Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

will your next bike have electronic shifting?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: will your next bike have electronic shifting?
yes
35.64%
no
64.36%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

will your next bike have electronic shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-15, 10:49 AM

Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nachoman
You're dead to me.
lol...I have compressionless housing as well. The combination with Shimano's latest cable is awesome. After the initial stretch I have adjust derailleurs and cable tension once- 4600 miles, rear is a little sticky this week and I have my Spring tune-up tomorrow. There's more immediacy in the shifts as well, I'm not going electronic until it's on par in that sense, as well as being able to program some simple macros into the system, like speed/cadence profiles, grade/gear...etc.. That's where electronic will shine.
Old 02-26-15, 11:09 AM

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by K.Katso
I don't know how it will be with the new SRAM wireless system, but with Di2 you have to charge the one battery for the whole system. At least this wireless system will have a little bit of redundancy with each component having its own(RD will still work if FD battery is dead, etc). That being said, running out of charge on a ride is almost a non-issue, because with Di2 the battery life is up in the many thousands of shifts. I've put in over 1200km since I fully charged mine, and it isn't even below 50% yet. I think most people should be able to remember to charge it a few times a year, not to mention at least checking it before any big ride. If not, or if it fails for some other reason, there's nothing preventing you from physically wedging it into an easier gear until you get home.
An article got posted on SRAM wireless the other day, apparently the shifters work on a standard watch battery (replace once a year-ish) and each derailleur has an interchangeable removeable battery pack. So if rear dies, you can swap with the front, and if you like wearing a belt and suspenders you can bring a spare in your jersey pocket.

My next complete bike is (barring disaster befalling my current ride) years away yet, so by the time I get around to it electronic may well be the standard for everything above $1000. But I'm not going to go actively looking for it, and my most likely next purchase on that level will be an Athena Silver mech group to replace my 5700.
Old 02-26-15, 11:16 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Supersix Evo HiMod - Sram Red

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Actually when wireless electronic is a reality, my current bike(s) will have it. No need to wait for a next bike. But I will never buy wired electronic shifting. Feeding those wires through a frame is just stupid.
Agree completely with this. My current mechanical grouppo works so well, that even if I could straight up trade it in for Di2 or EPS, I am not sure I would. My frame, which I love and want to keep forever, has no provision for wiring.

If and when wireless becomes reality, AND comes down to a reasonable price, then I might consider it.

It really seems like SRAM (or whoever) should be able to market just the derailleurs, the CPU brains and user installable shift buttons that can be put anywhere, and there really should be no need to also replace shifter / brake bodies. Just remove the shift cables (and maybe in the case of sram and campy, also remove the inner lever blade leaving just the brake lever), mount everything and there you are.

Button arrays could be wired to the brain which mounts under the stem. Power for derailleurs is supplied by onboard camera batteries in each. Brain could have that or USB charging.

If SRAM does in fact market a full working wireless kit of some kind, I can fully see the home tinkerer buy just the two derailleurs and the CPU and figure out a solution on their own. I'd give that a try myself.
Old 02-26-15, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
I have electronic shifting now and won't go back to mechanical.
me too. i had to ride my sister's bike with mech shifting last week, and that just reinforced for me how much nicer DI2 is.
Old 02-26-15, 11:21 AM

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by K.Katso
I don't know how it will be with the new SRAM wireless system, but with Di2 you have to charge the one battery for the whole system. At least this wireless system will have a little bit of redundancy with each component having its own(RD will still work if FD battery is dead, etc). That being said, running out of charge on a ride is almost a non-issue, because with Di2 the battery life is up in the many thousands of shifts. I've put in over 1200km since I fully charged mine, and it isn't even below 50% yet. I think most people should be able to remember to charge it a few times a year, not to mention at least checking it before any big ride. If not, or if it fails for some other reason, there's nothing preventing you from physically wedging it into an easier gear until you get home.
I didn't see an mention of whether the non-rechargeable disk batteries in the shifters would have indicators on them to show their charge state. Considering that changing them means throwing them away, not just a charging cycle, the indicator would be a nice thing to have. Carrying a small extra rechargeable for the derailleurs in full charge state shouldn't be too much of a burden. For that matter I guess carrying an extra disk battery for the shifters wouldn't be a problem either. Small enough.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 02-26-15, 11:36 AM

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by rideBjj
Agree completely with this. My current mechanical grouppo works so well, that even if I could straight up trade it in for Di2 or EPS, I am not sure I would. My frame, which I love and want to keep forever, has no provision for wiring.

If and when wireless becomes reality, AND comes down to a reasonable price, then I might consider it.
So your frame will work with wireless, but will it work with disc brakes, 135 rear spacing and thru-axles? Which may all also be the norm when wireless comes down to your price range?
Old 02-26-15, 11:48 AM
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 140 Posts
I have a number of bikes that have different ages and characters and enjoy grabbing whichever one suits my mood on a given day. Logistically and aesthetically, electronic shifting won't work with me.
Old 02-26-15, 12:07 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ultegra Di2 costs in the same realm as mechanical Dura Ace... will be a hard choice but I might go electronic. Probably don't want to spend what Di2 DA costs. Current bike has mechanical Dura Ace 9000 so I'll be on that for a while.
Old 02-26-15, 12:07 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Supersix Evo HiMod - Sram Red

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
So your frame will work with wireless, but will it work with disc brakes, 135 rear spacing and thru-axles? Which may all also be the norm when wireless comes down to your price range?
Not sure what your point is.
Old 02-26-15, 12:22 PM

Bikes: Ridley Helium

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I just bought a new bike this winter with 6800 on it. My long term plans for the frame is Di2.

That said, the 6800 is very nice.
Old 02-26-15, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11987 Post(s)
Liked 6,712 Times in 3,508 Posts
Just plain no.
Old 02-26-15, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 02-26-15, 12:56 PM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
At first I was very anti-electric shifting. After all... even though I ride modern bikes I am also very much a classic-vintage bicycle guy. But I've had a change of heart as far as bicycle technology progress. I want electric shifters and disc brakes!
Old 02-26-15, 01:03 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
My next bike will probably not have electronic shifting but I'm not opposed to it.

The wireless stuff looks cool if it works well.
Old 02-26-15, 01:34 PM

Bikes: 2015 Pinarello Marvel,2011 FELT AR5 , 2011 PINARELLO FP3, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought a bike with Ultegra. Do I need to replace the whole groupset to go DI2 or are there some pieces that stay?
Old 02-26-15, 01:34 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Originally Posted by RALPHFELT
I just bought a bike with Ultegra. Do I need to replace the whole groupset to go DI2 or are there some pieces that stay?
You can keep your crank, chain and cassette.
Old 02-26-15, 01:38 PM

Bikes: 2015 Pinarello Marvel,2011 FELT AR5 , 2011 PINARELLO FP3, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RJM
You can keep your crank, chain and cassette.
I can't decide then lol
Old 02-26-15, 02:13 PM

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
I love my Ultegra 6770 Di2 which came on my bike when I bought it November of 2013. I have only charged the battery 3 times in 15 months. You can tell when it's time to charge because the rear shifting will begin to feel slightly delayed but usually even after you notice it, you can squeak out another week or two. It doesn't just go dead in the middle of nowhere. Charging takes about 30 minutes and unless you ride all day every day I can't see how that's an issue? You can also mix and match the components like using the less expensive Ultegra 6770 10 speed shifters with current Dura Ace or Ultegra 11 speed derailleurs or vice versa by simply updating the software. (The 1st generation Dura Ace 7970 Di2 is not compatible with any other system). What really sets it apart from mechanical is the amount of lever throw, with Di2 its just like a mouse click, no effort at all. Plus, the hoods are much more compact which to me just feels and looks better.
Old 02-26-15, 03:14 PM

Bikes: Cannondale six-13

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 24 Posts
I could've gotten it with my Super Six Hi-Mod but the shifting on it is a dream with the conventional set-up. My first question would be what happens when it gets wet or sticky with mud and road grit? I'm older than dirt but I like new ideas that move things to a better state. I have learned to let things get tested completely. I held on to my toe clips for a couple of years after clipless pedals arrived and kept shifting on the down tube for a while after STI shifting came on the scene.
Old 02-26-15, 03:19 PM