Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2005 S-Works E5 Aluminum vs 2011 Caad 10-5

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

2005 S-Works E5 Aluminum vs 2011 Caad 10-5

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-11, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I didn't want to comment about the size over the internet without seeing you on the bike. It's hard to make an accurate assessment. You'll just have to try it out and see how it fits. Might go to an LBS and ask them how to tell if a bike fits you well. May try a few different sizes there and have them guide you as to what will work.

As far as the price - you might not be able to get THIS E5 down to $1k, but you should be able to find one for around that. Keep that in mind. Like I said, mine was BRAND NEW - it had just been sitting in a box in a warehouse for a couple years. I got it brand new for $1k.
Old 06-23-11, 03:45 PM
I like beans

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As for the parts comment, plenty of people on ebay will want that stuff. You'll get a good price on it esp. given the shape that it is in.
Old 06-23-11, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kurogashi
Is there a problem if it's a tad bit too small? I have a 48cm beater (handy-down) and been using it for almost a year. My arm is approximately 24inch (from shoulder to knuckles.

I just did a quick measurement (approximately +/- 1 inch from each category..) for the fit calculator on competitive cyclist and I got:

Competitive fit | Eddy fit | French fit (this is in cm)
Seat tube range c-c: 47.7 - 48.2 | 48.9 - 49.4 | 50.6 - 51.1
Seat tube range c-t: 49.2 - 49.7 | 50.4 - 50.9 | 52.1 - 52.6
Top tube length : 61.6 - 62.0 | 61.6 - 62.0 | 62.8 - 63.2
Stem Length : 12.9 - 13.5 | 11.8 - 12.4 | 12.0 - 12.6
BB-Saddle Position : 62.8 - 64.8 |62.0 - 64.0 | 60.3 - 62.3
Saddle-Handlebar : 61.2 - 61.8 | 62.0 - 62.6 | 63.7 - 64.3
Saddle Setback : 3.3 - 3.7 | 4.5 - 4.9 | 4.0 - 4.4

According to specialized, the 50cm geometry is:

Size: 50 cm
Stand Over Height: 706mm
Top Tube Length: 525mm
Head Tube Length: 100mm
Head Angle : 72.5°
Seat Angle : 75.0°
Wheel Base : 971mm
Chain Stay Length: 405mm
Front Center : 577mm
Fork Offset : 45mm
Saddle Width : 130mm

What do you guys think? Is a 50cm a 'good' fit?
I guess I should make an appointment to test ride a Caad10 first and then after that, call up this guy and try the e5.
Comparing your fit numbers to the bike, the suggested top tube is almost 10 cm longer than what's on the bike. You'd be hard pressed to make up 10 cm anywhere.

You can try riding the E5, but I suspect your chin will be in your knees.
Old 06-23-11, 05:16 PM

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those top tube length ranges would usually put you in a 61cm frame from Specialized -- the largest size on most of their bikes. That's what I ride at 6'3" with long limbs (36" inseam, 30" arms from shoulder-to-knuckles). Something seems off.
Old 06-23-11, 09:27 PM

Bikes: Cervelo S2, Workswell 062, Banshee Spitfire

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Going by the picture of the E5...it may have been too small for the owner too. Looks like he has a longish stem, decent rise, and a stack of spacers under the stem. The Spesh has a really short head tube at 100mm.

They do look good when done right!

Last edited by I <3 Robots; 06-23-11 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Added pic
Old 06-24-11, 01:16 AM
DessertS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think I messed up the fit calculator (rushed the measurements), but I do know I have 24inches from shoulder to knuckles and that's approximately 61cm. So with a 51.5cm top tube; incorporate the stem, and handlebars and that will easily add 7-10cm. And plus, it's good to have your arms slightly bent, right? So theoretically, this doesn't sound too shabby.

Wow $1000 brand new out of the box, so I guess if he doesn't budge for <$1000, i'll move on. He already made a new ad and lowered the price to $1350. I guess i'll wait until Monday before trying again, because this morning, I sent an offer for $900 and I never got a reply lol (I guess I shouldn't have said his parts were outdated - woops.

And dam, those carbon wheels really are attractive. It looks a lot better than those Mavic Open Pros (which are pretty good wheels from what I hear on BF) But I guess it would make no sense to have Zipps for a fellow like me who doesn't race (not yet anyway.. haha).

But if I could snatch this E5 for $900, I would be one hell of a happy camper because that will leave me with $800 to upgrade/buy accessories (he's also planning to sell his red Look pedals for $50 and not sure about the prices for the giro helmet and Northwave shoes.. but I am not sure how I feel about used helmet/shoes lol).

Hey guys, thanks for all the help. I truly appreciate it.

Last edited by Kurogashi; 06-24-11 at 01:33 AM.
Old 06-24-11, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1852 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
You screwed up the fit calculator.

Unless your legs are only about two feet long - which is not likely - there is no way you need a 61 cm top tube - that does not include the stem length, the stem would add another 10 cm to bring you to 71 cm.

I'm 5'10" with really long legs and a 56 cm top tube is as long as I can go.

Ride the S-Works and if you are comfortable, get it. It is a way better frame than any Caad frame. I have had both.
Old 06-25-11, 12:44 AM
DessertS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey guys, I offered $900 and he countered back with $1000, should I take it?

He said he'll put it up on eBay if I don't reply. So what should I do now? Should I wait until the auction is over and add on like $50 to the closing value? Surely, he'll sell it to a local buyer instead, right? How exactly does eBay work, is he allowed to cancel the bid at anytime? Is the only consequence of not selling it to the final bidder, a bad feedback to his account?

It's a shame I won't be able to test ride a Caad10 anytime soon either (the only LBS that stocks Cannondales is quite far away), so i'll never really be able to compare the two... unless I can make him wait a few days (finally getting some time off from school/work on Wednesday), but by then he'll probably sell it to the final bidder.

What do you guys think I should look out for when inspecting/test riding the e5? My plan was to run my hand along the frame for any chips, cracks, and while riding, listen for any noises; drop the bike up and down a few times, etc.

Last edited by Kurogashi; 06-25-11 at 01:37 AM.
Old 06-25-11, 01:05 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
It is way cheaper than a caad10...
Old 06-25-11, 07:26 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
$1k is more like it. The question is if it fits you or not. If it fits and is in decent shape its a decent deal.
Old 06-25-11, 08:24 AM
CAADdict

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-?

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

That's not even fair to the Spec.
CAAD10 hands down.

Seriously though (now that I've actually read the thread )...

The scale has definitely been tipped back in favour of the E5.
Funny thing is though, after ONE day, he dropped the price to $1400 (local classifieds). Sounds like getting it down to $1200 might be possible, if not lower.
Since this is from a local classifieds, I can't ask to swap out parts. However, I can get a new 105 groupset for around $600 and that adds up to roughly the same price as the Caad10, but i'll be left with a bunch of spare old DA/ultegra parts, which I doubt anybody would buy (or I could use it on a beater).

At first, I didn't think of the bike to be much of a looker but after save10's picture, I am convinced it's one hell of a beauty... or maybe it's cause of the Reynolds/newer parts/lighting of the picture. What parts are you running on that?

Here's a picture of it (non drive side pic.. sigh). It's a 50cm frame (i'm 5'7", with a 29" inseam, so I think it'll be a good fit). So what do you guys think I should do now? Should I wait a week and see if he'll drop the price even further?

Random pic of a caad10-4 i pulled off google. Credits to the original owner.
None of what we say actually matters much until you've actually "ridden" both.

BTW...The CAAD10 could be had for significantly less (not that a couple hundred bucks should matter at that price range).Don't get me wrong, the E5 is supposed to be an awesome frame, but you're going to be swapping things out of it anyway as a bike to meet "your" particular needs. Plus, IMO, I'd take spankin' brand new 105 over half a DECADE old DA all day every day and twice on Sundays! Go new, get the lifetime warranty, a proper fitting, modern technology, probably a lighter frameset to start with and all the benefits that come from 6 more years of engineers' learnedness!

Last edited by 2ndGen; 06-25-11 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-25-11, 08:36 AM
CAADdict

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ravenmore
Very nice R. Well done. Clean.

Originally Posted by save10

I don't want to hurt my new SL3 Tarmac's feelings, but I think I like my E5 better...not to sway you or anything.

Originally Posted by I <3 Robots
Going by the picture of the E5...it may have been too small for the owner too. Looks like he has a longish stem, decent rise, and a stack of spacers under the stem. The Spesh has a really short head tube at 100mm.

They do look good when done right!

Nice gentlemen!

Last edited by 2ndGen; 06-25-11 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-25-11, 08:44 AM
CAADdict

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Hey guys, I offered $900 and he countered back with $1000, should I take it?

He said he'll put it up on eBay if I don't reply. So what should I do now? Should I wait until the auction is over and add on like $50 to the closing value? Surely, he'll sell it to a local buyer instead, right? How exactly does eBay work, is he allowed to cancel the bid at anytime? Is the only consequence of not selling it to the final bidder, a bad feedback to his account?

It's a shame I won't be able to test ride a Caad10 anytime soon either (the only LBS that stocks Cannondales is quite far away), so i'll never really be able to compare the two... unless I can make him wait a few days (finally getting some time off from school/work on Wednesday), but by then he'll probably sell it to the final bidder.

What do you guys think I should look out for when inspecting/test riding the e5? My plan was to run my hand along the frame for any chips, cracks, and while riding, listen for any noises; drop the bike up and down a few times, etc.
Man, if that was my post, it'd already be answering itself for me.

You haven't ridden it yet and have already offered him almost $1,000.
You're already "concerned" about looking for any potential frame failures.
And, once again, you are paying to pay a G for a 6 year old bike that regularly
sells for much less which you will probably begin to upgrade as soon as you get it!

And you haven't even tested a CAAD10 yet and have already ruled it out?

Ride them, then ask.

(And to answer your question: IMO...No. Do not buy it. Not until you've test ridden both
and can confirm that the Spec is actually safe to ride by a more competent person, like an
inspection at a LBS.)

If money is a big concern, REI might have CAAD10's selling for "under" $1,200. right now.
Just a day or two ago, someone picked one up practically new with crazy upgrades for $1K.
Look around and be patient. If you go with the Spec, I truly hope it works out for you and
that you will be happy with it.

Last edited by 2ndGen; 06-25-11 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-25-11, 11:29 AM
Steel is real

Bikes: 1999 Trek 5500 w/ Campagnolo Record 10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ask the guy if you can meet him somewhere and take it for a test ride. You wouldn't buy a car without test driving it first, would you? The same should be true for a bike. You may fall in love with it before riding it, but then when you do ride it you may find it too uncomfortable or too big/small/heavy... whatever. But don't rule out the Cannondale. You can get a custom fit on it since it's at a bike shop. And don't assume they won't be open to negotiating with you on the price. I bought my Giant mtb from a bike shop and ended up paying almost $200 less than sticker price. So it is possible. Ride them both and then decide. Good luck!
Old 06-25-11, 11:37 AM
CAADdict

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by stevegreer
Ask the guy if you can meet him somewhere and take it for a test ride. You wouldn't buy a car without test driving it first, would you? The same should be true for a bike. You may fall in love with it before riding it, but then when you do ride it you may find it too uncomfortable or too big/small/heavy... whatever. But don't rule out the Cannondale. You can get a custom fit on it since it's at a bike shop. And don't assume they won't be open to negotiating with you on the price. I bought my Giant mtb from a bike shop and ended up paying almost $200 less than sticker price. So it is possible. Ride them both and then decide. Good luck!
Old 06-25-11, 11:57 AM
Steel is real

Bikes: 1999 Trek 5500 w/ Campagnolo Record 10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^Thank you very much! I speak from experience, having purchased from both local sellers and bike shops.
Old 06-25-11, 12:02 PM
CAADdict

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by stevegreer
^^^Thank you very much! I speak from experience, having purchased from both local sellers and bike shops.
Me too. Don't get me wrong, sometimes, great deals come along
(like the guy who just bought a new CAAD10 accessorized to the hilt for a grand),
but for an inexperienced buyer, it could be a horrible mistake.
I don't like to see anybody get ripped off or make a mistake.

Old 06-25-11, 12:59 PM

Bikes: Orbea Orca m10, Spec Venge Elite, Felt TK2, Orbea Ordu M30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hmm i'd go with the caad10 for the warranty and updated parts

Last edited by zitter; 06-25-11 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-25-11, 01:06 PM
CAADdict

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by zitter
hmm i'd go with the caad10 for the warranty and updated parts
It's definitely The Prudent Choice.
I hope the OP gets to ride both.
Old 06-25-11, 09:24 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hey guys - if they were the same price then yeah, the Cannondale would be the way to go. BUT, the S-Works is now nearly a thousand dollars cheaper. And I guarantee you the Cannondale is not a $1k better bike. The S-Works was essentially a hand built custom frame that was waaaay ahead of its time. It just doesn't give up that much to the Cannondale. This is from someone who has ridden both. My big concern is if it fits.
Old 06-25-11, 09:30 PM
CAADdict

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ravenmore
Hey guys - if they were the same price then yeah, the Cannondale would be the way to go. BUT, the S-Works is now nearly a thousand dollars cheaper. And I guarantee you the Cannondale is not a $1k better bike. The S-Works was essentially a hand built custom frame that was waaaay ahead of its time. It just doesn't give up that much to the Cannondale. This is from someone who has ridden both. My big concern is if it fits.
You've ridden both. Is it (the Specialized frame) 6 years ahead?
In other words, do you find it to be better than the CAAD10?

If I'm correct, the E5 was a premier bike in it's time, right?
So, is comparing it to an entry level aluminum frameset even fair?
Would you say it's like comparing a vintage Ferrari to a new Toyota Celica?
Old 06-25-11, 11:22 PM

Bikes: 2012 S Works Tarmac SL4, 2013 Allez Race

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd be curious to hear what you guys who've sold your E5's think about the New Allez frame? I've had it now for about a month and I enjoy it. The steering is more twitchy than my tarmac sl3.
Old 06-26-11, 02:20 AM

Bikes: '95 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 FS, Cannondale CAAD9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spookeay Bird
Are you a dude or not?
Old 06-26-11, 02:24 AM

Bikes: Cervelo S2, Workswell 062, Banshee Spitfire

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lol...thats not even a CAAD...
Old 06-26-11, 09:10 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 2ndGen
You've ridden both. Is it (the Specialized frame) 6 years ahead?
In other words, do you find it to be better than the CAAD10?

If I'm correct, the E5 was a premier bike in it's time, right?
So, is comparing it to an entry level aluminum frameset even fair?
Would you say it's like comparing a vintage Ferrari to a new Toyota Celica?
I don't know that I'd call a CAAD 10 an entry level frameset. Just considering the price difference and knowing the S-Works is pretty up to PAR with the Cannondale I'd say it deserves a long look - as long as it fits.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.