Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Buying New Hybrid Giant Bike Roam1, Roam 2 or Toughroad SLR

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Buying New Hybrid Giant Bike Roam1, Roam 2 or Toughroad SLR

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-17, 02:13 PM

Bikes: 2018 Giant Toughroad SLR2

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
The fastroad is a rad bike, and I hear awesome things about it.. hmm..
so you would not go with toughroad? you'd go with the skinnier tires?

Im asking because im a heavy guy.. and looking for a bike that can take the weight lol
Old 11-10-17, 07:20 PM

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Tested Roam

So I tested the Roam 3 out earlier today.. they didnt have a toughroad and their Roam 1 was in box not built..
I really liked the Roam better than any of the bikes I've rode so far.. But I def want it better equipped components thanthe Roam 3 has. I don't think the fork will be useful offroad really.. but it's def a quick bike and felt nice and light..

I still want to try the toughroad slr 2 before I decide.
Old 11-11-17, 05:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 2015 Roam 2.

Got it for a great price at the end of the season. Very happy with the spec and quality.

I'm not convinced by the suspension fork concept - 90% of my riding is on the road or surfaced paths, 10% on gravel paths, and you don't get a sense of it doing much good at all (and I am a pretty heavy rider).

I also find the handling slightly "twitchy" although the frame is different on the new versions so maybe a little less twitchy now.

Finally, it has non-standard mudguard mounting positions but nothing that a little bit of home fabrication can't sort. Again, might not be an issue on the newer frames.

If I was to buy from Giant again I would seriously consider the Toughroad with the solid fork and bigger tyres. But the Toughroad is more expensive for the equivalent spec.
Old 11-11-17, 10:30 AM

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Juggy_Gales
The fastroad is a rad bike, and I hear awesome things about it.. hmm..
so you would not go with toughroad? you'd go with the skinnier tires?

Im asking because im a heavy guy.. and looking for a bike that can take the weight lol
Depends on what sort of weight you are talking about. 200 lbs? 250? 350?

Past a certain threshold, the tires are not the issue. It is the wheels that might or might not take your weight. And that is an issue with any of the bikes you are looking at. It isn't that the wheels will explode underneath you but if like me you are above 250 lbs, plan on buying or building a new back wheel eventually, whichever bike you buy.
Old 11-11-17, 11:18 AM

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
Depends on what sort of weight you are talking about. 200 lbs? 250? 350?

Past a certain threshold, the tires are not the issue. It is the wheels that might or might not take your weight. And that is an issue with any of the bikes you are looking at. It isn't that the wheels will explode underneath you but if like me you are above 250 lbs, plan on buying or building a new back wheel eventually, whichever bike you buy.
Im 300lbs.. def a big boy.
Old 11-13-17, 12:10 AM

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Testing Toughroad Tomorrow

I am Testing the Toughroad SLR1 tomorrow... I'd still buy the 2.. but testing the 1 just to get a feel for the frame and style over the other bikes I have tried... I really like the looks of the ToughRoad SLR2.. so if the SLR1 rides nice.. that might be my pick..

Escape 1 is not available for another month.. and I did not really like how the other escape's were equipped.. Id get the Escape 1 or would choose a diff model.

Roam 2 and Roam 1 is in stock.. Though Roam 1 has better components... I don't see why it is $400 more than the Roam 2.. The Roam 3 even felt good.. But I would atleast get the Roam 2.. The Roam 2 is worth the parts. I just wish the Roam 2 had a better color choices.

Talon 2 and 3... Though the Talon 2 has better components.. I am going to stick with the 3X system for now till I am in better shape.. Riding Both.. The Talon 3 is just fine for me if I chose the Talon, I could put a more road friendly tire on it if needed.

The Fastroad SLR1, Though this bike is superior than the others in a few ways.. It is also out of my price range. Being double the price of some of my choices and atleast $300 more than the Toughroad SLR2.. I have not gotten to test this one due to lack of stock availability.. and even if I did.. $1150 is a bit out of my budget for a bike at the moment.
The Toughroad SLR2 is stretching it a bit for me. But If I like it that much.. I will take the Plunge.. If the Toughroad doesn't cut it.. then I will be choosing between the Roam 2 and Talon 3.

Either way, I make my final decision tomorrow.. I will post pics with what I choose..
My Buddy picked up the Talon 3 yesterday when we were at the shop.. he liked the offroad capabilities and felt it would hold up better than the Roam.. I did consider his opinion due to my size vs size of the tires on the Roam.
and the fork of the Roam annoys me.. It's suspension.. but.. like.. not really.. its there.. looks more for show.. If it had a 100mm adjustable fork.. The Roam would be a REALLY great choice for most people in between.
Old 11-13-17, 05:06 PM

I am Testing the Toughroad SLR1 tomorrow... I'd still buy the 2.. but testing the 1 just to get a feel for the frame and style over the other bikes I have tried... I really like the looks of the ToughRoad SLR2.. so if the SLR1 rides nice.. that might be my pick..

Escape 1 is not available for another month.. and I did not really like how the other escape's were equipped.. Id get the Escape 1 or would choose a diff model.

Roam 2 and Roam 1 is in stock.. Though Roam 1 has better components... I don't see why it is $400 more than the Roam 2.. The Roam 3 even felt good.. But I would atleast get the Roam 2.. The Roam 2 is worth the parts. I just wish the Roam 2 had a better color choices.

Talon 2 and 3... Though the Talon 2 has better components.. I am going to stick with the 3X system for now till I am in better shape.. Riding Both.. The Talon 3 is just fine for me if I chose the Talon, I could put a more road friendly tire on it if needed.

The Fastroad SLR1, Though this bike is superior than the others in a few ways.. It is also out of my price range. Being double the price of some of my choices and atleast $300 more than the Toughroad SLR2.. I have not gotten to test this one due to lack of stock availability.. and even if I did.. $1150 is a bit out of my budget for a bike at the moment.
The Toughroad SLR2 is stretching it a bit for me. But If I like it that much.. I will take the Plunge.. If the Toughroad doesn't cut it.. then I will be choosing between the Roam 2 and Talon 3.

Either way, I make my final decision tomorrow.. I will post pics with what I choose..
My Buddy picked up the Talon 3 yesterday when we were at the shop.. he liked the offroad capabilities and felt it would hold up better than the Roam.. I did consider his opinion due to my size vs size of the tires on the Roam.
and the fork of the Roam annoys me.. It's suspension.. but.. like.. not really.. its there.. looks more for show.. If it had a 100mm adjustable fork.. The Roam would be a REALLY great choice for most people in between.
But a true mountain bike will suck for roads and paved trails. If that is what you do 80% of the time or more, I say go for the Toughroad, or maybe the AnyRoad.

BTW, why are you so locked onto Giant? Nothing wrong with them as they are a fantastic manufacturer, but most folks pick the type of bike first, then narrow it down to 3 or 4 similar models from different brands. You seem to be checking out the entire showroom of a Giant dealer.
Old 11-13-17, 06:38 PM

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
on Bike Choices and why Giant

But a true mountain bike will suck for roads and paved trails. If that is what you do 80% of the time or more, I say go for the Toughroad, or maybe the AnyRoad.

BTW, why are you so locked onto Giant? Nothing wrong with them as they are a fantastic manufacturer, but most folks pick the type of bike first, then narrow it down to 3 or 4 similar models from different brands. You seem to be checking out the entire showroom of a Giant dealer.
So, I looked at many brands, and types.. Raleigh, Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, Diamondback and Giant..

At first, I knew I wanted a bike.. But didn't know what I was going for.. I knew I didn't want a strictly Road Bike.. But wasn't sure if I wanted to go full Mountain.. so.. I looked at some comfort Bikes.. various brands.. and they were ok.. But I kinda wanted "more".. I had been so out of the loop for years that I didn't understand components and why someone would want one over the other.. so.. I began researching and studying all of the diff types and level of quality.. IE: Shimano Tourney, Altus, Acera, Alivio, Deore, SLX, XT and Sram's line.. I stuck with the Mountain Bike gearing rather than learn much about Shimano 105, Tiagra etc.. Because I wanted hearty gears that could do some trails if need be.. and gearing for inclines if I wanted. Plus.. Rim vs Mechanical Disc vs Hydraulic Disc Brakes.. Then learned about 1X 2X 3X cranks and why people chose them.. I am fine with a decent 3X crank..
I definitely set on FlatBars.. and Id like to be under $1k.. I want Hydraulic Disc brakes.. atleast Acera Grade Components.. and though I want to Mod out the Bike.. I don't want to be in a rush to.. so as I grow in cycling, I could upgrade when I feel I want that bit extra.. when the difference would actually matter..

What really sold me on Giant was.. Giant's Bikes seemed to have most of what I want at prices that seemed to beat out brands like Trek.. and Treks are made at Giant's Factory.. Treks are great bikes.. but every bike of Trek that I found that fit what I wanted.. was over $1k..
Lots of shops around here have tons of Giants for me to look at..

My buddy this weekend bought a Giant Talon 3 which is a great deal for the $520 he paid.. I rode it and it is nice..
Though the Talon is def a strict Mountain bike..

I test Rode the Giant Toughroad SLR 1 today.. and dude.. Holy **** that bike is Light.. I know Carbon road bikes are lighter.. But.. Yo.. haha less than 25lbs.. and even with those big Tires on it, it rides well.. after talking with the people at the store, the guy showed me a bunch of things I could do with the bike later if I wanted to mod it out.. and there are suspension options out there from Rockshox if I wanted to go that route later.. Plus The frame can handle both 27.5/29er wheels/tires.. So If I found myself riding trails more.. I could transform it into a pretty capable hardtail... Im just blabbering a bit now.. but I like options..
the mods Id consider sooner would be a 3X Crank geared with a Bigger Cog like 48 or 50 tooth big cog while maintaining having a mid to high 20's tooth small cog IE: 48/36/26 crankset.. Shimano Deore has a couple choices(not right away)
Id prob also switch to a Deore Shadow rear Derailer(still down the road a bit)
Switching the seat to a Cloud 9(comfy as hell).. Maybe Handlebar ends like the fastroad has..
When I am done.. the Bike will be like a fat wheeled Fastroad SLR1 haha.. Not as quick.. But not much slower either.

I hope I answered thorough enough without going in too many directions
Old 11-13-17, 08:00 PM
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
So, I looked at many brands, and types.. Raleigh, Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, Diamondback and Giant..

At first, I knew I wanted a bike.. But didn't know what I was going for.. I knew I didn't want a strictly Road Bike.. But wasn't sure if I wanted to go full Mountain.. so.. I looked at some comfort Bikes.. various brands.. and they were ok.. But I kinda wanted "more".. I had been so out of the loop for years that I didn't understand components and why someone would want one over the other.. so.. I began researching and studying all of the diff types and level of quality.. IE: Shimano Tourney, Altus, Acera, Alivio, Deore, SLX, XT and Sram's line.. I stuck with the Mountain Bike gearing rather than learn much about Shimano 105, Tiagra etc.. Because I wanted hearty gears that could do some trails if need be.. and gearing for inclines if I wanted. Plus.. Rim vs Mechanical Disc vs Hydraulic Disc Brakes.. Then learned about 1X 2X 3X cranks and why people chose them.. I am fine with a decent 3X crank..
I definitely set on FlatBars.. and Id like to be under $1k.. I want Hydraulic Disc brakes.. atleast Acera Grade Components.. and though I want to Mod out the Bike.. I don't want to be in a rush to.. so as I grow in cycling, I could upgrade when I feel I want that bit extra.. when the difference would actually matter..

What really sold me on Giant was.. Giant's Bikes seemed to have most of what I want at prices that seemed to beat out brands like Trek.. and Treks are made at Giant's Factory.. Treks are great bikes.. but every bike of Trek that I found that fit what I wanted.. was over $1k..
Lots of shops around here have tons of Giants for me to look at..

My buddy this weekend bought a Giant Talon 3 which is a great deal for the $520 he paid.. I rode it and it is nice..
Though the Talon is def a strict Mountain bike..

I test Rode the Giant Toughroad SLR 1 today.. and dude.. Holy **** that bike is Light.. I know Carbon road bikes are lighter.. But.. Yo.. haha less than 25lbs.. and even with those big Tires on it, it rides well.. after talking with the people at the store, the guy showed me a bunch of things I could do with the bike later if I wanted to mod it out.. and there are suspension options out there from Rockshox if I wanted to go that route later.. Plus The frame can handle both 27.5/29er wheels/tires.. So If I found myself riding trails more.. I could transform it into a pretty capable hardtail... Im just blabbering a bit now.. but I like options..
the mods Id consider sooner would be a 3X Crank geared with a Bigger Cog like 48 or 50 tooth big cog while maintaining having a mid to high 20's tooth small cog IE: 48/36/26 crankset.. Shimano Deore has a couple choices(not right away)
Id prob also switch to a Deore Shadow rear Derailer(still down the road a bit)
Switching the seat to a Cloud 9(comfy as hell).. Maybe Handlebar ends like the fastroad has..
When I am done.. the Bike will be like a fat wheeled Fastroad SLR1 haha.. Not as quick.. But not much slower either.

I hope I answered thorough enough without going in too many directions

Pretty much exactly my experience.

The Toughroad SLR 2 has so much going for it and right now, it really doesn't have a direct competitor within a similar price band.
Old 11-13-17, 08:46 PM

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Pretty much exactly my experience.

The Toughroad SLR 2 has so much going for it and right now, it really doesn't have a direct competitor within a similar price band.

It really does, I still can't believe how light that bike is.. My reasoning for wanting that 48 big Cog is.. I tried the Roam and REALLY liked the pick up on that gear.. you can move out pretty well on it.. I just wanted a bit more beefy tires and the 63mm shock annoyed me.. It's like.. why bother with the shock? hahaha

I like that the SLR 2 is Tubeless..

Early Mods will be:
Im gonna throw a rack on the back, with Bag.. Probably By Ibera or Topeak
Cloud 9 seat
Ergo Handlebar ends that tilt up..
Bottle holder
Lights for riding at night
Shimano Saint Flat Pedals(I may eventually go to clipless, what are your thoughts on clipless?)

Few Months down the road:
I will be going to upgrade the Crankset.. Budget $60-$130 most likely 48/36/26 Deore which should last me most of the time I own the Bike. I believe Id have to upgrade the Bracket as well here.. which is fine.
and Deore Shadow Rear derailer and Deore front Derailer
Old 11-13-17, 09:04 PM
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

It really does, I still can't believe how light that bike is.. My reasoning for wanting that 48 big Cog is.. I tried the Roam and REALLY liked the pick up on that gear.. you can move out pretty well on it.. I just wanted a bit more beefy tires and the 63mm shock annoyed me.. It's like.. why bother with the shock? hahaha

I like that the SLR 2 is Tubeless..

Early Mods will be:
Im gonna throw a rack on the back, with Bag.. Probably By Ibera or Topeak
Cloud 9 seat
Ergo Handlebar ends that tilt up..
Bottle holder
Lights for riding at night
Shimano Saint Flat Pedals(I may eventually go to clipless, what are your thoughts on clipless?)

Few Months down the road:
I will be going to upgrade the Crankset.. Budget $60-$130 most likely 48/36/26 Deore which should last me most of the time I own the Bike. I believe Id have to upgrade the Bracket as well here.. which is fine.
and Deore Shadow Rear derailer and Deore front Derailer

I haven't tried clipless yet, but I am not against it and will no doubt try it in the future.

The biggest issue I suspect I will find is when I just want to use my bike as a commuter to run some errands or do shopping, and having to deal with the shoes that are needed with a clipless setup.

Clipless seems to make the most sense if you know you are going to be doing a long ride of say 2hrs +.

As for cranks, they are one of my favourite parts for how a bike looks, so in addition to being prepared to pay more for a lighter, stiffer crank, it has to look the part, or I am not interested.
Old 11-13-17, 09:16 PM

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Dat Crank Tho

I haven't tried clipless yet, but I am not against it and will no doubt try it in the future.

The biggest issue I suspect I will find is when I just want to use my bike as a commuter to run some errands or do shopping, and having to deal with the shoes that are needed with a clipless setup.

Clipless seems to make the most sense if you know you are going to be doing a long ride of say 2hrs +.

As for cranks, they are one of my favourite parts for how a bike looks, so in addition to being prepared to pay more for a lighter, stiffer crank, it has to look the part, or I am not interested.
I agree, One of the Aesthetics I like most about a modern Bike is the look of the Crank.. The Deore, SLX and XT all have sweet looking cranks..

as for Clipless, thats also an issue I have... I mean.. I could have a spare pair of shoes with me.. But It's kind of a Hassle.. I can see the benefits of a Clipless setup.. But being stuck all day in cleats when I am not on my bike would be a bit annoying.. walk around the store.. 'click, click, click, click' Guys lookin like they hear a chick in high heels comin there way.. Nope just my big lumbering ass in bike cleats..
Old 11-13-17, 09:25 PM

I agree, One of the Aesthetics I like most about a modern Bike is the look of the Crank.. The Deore, SLX and XT all have sweet looking cranks..

as for Clipless, thats also an issue I have... I mean.. I could have a spare pair of shoes with me.. But It's kind of a Hassle.. I can see the benefits of a Clipless setup.. But being stuck all day in cleats when I am not on my bike would be a bit annoying.. walk around the store.. 'click, click, click, click' Guys lookin like they hear a chick in high heels comin there way.. Nope just my big lumbering ass in bike cleats..
The Shimano M324 has clipless on one side, platforms on the other.
Old 11-13-17, 09:30 PM

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
That is an option, also they are the same price as the Saints
Old 11-13-17, 09:54 PM

Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Clipless pedals are the way to go, other than keeping more power on the crank, they also keep your feet in the same correct position, and you won’t slip off them. I have a set of Shimano PD-T780 pedals on both my bikes, and I like them a lot. Shimano has some nice MTB shoes that look like regular shoes with cleats that don’t make noise when you walk in them.

If you ever get down to the St. Petersburg area shoot me a PM and we can meet on the trail somewhere.
Old 11-13-17, 10:03 PM
Banned.

A very small platform.
Old 11-13-17, 10:08 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
A very small platform.
The Shimano PD-T780 which have been upgraded to the PD-T8000 have decent sized platforms. Besides if you’re wearing a stiff sole bike shoe, the platform size isn’t that much of an issue.

https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-PD-T8.../dp/B01LZDLZD3
Old 11-13-17, 10:15 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by Scooty Puff Jr
The Shimano PD-T780 which have been upgraded to the PD-T8000 have decent sized platforms. Besides if you’re wearing a stiff sole bike shoe, the platform size isn’t that much of an issue.

https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-PD-T8.../dp/B01LZDLZD3

I couldn't find the dimensions of that platform, but it looks a lot bigger than the PD 324, and would likely be the pedal I get to try out cleats.
Old 11-13-17, 10:20 PM

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Clipless pedals are the way to go, other than keeping more power on the crank, they also keep your feet in the same correct position, and you won’t slip off them. I have a set of Shimano PD-T780 pedals on both my bikes, and I like them a lot. Shimano has some nice MTB shoes that look like regular shoes with cleats that don’t make noise when you walk in them.

If you ever get down to the St. Petersburg area shoot me a PM and we can meet on the trail somewhere.
I work in St Pete at HSN... along with Driving Uber and freelance photo/video.. I am in St Pete Often.
I will be ordering the Bike Probably tomorrow.. I went to Outspokin On 60 in clearwater.. They really have been bending over backwards for me.. They even brought in their Toughroad SLR 1 from another store knowing I wasn't going to buy that model just so I could test ride a Toughroad.
I was talking price and since I will be buying a few things with the bike and because I brought my buddy in who bought a Talon 3 from them a couple days ago with some extras.. I am seeing if they will cut me a decent deal.. Plus I found a really low price on a SLR 2 2017 model(even though I like the 2018 colors better).. So.. If they can get me in a better price range. I am going to order it Tomorrow and should have it by the end of the week.

Scooty, what do you ride mostly?
Old 11-13-17, 10:27 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I couldn't find the dimensions of that platform, but it looks a lot bigger than the PD 324, and would likely be the pedal I get to try out cleats.
Here you go Colonel, they’re about 4 inches wide, this pic is of my T780s that are about 4 years old, they’ve been on a couple bikes, taken a lot of abuse, and are now on my Surly. They still spin like new, can’t go wrong with XT stuff.

Old 11-13-17, 10:29 PM
Banned.

Here you go Colonel, they’re about 4 inches wide, this pic is of my T780s that are about 4 years old, they’ve been on a couple bikes, taken a lot of abuse, and are now on my Surly. They still spin like new, can’t go wrong with XT stuff.

Good stuff.

A set of those will definitely be in my future.
Old 11-13-17, 10:36 PM

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Tiagra Crank with Deore Rear?

check this out 2X Tiagra Crank 50/34 and match that with a 10 speed 11-36 or 11-42 10 speed cassette with Deore Shadow derailer..
Frankenstein Drivetrain hahaha
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...O7NAWM0L&psc=1
Old 11-13-17, 10:43 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
check this out 2X Tiagra Crank 50/34 and match that with a 10 speed 11-36 or 11-42 10 speed cassette with Deore Shadow derailer..
I don’t think you could run in the 50 front and 42 rear, probably have some chain length issues, but there shouldn’t be much issue running with the 36 in the rear, but I’d suggest using a SGS length derailleur even though they’re made for a triple crankset.

Last edited by Scooty Puff Jr; 11-13-17 at 10:47 PM.
Old 11-13-17, 10:44 PM
Banned.

As I mentioned previously, I'd be concerned about the chainline and Q-Factor.

A double 11 speed XTR/XT mountain bike crank tends to have a chainline of 50mm if it isn't a boost version and Q-Factors between 158 to 168mm.
Old 11-13-17, 11:04 PM

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
As I mentioned previously, I'd be concerned about the chainline and Q-Factor.

A double 11 speed XTR/XT mountain bike crank tends to have a chainline of 50mm if it isn't a boost version and Q-Factors between 158 to 168mm.
my limits to bike drivetrain knowledge have been reached.. lol.. ugh.. I'll go back to saying Gimme the Roam 1's Drivetrain.. That should definitely fit just fine.. all components should work just fine on the Toughroad..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.