Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction L8

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction L8

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-16, 01:50 PM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
A day late on the Memorial Day posts, but this is a pic of my Catrike Speed in front of the Civil War memorial in my small town:

Sp053116 by trsnrtr, on Flickr

Old 05-31-16, 02:01 PM
Brown Jersey Winner

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
i kinda left you guys in the lurch for a month, so i updated the blog, decided instead of one enormous post ill break it up.

apparently people whine when they have to actually read. the internet is weird.
Old 05-31-16, 02:04 PM
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Mumonkan
the internet is weird.
No, you people are.

Also TL;DR.
Old 05-31-16, 02:08 PM

Bikes: 2016 Giant Propel Advanced SL 1

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
i kinda left you guys in the lurch for a month, so i updated the blog, decided instead of one enormous post ill break it up.

Don't type so much.
Old 05-31-16, 02:16 PM
Brown Jersey Winner

Originally Posted by Dan333SP
you people
Old 05-31-16, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Is this from Wondershozen? er Wundershowzen?
Old 05-31-16, 02:22 PM
Brown Jersey Winner

Originally Posted by topslop1
i dont actually know for sure but i bet youre right. i watched some episodes of that show when it was out, and this gif always looked familiar to me. i always hear his voice in my head
Old 05-31-16, 02:23 PM

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

If the internet wasn't weird I wouldn't be on it. Let's get weird. Let's get weird.

There's probably a reason why I belong to exactly 0 clubs. Does being a number of the 'sub club' at the local deli count as a club?

We need the "Addiction 41" jersey to get printed with the pill bottle graphic from the Strava account so I can officially be a part of a club that kind of sort of but not really doesn't but is existing for naught?
Old 05-31-16, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Old 05-31-16, 02:27 PM
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13714 Post(s)
Liked 4,531 Times in 2,507 Posts
Speaking of which, time to load up the Allez for the Tuesday night club TT.
Old 05-31-16, 02:31 PM

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Speaking of which, time to load up the Allez for the Tuesday night club TT.
I didn't think anyone here actually rode their bicycles. Nice try Jonzie.
Old 05-31-16, 02:46 PM
INSERT_TITLE_HERE

Bikes: 2016 Cannondale Synapse 105, 2016 Salsa Pony Rustler X01

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
So yeah, back to my ride yesterday. Holly hell am I in bad shape. I felt like I was going pretty well before I took on the life-imposed break which was only about a month. But yeah, my HR is through the roof way too much and I'm just generally sucking. I think I'll be doing well to finish the road/gravel 100K in less than 5 hours. It's that bad.

The goal is to get in Wednesday and Friday morning roller sessions, Saturday road ride, Sunday road/gravel, then Tuesday/Wednesday early A.M. 20 mile road rides followed by the event on Saturday, the 11th.

Maybe it's the heat? Nah, I just suck.
Whatever it is, it's going around. I've never felt so bad on a bike as I have this past week. I took less than a week off when I was sick. I think it's a combination of high humidity, first summer heat, high stress, and allergies.
Old 05-31-16, 02:47 PM
INSERT_TITLE_HERE

Originally Posted by TampaRaleigh
What the hell is up with club rides on an MUP? Yes, I admit that I do often ride on the MUP near my house, but I don't treat it like it's my personal race course. Yesterday I passed (going the opposite direction) a group of about 20 roadies in a double pace line, probably doing 22-25 mph. On the MUP. On a holiday weekend morning.

If any of them happen to be reading this... you're all morons. You know that feeling you get when a semi truck doesn't respect your "3 feet"? That's the feeling you just gave all of the families that were TRYING to enjoy the trail.

I wish I knew which club it was.

Rant over.
Strava flyby to see if of them show up. You might be able to figure it out. With 20 riders I gotta thing one of them was going to post the ride to strava.
Old 05-31-16, 02:51 PM
INSERT_TITLE_HERE

Originally Posted by Heathpack
Totally disagree. We ride MUP as a club in a double pace line at slow speed because its the best way to get from the shop out of town to routes where we can ride a normal pace. Our alternative is to take a lane of a road during rush hour traffic, which we are willing to do when that makes the most sense for the route in question. The point being, we are trying to be balance the needs of multiple users of our various means of getting around town- drivers on roads and walkers/runners/solo cyclists on MUPs and ourselves out on an organized group ride. Maybe it works in our town because our MUPs are pretty wide- we have two lanes of bike traffic and a separate pedestrian lane. Additionally, riding in a double pace line does not mean that you are using the MUP as a race course- you can actually ride a double pace line at an intentionally slow pace as conditions dictate.

In our case, if you wanted to know what club you were looking at in their double pace line, you could just look at the kit, it would be pretty easy to figure it out (provided you know how to read).

Sorry we are not morons. Of course the layout of your MUPs might be different or your clubs might only hammer.

Rantback over.
Ok, I've seen some pics of Cali MUPs, and I could totally see doing group club rides on those. Practically dedicated bike highways in your neck of the woods.

Most around here are winding paths through parks where people walk their kids. MUPs like that are destinations, not ways to get places. I think that's a good definition we can all use for this type of behavior. If the MUP is the destination, then no way is 15+mph ok.
Old 05-31-16, 02:51 PM
Super Modest

Since everyone loves cat and dog pics:

cat-dog by trsnrtr, on Flickr

Old 05-31-16, 02:54 PM
INSERT_TITLE_HERE

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
No, you are thinking of the freeway-exit convenience store chain, Buckee's whose logo is, in fact, a beaver. They are huge and have huge loads of merchandise for folks that need to stop to relieve themselves and then can't resist a little purchase of useless goods. But no one would ever confuse them with supermarkets.
The memorial day ride this year was to bucee's over in fort worth. I did not go, but apparently it was fun. I've never been.
Old 05-31-16, 02:57 PM

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Since everyone loves cat and dog pics:

cat-dog by trsnrtr, on Flickr
I had one of those spring loaded switchblades from Italy made by Frank Beltrame? It was fun until I played with it so much I wore the actuation spring out. Getting parts and service from Italy is harder than it looks.. I don't know how it is with the bicycle components, but fuggetabout it for the knife.

Personally a dog guy, can't mesh with something that is trying to kill you all the time (cat).
Old 05-31-16, 03:08 PM
INSERT_TITLE_HERE

I couldn't even dare figure out the differences between different carbon wheels. I figured I'd pay myself the $400 difference to stay alloy and not give myself a headache.
I love your logic here. Somehow paying $650 for a new set of wheels is really just paying yourself $400. Totally adds up
Old 05-31-16, 03:13 PM
INSERT_TITLE_HERE

So I stayed up last night incorrectly thinking it was 5/31 hoping to put a solicitation for the new strava club on the first page of the new addiction thread. Didn't work since it was wrong day.

But if any of y'all are up when the new thread comes out, can you post a "Hey we now have a strava club for this thread. Feel free to join up!" somewhere on the first page?

I have a feeling after I leave work I won't be messing with the internet much.
Old 05-31-16, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Yes, one of the best shows ever!!!

Old 05-31-16, 03:35 PM
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
In our town, MUPs are intended to be transportation corridors to try to relieve traffic congestion. When a developer puts up houses in our town, they are required to address transportation-related issues- how will people get to/from the new development on foot, bike, and by car.

We of course have sidewalks (which its legal to ride a bike on, but of course you would never ride a double pace line on a sidewalk) which run along roads. We also have a type of path called a paseo- these wind through neighborhoods (but not along roads, through the interior of the neighborhoods, most neighborhood streets are comprised of cul de sacs which end at the paseos- so on your street, you'd walk to the paseo on the sidewalk) and generally connect residential streets to one another and neighborhoods to things like schools, parks, and to a lesser extent stores. Either a sidewalk or a paseo would be the best place to go for a leisurely stroll or to walk your dog. But its fine to ride a bike on a paseo, they are just narrow, winding paths and you wouldn't go fast on them for these reasons.

We also have MUPs, which are for pedestrians and cyclists and horses. They are wider and connect various sides of town and are meant to be part of the transportation network. I can easily go out and just ride MUPs for 2 hours and never be on the road for more than the 1/4 mi it takes for me to get from my house to the MUP. In general, they are more intended for cyclists, but certainly you get people walking their dogs and kids riding scooters on them, so you have to take care. Also many runners prefer the bounce of asphalt (the paving used for MUPs in our town) vs the brick or concrete that makes up sidewalks and paseos.

Here is a typical MUP in our town. Horses to the left in the dirt, two lanes of bike traffic and to the right in this picture is the pedestrian lane. Zero problem to run a double pace line on an MUP, even riding 4 abreast for the length of one cyclist in the peleton. Obviously you need to be courteous to other people using the path. But generally speaking, this club I belong to encourages people to be respectful of others in general, not just on the MUP. I've never heard anyone called a moron, for example, nor heard the term "butthurt" used. Even though there are some crazy good juniors who ride with the club.

"Destinations" in our town are called "parks". Developers are also required to put those into neighborhoods. They also have sidewalks in them where kids can ride their bikes or skateboard or whatever.

Old 05-31-16, 03:46 PM
Super Modest

I had one of those spring loaded switchblades from Italy made by Frank Beltrame? It was fun until I played with it so much I wore the actuation spring out. Getting parts and service from Italy is harder than it looks.. I don't know how it is with the bicycle components, but fuggetabout it for the knife.

Personally a dog guy, can't mesh with something that is trying to kill you all the time (cat).
Some states have repealed or are moving to repeal switch blade bans.

Old 05-31-16, 03:49 PM
Super Modest

My personal rule on MUPs is to be courteous to everyone. I say 'Hello" or wave to everyone, no exceptions, even those asshats with tri-bars and Stravidiots.

MUPs are for getting somewhere, not training.

Old 05-31-16, 04:01 PM
Casually Deliberate

Bikes: 1995 Trek 820, 1994 Trek 930 (project), 1/2 of a 1980s Colin Laing tandem

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
My personal rule on MUPs is to be courteous to everyone. I say 'Hello" or wave to everyone, no exceptions, even those asshats with tri-bars and Stravidiots.

MUPs are for getting somewhere, not training.
Do *you* wave or do you consider "social secretary" to be Mrs. Trainsnorter's job while on the tandem?
Old 05-31-16, 04:08 PM
Super Modest

Originally Posted by Ramona_W
Do *you* wave or do you consider "social secretary" to be Mrs. Trainsnorter's job while on the tandem?
She does the calling out of "passing" or "on your left" but we both give greetings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.