Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What camera do you use on your commute? How do you mount them?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What camera do you use on your commute? How do you mount them?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-13, 10:44 AM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4343 Post(s)
Liked 2,999 Times in 1,628 Posts
Originally Posted by CommuteCommando
I saw postings in many other forums (Motorbike, skiing, surfing etc) where people were talking about scrambling to get the remaining stock. Why? It's electronics.
I just ordered some extra batteries for my Contour GPS. On top of the $300 camera, I've also got a helmet mount, two strap mounts, a pole mount, batteries and chargers... I'd consider an extra camera as a backup in case of damage so I wouldn't have to toss all the accessories. I like my Contour, but if I didn't have all the accessories I certainly wouldn't buy a dinosaur.

Old 08-14-13, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a couple of the earlier HD808 cameras (one each for front & rear footage) that I bought to collect "black box" video in case of an accident. They're light and unobtrusive -- I dislike the GoPro-atop-helmet look, but after 6-9 months the HD808's batteries were good for only a small fraction of the claimed runtime -- they won't even last through a 10 minute ride. So to use them I now run USB cables to an external USB battery that I stash in a bag on the rear rack (I think that cost only a little more than buying replacement batteries and going through the hassle of soldering them in; newer versions apparently have non-soldered batteries). Videos are a little jumpy (720p 30fps in theory) and noisy (drivetrain hum on both, and IIRC wind noise in the front). The cameras don't seem waterproof at all, but they run pretty hot in summertime, so I haven't dared trying tricks like mounting them in Tic-Tac boxes to keep them dry. Even in dry weather, it's a hassle to take them in when locking up the bike, and the firmware for the cameras I have won't automatically delete old movies, so every week I'd have to pop the memory cards and delete the MOV files with a PC. So I seldom use them anymore.

As for how I mount them... the front sticks to my handlebar's headlamp with velcro. The rear is held by rubber bands to a narrow shelf I fashioned under my saddle rails with small pieces of metal and plastic. Each has a few inches of fishing monofilament tied to it as a failsafe tether. I've thought about using velcro and flexible plastic to make canopies to wrap around the sides for rain protection. Maybe if I did that and bought bigger SD cards I'd use the cameras more often. I bought them mostly to gather footage in case of a crash, but that's a rather depressing thought, which probably explains why I haven't worked out rain protection (nice as that would be for the occasional snowfall).

I think I'd be more likely to use helmet-mounted, waterproof cameras with decent batteries. You can get a pretty good deal right now on the ContourROAM version 1, which looks about perfect -- if you don't mind adding over 10 ounces to your helmet weight to get front & rear footage.

I mainly run the HD808s now if I'm in the mood to capture normal footage (and it's not raining). For instance, the anti-bike folks have been pretty loud around here lately, so I've been running the cameras to get footage of actual behavior. Naturally the motorists are pretty bad -- rolling stops, ignoring stop signs, not using turn signals (all it takes is moving yer blasted pinkie finger one inch, one time; the darn car turns off those signals for you!!!), etc. Pedestrians, too -- they'll cross against the signal whenever they think they can get away with it.
Old 08-15-13, 04:47 AM
Lentement mais sûrement

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I use a Gopro 2 on a stem cap mount. I broke all the GoPro mounts I've had, and now the connecting part on the GoPro case is broken too. Piece of ***** if you ask me.
Old 08-15-13, 05:05 AM

Bikes: Cruzbike Flamingo folding conversion, Oyama East Village

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've just ordered an SJ1000 for around $75. It seems to be well reviewed over the internet and youtube and such. Have a look at it.
Old 02-25-14, 10:13 PM

Bikes: Terratrike Rover 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First, apologies for thread resurrection

Second, Contour is back in business. I love riding with my Roam 2
Third, I generally lurk and prefer to keep my thoughts to myself. However:
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
cyclists should have license plate readers so we know the background of the drivers that harass us. it would also be good to know if they have a license to carry for example ... I mean you don't want to mess with those dudes
As a cyclist with a concealed handgun permit (and who rides while carrying), I find this very offensive.
You don't draw a firearm simply because someone "messes" with you or angers you. There are very specific instances where it is to legal to draw a weapon--generally only when life (yours or others') is in immediate danger (and this is further hemmed in by various laws that vary a bit from state to state). You don't shoot to kill or wound. You shoot to stop an attack. Period. Draw and point the weapon when you don't have a legal right to fire? That's assault by pointing a gun, go directly to jail.

And as a reminder, when a driver intentionally tries to run someone over, it is assault with a deadly weapon, with intent to kill or inflict serious bodily harm. Don't believe me? Try running over a cop, and see what charges get applied if you survive the experience.

Maybe more cyclists who carry cameras and carry concealed would help keep the drivers honest?

Last edited by Claggart; 02-25-14 at 10:26 PM. Reason: spelling error corrections. Legal clarifications.
Old 02-26-14, 07:29 AM
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Claggart
As a cyclist with a concealed handgun permit (and who rides while carrying), I find this very offensive.
You don't draw a firearm simply because someone "messes" with you or angers you.
YOU don't. A quick glance at the news indicates that SOME gun owners shoot for any reason or no reason. Remember the cyclist a year or two back who was shot in the helmet by an off-duty firefighter (IIRC) because he was riding with his daughter on the bike and apparently that nutjob decided that shooting at the cyclist with the daughter on the bike was a good way to teach him a lesson about how dangerous things were.

I think it's a good idea to avoid pissing people off in general, but it's undeniable that some people become violent, including people carrying firearms. Having the knowledge that someone might be carrying couldn't hurt. I don't think it's practical to do any of this though.

And as a reminder, when a driver intentionally tries to run someone over, it is assault with a deadly weapon, with intent to kill or inflict serious bodily harm. Don't believe me? Try running over a cop, and see what charges get applied if you survive the experience.
Sure, if you run over a COP. Now get run over as a normal every day cyclist, and see if the cops will support the charge of assault with a deadly weapon or not. Unless there is proof that you were maliciously attempting to kill the cyclist, they will probably charge him with a traffic offense and fine him $200.

Maybe more cyclists who carry cameras and carry concealed would help keep the drivers honest?
Well, I'm riding with the camera. I am not opposed to firearms but I don't imagine in my area I'll ever need one, and I hate carrying extra junk around anyway, a half pound hunk of steel that I'll probably never use isn't something I care to hump around all the time.
Old 02-27-14, 02:31 PM

Bikes: Terratrike Rover 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
YOU don't. A quick glance at the news indicates that SOME gun owners shoot for any reason or no reason. Remember the cyclist a year or two back who was shot in the helmet by an off-duty firefighter (IIRC) because he was riding with his daughter on the bike and apparently that nutjob decided that shooting at the cyclist with the daughter on the bike was a good way to teach him a lesson about how dangerous things were.
The incident you remember happened in Asheville, on the other side of the state. The news makes sure you hear about every single incident. See later in post about difficulty in finding unbiased sources these days.
However, with roughly 89 firearms owned in the US per 100 people, you need to amend that "SOME" to "VERY, VERY FEW" gun owners. Seriously, if gun owners were as violent as the anti-gun news media hypes, there would not be ANY anti-gunners left alive.

I think it's a good idea to avoid pissing people off in general, but it's undeniable that some people become violent, including people carrying firearms. Having the knowledge that someone might be carrying couldn't hurt. I don't think it's practical to do any of this though.
Agreed about pissing people off. And that some people can become violent, it's human nature and an evolutionary survival trait.
Sure, if you run over a COP. Now get run over as a normal every day cyclist, and see if the cops will support the charge of assault with a deadly weapon or not. Unless there is proof that you were maliciously attempting to kill the cyclist, they will probably charge him with a traffic offense and fine him $200.
Unfortunately the more I look around the more I have to agree with you on this point. That's why I'm looking at mounting an aft-facing camera to complement my helmet cam, maybe an iON AirPro 2 or 3 for the wide angle. "your honor, does that look like the facial expression of a man who didn't see the cyclist, or does that look of fixed fury and determination, those hands clenched on the steering wheel, look like the expression of a man about to commit murder?"

Well, I'm riding with the camera. I am not opposed to firearms but I don't imagine in my area I'll ever need one, and I hate carrying extra junk around anyway, a half pound hunk of steel that I'll probably never use isn't something I care to hump around all the time.
I'm glad we've both got cameras and I hope you'll never been in a situation where you'll NEED the camera footage, and that I'll never need either the footage or the firearm. As to the weight, I'm a Clydesdale on a heavy tadpole festooned with lights and burdened with tools, spare tubes, office clothes, shower shoes, toiletries, spare batteries, etc. Heck, my body weight can vary by more than 2# a day. I don't even notice the additional 27oz in a chest rig under my jersey. It's like insurance or the camera footage--it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

FYI, the main reason I carry while riding isn't people, drivers or otherwise. It's the #%%*& dogs. There were 3 large dogs on my commute that seemed to enjoy getting maced/pepper sprayed/bear sprayed. Animal control eventually got that bunch last season, but the owners have already replaced them, and they never tie them up. Wish my commute didn't go through the ghetto, but there are only so many routes from where there is housing to where I work.

so back to OP topic: Contour Roam2 on the helmet. Looking at mounting an aft facing wide-angle camera on a riser so it's at driver's face level.