Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

cycling. condoms. calder. 1.7.10

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

cycling. condoms. calder. 1.7.10

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-10, 08:59 PM
1coolrider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Great shots. I grew up in SD in the 50's & 60's. Moved in early 70's. My sister still lives there so I visit yearly. These pics made me homesick. I used to ride block ice down the grass hills at Presidio.

Living in Alaska now is great, but I consequently ride in the snow this time of year. I need to get down there soon. I managed to ride a fund raiser ride up in Alpine last spring. I've also have wanted to ride the Anza Borrego ride but haven't had the chance yet.

Another great place to ride is the foothills around Granite Hills, Singing Hills, etc. You're lucky!

Keep the pics coming.
Old 01-09-10, 01:15 AM

Bikes: custom caad9

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by arcticbiker
Great shots. I grew up in SD in the 50's & 60's. Moved in early 70's. My sister still lives there so I visit yearly. These pics made me homesick. I used to ride block ice down the grass hills at Presidio.

Living in Alaska now is great, but I consequently ride in the snow this time of year. I need to get down there soon. I managed to ride a fund raiser ride up in Alpine last spring. I've also have wanted to ride the Anza Borrego ride but haven't had the chance yet.

Another great place to ride is the foothills around Granite Hills, Singing Hills, etc. You're lucky!

Keep the pics coming.
when i was in high school i met up with some girls who were riding ice blocks down the presidio grass hills, i thought it was crazy...then i tried it and almost hit a tree and thought it was REALLY crazy !! good times.
Old 01-09-10, 04:09 AM
Hills hurt.. Couches kill

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Keep the pics coming.
This requires more explanation.
Old 01-09-10, 08:54 AM
1coolrider

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RacerOne
This requires more explanation.
Since San Diego hardly ever gets snow (I remember some in the winter of 1967/68), we would buy blocks of ice drag them to the top of Presidio and ride them down the grassy hill. What is more fun than that! Escpecially with girls.

Other winter activities trying to emulate actual winter conditions were 1) riding a Flexy Flier w/ wheels rather than a real sled 2) spraying our windows w/ fake snow for christmas. You get the idea.
Old 01-09-10, 10:35 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Since San Diego hardly ever gets snow (I remember some in the winter of 1967/68), we would buy blocks of ice drag them to the top of Presidio and ride them down the grassy hill. What is more fun than that! Escpecially with girls.

Other winter activities trying to emulate actual winter conditions were 1) riding a Flexy Flier w/ wheels rather than a real sled 2) spraying our windows w/ fake snow for christmas. You get the idea.
oh god. and if you can believe it, some actually travel to be in the snow and eat pie, a magical place we call julian.
Old 01-09-10, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

What is the least expensive shuttle or ferry to Adak island from Alaska?
Old 01-09-10, 04:45 PM
1coolrider

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spry
What is the least expensive shuttle or ferry to Adak island from Alaska?
First Adak is part of Alaska located on the Aleutian Chain.

If you really want to go to Adak, your best bet is to fly out of Anchorage or Kodiak. Otherwise, not much travel to Adak other fishing boats or freighters passing by.

However, if you want to go to the Aleutian Chain including Dutch Harbor, Sand Point, etc. you can catch the state ferry out of Kodiak or Homer. It's a fantastic trip and very economical. You may be able to charter a flight from Dutch to Adak.
Old 01-09-10, 10:07 PM
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by spry
Thanks for the pictures but the crowd pleaser here seems to be the rancid condom photo.

The space below is what we look like now here.
I focused on jokes about the condom photo so as to push the pictures of warm, sunny areas out of my mind. I live in PA, and the temp tomorrow when I might get out to ride before work will be 15 degrees; I may opt for the gym instead. At least later in the week we will get above freezing.
Old 01-10-10, 07:12 PM
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Given what is in your Pista Palace picture and what I have seen them post in the past, i am surprised they would work on your bike with SRAM. They must have had to premedicate themselves prior to even looking at your bike much less work on it LOL............
Old 01-10-10, 08:46 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dgasmd
Given what is in your Pista Palace picture and what I have seen them post in the past, i am surprised they would work on your bike with SRAM. They must have had to premedicate themselves prior to even looking at your bike much less work on it LOL............
yea after they got done gagging they practically charged me an inconvenience fee
but really, i would not think of going anywhere else. great group of guys.
Old 01-10-10, 08:49 PM
Señor Member

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R380 Ti | 2011 Hampsten Travelissimo Gran Paradiso Ti | 2001 De Rosa Neo Primato - Batik Del Monte, Genius | 1991 Eddy Merckx - Motorola, TSX

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Next time I'm in So. Cal. again I have to hit up Pista Palace.

I definitely need to ride over there with my SRAM-equipped De Rosa and pick up some spare tubes or something just for giggles.
Old 01-12-10, 09:47 AM

Bikes: 1975 Albert Eisentraut, 1992 Bill Davidson, 2006 Moots Compact, 2007 KHS Solo-One, 2010 Van Dessel Drag Strip Courage, 2013 Alchemy Xanthus, 2016 Breadwinner Lolo, 2018 Moots VaMoots RSL, 2019 Chapter2 Tere Disc, 2020 Chapter2 Ao Limited Edition

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
No, I ride an orange Masi Speciale Sprint.
Old 01-12-10, 09:52 AM

Bikes: 2009 Gary Fisher Paragon, 2008 Trek fuel EX 6.5, 2005 Giant XTC, 2006 Fuji Team, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix Fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the whole wheat condoms, they would even be biodegradable
Old 01-12-10, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
if you're going to mention calder in a bike thread, at least post his 6 day painting.