Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Adult coloring books have got nothing on this

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Adult coloring books have got nothing on this

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-23, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Originally Posted by mgopack42
Hey Andy be sure to do your homework. there are many types of respirator cartridges, with different use cases. find the right one, and remember they dont last forever. I treat the chemical cartridges as one use only for safety (if you store then in a air tight bag, you should be good for one paint job). You DO NOT want the 2K clear hardening inside your lungs!
Yeah, if the one he's currently isn't using almost brand new I'd personally buy new cartridges just to be safe. But he is wearing the right type of mask... I just didn't want to assume earlier that his has any issues, but if there's doubt then it's best to start fresh.

And yes, the 2k clear has those nasty isocyanates. Don't want to mess with that stuff! I'm personally going to chance spraying the frame I have outdoors under an awning rather than inside since I don't want to bother my uncle about using his booth.

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Of course, you will need a compressor and gun. I don't know if this is something that you have or would consider.
There are a lot of automotive paints and colors you can have compressed into spray cans or purchase off-the-shelf that way.

-Gregory

Last edited by Kilroy1988; 06-24-23 at 04:07 PM.
Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 06-24-23, 04:11 PM
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 994 Times in 661 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
I am working on stepping up my rattle can paint skillz as well. My most recent endeavor being a couple months ago. Bought a 60cm/biggest Specialized Tricross Sport Triple near the end of last year and after some component/setup testing went well, that was the green light needed to paint it and put gratuitously fancy parts on it. The aluminum frame had been stripped--pretty darn well I might add--by the previous previous owner, and looked dingy. I had plans to do a Cannondale-esque super buffing job, or at the very least, a masochistic multi-step wet sand effort, but the aluminum was having none of it. So paint it was. Picked up some "Pixie Dust" from the brand Color Shot. Lots of fun names that I appreciated, from a company that, through can shape and features, marketing/branding, and naming, is definitely not aimed at, well, guys.

I erroneously thought Pixie Dust was a pearlescent white, but it was actually pearlescent clear. I wanted a whimsical color full of sparkles to contrast with the Ultra Serious Fast Biker parts I was going to put on it and apparently failed at eyesight and reading comprehension. With the frame and fork all ready to go... Grabbed some matte black high-temp enamel paint from the shop/garage and said to myself, "Self, sparkly black will have to do." So I sprayed the black, then the Pixie Dust, and the frame turned forest green.... What is the world anymore??? Anyway, not all, or any, was lost! I had MASSIVE sparkles going on, and I knew that dark green with tan wall tires and black rims would look epic (from a prior build for someone else). I used 2k Clear's little brother, 1K Clear. Not as durable, but also not as nasty. Decals from eBay (definitely NOT Velocals in quality nor price) and away I went to build! Could I have stood to sand between coats, as well as cut and buff (or similar) the clear coat? Very much so. But, I wanted to build the darn thing and this is going to be a gravelly adventure bike.

Started with this:

Puzzled at the green, but hyped for the sparkly green and matching frame and fork (and stem, like all those fancy custom bikes get).

To this end result: 20.8 lbs of Um, Did You Put A Specialized "S" On That Carbon Bontrager XXX Stem???

48mm tires try in vain to fill the vast space between the fork blades.

Is this the cool guy bike pose? Anyway, all that to say, Andy, is that with more patience and planning than me, you can make it look actually legit, not fading in and out of smooth gloss and textured semi gloss finishing (tried hard to get the stuff to lay down well, but I painted it outside, 25 feet from where this photo was taken). Looking forward to seeing it progress! I also like the added braze-ons. I would have done the same.

gorgeous bike ​​​​​​​
Likes For georges1:
Old 06-24-23, 04:16 PM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3236 Post(s)
Liked 3,883 Times in 1,443 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Interesting that the liquid mask had that much trouble, I've never tried the product.
I found a video of Brian Chapman using liquid mask. He says the product he uses is called "Spray Mask" but I couldn't find it. It's definitely much pastier going on than what I tried, but maybe he adds something to it? In any event, it can't be overstated that Brian Chapman is a master craftsman, while I'm just a guy in his garage trying not to foul things up too badly.

I'm surprised how much texture Chapman had in his paint at this stage. I've had that with the bikes I've painted, but I've learned how to clean it up with wet sanding. I thought it was just a symptom of my poor technique. I don't know anything about what he was doing, but the finished product ended up perfect, as all his work does.
Old 06-24-23, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by bulgie
For isocyanate, no cartridges are good enough, you need a supplied-air hood, with air pumped in from somewhere distant, outside the spray booth. The stuff is highly carcinogenic. You can't even take the lid off the can without your hood on and air pump running.

That's the advice for pros, though maybe as a hobbyist doing just one frame, you could get away with organic vapor cartridges. Not HEPA, which are only for particulates. HEPA over an organic vapor cartridge can be a good idea though.

Check the mask fit by covering the air inlets and trying to breathe in. If any air is getting in around the edges of the mask, no bueno. Beards are not allowed.
This is the kind of advice that tends to scare me away from the really high quality paints. The professional handling versus amateur use kind of reminds me of how when you go to the dentist they point the X-ray machine at your head and then go run into another room before clicking the button. There's definitely something to the volume of exposure, but I'm not sure I want to ingest a "safe amount" of highly carcinogenic vapors just to make my bike look better.

Plus, I'd have to shave my beard!
Old 06-24-23, 04:47 PM

Grabbed some matte black high-temp enamel paint from the shop/garage and said to myself, "Self, sparkly black will have to do." So I sprayed the black, then the Pixie Dust, and the frame turned forest green.... What is the world anymore???
If memory serves, forest green was the factory color for the Tricross in some years. Maybe the bike just really wanted to be green.

It looks great in your pictures, but I know first hand the person who paints a bike is always painfully aware of the gap between how a bike looks in pictures and the flaws they know are there.
Old 06-24-23, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by mgopack42
Hey Andy be sure to do your homework. there are many types of respirator cartridges, with different use cases. find the right one, and remember they dont last forever. I treat the chemical cartridges as one use only for safety (if you store then in a air tight bag, you should be good for one paint job). You DO NOT want the 2K clear hardening inside your lungs!
Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
Yeah, if the one he's currently isn't using almost brand new I'd personally buy new cartridges just to be safe.
The mask is brand new, but just judging from the amount of primer that has already collected on the surface of the filters, I'm going to assume I'll want new ones every time I paint a bike. Also, while I trust the Harbor Freight cartridges enough for standard spray paint, I'd probably consider upgrading them before using the really dangerous stuff anyway. In fact, given that my current facilities are limited to a tent in the garage, I may just stay away from the dangerous stuff. With both garage doors open, the ventilation is pretty good, but the tent does a pretty good job of keeping things in.
Old 06-24-23, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
I like automotive paints because I like shinny finishes. I also sometimes use Rustoleum. I don't remember if I have actually used automotive 2k Clear Coat over Rustoleum, however, I have used it over Koolest Kolors single part enamel and it worked well. I think if you let the Rustoleum or enamel paint dry enough, I waited about a week and then use the 2k clear coat you should be good. Of course, you will need a compressor and gun. I don't know if this is something that you have or would consider.

As for specific clear coat brands, everyone has their own opinions on these. I have been using a value brand that I get from my local auto supply shop. The results are good for the price. If you go to paint forums some people like my choice and some do not. The other issue is the gun. You can do a good job with a Harbor Freight gun. I have one. It doesn't put out the volume of paint, a wide spray pattern or atomize as good as the pro guns, but for a cheap gun on a bicycle frame where you don't need a wide pattern, it does good. I also have a more expensive gun, but it is not one of those high priced pro guns. I am not a pro, or even close. I paint in my driveway.

As you probably know already @Andy_K , prep work is the most important factor and be patient. If you go this route, spray on a cardboard box to get used to whatever gun you use and get it set up.
Thanks for all that. I can see myself heading this direction in the future. I've been trying to figure out how whether I can build a proper paint booth under my back deck, but it seems a bit expensive to just paint a frame every year or two.

For this project my original idea was to see just how far I can push the limits of standard rattle can paint, and I think I'm going to stick with that. I can always strip it down and try again in a few years if I'm not happy with the results. That's one of the great things about doing your own work, I guess. The cost of materials is well within the budget of what I'd spend just to learn something new.
Old 06-24-23, 05:46 PM

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked 1,623 Times in 750 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K;22933517It's a [url=https://www.harborfreight.com/p95-maintenance-free-dual-cartridge-respirator-large-67727.html
Harbor Freight cheapie[/url], but they describe it as a cartridge respirator.
It has the right organic vapor cartridges, I'd use it.

When the cartridges are used up, you'll get breakthrough and know it right away, you can smell/taste it and it's time to stop and step away.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 06-24-23, 05:47 PM

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 1,034 Times in 530 Posts
I am working on stepping up my rattle can paint skillz as well. My most recent endeavor being a couple months ago. Bought a 60cm/biggest Specialized Tricross Sport Triple near the end of last year and after some component/setup testing went well, that was the green light needed to paint it and put gratuitously fancy parts on it. The aluminum frame had been stripped--pretty darn well I might add--by the previous previous owner, and looked dingy. I had plans to do a Cannondale-esque super buffing job, or at the very least, a masochistic multi-step wet sand effort, but the aluminum was having none of it. So paint it was. Picked up some "Pixie Dust" from the brand Color Shot. Lots of fun names that I appreciated, from a company that, through can shape and features, marketing/branding, and naming, is definitely not aimed at, well, guys.

I erroneously thought Pixie Dust was a pearlescent white, but it was actually pearlescent clear. I wanted a whimsical color full of sparkles to contrast with the Ultra Serious Fast Biker parts I was going to put on it and apparently failed at eyesight and reading comprehension. With the frame and fork all ready to go... Grabbed some matte black high-temp enamel paint from the shop/garage and said to myself, "Self, sparkly black will have to do." So I sprayed the black, then the Pixie Dust, and the frame turned forest green.... What is the world anymore??? Anyway, not all, or any, was lost! I had MASSIVE sparkles going on, and I knew that dark green with tan wall tires and black rims would look epic (from a prior build for someone else). I used 2k Clear's little brother, 1K Clear. Not as durable, but also not as nasty. Decals from eBay (definitely NOT Velocals in quality nor price) and away I went to build! Could I have stood to sand between coats, as well as cut and buff (or similar) the clear coat? Very much so. But, I wanted to build the darn thing and this is going to be a gravelly adventure bike.

Puzzled at the green, but hyped for the sparkly green and matching frame and fork (and stem, like all those fancy custom bikes get).

To this end result: 20.8 lbs of Um, Did You Put A Specialized "S" On That Carbon Bontrager XXX Stem???

That is the color I have been looking for to paint my FW Evans, but I was looking at green paints, not black. I had used Rustoleum Cobalt Blue Metallic to paint my Fuji with good results. Their website shows the same paint in forest green, so I was hoping to use it again, but I can't find it anywhere. I see that Walmart has Pixie Dust on the shelf, so I will pick some up and try it over a few different undercoat colors to see which one I like best.

Last edited by Pompiere; 06-25-23 at 04:18 AM. Reason: fix grammer
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 06-24-23, 05:54 PM

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Liked 1,034 Times in 672 Posts
There are a lot of automotive paints and colors you can have compressed into spray cans or purchase off-the-shelf that way.

-Gregory
Yes. Good point Gregory. I had some House of Kolor paint loaded into spray cans and the nozzles on them were far better than Rustoleum and the results were great. See picture below:

This is the base coat. There is no clear coat over it so it looks a little textured. That will all smooth out with clear coat. I am showing the bottom bracket so that you can see how the paint looks at different angles. Good stuff this HOK paint in a can.

I do like my clear coats though. Tough and glossy. There are also 2k clear coat aerosol cans like Eastwood were there is a separate container within the can that contains the activator. This gets mixed inside the can right before you are ready to paint. There are others that also make 2k clear coats in aerosol cans. Spray Max is another. I have not used either one though.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 06-24-23, 10:53 PM
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 2,029 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
If memory serves, forest green was the factory color for the Tricross in some years. Maybe the bike just really wanted to be green.

It looks great in your pictures, but I know first hand the person who paints a bike is always painfully aware of the gap between how a bike looks in pictures and the flaws they know are there.
The bike was originally a pretty dark grey, but I didn't know about the dark green paint some came with until after I painted it. So accidentally unoriginal!
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 06-24-23, 10:57 PM
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Originally Posted by Pompiere
That is the color I have been looking for to paint my FW Evans, but I was for green paints, not black. I had used Rustoleum Cobalt Blue Metallic to paint my Fuji with good results. Their website shows the same paint in forest green, so I was hoping to use it again, but I can't find it anywhere. I see that Walmart has Pixie Dust on the shelf, so I will pick some up and try it over a few different undercoat colors to see which one I like best.
Yeah, that Pixie Dust, after my experience, is put in the "Your results may vary" bucket. I'd be interested to see what your experimentation results in. I went quite liberal on the Pixie Dust application. The first finer dust of it was basically barely sparkling black. That would have been neat, but I'm glad I went full Unikitty on it. I still need a bike in a candy fuchsia at some point, because I am crazy, but that will have to wait.
Old 06-25-23, 12:38 AM

If my patience holds out, it will be a few weeks before I have an update with the bike in color. In the meantime, I painted a wood sample to see the color. I think it'll come out pretty close to how I envisioned it.

Old 07-01-23, 06:14 PM

I tried to wait until after my vacation to break out the Cobalt Blue, but I couldn't quite do it. I sanded the final layer of primer on the fork on Thursday, and Friday night I gave a few coats of color. My justification is that it will let me see if there's a difference between only waiting six days versus waiting two weeks, plus I'll be able to experiment with the clear coat sooner if I decide to do so. The reality is, I just couldn't wait.

Old 07-01-23, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Looks good, Andy! Once I fix the dropout on my Vincitore I'm still not sure which color I'll go with, but it might be similar to the original blue (which appears to be just slightly darker than yours). Will you be doing any contrasting colors on the head or seat tube?

-Gregory
Old 07-01-23, 07:31 PM

Looks good, Andy! Once I fix the dropout on my Vincitore I'm still not sure which color I'll go with, but it might be similar to the original blue (which appears to be just slightly darker than yours). Will you be doing any contrasting colors on the head or seat tube?
I thought long and hard about using white on the head tube, but I decided to leave it solid so the chrome lugs wouldn't get lost in the white paint.

I've got some chrome tape. I wonder if I could pull off a chrome barber pole? Probably too much.

I would have really liked to do something like Mercian's Electric Pearl Blue, but that's beyond what I can do with a rattle can. But one of the reasons I chose to attempt DIY paint instead of powder coating (the other option that was within my current budget) is that the spray paint will be easy to strip off for a better finish later. Besides just being a fun learning project, this will let me enjoy the bike for a few years without doing any harm to it.
Old 07-08-23, 06:36 AM

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 1,034 Times in 530 Posts
Yeah, that Pixie Dust, after my experience, is put in the "Your results may vary" bucket. I'd be interested to see what your experimentation results in. I went quite liberal on the Pixie Dust application. The first finer dust of it was basically barely sparkling black. That would have been neat, but I'm glad I went full Unikitty on it. I still need a bike in a candy fuchsia at some point, because I am crazy, but that will have to wait.
I did a test with Pixie Dust and two shades of Rustoleum Forest Green. It looks like I went a little heavier with the Pixie Dust on the dark green and the color started to look more teal green. It is hard to capture the sparkle with the camera. So it seems, you can use a light coating of Pixie Dust to give your regular paint a little sparkle without changing the color, but if you use a lot of Pixie Dust, it could alter the color of the paint. A lot depends on how the ambient light is reflecting off the paint. Mid-day direct sunlight had the most effect, with indirect lighting it was hard to see the difference between Pixie Dust and plain paint. For my FW Evans, I am leaning toward the Forest Green with a light coating of Pixie Dust to give a little sparkle without changing the color.

Rustoleum Forest Green on the left, Dark Forest Green on the right. Rustoleum Almond is for contrast on the head tube and seat tube.
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 07-08-23, 06:55 AM

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 414 Posts
I wonder for masking of such complexity, if anyone has tried masking fluid that you paint on. I recall modelers using something called "Magic Mask". I see Amazon for instance has various brands.

Regardless, that is very complex masking.

I've tried a few different kinds. For one project I used green Frog Tape, which I had on hand from having used it for painting walls in the house. It's good for masking the trim on walls. It left a lot of residue on the bike project I used it with, but other than that I think it was OK. For my previous project I decided to try something different. I got 3M ScotchBlue™ Ultra Sharp Lines tape (#2098). This stuff kind of plastic and a bit tougher than the Frog Tape. It tears off the roll easily, but stretches a bit. I find that for relatively simple lines it's a great choice. I used it on the fork crown pictured below on the 1979 Centurion Elite that I painted last year and was very happy with it for that project. For the Vincitore I'm working on now, I couldn't get it to cut cleanly enough for the tight curves and fine points of the lugs, even with a very sharp blade. When I was out getting some other supplies for the current project, I came across 3M Automotive Performance Masking Tape. The packaging said it was good for curved surfaces, so I thought I'd give it a try. You see from the pictures above that it worked well for conforming to the lug edges. It was mostly easy to cut, but on the fine points I kept getting a few fibers that didn't want to separate and essentially had to be scraped away from what I was leaving, sometimes pulling a bit off that I would have preferred to leave. I think for my case that's OK since I am masking chrome that I want to be bare in the end. I'll be able to polish off any minor overspray. If you were trying to mask a color to be kept it would be more of a problem. I haven't found a tape that is perfect for that.

Old 07-09-23, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by tiger1964
I wonder for masking of such complexity, if anyone has tried masking fluid that you paint on. I recall modelers using something called "Magic Mask". I see Amazon for instance has various brands.
At this point I don't even have a working theory on how to pick one that would work well for masking chrome. If anyone has experience and can recommend a brand I would be interested.

I was thinking about this last night and I think I may need to do the masking again because I don't think I'll want to apply decals and clear coat until I've seen how my lug masking looks after paint. It seems likely that some touch up will be needed.
Old 07-09-23, 01:15 PM
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2159 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,217 Posts
Try Pro-Line Liquid Mask- can be applied with a brush or airbrush- and a #11 X-Acto blade. Trick is to paint well over the lug and onto the tube itself, then use the blade tip along the edge. Then remove the excess dried masking from the non-lug area- it just peels off. Available from R/C hobby supply places like Horizon.
And patience. Lots of patience.
Old 07-09-23, 04:02 PM
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 4,421 Times in 2,098 Posts
At this point I don't even have a working theory on how to pick one that would work well for masking chrome. If anyone has experience and can recommend a brand I would be interested.

I was thinking about this last night and I think I may need to do the masking again because I don't think I'll want to apply decals and clear coat until I've seen how my lug masking looks after paint. It seems likely that some touch up will be needed.
I tried liquid frisket on chrome lugs. Wouldn't stick. Experimenting with white silicone dabbed on, though it's not really feasible for anything with thin shorelines.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 07-20-23, 03:12 PM

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked 1,623 Times in 750 Posts
My Shogun 650b build gets off the line and onto the road.

Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 07-29-23, 11:03 PM

I love it when a plan comes together!

I still need to do a bit of clean up around the masking, but this is about the go in the storage space above my garage to bake for a couple of weeks, and I wanted to strip off the masking to get an idea whether the project was going to be successful or not. I'm over the moon happy with it. And I think it comes pretty close to @RiddleOfSteel's mock up.

Now it just needs a couple of weeks to let off gas, then I'll apply the decals and clear coat. So far, so good!

Last edited by Andy_K; 07-29-23 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-30-23, 12:49 AM
Master Parts Rearranger

Looks great!
Old 07-30-23, 09:54 AM
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1499 Post(s)
Liked 1,102 Times in 645 Posts
Andy K - Nicely done. Will the paint on the chrome rub off?

I came to the thread late. I once attempted a DIY 2-K clear over a frame. Used a 3M mask with cartridges and sprayed outdoors. Bottom line was that I was not impressed with the results, and I suspect that I have neither the equipment, nor the space to do this properly and safely. After reading through this, I was wondering if anyone had priced a professional doing a good 2K clear over a frame they had painted themself? If not excessive, I am thinking that reducing the risk of self harm and improving the result might be worth it. As I look about 2 years out, I see that I may have 3-4 frames that I expect to complete painting myself and am thinking that if I have a small batch to send to a painter, I might be able to bring the price per unit down a bit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.