looked.
Lol Good to know!

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I'm sort of curious how you ensure that a synthetic bag is also vegan. Chemicals used to make plastics come from a lot of places, not just oil wells. Does anyone certify these things? If Mountain Hard Wear also makes down bags, is that a moral problem for buying their synthetic model? Given the kind of people who backpack, it seems like there would definitely be a market for high performance gear that was certified somehow. Or are you better off looking for something made of plant fabric even if it's heavier and absorbent?

sustainability
They're certified, yes! As Ty mentioned, Columbia owns a lot of other companies!
Old 01-18-17, 10:10 PM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4435 Post(s)
Liked 4,084 Times in 2,722 Posts
Thank you! Nice to meet you! I'll check out that sleeping bag. We live next to Mountain Hardware with access to the company store so we can probably save a bundle! As for the sleeping pad... We don't use one! Neither of us gets cold enough and haven't found them necessary.

Love meeting a fellow vegan!
No problem, nice to meet you as well. Check it out, it is a swell bag. They make a ton of great stuff though I will say their gloves could use some larger sizing.

I wish Arc'teryx made their Atom series as a top end sleeping bag. At my old work place it was basically part of the uniform because it was such an awesome jacket. Heck I think one of our employees had two or three different ones (a vest and two jackets LT and SV) or if Sea To Summit would put some synthetic bags on the market. They make some über light stuff using exploitation but talking to Barry (their rep and also Ask Boz) when he came by the shop I frequently mentioned they should go for a synth bag.

Surprised that you don't like sleeping pads, my back can't handle without it. That is why I love hammocks so much. Pads are also so crucial for insulating so maybe you could take a warmer weather bag.
Old 01-19-17, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had very good experiences with my Marmot Cloudbreak 30. It's synthetic and packs down to about 10" tall by 6" across with the help of the compression straps. However, I would not say that it's usable down to 30 degrees. Personally, I'm comfortable down to about 45, but I run pretty cold. Still, this is a great lightweight sleeping bag that is very appropriate for touring when nights don't fall below 40 degrees.

I'm in the market for a 0 or 10 degree bag for winter touring.
Old 01-19-17, 09:18 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
No problem, nice to meet you as well. Check it out, it is a swell bag. They make a ton of great stuff though I will say their gloves could use some larger sizing.

I wish Arc'teryx made their Atom series as a top end sleeping bag. At my old work place it was basically part of the uniform because it was such an awesome jacket. Heck I think one of our employees had two or three different ones (a vest and two jackets LT and SV) or if Sea To Summit would put some synthetic bags on the market. They make some über light stuff using exploitation but talking to Barry (their rep and also Ask Boz) when he came by the shop I frequently mentioned they should go for a synth bag.

Surprised that you don't like sleeping pads, my back can't handle without it. That is why I love hammocks so much. Pads are also so crucial for insulating so maybe you could take a warmer weather bag.
We have a few hammocks! Both Enos. We sleep comfortable in our double nest. We use an underquilt with it along with our REI Mojave +15 bag but most nights the bag stays open. Too warm combined with the underquilt.

I'll check out the bag!

From a short tour we did in September 2016 (Portland to Eugene!)

Originally Posted by suburbanbeat
I've had very good experiences with my Marmot Cloudbreak 30. It's synthetic and packs down to about 10" tall by 6" across with the help of the compression straps. However, I would not say that it's usable down to 30 degrees. Personally, I'm comfortable down to about 45, but I run pretty cold. Still, this is a great lightweight sleeping bag that is very appropriate for touring when nights don't fall below 40 degrees.

I'm in the market for a 0 or 10 degree bag for winter touring.
I don't think that would work! We're doing the Southern Tier next month. Not quite warm enough for that. But thank you for the suggestion.
Old 01-24-17, 11:46 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi! I ended up getting a Mountain Hardware HyperLamina Flame +21*F bag. Weighs 1lb 13oz. Regular price at REI was $240 but on sale for $209 and had a $20 off anything over $100 purchase card so paid $189 for it.

I imagine we'll use his bag most nights but glad I got one!!!