Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

My new/old Dawes Galaxy

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

My new/old Dawes Galaxy

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-07, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My new/old Dawes Galaxy

Hey dudes. On the way to the bike shop today where I was going to test-ride a £300 Ridgeback Meteor and Velocity, I found a nice red Dawes Galaxy for £75. It looked in fine condition, was shockingly light (lighter than the aforementioned Ridgebackes, I reckon), and immidiately felt quite nice to ride. I've never tried drop handle bars before but they felt good, in fact they were no lower than the bars were on my old bike, really.

I ended up buying it a few hours later, concluding that if I changed my mind I'm sure to be able to sell it on to someone who'd really like it. It feels ok so far, needs cleaning up a bit probably. The wheels are 27", I think. It says 28/32 - 630 (27 1/4 - FIFTY) on the tyres.

It has been suggested that this will pose a problem should I need to replace the wheels. Hopefully I won't have to, and perhaps if it comes to that some time then I'll sell it somewhere.

I don't know much about the bike, in fact I thought it was some kind of cheap not-very-good one when I first saw the name, but it turns out its quite a well known touring bike? Mine was guessed to be from the 80's. I don't have my camera with me now to take better pictures but here are the ones I took earlier:

Any comments? I plan to ride this 130 miles in one day, in 3 weeks time. I might get a new saddle, its very hard, I really feel the ground through it. Or maybe its meant to be like that?

Since I payed 1/4 of the price I was willing to, I can spend all kinds of money on it. But I have very little technical knowledge with bikes so I can't really do a lot.

Any comments or suggestions? Is it a good bike? Is it ****? Should I get a new one instead?

Anything at all, thanks

--Joe
Old 11-29-07, 01:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any bike is a good bike if you enjoy riding it.
Old 11-29-07, 01:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Marrock
Any bike is a good bike if you enjoy riding it.
lol... don't be afraid to tell me its a load of crap. Just because I've bought it doesn't mean I'll neccessarily have to keep it. It was very cheap, and I'm still open to getting something else.
Old 11-29-07, 03:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I couldn't say one way or the other since I've never met a Dawes before.
Old 11-30-07, 07:44 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Dawes Galaxy is a classic, lugged steel, what a deal. Looks like it could do with a good clean and lube though. You might think about changing the cassette, chain and chain rings. Your wheel is 27", or 630mm, but you'll be able to use 700c, 622mm diameter wheel, tubes, however, 27" (630mm) diameter tires are not stocked by many shops. Ride with a couple of tire boots to repair your tire. At some point you might go to 700c, 622mm diameter, rims. They should work fine with a small brake alignment. This is a great project bike!!!!!
Old 11-30-07, 07:49 AM

Bikes: Thorn Nomad S+S, Trek 520 - 2007 (out on loan), and a crap Repco MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Dawes galaxy series have always been an excellent bike, comparable to the Trek 520. As for the saddle, put a Brooks on like that Bob Jackson in the 1st pic.

Two of my mates are on a huge cycling trip at the moment, riding Galaxies: www.bishandjohn.com
Old 11-30-07, 09:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
Dawes Galaxy is a classic, lugged steel, what a deal. Looks like it could do with a good clean and lube though. You might think about changing the cassette, chain and chain rings. Your wheel is 27", or 630mm, but you'll be able to use 700c, 622mm diameter wheel, tubes, however, 27" (630mm) diameter tires are not stocked by many shops. Ride with a couple of tire boots to repair your tire. At some point you might go to 700c, 622mm diameter, rims. They should work fine with a small brake alignment. This is a great project bike!!!!!
Hmm, I hadn't thought about the tubes! So its ok to use bigger tubes, or is it a bit **** but it just about works? I thought 700c was 28", wider in diameter than 27"... but you say 630mm vs 622? What do all the numbers refer to in "28/32 - 630 (27 1/4 - FIFTY)"

A project bike isn't really what I was after, but I guess it was always going to be one :/
I have absolutely no technical ability with bikes, although believe me I've tried. I set out to repair and restore my old bike, 4 or 5 months ago, and ended up completely wrecking it and quickening its demise. I don't know any bikey people in real life and my offers to volunteer at the "bike rescue" place where I got this Galaxy have not been taken up.

I'll see about changing that gear cable tonight. It needs a slight adjustment anyway, the front derailleur doesn't go out quite enough, the chain just tickles it as it goes past, on the outer ring at the front.

I'm really afraid to try to adjust the brakes or derailleurs, because every time I've tried to do it before it just wrecks the whole thing and it never goes back right. Is it a matter of endless trial-and-error?

DukeArcher - Thanks for the saddle suggestion, I'll see what my several LBS's sell
Old 11-30-07, 09:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, those saddles are expensive!
Old 11-30-07, 11:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. Its a good bike. made in england better than the new dawes (now made in tiawan).
2. Don't worry about adjusting stuff as you adjust you we see it moving in the right or wrong direction so go for it. It wont break!
3. Brooks b17 saddles are only £30 and are the nicest most comfortable saddles you will own and add character.

Good luck. Marc.
Old 11-30-07, 08:47 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Originally Posted by pugboy
3. Brooks b17 saddles are only £30 and are the nicest most comfortable saddles you will own and add character.
Where can you find a B17 that cheap? The cheapest I've seen are $60.

I know it can be intimidating to try to fix a bike without much knowledge, but take it one thing at a time. Start with that front derailleur, first read about derailleur alignment on the sheldon brown or park tool websites and then have a go, it will probably only need a turn of a limit screw to move the derailler cage so that the chain doesn't rub.

Finally tire size, this is notoriously complicated and stupid with several different names meaning the same thing, or eve different things. It all stems from defining things in metirc, English units and a specialized French system (thats 700c, 650b etc). So here goes. The "28/32 - 630" probaly refers to the inner tube, its made for 28 or 32 mm tires on a 630mm diameter rim, 27 x 1 1/4 - FIFTY is your tire size equivalent to the ISO standard measurement of 28-630 ie 28mm wide tire and 630mm inner diameter.

You are right that 622 mm diameter tires are called 28", but some quick math will show you that 622 mm is nowhere near 28", however, a 28-622 tire has an outer diameter very close to 27". Another stupid thing is that 29"er bikes use a big tire on a 622 rim.

I just stick with the ISO way of designating tires as I find it simplest.

So you have 28-630 tires, you can still buy these, but if you replace the wheels one day I'd go to a 622 rim and then you can run 28-622 tires, and probably something a bit fatter too maybe 32-622 or 35-622.
Old 12-01-07, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
A rider on a Dawes Galaxy can be seen on every Cycle Tourist Club ride.
Tyres for 27" are still available in the UK from places like SPA although you cant get the latest high-techery. Switching to 700c wheels will give you a bit more tyre clearance to run wider tyres and the brakes can be adjusted for the slightly smaller diameter rim.
700c and 27" take the same inner tube.
Old 12-01-07, 07:45 AM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Sweet Ride!
When I set up my first long haul tour bike back in the mid 70's I had a hard time deciding between a Dawes and a Bob Jackson. I bought the Jackson and had it stolen a few months later. Finally 30 some years later I have a Galaxy frame set.

Follow the advice of some of the previous posts, Sheldon Brown's website will be invaluable as well as the Park Tool site. The key to making adjustments is to take it easy, only turn set screws a quarter turn at a time and remember which way you turned them.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 12-01-07, 12:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pugboy 3. Brooks b17 saddles are only £30 and are the nicest most comfortable saddles you will own and add character.

$60 is £30.
Old 12-01-07, 01:28 PM

Bikes: 1983 Dawes Galaxy, 2006 Raleigh Airlite, 1982 Sun Solo (fixed)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I own a Dawes Galaxy Very similar to that

Love it, nice ride and fairly quick

Bought it as a wreck and restored it

I put a Brooks B-17 on it, never looked back
Just have to get the angle right on it

Mine is from '89 AFAIK

Links to the pics of it are in my sig
i jam my thumbs up and back into the tubes. this way i can point my fingers straight out in front to split the wind and attain an even more aero profile, and the usual fixed gear - zen - connectedness feeling through the drivetrain is multiplied ten fold because my thumbs become one with the tubing.
A group for all Dawes Galaxy owners to give and recieve information about them
https://flickr.com/groups/dawes_galaxy/
Old 12-01-07, 01:59 PM
nun

Originally Posted by pugboy 3. Brooks b17 saddles are only £30 and are the nicest most comfortable saddles you will own and add character.

$60 is £30.
OOPS! I should read more carefully
Old 12-04-07, 03:28 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Hmmmm...dump it. Let one of the other English posters know where... at least they might have the knowledge, skill and patience to do a decent restoration job on it.

While I appreciate all the deserved plaudits by the other posters for Dawes Galaxy as a brand, I would suggest that the bike might not be in good enough condition to do what you want. Just go get a new bike... at least you'll know it will do the distance, and if the bike shop is doing its job, it will fit you properly out the door.
Old 12-04-07, 04:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a bit harsh Rowan! if he's going to dump it then he may as well strip it down, learn how to rebuild it and adjust the derailleur. As most of us know its not that hard.

I always think its a shame to throw a bike away. I just put them in to semi retirement. Marc.
Old 12-04-07, 05:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol, dump it? I don't think so... it rides fine, it might need a new block or something, so what - I still save £200 minimum, and get a much better bike. It owns the others I was looking at, in every way. I really like it. I clocked 29mph yesterday, haha.
Old 12-04-07, 08:01 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good on you, get it cleaned and polished! and keep riding it! .Marc.
Old 12-04-07, 09:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a new block on it today and that solved the problem of the chain skipping. I also bought a Brooks B17, £35 so not too bad.
Old 12-04-07, 02:00 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well first of all, I think you have a bargain -assuming it's in decent condition (good tyres, no dents, drivechain not worn, etc), which is hard to tell from the photos. Dawes are touring classics.

What would I do? Check the bottom bracket, wheel bearings and headset for smoothness and visually inspect the frame carefully for anything that might be questionable and then thoroughly clean it and lube it with proper lube. Then I'd probably spend some money and buy some brake levers with hoods -these will allow you another hand position. Secondly, it looks like those handlebars have been wrapped with electrical tape -get some decent cork tape. Thirdly I'd probably get new brake and gear cables all round. Finally, I'd invest in some Koolstop brake pads to improve braking performance. I'll guess that all this would cost maybe around 60 pounds depending on the brake levers you buy?

Once that's all done, I'd just ride it and enjoy. In the future, and depending on how much you like the frame, I *might* invest in a newer drivechain with barcons or STIs, but that is more personal preference. Drawbacks for this bike? If you really want that newer drivechain and since the wheels are 27", a newer drivechain would mean a new hub (cassette system rather than freewheel) and either you'll have to relace the wheel yourself or pay someone to do it. Those 27" wheels are a drawback as well in terms of less tyre and rim choice, but not enough to prevent it being a good bike, more of an inconvenience.

As I said, assuming it's in good condition, I'd have bought it! However, if you want STI or barcon shifting and 8+ speeds, then maybe I would have given it a second thought and asked for a lower price (the price of purchasing a new drivechain as described is really so close to the cost of a new bike with that drivechain that I'd recommend just buying that new bike). But... the frame, it's lovely and a classic.

One last caveat: I do notice it's a double -depending on your load and fitness and gearing, this may make this bike hard on you on steep hills.
Old 12-05-07, 12:42 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
That's a bit harsh Rowan! if he's going to dump it then he may as well strip it down, learn how to rebuild it and adjust the derailleur. As most of us know its not that hard.

I always think its a shame to throw a bike away. I just put them in to semi retirement. Marc.
It's not harsh at all. Go to the Long Distance forum and examine the thread there on his plans. Frankly, yes, he could strip and rebuild, but by later this month? No way.

We've already seen one naive dreamer here led down the proverbial garden path by misguided encouragement of fellow posters, and it almost cost her her life.

I did say for him to let others (who know much more about these things) be aware where he dumps it so they can collect it and do justice to its restoration.

The guys knows nothing about cycling mechanics, let alone cycling long distances in one day. All the advice about what he could do with it will just be confusing, and won't be of any help between now and when he intends to start his "adventure"

My advice is sound.

And yes, he's already had a dig at my advice and my sig line.
Old 12-05-07, 03:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
It's not harsh at all. Go to the Long Distance forum and examine the thread there on his plans. Frankly, yes, he could strip and rebuild, but by later this month? No way.

We've already seen one naive dreamer here led down the proverbial garden path by misguided encouragement of fellow posters, and it almost cost her her life.

I did say for him to let others (who know much more about these things) be aware where he dumps it so they can collect it and do justice to its restoration.

The guys knows nothing about cycling mechanics, let alone cycling long distances in one day. All the advice about what he could do with it will just be confusing, and won't be of any help between now and when he intends to start his "adventure"

My advice is sound.

What's wrong with you, man? I repeat, the bike is in good condition, has been done-up and tuned before I bought it, has no obvious problems, and there's no ****ing way I'm just going to dump it. Why would I need to strip it and rebuild it? Tell me what (you think) is wrong with it.

And I haven't "had a dig" at anyone here, dude. Unless you mean some unusual definition of "had a dig"...
Old 12-05-07, 06:21 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rowan:

yes, I read the long distance thread, and I agree that it's much more likely this is going to end prematurely than not. The only thing Joe has going for him is that it sounds like he's young, and those younger guys (who perhaps lack a little foresight and experience ;-) can put up with a lot, and you never know. For what it's worth, at age 14-15 I set off on a Raleigh Arena 5-speed friction shift, rock hard solid plastic saddle, electrical tape wrapped bars without usable hoods, no gloves or spd pedals and managed 100 miles in a day (furthest prior to that was maybe 25 miles?), and then cycled to my part-time job in the evening. I look back at that and just think how silly I was -I don't think I even had a puncture repair kit or pump!!! Point is, at that time in my life, I would have thought that Galaxy would have been real luxury, and I'm sure many people thought I wouldn't make it but I did (still wasn't a good idea though, and I did have the luxury of not having panniers!).

But back to the bike; I'll still stand by that it's not a bad bike for the money and assuming it's in decent shape and that he doesn't want the niceties and convenience of at-hand index shifting. I am however, in complete agreement with you -I will say that his idea of 150 miles in one day with nary a sight of training is a very, very bad idea.

Originally Posted by Rowan

My advice is sound.

Old 12-05-07, 07:01 AM
Just ride it.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks like a lovely ride! Very nice with lots of character. Enjoy it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.