Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What FRED gift did you get from non-cycling persons?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What FRED gift did you get from non-cycling persons?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-11, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,217 Times in 773 Posts
Originally Posted by DropDeadFred
wow, I don't see why everybody is going off on the OP...clearly its a crappy gift.....
See this is where you and the OP are wrong. Maybe neither of you have had enough time or experience to have a decent perspective on this. OP just sounds like a self centered, immature person, which is understandable and excusable, to a certain extent among young people. On the other hand, neither of my kids was like this beyond about 12 years old.

Anyway, my point is that it's not a "crappy gift" worthy of "disgust". Actually, it is a really nice piece of equipment and something that indicates that the giver wants to support the receiver's outdoor pursuits.

What you guys think is "crappy" and worthy of "disgust" is that this perfectly fine, good quality, thoughtful gift is not what he (OP) wanted. Just because it's not what he wanted does not mean it's not thoughtful or a nice item.

See the difference? A few years under the belt will reveal a lot of this stuff to you guys if you pay attention to life a little.
Old 12-29-11, 12:57 PM
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,724 Times in 2,541 Posts
People don't realize how hurtful the rejection of gifts are. Accept the gift and appreciate the thought.

my mother in law never accepts any gifts that my wife gives her, it's like a joke. One time I spend a decent amount of time picking out some earrings for my wife and she took them back. Then later she realized that they were much better than what she ended up with and apologized. But the damage was done and let her buy things like that for herself. My daughter has gotten the bug, she was furious over the gifts she got this year and made a big scene. She has been off at college and we have no idea what to get her, but my wife felt compelled to get her something. I've been telling my wife for a couple of years that there is an easy solution to that problem -- cash or nothing with a preference on the "nothing" side. Some people never learn without some natural consequences.
Old 12-29-11, 01:41 PM
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
People don't realize how hurtful the rejection of gifts are. Accept the gift and appreciate the thought.

my mother in law never accepts any gifts that my wife gives her, it's like a joke. One time I spend a decent amount of time picking out some earrings for my wife and she took them back. Then later she realized that they were much better than what she ended up with and apologized. But the damage was done and let her buy things like that for herself. My daughter has gotten the bug, she was furious over the gifts she got this year and made a big scene. She has been off at college and we have no idea what to get her, but my wife felt compelled to get her something. I've been telling my wife for a couple of years that there is an easy solution to that problem -- cash or nothing with a preference on the "nothing" side. Some people never learn without some natural consequences.
+1

The joke I repeat over and over is, "surprise her by getting exactly what she wants." Except I don't deviate from that plan with a couple individuals. After you make someone upset too many times just for trying to do a good thing, you quit trying. Even if you get exactly the right thing (because you were told) it takes most of the joy out of it, because it's no longer a gift in the real sense of the word.

One gift that would benefit some people is the ability to see the world through the eyes of others.
Old 12-29-11, 01:46 PM
Lotus Monomaniac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Finding good gifts for people is an art.

Not everyone is an artist or has the ability to become an artist.
Old 12-29-11, 02:19 PM
Spinning @ 33 RPM

Bikes: '89 Fuji Saratoga, '97 Schwinn Mesa SS, '07 Felt F1X, '10 Transition TransAM, '11 Soma Analog SS

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I work at a bike shop.
My Grandmother gave me a gift card to a different bike shop.
Awkward.
Old 12-29-11, 02:42 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Wow, the OP really sounds like someone who needs to HTFU.
Old 12-29-11, 02:46 PM
W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I find it appalling that people automatically assume this guy isn't grateful for the gift he received.
I struggle to find people gifts because I absolutely refuse to buy things that someone won't use. I find wasting money repulsive and just as I don't want to waste money on people I wouldn't want them to waste it on me. This doesn't make one ungrateful, in fact just the opposite.

This thread is pretty funny though. It's fun to see the crazy things people get for Christmas from people when they think you're 'in to' something.
Old 12-29-11, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by ancker
I find it appalling that people automatically assume this guy isn't grateful for the gift he received.
I struggle to find people gifts because I absolutely refuse to buy things that someone won't use. I find wasting money repulsive and just as I don't want to waste money on people I wouldn't want them to waste it on me. This doesn't make one ungrateful, in fact just the opposite.

This thread is pretty funny though. It's fun to see the crazy things people get for Christmas from people when they think you're 'in to' something.

LOL. Disgust and grateful are emotions that usually go together.
Old 12-29-11, 03:50 PM

Bikes: Caad8, Mukluk 3, Trek Superfly, Gary Fisher Irwin.

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Glynis27
I work at a bike shop.
Awkward.
lol. they also got me a gift card to the bike shop/bakery wine bar that used to be affiliated with my club but is now only a bakery and wine bar. The new shop across the street which is now affiliated with the club they clearly did not visit.
Old 12-29-11, 03:56 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jrobe
LOL. Disgust and grateful are emotions that usually go together.
True. I was grateful at the gesture but disgusted at the gift itself. Fact: That pack is horrible for cycling although great for ultra desert hiking hence the name of the pack, MOJAVE 8.0.
Old 12-29-11, 04:08 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by banerjek
Now I'm confused. I thought you were screwing around -- this is serious? It's really bad karma not to appreciate good thoughts even if they take misdirected forms.

It takes a long time for family and friends to grok this stuff. Over time, mine have come to appreciate that I spend a fortune on my habit and am very particular about certain details. But I appreciate all efforts and even newbies to the game can come up with decent ideas -- one of my young nephews picked out a chamois to wipe down my racing bike so it would be pretty. Score!

Why take it cycling? That looks like a hiking pack to me when a backpack would be overkill. In any case, it can be lent out to people who'd like to use it.
I was speaking honestly, just saying I wrote it with too harsh a tone. I come from people who usually put a lot of thought into every gift for each person so they get something they can use. The gift I got seemed more of a shot in the dark, which would have not been the case if they went to a proper bike shop which to me is a no brainer
Old 12-29-11, 04:11 PM

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work at a bike shop.
Awkward.
Now that rat thar, that's funny!
Old 12-29-11, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You doubtlessly come off as a conceited prickly runt to anyone over the age of 40. These are the people who don't seem to realize the worthlessness of justifying the existence of this sort of cheaply made crap unable to hold up to even the most casual of use. Not to mention the probable health benefits of being contact with it. Every year there is a new round of utterly worthless gag gifts that have no intrinsic or artistic value and end up being stashed away to satisfy that persons need for approval. Seeing this came from the parents I would take the trouble to sort this out in person with both of them with frank non-offensive language. If they as adults find your reasoning disposable then make it clear their outlay of presents is at best donor material. That is life and the sooner you level the playing field the better your relationship and respect for each other will mature to the point you can at least communicate.
Old 12-29-11, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick Bain
True. I was grateful at the gesture but disgusted at the gift itself. Fact: That pack is horrible for cycling although great for ultra desert hiking hence the name of the pack, MOJAVE 8.0.
Good thing Minnesota is a giant desert.
Old 12-29-11, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by david58
Sounds like maybe a joke you didn't get...
wouldn't be the first time
Old 12-29-11, 09:43 PM
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Snydermann
Finding good gifts for people is an art.

Not everyone is an artist or has the ability to become an artist.
And sometimes you have no canvas or paint to work with. I'm impossible to buy for because I have a good job and get everything I want. Plus, I literally don't want more stuff as I don't like replacing things that are perfectly serviceable.

I think it would be great if more people simply didn't try to find stuff for me -- I know I'm impossible because I can't find stuff for me. Frankly, an SMS wishing me well or just a bit of friendly time is what I really value.
Old 12-29-11, 10:11 PM

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 129 Posts
I work at a bike shop.
Awkward.
Laugh it up - I'm sure everyone will think it is funny if you explain it.

But make sure you go in to the shop wearing the uniform/shirt etc from your shop!
Old 12-30-11, 03:15 AM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I work at a bike shop.
Awkward.
She didn't want you to know how much she paid for it :-)
Old 12-30-11, 09:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by miyata man
You doubtlessly come off as a conceited prickly runt to anyone over the age of 40. These are the people who don't seem to realize the worthlessness of justifying the existence of this sort of cheaply made crap unable to hold up to even the most casual of use.
Maybe most of the folks over 40 understand that the relationship is far more important than what is in the package, and that gratitude for the very idea that someone would try and bless you with something for your hobby is appropriate. No matter how misguided the attempt. Certainly not worth of "disgust."

I realize that "this sort of cheaply made crap" is not quality stuff, as you define it. However, this old fart would smile, be thankful for the motivation for the gift, and not have to put on an act to hide the disgust on my face. Nor would I have a lecture in my pocket ready to pull out to discuss the "crap."

Not to mention the probable health benefits of being contact with it. Every year there is a new round of utterly worthless gag gifts that have no intrinsic or artistic value and end up being stashed away to satisfy that persons need for approval.
You have an extremely jaded view of why gifts are given. Have you ever given a gift because you wanted to do something nice for or bless another person?

Seeing this came from the parents I would take the trouble to sort this out in person with both of them with frank non-offensive language. If they as adults find your reasoning disposable then make it clear their outlay of presents is at best donor material. That is life and the sooner you level the playing field the better your relationship and respect for each other will mature to the point you can at least communicate.
WTF? Maybe you need to consider sorting things out and figuring out that you are extremely presumptuous to be able to dictate what someone else might give you - kinda like asking what's for dinner before accepting the invitation. Or what's in the box before you open it.

It isn't too hard to consider a gift as just that - not the article, but the heart behind it. If someone gives me something in love and care, I'm good and I'm blessed.

Last edited by david58; 12-30-11 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-30-11, 10:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So waste each others time with worthless sentiment and dreadful begging and scraping over pointless gifts. Gifts like the ones that are constantly being recalled due to their confluence of poor construction and materials dangerous to humans. Exactly what in the eff I am talking about? Think long and hard about giving a bad gift. The entire holiday is wrought with this little game called re-gifting. If not blatant returning or refusal to play into the initial steps of the game and thus endure the dispiriting spiral. Wise up or don't try to call me on being a wise ass.
Old 12-30-11, 10:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by miyata man
So waste each others time with worthless sentiment and dreadful begging and scraping over pointless gifts.
Attaboy!
Old 12-30-11, 10:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know your area and regionally I don't think you are as effected by this as other less civil places. Places where people don't know their neighbors much less sit around singing together on a quiet night. Like Christmas, caroling.
Old 12-30-11, 10:35 AM

Bikes: 2013 orca

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok, not even going to take the time to quote the responses to my post. The problem here is that people are taking this too seriously. The OP came here with the intent of the rest of us understanding the fredliness of his gift. It's beyond fredly, truth is we all have received a crappy gift at some point in our life. You probably have been a crappy gift giver. Yes, we all know its not about the gift its about the blah blah blah...whatever. If you really cared you wouldn't give crappy gifts. To get on here and rail him for making fun of the gift is just as dumb as him making fun of the gift. Its the internet...its where people go to blow off steam...anonymously. In person I'm sure he acted grateful for the gift and showed no signs of disgust...doesn't mean we all havn't ACTED grateful when we really weren't. We are human, some of us care less about others and what they think, some of us cherish every moment they have from loved ones and cry at every disney movie, its what makes us unique. So before getting your blood pressure up. Stop, breathe, and remember...some of us trollfort3hlolz
Old 12-30-11, 10:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trolling is a banishable offense and outright admittance of it is like calling the cops to let them know you are all done vandalizing and are sitting on the curb out front waiting for them.

Last edited by miyata man; 12-30-11 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-30-11, 10:58 AM

Bikes: 2013 orca

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
-_-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.