Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Threadless Conversion Headset

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Threadless Conversion Headset

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-20, 03:45 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10971 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce
Yes. Especially for modernizing classic frames.

Question/observation: how do you get the Innicycle spacers on? The rubber o-ring inside makes it prohibitively difficult to the point where I use regular spacers. What benefit do the o-rungs provide other than holding the spacer in place?
They simply hold the spacers in place and dont let them jingle. Since the headset doesnt require preload with a star nut that would typically remove slack from where the spacers are, there is a tiny bit of slack in the spacer stack with the innicycle. Having the rubber ring keeps the spacers in place and eliminates the jingling that can come from regular spacers.
I have a mix of regular spacers and innicycle spacers to get the height right. The o rings work great to keep the spacers in place, even when mixed in with regular spacers. I agree- they are the debil to remove(and add, at least for one of them).
Old 12-14-20, 04:43 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,481 Times in 1,440 Posts
Is the Innicycle available anymore?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-14-20, 08:30 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Is the Innicycle available anymore?
Yes, and it’s worth every penny, Tom.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 12-14-20, 09:53 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,481 Times in 1,440 Posts
Sorry for the back-and-forth. Where can one buy it?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-15-20, 06:08 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce
Question/observation: how do you get the Innicycle spacers on? The rubber o-ring inside makes it prohibitively difficult to the point where I use regular spacers. What benefit do the o-rungs provide other than holding the spacer in place?
I gave up the first time, and removed the O-rings.
Then I just hitched up my drawers and pushed hard.
They go on once you get them started.
Removing them is tedious.

And they look "marvelous."
(Yes, I lined up all the logos on mine.)

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 12-16-20 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-15-20, 08:11 AM

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Because I'd never read the instruction, I was using a channel-locks to tighten down the pre-load. (JoeJack heartily disapproved of that). Well, the channel-locks simply don't have the grip and the torque capability to get the pre-load strong enough. When I added spacers and bolted on the stem, it wasn't slipping on the steerer; the steerer itself was moving because the pre-load was not enough to lock it in place. It was moving, not the stem.
While I'm sure glad to hear that it was in fact not the stem moving on the steerer tube, I am still a bit concerned that your headsets are installed properly. After setting the preload, that adjustment is locked out using the hex recess in the top cap. Tightening the top cap expands the quill going down into the steerer tube, which both locks the steerer tube to the fork (highly important!) and prevents the headset bearing preload adjustment from changing. Are you tightening the top cap enough?

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
The Innicycle remains, in my opinion, the best bike frame component to be developed in the last 15 years. Sure, replaceable dropouts are great, but the Innicycle works on old bikes, can breath new life into obsolete frames, and puts the flexibility and variability of modern stems to older bike fit. It would have saved 1" threaded forks, singlehandedly, just a few years earlier.
Old 12-15-20, 08:22 AM

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
They simply hold the spacers in place and dont let them jingle. Since the headset doesnt require preload with a star nut that would typically remove slack from where the spacers are, there is a tiny bit of slack in the spacer stack with the innicycle. Having the rubber ring keeps the spacers in place and eliminates the jingling that can come from regular spacers.
I have a mix of regular spacers and innicycle spacers to get the height right. The o rings work great to keep the spacers in place, even when mixed in with regular spacers. I agree- they are the debil to remove(and add, at least for one of them).
Hmmm, I'm getting the sense that I went overboard with the o-ring interference....

A few tips to ease installation:

1. Water-based lube (soapy water works)
2. Push AND turn/twist at the same time
3. If you've cut your steerer tube, deburr the heck out of the cut edge before trying to install a spacer, or add the top cap first

1 & 2 are critical and I've goofed by not addressing that more formally in any of the videos.
Old 12-15-20, 09:56 AM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by joejack951
Hmmm, I'm getting the sense that I went overboard with the o-ring interference....

A few tips to ease installation:

1. Water-based lube (soapy water works)
2. Push AND turn/twist at the same time
3. If you've cut your steerer tube, deburr the heck out of the cut edge before trying to install a spacer, or add the top cap first

1 & 2 are critical and I've goofed by not addressing that more formally in any of the videos.
Please dont take my response as indication that I dislike the spacers. I think they are a fantastic bit of engineering. I always wondered why typical threadless conversion stems werent dead flat at the bottom to allow spacers to be used for look, and spacers with a rubber ring like yours would have been perfect for that application too since it removes the jingling.

I think the headset is awesome. Funny enough, its my most expensive headset, but its on the bike attached to my trainer right now. That bike does get the most 'miles' right now though, so i guess it could be said the headset is on the bike I use the most!
Next spring Ill most likely cut it down a bit since i positioned it at near the top of the full extension and havent gotten around to cutting. Gonna have to reference the video for that since I assume its more involved than just cutting a normal steerer.

Too much rambling- the spacers are excellent at doing what they should do- look the part and not rattle.
Old 12-16-20, 10:13 AM

Please dont take my response as indication that I dislike the spacers. I think they are a fantastic bit of engineering. I always wondered why typical threadless conversion stems werent dead flat at the bottom to allow spacers to be used for look, and spacers with a rubber ring like yours would have been perfect for that application too since it removes the jingling.

I think the headset is awesome. Funny enough, its my most expensive headset, but its on the bike attached to my trainer right now. That bike does get the most 'miles' right now though, so i guess it could be said the headset is on the bike I use the most!
Next spring Ill most likely cut it down a bit since i positioned it at near the top of the full extension and havent gotten around to cutting. Gonna have to reference the video for that since I assume its more involved than just cutting a normal steerer.

Too much rambling- the spacers are excellent at doing what they should do- look the part and not rattle.
I should have multi-quoted! When I hear a complaint mentioned by a few different people (three in just the last few posts on this thread, plus the mechanic at my local shop) I start to consider that I need to do something different. All part of the process of product development so trust me when I say I appreciate the feedback. As long as these keep selling I'll have the opportunity to make some more tweaks for the next round of production and address this issue in particular.

It really isn't that different than cutting a typical steerer, other than the need for more accuracy. Whereas the goal of cutting a traditional threadless steerer is simply to have it end somewhere below the top of your stem (or upper spacer), with an innicycle steerer you want it to end 2-2.5mm below the top of your stem. That way when you add the top cap the cap will be flush with the top of the stem. You also just let the top cap protrude and cut the steerer right at the top of the stem. It's functional either way so how you cut it comes down to an aesthetic choice and if you feel like you may want to swap between stems with different clamp heights. To the latter point, the top cap thickness neatly makes up the difference in clamp heights between the two most common options (40 and 42mm). I went for the flush look on my Trek:

Old 12-16-20, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by noglider
Sorry for the back-and-forth. Where can one buy it?
PM me or email at joe@jjpne.com
Likes For joejack951:
Old 12-16-20, 11:22 AM

FYI, I am checking into why my YouTube installation video links have been removed. Perhaps there's a good reason for it so I won't be re-posting them until I hear back. Until then, searching 'innicycle' on YouTube will pull up the videos.
Old 12-16-20, 11:41 AM
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts

My normal spacers don’t jingle
Old 12-16-20, 09:14 PM
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Germany_chris
My normal spacers don’t jingle
Are they on a threadless headset or atrached to a threadless conversion stem?
Old 12-16-20, 10:48 PM
I’m a little Surly

Are they on a threadless headset or atrached to a threadless conversion stem?

Threadless conversation
Old 12-21-20, 11:00 PM
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
I recently purchased 2 of the conversion headsets. So far, one is installed, the other reserved for an upcoming project.

After a brief few minutes with a thread file on the steerer, I was able to set the bearing preload by hand. The easiest job I have ever had the pleasure of doing. Turn, turn, turn, stop...zero play, done!

Regarding the unexpected twisting: It's the top cap not being held tight enough by the quill/the quill not interfacing tight enough to fight any twisting action between wheel & handlebars. The solution as far as I can tell is to consider the recommended maximum 15nm top cap (quill bolt) torque as a a minimum torque, not a maximum.

For my own internal thought process: 12-15nm is the recommended range the left crank arm bolt torque on Shimano external bearing cranksets, so considering the quill bolt is a much larger size, I felt it was permissable to risk not more than 20nm...Not that I would recommend any more. The quill locked in convincingly tight at that torque & required a good blow with a hammer to break the friction as any quill stem properly set should.

My thoughts are the very viscous Finish Line white lithium grease I was using on any & all components may have been viscous enough to require a second or third torque at 15nm to be effectively squeezed out of the interface so that good metal to metal contact between quill & steerer could be obtained. Experiments with a thinner grease, or more conservative application of grease, &/or retorque requirements would likely provide illumination in this regard.

As I have previously dealt with improperly worked wedge-style eccentrics, I do have concerns with the threads of the quill wedge sustaining a solid whack with a hammer for future adjustments, bearing replacements, or other work. I can see the possibility in an aluminum wedge of inadvertantly blowing the threads out of a long set &/or galvanicly corroded or over torqued wedge greatly complicating future service. A steel quill wedge would at the very least eliminate any potential for future issues & buy error margin for top-cap/quill bolt torque among any shade-tree mechanics that may happen across this wonderful invention. Of course, disregard if I am mistaken. I installed mine several weeks ago & am going by memory.

Perhaps a service bullitin recommending removing quill bolt & top cap, then dislodging the wedge by way of inserting a long flat bottomed drift punch down inside from the top side of the headset to dislodge the wedge nut before servicing bearings or preload readjustment could be recommended? This would ensure the wedge bolt/nut threads never encounter impact from the necessary freeing hammer blow other quill stems encounter many times over their lives.

Anyways, them's my thoughts & I definitely would buy again. Good product.

Last edited by base2; 12-22-20 at 01:29 AM.
Old 02-09-21, 01:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As of 2-8-2021, out of stock @ Amazon. Any idea when you will be back for business.

I failed to meet my quota of posts, so I had to reply rather than send a PM.

I did scroll the whole thread and found nothing, unless I went too fast.....
Old 02-09-21, 12:45 PM
I’m a little Surly

Who have I been chatting with on ****** about the headset?
Old 02-09-21, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by tahquitzpeak
As of 2-8-2021, out of stock @ Amazon. Any idea when you will be back for business.

I failed to meet my quota of posts, so I had to reply rather than send a PM.

I did scroll the whole thread and found nothing, unless I went too fast.....
For a little while longer, just email me at joe@jjpne.com and I'll get you set up.

The e-commerce site is nearing completion. I can almost say that with a straight face, given how long it has taken (laughably long).

If anyone is looking for a headset and lives in the furthest corner of the world from where I'm sitting (i.e. Australia, SE Asia), check out www.forkmods.com, one of my resellers.
Old 02-16-21, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=joejack951;21917232]For a little while longer, just email me at joe@jjpne.com and I'll get you set up.

The e-commerce site is nearing completion. I can almost say that with a straight face, given how long it has taken (laughably long).
/QUOTE]

All good! I had failed to see this thread was 10 pages long, otherwise I would have seen requests for purchase & instruction from December.
Old 03-22-21, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

the headset held up to my endurance test
Likes For kkleine:
Old 05-12-21, 09:06 PM
Sunshine

Bump time.

Moved the headset and full build over to a frame that was just powdercoated.
The wedge bolt can be a little devil to loosen! Install and use are clean and smooth as expected.

Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-20-21, 06:54 PM

Bikes: 1990 Marinoni Special, 1986 Proctor Custom, 1989 Kuwahara Caravan, Singular Firebird Stainless, Niner RIP9, Sekine SHT

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
After a little over a year since receiving my headset, I have finally installed it and built up my Proctor.

Install was as easy as it gets. Very happy with everything.
Likes For cchmilar:
Old 08-16-21, 01:15 PM

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
Just received my silver one. Sweet piece of hardware.

From the recent RH thread,

Originally Posted by southpawboston
Thanks for the shoutout, scarlson ! Germany_chris , are you looking for a switch for threadless stems or for quill stems? I have one for either type! The original TMAT switch is made for 1" or 1-1/8" threadless stems, and my new TMAT/Q is made for traditional quill stems (aluminum stems only). The TMAT/Q is still in prototype, with prototypes available for purchase by advance order.

Anton
It would be sweet if there was a way to use the threadless version on the Innicycle.
Old 08-16-21, 01:31 PM
I’m a little Surly

Originally Posted by natterberry
Just received my silver one. Sweet piece of hardware.

From the recent RH thread,

It would be sweet if there was a way to use the threadless version on the Innicycle.
I agree I’ve got this headset on another bike and I’m pondering some modding this winter
Old 08-16-21, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by kkleine
the headset held up to my endurance test
That is exactly the stem (velo orange cigne, right?) that I bought the innicycle for. I just need to get the last coat paint to dry/cure, apply logos and build up. Only like a year or 2 after I bought the innicycle, but better late than never.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.